Options

smugshot iphone app

robigoukrobigouk Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited October 15, 2012 in SmugMug Support
Hi

the smugshot app for the iphone updated the other day. I've noticed now that it see's video clips on my iphone and also allows me to shoot video but when I "choose" it to add it to my upload queue it just exits the app.

I'm assuming it's meant to work? Anybody else noticed this? I'm excited as being able to upload video from my iphone will be great!

Anybody at smugmug know anymore?

cheers

Rob.

Comments

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    I was hoping there would be a Smugblog Release Notes entry explaining what to expect from this update.

I also updated my Smugshot when the update appears in the App Store. I had the same problem as you, content hits the queue and then the application quits. I fixed it by going into the Smugshot settings from the Settings app, and turning on Reset on Next Launch so that it would wipe all the preferences. You'll have to set up your login again, but it fixed the crashing.

However, I seem to still be having the same problem that caused me to stop using Smugshot months ago: When I receive the original at my Smugmug account, there's no EXIF in the image at all. Which I think is weird since there's a Smugshot setting for Always Geotag. Not sure what good that's doing if all geotag info gets stripped on the way out with the rest of the EXIF data.
  • Options
    robigoukrobigouk Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    colourbox wrote: »
    I was hoping there would be a Smugblog Release Notes entry explaining what to expect from this update.

I also updated my Smugshot when the update appears in the App Store. I had the same problem as you, content hits the queue and then the application quits. I fixed it by going into the Smugshot settings from the Settings app, and turning on Reset on Next Launch so that it would wipe all the preferences. You'll have to set up your login again, but it fixed the crashing.

However, I seem to still be having the same problem that caused me to stop using Smugshot months ago: When I receive the original at my Smugmug account, there's no EXIF in the image at all. Which I think is weird since there's a Smugshot setting for Always Geotag. Not sure what good that's doing if all geotag info gets stripped on the way out with the rest of the EXIF data.

Hi and thanks for the feedback. I've tried the reset you suggested but it still crashes when I try to upload a video. It says "trimming video", starts to trim and then just exits.

Anybody from smugmug know about this?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    I've asked our developer to have a look and then post here.
  • Options
    mondopiccolomondopiccolo Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 27, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    I've asked our developer to have a look and then post here.

Hello,
    any news on this? I also have the same problem: if I try to upload a video with Smugshot, the app crashes.

Thanks,
    Matteo
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    Matteo,

As far as I know, SmugShot currently doesn't support video uploading.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    sirshannonsirshannon Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 30, 2010
    I came here looking to see why SmugShot hasn't worked since I upgraded to the new iPhone. I had the same "crashing when upload begins" problem with photos as stated above. Resetting the app's settings did the trick. Thanks for posting this!
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2010
    Hi guys, update your app it works great on iOS4, new version today... thanks.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    Can smugshot be set so that it uploads 720p video without compressing it?
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2010
    eoren1 wrote: »

If you film with SmugShot, yes!
    http://don.blogs.smugmug.com/2010/07/01/upload-iphone-4-hd-video-over-the-air/
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    smugshot iphone app
    I have not updated to the new iPhone OS on my 3Gs and this new version 2.0
    is only for iOS4. The previous version has disappeared from itunes so how
    would anyone update or load the appropriate version?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2010
    Allen wrote: »
    I have not updated to the new iPhone OS on my 3Gs and this new version 2.0
    is only for iOS4. The previous version has disappeared from itunes so how
    would anyone update or load the appropriate version?

Update to iOS4. It's da bomb.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2010
    Update to iOS4. It's da bomb.
    In the original iOS4 web interview there was mention that the maps/location
    app would not work. I use this a lot, is it true?
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2010
    In the original iOS4 web interview there was mention that the maps/location
    app would not work. I use this a lot, is it true?
    Mapping works thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2010
    Mapping works thumb.gif
    Thanks, now all I have to worry about is, do all the purchased apps have to be re-installed.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2010
    Thanks, now all I have to worry about is, do all the purchased apps have to be re-installed.

No, Al. Sync & Backup to iTunes and then when you update all will work fine thumb.gif
  • Options
    booblianbooblian Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 4, 2010
    Hey Gang, I'm really loving the speed and improvements to the new iOS4 smugshot app... it's a fantastic upgrade! I find myself using it more and more... but there's two things I'd like to suggest... in the previous version the thumbnail scroll list for the photo gallery started at the bottom with the latest images, and now it defaults to the top with no way to change it that I can see? I have over 300 photos currently in this list and it's a real drag to have to scroll all the way to the bottom, submit the image and then do it all over again for the next image. And that's the other thing, could we be able to select or 'tag' multiple images for uploading in one go? Like you can select multiple images for sharing via email etc in the default iPhone gallery app? Muchas Gracias!
  • Options
    peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Lame! Is this a limitation of iOS or Smugshot?? Because I've used the new Pixelpipe on several occasions linked up to my Smugmug account & I can browse AND upload 720p clips that I had already filmed. It retains the quality of the original clip during upload as well.

No offense, but I'd recommend Smugmuggers use that app until Smugshot gets this implemented.
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    Lame! Is this a limitation of iOS or Smugshot?? Because I've used the new Pixelpipe on several occasions linked up to my Smugmug account & I can browse AND upload 720p clips that I had already filmed. It retains the quality of the original clip during upload as well.

No offense, but I'd recommend Smugmuggers use that app until Smugshot gets this implemented.

Its out for review to Apple, give it a week.

Sam
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Shizam wrote: »
    Its out for review to Apple, give it a week.

Sam
    Still, your wording in the App Store isn't correct:
    NOTE: Apple doesn't let anyone, including us, get existing high-res video from your Library. If you want to upload HD video, you need to use SmugShot to shoot it and upload it immediately, rather than retrieving it from your Library later.

Like I said, PixelPipe does & is officially approved in the App Store to do just that. Its a bit of false advertising IMO.
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2010
    Still, your wording in the App Store isn't correct:

Like I said, PixelPipe does & is officially approved in the App Store to do just that. Its a bit of false advertising IMO.

At the time I thought this was the case, upon further investigation I was wrong hence the new revision out to Apple right now.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    Is there any reason a search for 'smugshot' in AppStore doesn't find the app? I'm in uk and searching on an iPad, it does show other apps eg the free iPad specific app and then two other iPhone apps (smugshow and smugwallet) but no smug shot app??
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2010
    Stustaff wrote: »
    Is there any reason a search for 'smugshot' in AppStore doesn't find the app? I'm in uk and searching on an iPad, it does show other apps eg the free iPad specific app and then two other iPhone apps (smugshow and smugwallet) but no smug shot app??

Searching for smugshot is working here in the US App Store. Not sure why it'd be different across the pond.

Link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smugshot/id284129416?mt=8
  • Options
    latensifiedlatensified Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 9, 2010
    Usability Problems
    It's painful to upload existing photos from your library. When you try to do this, it scrolls to the oldest photo in your camera roll. I almost always want to upload a photo I took recently, which is at the bottom of my roll. I have over 3000 pictures in my camera roll, so scrolling takes awhile, especially since the app is so painfully slow at scrolling (and this is on iPhone 4). Then, once I've found the photo I'm looking for and select upload, I get dumped back at the top of the camera roll again! It's so painful to use I don't know how anyone could have the patience to upload photos like this. I don't remember the previous upload process exactly, except that I could use it. The new version of the app makes it useless.
  • Options
    DavidWoofDavidWoof Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    Searching for smugshot is working here in the US App Store. Not sure why it'd be different across the pond.

Link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smugshot/id284129416?mt=8

Andy - you're not quite right on this; it all depends where you search from. If you do a search through the app store on an iPad, Smugshot no longer appears, as after your most recent update(s), it is no longer compatible with that platform.

I was going to raise a separate thread on that issue, but this seems a sensible place to link it to.

Any indication of when Smugshot will work on the iPad once again?

Thanks,

Dave.
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    ...and obviously, I'm hoping the answer isn't going to be "wait until iOS4 comes out for the iPad"!

Thanks,

Dave.
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    DavidWoof wrote: »
    ...and obviously, I'm hoping the answer isn't going to be "wait until iOS4 comes out for the iPad"!

Thanks,

Dave.

A new version that works on OS 3.1.3, 3.2 and 4.0 is ready and about to be on review.

How bout that answer :)
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    Shizam wrote: »
    A new version that works on OS 3.1.3, 3.2 and 4.0 is ready and about to be on review.

How bout that answer :)

That would definitely class as the best possible answer ;-)

Thanks,

Dave.
  • Options
    StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2010
    Agreed, cheers all.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • Options
    booblianbooblian Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 13, 2010
    Awesome!! ;-) The list ordering is fixed in the latest update as well as access to the other galleries in the photo browser... now what about tagging for multiple/bulk uploads? Pretty please? Is it doable?

-j
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2010
    booblian wrote: »
    Awesome!! ;-) The list ordering is fixed in the latest update as well as access to the other galleries in the photo browser... now what about tagging for multiple/bulk uploads? Pretty please? Is it doable?

-j

Certainly dooable, I'll put it on the feature request list and see about how to do it when I have my hands in there next.

Sam
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer