Options

Down again?

Comments

• Options
    Pinto PonyPinto Pony Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2010
    :( Not impressed. I am a fairly new customer to smugmug and all this downtime is not impressing me.

Also I was having trouble with my youtube and ezs3 accounts this past week. Something related?? Anyone else use these and getting issues too?
  • Options
    DigitalRiverPhotoDigitalRiverPhoto Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2010
    This is really starting to irk me; we just renewed a few days ago in spite of all the issues lately. Now when I was attempting to show a client a few galleries, I can't. Not impressed at all, guys.
  • Options
    SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    We have 12 Sorcerers - and none of them are involved with the Operations stuff, separate groups.

We're sorry for the problems of late, our team is working to identify the issue and then stabilize things of course. We don't like it any more than you do, promise!

Sorry Andy, I wasn't trying to imply you guys weren't working your butts off trying to fix things. I just though maybe it might be a good idea to stabilize the system before SM adds any more "bells and whistles".

Phil
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    R.LeonardoR.Leonardo Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    You know I have been trying not to say anything for awhile now. I don't want to be hyper critical and am understanding maintaining and updating, and the fact that I do believe SmugMug to be great in so many aspects, but this is indeed becoming irritating. Today marks the third time in the last 6 months I have had three separate clients say something to me. Not complaints as such, but certainly put off. I have to start wondering, how many times is there issues and POTENTIAL clients don't stick around. Even maintenance time seems a bit repetitive. A website is 80% of my drive to existing and potential customers. 90% of my 2010 marketing budget will be to get people on my site, all hours of the day... I need 100% all the time. Too much to ask/expect?
    Perhaps I just don't understand the complexity of this service. Perhaps this is normal among any server system. headscratch.gif
    I can't imagine doing photography full time with the ups and downs of my web host.
    R. Leonardo
    www.RobArtPhoto.com
    Whether he is an artist or not, the photographer is a joyous sensualist, for the simple reason that the eye traffics in feelings, not in thoughts. -Walker Evans
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    SunGlo wrote:
    Sorry Andy, I wasn't trying to imply you guys weren't working your butts off trying to fix things. I just though maybe it might be a good idea to stabilize the system before SM adds any more "bells and whistles".

Phil

Why are you sorry? You didn't break it.....did you? ne_nau.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    R.LeonardoR.Leonardo Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    SunGlo wrote:

Phil

Dido.
    Trying to see the bigger picture, most of us know it is not SM intention to have issues.

Solid agreement on the bells and whistles slow down and more for total stability-- even though there is a high cry for more bells!
    R. Leonardo
    www.RobArtPhoto.com
    Whether he is an artist or not, the photographer is a joyous sensualist, for the simple reason that the eye traffics in feelings, not in thoughts. -Walker Evans
  • Options
    SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Jeffro wrote:
    Why are you sorry? You didn't break it.....did you? ne_nau.gif

I'm beginning to think I did...every time I have a deadline and rush to get things uploaded the system crashes...maybe if I had smiled while I was uploading my file it wouldn't have happened...ya think?
    :fish
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    SunGlo wrote:
    ...maybe if I had smiled while I was uploading my file it wouldn't have happened...ya think?
    :fish

Well it couldn't hurt....try it next time. :D
  • Options
    OscarcOscarc Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    R.Leonardo wrote:
    Solid agreement on the bells and whistles slow down and more for total stability-- even though there is a high cry for more bells!

If the problem causing the instability is in SmugMug's software, I would agree. I get the feeling, though, that the problem is operational in nature (unstable database server, load balancer issues, network switch flakiness, or something along those lines), and is not something that can be broken or fixed by changes in the SmugMug codebase.

That doesn't excuse the issue, though. It just shifts the blame from Engineering to Ops :-)
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    Oscarc wrote:
    If the problem causing the instability is in SmugMug's software, I would agree. I get the feeling, though, that the problem is operational in nature (unstable database server, load balancer issues, network switch flakiness, or something along those lines), and is not something that can be broken or fixed by changes in the SmugMug codebase.

What did you say....headscratch.gif

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Oscarc wrote:
    If the problem causing the instability is ...
    someone using Nikon again.
  • Options
    4cornerscrystals4cornerscrystals Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2010
    Ugh.

This is starting to kill my sales.

I have to evaluate how much work it would take to switch out.

:hung
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    There sure are a bunch of little red x's in the threads tonight...which means there are a bunch of little red x's on the other forum's I frequent...:(:
  • Options
    ChillerChiller Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    headscratch.gif Im just glad I didnt mess up my site again. wings.gifclap.gifwings.gif
  • Options
    mickeyjuicemickeyjuice Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2010
    Did a shoot for a major Govt. department, and am now sending .zip files around. Sub-optimal.
  • Options
    coilyphotoscoilyphotos Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2010
    I am on my 14 day trial... is ti worth buying.... I just tried to send the album to my first client through smugmug and she must think I am insane, b/c it is bugging out on her... how professional I must look!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    chest2tank wrote:
    This is a sign from the universe to get up from the computer. I've been staring at it too long myself, so I'm going to go for a motorcycle ride :-D

yyyeaaaaah!!! cept i don't have a street legal bike anymore... mine is track only. :D
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Ugh.

This is starting to kill my sales.

I have to evaluate how much work it would take to switch out.

:hung
    We hope you'll stay - this is a temporary thing and we're confident our Ops team, led by our CEO & Chief Geek Don MacAskill will not just fix what's happening now, but make SmugMug stronger and better for the long run.
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    on a side note... my site (seppes) is acting up something fierce...i can still see most of the pics...but entire categories are fading in and out on me... a whole category just came up as "empty" a second ago, then it came back. my top image (which is hosted on smugmug) dissapeared too. oh yeah...and i can't upload anything. :D

letting the public know what happened might quell peoples' anger/distrust/whatever, methinks... unless, of course, one of your sourcerers casted some evil juju spell onto the smugmug servers... i wouldn't post that.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    I am on my 14 day trial... is ti worth buying.... I just tried to send the album to my first client through smugmug and she must think I am insane, b/c it is bugging out on her... how professional I must look!rolleyes1.gif
    Yes, we're having some Ops issues this week - overall our availability and performance has been amazingly high. I'm in your shoes, too, and I promise that we'll get better!
  • Options
    brecklundinbrecklundin Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    R.Leonardo wrote:
    You know I have been trying not to say anything for awhile now. I don't want to be hyper critical and am understanding maintaining and updating, and the fact that I do believe SmugMug to be great in so many aspects, but this is indeed becoming irritating. Today marks the third time in the last 6 months I have had three separate clients say something to me. Not complaints as such, but certainly put off. I have to start wondering, how many times is there issues and POTENTIAL clients don't stick around. Even maintenance time seems a bit repetitive. A website is 80% of my drive to existing and potential customers. 90% of my 2010 marketing budget will be to get people on my site, all hours of the day... I need 100% all the time. Too much to ask/expect?
    Perhaps I just don't understand the complexity of this service. Perhaps this is normal among any server system. headscratch.gif
    I can't imagine doing photography full time with the ups and downs of my web host.

Just so you know, industry standard is that anything under 99.9% guaranteed UPTIME is completely unacceptable. This is KILLING me business wise. I pay and demand what I pay for, no more, no less. If I had sent any of my clients here as a way to create a business presence online I would be getting the part of me that goes over the fence last chewed off right now. As it is I am losing $1000s thanks to this current issue and that absolutely no exaggeration, I WAS hosting images for ebay listings here but will have to stop it completely and go back to my primary server as SmugMug is a service I consider completely unreliable. And to top it off, no mention of compensation for the failures. We are NOT getting what we are paying for...

As of right now, I will NOT be renewing come June/July...not worth it for me, not even close.
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Did a shoot for a major Govt. department, and am now sending .zip files around. Sub-optimal.

Same here, needing to upload ~200 photos from this week, but hang in there. I'm just happy / relieved that it's down at night and not mid-day when the staffers are trying to view the pics of their 3-star General's that I took this week (have an event to photograph tomorrow with a 4 star).

Our site soft-opened at the beginning of the year and has had a million photo views so far thumb.gif

And as for the explanations; I can only imagine that posting details would get the SM staff absolutely INUNDATED with suggestions and 'all you have to do is this' fixit plans from us Monday mornin' quarterbacks. :D
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    Just so you know, industry standard is that anything under 99.9% guaranteed UPTIME is completely unacceptable. This is KILLING me business wise. I pay and demand what I pay for, no more, no less. If I had sent any of my clients here as a way to create a business presence online I would be getting the part of me that goes over the fence chewed off right now. As it is I am losing $1000s thanks to this current issue and that absolutely no exaggeration, I WAS hosting images for ebay listings here but will have to stop it completely and go back to my primary server as SmugMug is a service I consider completely unreliable. And to top it off, no mention of compensation for the failures. We are NOT getting what we are paying for...

As of right now, I will NOT be renewing come June/July...not worth it for me, not even close.
    I hope we can improve things between now and then so we can change your mind - we'd hate to see you go. And if you do decide that, please email me attn Andy at our help desk.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Chiller wrote:
    headscratch.gif Im just glad I didnt mess up my site again. wings.gifclap.gifwings.gif
    Now we know who the real culprit is: Spicoli. :D:D
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    I promise that we'll get better!

Andy Obama speaks the truth.....rolleyes1.gif:D
  • Options
    OscarcOscarc Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Jeffro wrote:
    What did you say....headscratch.gif

rolleyes1.gif

The problems may not have anything to do with the software. It's like blaming Microsoft for your computer crashing when it's really a dying hard drive on your system.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    Oscarc wrote:
    The problems may not have anything to do with the software. It's like blaming Microsoft for your computer crashing when it's really a dying hard drive on your system.

I never blame Microsoft, I blame Bill Gates himself....:D
  • Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Great...I gave a Grad class until March 31st to tag their 6 favorites for proofs. Actually insisted on it at the parents meeting. Now I am getting calls that they can't get access. One family is leaving in the morning for the long weekend and will not be back until Tuesday...this is going to set me back a week getting proof packages out. I can't even get the last sittings images up so they can choose, the family rushed all over this afternoon to get their kid in to the studio to make the deadline. I am probably going to need to give some free product as compensation just to make it up to them.

Edit: I am sending them to a Flickr page...that should do it.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    4cornerscrystals4cornerscrystals Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    We hope you'll stay - this is a temporary thing and we're confident our Ops team, led by our CEO & Chief Geek Don MacAskill will not just fix what's happening now, but make SmugMug stronger and better for the long run.

I understand what you are saying, but as an ebay seller, a few hours down time at the wrong time is death.
  • Options
    exploregonexploregon Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2010
    I totally agree with 4corners. The majority of the bids usually come within the last couple hours of an auction end. If people can't see the product, then no more bids. An item that would generally sell for $150 that ends up selling for $25 really hurts the bottom line. Multiply that by 50 listings...........ouch.