Options

Down again?

denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
edited April 5, 2010 in SmugMug Support
Is smug down?

My homepage is showing with red x's or is sometimes jumping to www.smugmug.com.

I just tried to access a friend's non-customized site, and I can see her gallery titles but no thumbs.

Nothing on the status blog...
What's up?

--- Denise

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Engineers are aware and on it.
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Must be down, I am having site issues as well Denise.

Only some of my images load.

Here we go again.....number 9! ne_nau.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    Engineers are aware and on it.
    Same bat-time, same bat-channel as the last few days it seems. Not going to continue to be a daily occurrence after today I hope.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    Same bat-time, same bat-channel as the last few days it seems. Not going to continue to be a daily occurrence after today I hope.

It's not that easy to pack up our stuff and leave, so the gremlins (aka: glitches) kind of have the upper hand. rolleyes1.gif It does really suck though...it's the worst I've seen it since I joined. :cry
  • Options
    audiaudi Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    phew...i thought it was just me.

I VERY recently (like a hour ago) finished a 3-days worth of revamping my site, getting a facebook fan page, coupon marketing, etc. only to find that my site was full of red x's.

Glad to see it's something for the smugsters to take care of and not something I did wrong! :D
    "See how willingly Nature poses herself upon photographers' plates. No earthly chemicals are so sensitive as those of the human soul. "
    -John Muir

http://www.austinbphotography.com

Nature Photographers Community
    Founding Member
    http://www.smugmug.com/community/NaturePhotographers
  • Options
    Rip WilliamsRip Williams Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2010
    Lol... of course...
    The local Gubernatorial candidate and his designers are standing by... waiting for images from our shoot. Drat... Smug down. I guess it's back to plain old FTP for the moment.
    Photography is always an adventure! wings.gif
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Everything I've tried to upload in the last 20 minutes reports "bad AlbumID" or "too many bytes written". MacDaddy reports errors too. I have massive event uploading to do, hope this is quickly cleared, and will be watching this space. eek7.gif
  • Options
    CloudnineCloudnine Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Guess it was a bad time to publish a fresh wedding gallery thismorning - wish I could unsend that group e-mail.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Jeffro wrote:
    It's not that easy to pack up our stuff and leave, so the gremlins (aka: glitches) kind of have the upper hand. rolleyes1.gif It does really suck though...it's the worst I've seen it since I joined. :cry
    The occasional aarrggghh is fine. But it seems really unusual that it is occurring about the same time everyday. headscratch.gif But we know the engineers are on the case. thumb.gif
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Seriously...9 out of the past 31 days with site issues and we're supposed to be okay with one liners on the smug support blog??? How about a detailed explanation and/or a plan for how to address these very frequent outages?
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    I suspect there's something else going on. I'm guessing cyberattack? There's no way that SM would be down this much due to something stupid.. They're not n00bs. At least, I HOPE that's not the case.

But, I agree.. A detailed post about what's going on, if possible, would be very welcome.

David
  • Options
    ToxMoxToxMox Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    DrDavid wrote:
    But, I agree.. A detailed post about what's going on, if possible, would be very welcome.
    David
    I concur.
  • Options
    mtnbikermtnbiker Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    status says all's good....still having same problem
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    All clear on status. Have broken images all over the place for me.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    Most big websites have post-event explanations. It would be nice for SM to post that.
  • Options
    SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    UGH! Twenty-five minutes to upload a video slideshow and in the middle of it processing I'm staring at an outage screen that I'm slowly learning to dislike.

As much as I like all the new gadgits you're giving us, maybe you need to take a breather and get the bugs out while the system has a chance to settle down. Statistically you may look good on downtime, but since the last upgrade the gap between outages is past the annoying stage.

Phil
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    ToxMox wrote:

All clear? Mine is worse than it was.....ne_nau.gif Come on guys git 'er done!

And yes a real explanation would be nice. Having to go to a blog to see:

Site problems.

Seems stupid, obviously there is a problem....a little more please.
  • Options
    lyneInSFlyneInSF Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    ToxMox wrote:

ditto. very frustrating.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    SunGlo wrote:
    UGH! Twenty-five minutes to upload a video slideshow and in the middle of it processing I'm staring at an outage screen that I'm slowly learning to dislike.

As much as I like all the new gadgits you're giving us, maybe you need to take a breather and get the bugs out while the system has a chance to settle down. Statistically you may look good on downtime, but since the last upgrade the gap between outages is past the annoying stage.

Phil
    We have 12 Sorcerers - and none of them are involved with the Operations stuff, separate groups.

We're sorry for the problems of late, our team is working to identify the issue and then stabilize things of course. We don't like it any more than you do, promise!
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    They've removed the all-clear.. It now says, "Not much longer".

Post-mortems would go a long way to making these problems go away. They serve as both an explanation to customers AND a way to make the issues more public so that a solution can be found to recurring issues.

Anyways, just my 2-cents.

David
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    ToxMox wrote:
    Not yet.
  • Options
    daylightimagesdaylightimages Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    I'm trying to upload photos to a new gallery, and while the first few seemed to upload just fine, the gallery never appeared in its sub-category. Now the upload is bombing out.

This is the first time *ever* that I've uploaded photos on three consecutive evenings -- and every time the site's gone down. Maybe it's my fault...
    Steve Barry
    The Railroad Photographer
    www.railroadphotographer.com
  • Options
    kaymagkaymag Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Hang in there!!
    Andy wrote:
    We have 12 Sorcerers - and none of them are involved with the Operations stuff, separate groups.

We're sorry for the problems of late, our team is working to identify the issue and then stabilize things of course. We don't like it any more than you do, promise!

Hang in there Andy!! I know you'll get us back on track!

There will always be complaints and none of us enjoy down time without a doubt, but I've got to say that I had tried several sites before arriving at Smugmug and your service still stands high above most others (or at least the ones I've witnessed).

Just wanted to throw out some encouragement during a time of obvious hair pulling moments!!
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    Not yet.
    In my defense it did say all clear when I wrote that then several minutes later that was deleted and replaced with "we identified the problem and are working to restore the site, hopefully not much longer."
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    ToxMox wrote:
    In my defense it did say all clear when I wrote that then several minutes later that was deleted and replaced with "we identified the problem and are working to restore the site, hopefully not much longer."
    Of course, no worries!
  • Options
    chest2tankchest2tank Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    This is a sign from the universe to get up from the computer. I've been staring at it too long myself, so I'm going to go for a motorcycle ride :-D
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    I think my videos did it.. I posted some SmugMug tutorial videos, and the bandwidth needed to play it for the millions of people who went to watch it, must have killed SM. Sorry!

Links: http://www.wolfsnap.com/Smug-School/SmugMug-Training-and-Tutorials/11583654_94J3v
  • Options
    audiaudi Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Maybe it's my fault...

Lol, can't say I haven't wondered the same about me. rolleyes1.gif
    "See how willingly Nature poses herself upon photographers' plates. No earthly chemicals are so sensitive as those of the human soul. "
    -John Muir

http://www.austinbphotography.com

Nature Photographers Community
    Founding Member
    http://www.smugmug.com/community/NaturePhotographers
  • Options
    R.LeonardoR.Leonardo Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Wish I had a motorcycle. Instead I have a call from a client who can't get at her gallery.

:rambo
    R. Leonardo
    www.RobArtPhoto.com
    Whether he is an artist or not, the photographer is a joyous sensualist, for the simple reason that the eye traffics in feelings, not in thoughts. -Walker Evans
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    eoren1 wrote:
    Seriously...9 out of the past 31 days with site issues and we're supposed to be okay with one liners on the smug support blog??? How about a detailed explanation and/or a plan for how to address these very frequent outages?

I'm very concerned about this. This is from the MX race I shot last weekend;

SMw.jpg

Saturday is opening day for my soccer league. I hope this gets fixed REAL soon. There is no way that I can get through soccer, and baseball/softball season with a host site that is having this many problems.