Options

The Packages Help Thread

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    Ack my bad - and thank you! I've already requested this feature of our developer.

Thanks! thumb.gif Can I get an ETA? just kidding! ;)
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    Looing good
    I finally had the time to put together some packages and this looks real good to me. And easy. Thanks for this.

One suggestion... The text "Buy Package from this Pro" should be changed in my opinion. It just seems tacky to me. It could be simpler.

Monte
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2010
    Packages Suggestions
    I have a suggestion for the packages creation feature.

The thumbs are too small to see what you are ordering. You have a feature when moving photos where there is a little icon on the thumb that when moused over the thumb gets larger so you can recognize the image. This would be a huge asset for customers trying to choose images.

So far so good. This is a great addition to SM!
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    Is there a way to not have a set package. ie 1-8x10 - - 2- 5x7 -- 4 -4x6...........but rather just have a declining price as multiple photos are picked. I've never had cut and dried rock solid packages but rather just gave discounts on custom bilt packages??.......That way no one was tied to what I think they should buy, but got just as great a deal and got EXACTLY what they, the client, wanted.

This is what coupons are for. Set up tiered coupons that either give increasing percentages or increasing dollar amounts off of different levels of minimum orders.

For example I've done $10 off an order of $35 or more, $15 off an order of $50 or more, and $25 off an order of $75 or more.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    LumpyLumpy Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 23, 2010
    Package Products
    How am I able to access all the products available from bay photo for packages, ie memory mates for sports? also all of bay photos products for regular website?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    Lumpy wrote:
    How am I able to access all the products available from bay photo for packages, ie memory mates for sports? also all of bay photos products for regular website?
    We do not yet have all the products from Bay Photo. The ones we do sell are here:

http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog/ABP
  • Options
    Stephan PhotosStephan Photos Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    Okay, real-time need here. Last week I went through and created all my packages. Is there a way to copy a package and change something simple such as...

Glossy to Lustre?

I need to change all of mine from glossy to lustre like now and don't have the time to recreate all my packages from scratch!

Also (but not critical right now), I also want the option of metallic print packages and have the ability to maintain the same profit margin just bump the client cost to cover the added material expenses.

Thanks in advance!
    Kurt
    My Flickr Photostream
    My Website Stephan Photos
    Nikon D300 | 24-70mm 2.8 | 70-200mm 2.8 | 50mm 1.4D | SB-800 Speedlight | Gitzo 1325 w/Markins M20
  • Options
    Stephan PhotosStephan Photos Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    Okay, real-time need here. Last week I went through and created all my packages. Is there a way to copy a package and change something simple such as...

Glossy to Lustre?

I need to change all of mine from glossy to lustre like now and don't have the time to recreate all my packages from scratch!

Also (but not critical right now), I also want the option of metallic print packages and have the ability to maintain the same profit margin just bump the client cost to cover the added material expenses.

Thanks in advance!
    Kurt

I found my own answer! Anyone else with the problem here's what you do:

Changing glossy to lustre to metallic, etc.:
    1. Open package editing
    2. Open particular package
    3. Click on plus sign
    4. Uncheck the finishes you DON'T WANT
    5. Check the finishes you DO WANT
    6. Click on Save which will change all your stuff at once within the package.

It would still be nice to be able to copy packages, but this will do for now.
    My Flickr Photostream
    My Website Stephan Photos
    Nikon D300 | 24-70mm 2.8 | 70-200mm 2.8 | 50mm 1.4D | SB-800 Speedlight | Gitzo 1325 w/Markins M20
  • Options
    BMMImagesBMMImages Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2010
    I'd just like to say how much I LOVE the new packages setup. I just used it to set up my standard portrait print packages for my clients, and it was super easy, and the clients have commented on how nice it is for them.

This was the one I was waiting for, and it was worth the wait, so thanks Andy and gang. Kick butt!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Nimai wrote:
    +1

That was my first impression too. "Who is 'this Pro'?"

(But please to accept my sincere gratitude for getting this feature in!)
    You can now customize this text to make it anything you want using customization #25 here.

So, you can change Buy "Package from this Pro" to "View Packages" or "Buy Package of Prints" or whatever you want (and remove the words "this Pro").
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    sbresslersbressler Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Selecting photos to buy in package
    Is the only way currently to add photos to a package (from the customer standpoint purchasing photos) by using the drag-and-drop interface? I wish it could pull from the cart or I could mark a photo for use in the package deal when browsing the gallery.

I have a package that is drawing photos from 4 galleries, each with >600 photos. It is almost impossible for a user to find the photos they want from >2400 choices. I hope there's an easier way I can share with my customers that I'm just missing.

Thanks,
    Scott
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2010
    jfriend wrote:
    You can now customize this text to make it anything you want using customization #25 here.

I think you meant here.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited April 5, 2010
    I think you meant here.
    Customization #25 on my link points you to the link you have so you end up the same place.

I tend to refer people to the list of customizations just so they get a chance to see what other customizations are available - but your link is a quicker way to get there.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2010
    jfriend wrote:

So, you can change Buy "Package from this Pro" to "View Packages" or "Buy Package of Prints" or whatever you want (and remove the words "this Pro").

Tried to add this to the bottom javascript section but nothing changed.
    Still says "Buy package from this Pro"

http://kootenay.smugmug.com/Pee-Wee-Provincial-Girls/Victoria-Icehawks/11406066_7eLN4#805469952_aAJda
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2010
    jfriend wrote:
    Customization #25 on my link points you to the link you have so you end up the same place.

I tend to refer people to the list of customizations just so they get a chance to see what other customizations are available - but your link is a quicker way to get there.

Ahhh, I see now. I thought the page with the lions was a list of steps to implement one customization. I didn't scroll down enough.
    -Jack

• Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Montec wrote:
    Tried to add this to the bottom javascript section but nothing changed.
    Still says "Buy package from this Pro"

http://kootenay.smugmug.com/Pee-Wee-Provincial-Girls/Victoria-Icehawks/11406066_7eLN4#805469952_aAJda
    There's a type-o in the script. I'm sure it will be fixed soon. This line is missing a close curly-brace before the semicolon at the end of the line.

var itemsToChange = {"Package from this Pro" : "Special deal package of photos"};
    </pre>
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2010
    Nimai wrote:
    There's a type-o in the script. I'm sure it will be fixed soon. This line is missing a close curly-brace before the semicolon at the end of the line.

var itemsToChange = {"Package from this Pro" : "Special deal package of photos"};
    Fixed, a little while ago. Thanks for pointing it out.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    RealitytouristRealitytourist Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    Glad to see packages added, just in time, too. I have a session scheduled that I did last year and had packages printed locally, hopefully the clients will be able to figure out how to do this.

Two comments/gripes, though:

1. I think the packages should be right in with the a la carte pricing. When I add a package to a gallery, the customer should be able to open up the price list and find the packages right there, along with individual print pricing. I expect my customers to be buying packages PLUS a few extra prints, and I don't think they should be navigating between screens so they can place that order.

2. The wholesale pricing isn't REAL package pricing. Package pricing is usually based on 8x10 units (1 8x10 or 2 5x7 or 8 wallets or 3 3.5x5 prints, or even combos like 1 5x7 and 2 3.5x5). In this case, other than wallets, we're not getting whole or half unit pricing. So if I create a package including 2 5x7, I'm still paying for the wholesale price of 2 5x7s. Which means I can't pass along good discounts to my customers.

Will EZ or Bay be offering real unit packages soon?
    Mike
  • Options
    tumbleweedphotostumbleweedphotos Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 30, 2010
    [1. I think the packages should be right in with the a la carte pricing.]

I agree that packages should be presented in the a la carte pricing list.

[2. The wholesale pricing isn't REAL package pricing.]
    Checking Bay Photo ROES for prices I found a relatively small discount for package pricing over a la carte.
    For example:
    1 - 8x10
    1 - 5x7
    4 - wallets

Bay Photo package price: $3.83
    Bay Photo a la carte price: $4.09
    A .26 difference.

Bay doesn't seem to offer a 4 wallet a la carte, so I used the 5x7 price.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Mike, would you mind adding your suggestions to our uservoice pages? That way other users can easily vote and comment on them.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    Is there a way to make download packages?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2010
    Erick L wrote: »
    Is there a way to make download packages?

Thanks

No Erick, they are not - wish I had a better, different answer for you:

http://releasenotes.blogs.smugmug.com/2010/03/06/photo-packages-and-event-marketing/
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2010
    Is it planned? How do people go around this? It's a little strange to have a Pro account and having to use external services, or even CD/DVD via snail mail to sell digital files over the internet.

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2010
    Is it planned? How do people go around this? It's a little strange to have a Pro account and having to use external services, or even CD/DVD via snail mail to sell digital files over the internet.

Thanks.
    we expect to add them... add your voice here, too :)
    http://smugmug.uservoice.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/598877-private-packages-digital-downloads-for-packages?ref=title
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2010
    I might have a way around using coupons. Some questions...

Is there a way to download in bulk? If no, how slow/complicated is downloading individual images from the cart?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2010
    I might have a way around using coupons. Some questions...

Is there a way to download in bulk?
    Not yet - but it's on the front-burner.
  • Options
    infaith photographyinfaith photography Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 10, 2010
    PAckage included with Session
    Hello! This is my first post and I am so appreciative for this forum and all the help I have gleaned from it. I did a search and couldn't find anything on this...

I made a "special Package" for Mother's Day - session and a few prints for one price (of course with the hopes they will buy more on top of that). When I went to create a package for that part and make it zero cost (due to them prepaying me for the session), it wouldn't let me.

I have enough in my account to cover the cost of the prints. How would I go about doing this? Looking back I should have investigated this idea before I created it.

I do love the package feature. I would really appreciate any advise on how to handle this - I am sure it is a very newbie smugmug mistake on my part!

Thanks! Mary
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2010
    I made a "special Package" for Mother's Day - session and a few prints for one price (of course with the hopes they will buy more on top of that). When I went to create a package for that part and make it zero cost (due to them prepaying me for the session), it wouldn't let me.

I have enough in my account to cover the cost of the prints. How would I go about doing this? Looking back I should have investigated this idea before I created it.

Price the package as normal. Create a Print Credit coupon for that exact amount and give it to your customer.
    -Jack

• Options
    infaith photographyinfaith photography Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 10, 2010
    Price the package as normal. Create a Print Credit coupon for that exact amount and give it to your customer.

Thank you so much! I love this place! wings.gif
  • Options
    oceanthrstyoceanthrsty Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Yay for sales coming in! But I have had a bunch of people order stuff individual that I've setup as a package. Yes I'm making more money. But I think in the long run I would sell more packages. My issue is that people don't really see that a package is available.

They click "BUY" then "This Photo" But are glancing over the packages. Packages are a potential for a HUGE money maker and I can't afford to have people miss them.

Can adding a photo to a package be made easier especially since my users have to flip through many galleries?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!