Toughest edit session I've ever done...

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited November 27, 2009 in People
Here are a few pics of my new Grand Nephew. His name is Levi, and he's 5 weeks old here. The little fellow had a heck of a time after birth and was in the hospital for the first 3 weeks.

He conquered those hurdles and came home to his parents. Two weeks and everything was well. I got a call that they were over at my parents house, so I grabbed my camera gear and my lighting bag and headed over to meet the little fellow.

By the time I got there, I only had about 15 minutes to set-up and get some shots before they had to go pick-up his sisters at school. No body was expecting a photo shoot and non were eager to have their pictures made. But, I convinced his mom, my dad and my mom to sit for a few shots.

Three days later, little Levi was in the hospital fighting for his life. The doctors say he has brain damage from lack of oxygen, and the part of his brain affected is the part that tells his body to breath.

We don't fully know his prognosis, but the doctors say that if he makes it, he will never be anywhere close to normal and will have to wear some type of monitor to go off when he stops breathing.

Well...

The images that I took that day have been requested by my family. I sat down and edited them today. Suffice to say, this was the toughest editing session that I've ever done.

I'm posting Levi's images and this story to request a prayer for the little guy if your so inclined...
Randy

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Randy,
    Praying for him right now.
    I am just so glad you have these photos for them.

He sure is a sweet little guy.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    :cry :cry
    May he and your family have healing and strength through this.

-a
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    damn..dude *sigh* sorry to hear that.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    My prayers are with you and family Randy. These are lovely and they will cherish them for life....such a sad story. I can see why these would be the toughest to edit.....lost for words here.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    I am choked up looking at the pictures of such a beautiful child and reading your story.

You did a good thing. They are beautiful pictures that I hope will be cherished. I wish the best for Levi and the family.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 16, 2009
    Aw shucks, that's so sad, Randy. :cry The pictures and the boy are just beautiful. Life can be so cruel sometimes. Wishing the best for you, the family, and the little guy.

-joel
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    SO beautiful and tender. My prayers are with your family.

Caroline
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    You and your family will be in our prayers Randy.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Heather, Andrew, Qarik, Dave, Rainbow, Joel, Caroline & Dave, thank you for your kind words and prayers.
    Randy
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Oh, what a sad story this is. I'm so sorry for your family. Praying for a miracle...
    The images are beautiful. I'm glad you were able to make them happen.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    First, and foremost, I will add your great-nephew to my prayer list.

Second, thank you for sharing your story---I can't imagine how difficult it was to edit and share... However, for me personally, it serves as a reminder---taking photos is important, but, it's JUST AS IMPORTANT to be IN photos. Kudos to your parents and kudos to you for that persistence!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Hi Randy, and sorry to hear about your Great Nephew. I know how you feel, cause I have a great nephew that was born with down syndrome, and a defective heart. Because of everyones prayers and the love and care of the doctors and nurses, he is alive today. I'm sure that with all the prayers that are being said from the group here, your Great Nephew will beat the odds. Just to let you know, I've put him on the top of my prayer list!

Now for the photos. I love them all, but the ones of him with mom are my favorites.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • mtbparkermtbparker Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Having an 11-month old of my own, I know just how much heart and soul you pour into these itsy-bitsy little creatures. All my thoughts go out to you and them. I will include them in my prayers.

Tom
    Tom Parker
    edited November 16, 2009
    Elaine, Marjohn, Gary & Tom. Thanks for the prayers and well wishes. Gary, I'm glad to hear about your Great Nephew's progress.

Again, Thank you all...
    Randy
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Randy, babies having a way of proving doctors a bit hasty in their prognosis, I pray little Levi will surprise them all.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Morris On LocationMorris On Location Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Sending prayers your families way...
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    It's so sad. Best wishes...
  • TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Tears and prayers...
  • cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    Randy, babies having a way of proving doctors a bit hasty in their prognosis, I pray little Levi will surprise them all.

This is exactly what I was thinking and will be praying that this is the case.

the photos are lovely Randy. Glad you convinced them to have them done. Levi looks so peaceful with his Mother.
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    I am so sorry to hear of his issues. I know that the parents are now glad that you were there to take this little guys pictures and will always cherish them. He is precious!!

Praying for the Lord's will be done in his little life. Praying for complete healing.

Keep us posted on him please!
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
    edited November 17, 2009
    Trudy, Morris, tisun, TPBinKC, cr8ingwaves & David. Thank you for your prayers and support. I'll update with any significant news when we hear it.
    Randy
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Beautiful
    No doubt these are very special images.

I pray the doctors are wrong and I hope your family finds comfort in knowing that there are many here wishing you all strength.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Your family is in my thoughts and prayers Randy.

I'm glad you grabbed your gear and took those beautiful shots of little Levi and the family.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • 00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    prayers sent Randy - and special photos indeed.
    Devin
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,084 moderator
    edited November 17, 2009
    Randy,

I too send my very best wishes to Levi and his family. He is in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you and your family find strength in love and in faith.

Your images are wonderful as usual and they help us to understand about how special Levi is.

I truly hope for the best, and I know that you've already helped with your images and with your caring.

Kevin
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    wow. i briefly looked at these photos yesterday (?) and didn't get a chance to read what you had wrote. Now after reading my heart has sunk. Life just isn't fair some times. Why a baby so beautiful and innocent has to go through life this way isn't right.

May God give you and your family strength, clarity, and care for you all.
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
    edited November 17, 2009
    Kathy, Liz, Devin, Kevin & CyberSteak. Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and prayers.

I DO believe prayer helps ~

Update 11/17

Levi has undergone another scan and testing. It has now been determined that he DOES NOT have brain damage that the first scans showed. The doctors don't know why the change, but I think we do!

He is still in the hospital, but is doing well at this point clap.gif

I want to thank each of you for your prayers and support. I believe it helped make the difference.
    Randy
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Kathy, Liz, Devin, Kevin & CyberSteak. Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and prayers.

Update 11/17

Levi has undergone another scan and testing. It has now been determined that he DOES NOT have brain damage that the first scans showed. The doctors don't know why the change, but I think we do!

I want to thank each of you for your prayers and support. I believe it helped make the difference.

clap.gifclap.gif That is incredible news!!!!! I looked at this thread yesterday but hadn't had a chance to post yet...however I was thinking about that sweet little baby all night last night and was sad for your family and him. Keep us updated and we will keep praying for Levi!
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    :D:D:D
    Well you've gone and made my day.
    Everything else just seems like small potatoes doesn't it?
    Liz A.
    _________
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    rwells wrote:

Update 11/17

wings.gifThanks for the terrific update!!!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography