Options

Sept 8th Site Issues (can't upload & speed)

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Just wondering what's up... Blog says you're okay to go, but when I try to upload, the page won't load...

Thanks! I just have a client waiting for photos.

Andi
    The blog only says they are out of read-only. It does not say the issue is fixed or they are done working on it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    donkeyotedonkeyote Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 8, 2009
    In the meantime
    I've been visiting a lot of sites by posters on this thread. So much knowledge and talent everywhere ! The only issue was visiting sites that are powered by SmugMug--very sloww. Makes you wonder what's really going on back there in the server room pit. I do have mercy, but it's the lack of transparency that's starting to fire my desire for refunds and tasteless angry blog posts. I hate it when I get to that point. Usually a waste of my time.

Wasting time - last upload almost made it - Yippee!! almostheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    ClubFlysClubFlys Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Too many errors!
    Uploading images and receiving "Read Timed Out" and "Error writing request body to server"

What gives?

capture2s.jpg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    donkeyote wrote:
    but it's the lack of transparency
    I'm really sorry, please do read our status blog, we're very open and have nothing to hide.

http://smugmug.wordpress.com
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2009
    Just wondering what's up... Blog says you're okay to go, but when I try to upload, the page won't load...

Thanks! I just have a client waiting for photos.

Andi
    Hi, we've not given an all-clear, I'm sorry!
  • Options
    RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    FWIW, smugmug seemed to run much smoother before the switch to akime? servers. Whereas I do feel that smugmug does openly share info about their problems, it is the sheer amount of problems which seem to be occurring lately. BTW, the last update to the blog was 4 hours ago and I still can't upload pictures or browse my galleries without waiting 5 minutes for pages to load. Reminds me of the days of dial-upne_nau.gif
    A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com
  • Options
    donkeyotedonkeyote Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 8, 2009
    Status Blog
    The status blog suggests things are fine per the last update--awhile ago. Obviously that has not been the case. Why emphasize using the blog when it would appear to be only aggravating the problem. Keeping it more current would solve that issue.

On the upside, I have just finished my uploads and curiously, a lot of the failed attempts (Lightroom and browser) showed up. I would advise people to check the filenames as I'v had some images stripped of the original name.

all the best ..Ed
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Sorry, I misread it. I just thought being out of read-only would mean that I could upload...

I'll keep checking.

Thanks
  • Options
    SaddleShotsSaddleShots Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 8, 2009
    Tick-tock-tick-tock
    Tick-tock-tick-tock....*sigh* ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    RealitytouristRealitytourist Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    No, the blog says it's out of read-only, not that anything is fixed. Right now I am trying to upload files to a gallery, or rather add files to the gallery that didn't completely upload yesterday, and using the Java uploader, it's sending pretty much every other file. It will upload a file, then the next file will say errors, retrying. If I click the Stop upload button, and then the Upload button, there's a 50-50 chance that file will upload; otherwise, the uploader discards it and moves on to the next.

Good thing I'm in the trial period, I have 13 days left. I REALLY want to like and use SM.
    Mike
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but in my observations, several times the message Out of read only was the ok message. For example

9/1 back out of read-only. thanks for your patience and sorry for the inconvenience

8/14 - Out of Read Only mode.

..now the 9/1 message seemed a bit more like an all clear, but 8/14 looks just like the way your blog sits now. However you are saying we need to wait for the all clear.

Perhaps if everyone at Smugmug could use an exact language to communicate messages along with updating your blog at least once an hour when there are issues, you wouldn't have to wade through this many posts and not leave some of your customers quite as frustrated.
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Oh, one comment about the blog... I really love that you have it, but because I read it using RSS, it doesn't update if you edit the post, unfortunately....

Just thought I'd suggest that you make a separate post when it's all fixed up again. or even as each update is made... (It clutters up my RSS, but I don't always think to check the blog.)

Thanks for listening - as always.
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2009
    jww wrote:
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but in my observations, several times the message Out of read only was the ok message. For example

9/1 back out of read-only. thanks for your patience and sorry for the inconvenience

8/14 - Out of Read Only mode.

..now the 9/1 message seemed a bit more like an all clear, but 8/14 looks just like the way your blog sits now. However you are saying we need to wait for the all clear.

Perhaps if everyone at Smugmug could use an exact language to communicate messages along with updating your blog at least once an hour when there are issues, you wouldn't have to wade through this many posts and not leave some of your customers quite as frustrated.
    We're trying to standardize on 'all clear' I'm sorry for the confusion in the past, we'll work on that!
  • Options
    lyneInSFlyneInSF Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    So is it working or not? I'm quite confused here and yes need to upload photos again. Given that I cover professional sporting event, the photos must be uploaded in a timely matter, two nights of no uploads is unacceptable.

I do understand that everyone is working hard to fix the problem, but please understand that this is my reputation.
  • Options
    PhotolisticPhotolistic Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    I cant load photos
    When I try to add a gallery and photos it just says "page cannot be displayed"

I have tried safari and fire fox
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2009
    When I try to add a gallery and photos it just says "page cannot be displayed"

I have tried safari and fire fox

I'm very sorry. Updates soon, I hope!
  • Options
    psenior1psenior1 Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Can you please at least put a message at the top of the screen explaining that there are problems, else new visitors to my site are going to think its always as slow...
    website - http://www.snrmac.com
    facebook - my facebook page please LIKE me!
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2009
    Not really working, I just completed my upload attempt, got 32 errors, either "read timed out" or "error writing request body to server." I think about half of the list I had queued made it online.

Is there some way to save or print the error log? If nothing else, it would me know which files to re-try later, without scanning the gallery for bad thumbs.
    Mike
  • Options
    johnnymkejohnnymke Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 8, 2009
    AAaaaaaRrrrggggggggggg!
    Andy wrote:
    Guys, sorry for the hassle. Ops is on it.
    http://smugmug.wordpress.com/2009/09/07/9809-uploading-issue/

Still having Issues! Please fix! I have work to do!

John

http://www.John-Michaels.com
  • Options
    johnnymkejohnnymke Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 8, 2009
    AAaaaaaRrrrggggggggggg!
    Still having upload and speed issues! Please, PLEEEEASE Fix. I have work to do and I'm on a deadline!
  • Options
    Amburgey PhotosAmburgey Photos Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 8, 2009
    Not Uploading!!!
    Everyone still having problems uploading? I'm still having issues since last night. It's driving me crazy. Anybody heard anything?

Amburgey Photos
    www.amburgeyphotos.com
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
  • Options
    byronphotobyronphoto Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 8, 2009
    Please Address The Issue Smugmug!
    I had one of the biggest shoots of my career today - and was totally crippled. I am upset to the point where I may cancel my smugmug and find another site for managing my content. This is totally unprofessional that you have not put a message up on your site indicating that there is an issue!
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2009
    byronphoto wrote:
    I had one of the biggest shoots of my career today - and was totally crippled. I am upset to the point where I may cancel my smugmug and find another site for managing my content. This is totally unprofessional that you have not put a message up on your site indicating that there is an issue!
    Hi Byron,we have: http://smugmug.wordpress.com has our updates. This is an unusual thing for us, we regret it of course. I'm really sorry it's been rough on all of us. We'll post updates as soon as we have them.
  • Options
    DigitalRiverPhotoDigitalRiverPhoto Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 8, 2009
    Thanks for the updates, Andy. I am frustrated with the site issues as well, but I realize it isn't your fault. Thanks for doing all you can.

Beth
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2009
    I have to agree about the notice on the home page, or perhaps someplace that's duplicated to all pro sites. I'm not having any problem now actually viewing galleries, but since there's a problem uploading, our clients need to know there's an issue. It would be good for Smugmug to say there's a problem, to back up the photographer telling the client "Well, there's a problem with the site..." while the client goes "yeah, right."
    Mike
  • Options
    valeriecookvaleriecook Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Still no upload using StarExplorer
    Trying StarExplorer and the "Replace Photo" tool - no upload, period. It is 7pm Central time Sept 8.headscratch.gif
  • Options
    JETAJETA Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Andy, do they know what's wrong and will there be a resolution soon?

TY!
    JETA
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2009
    JETA wrote:
    Andy, do they know what's wrong and will there be a resolution soon?

TY!
    I promise, as soon as we have a meaningful update, we'll post it to the status blog.

• Options
    jpineaujpineau Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Byron,we have: http://smugmug.wordpress.com has our updates. This is an unusual thing for us, we regret it of course. I'm really sorry it's been rough on all of us. We'll post updates as soon as we have them.

Andy - you say the blog has your updates but the last update was over 7 hours ago - 13:02 - now 8:08 PM EST and simply stated "13:02 – back out of read-only" - what is that suppose to be telling all of us trying to get some work done and keep clients happy???