Options

smugshot iphone app

Comments

• Options
    booblianbooblian Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 13, 2010
    Muchas Gracias in both hemispheres at once. Would make my upload sessions muuuch easier and faster...

-j
  • Options
    invariantinvariant Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 15, 2010
    Should the EXIF data be sent in this new version? I'm not seeing it in a newly uploaded photo.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    Hi Invariant and welcome to Dgrin! wave.gif

Right now, the new version isn't out yet. Can you give it another try once it is out to see if it works the way you want?

If not, please provide some more details on which device / app and iOS version you used to take the photo.
    Also link us to the photo in question on SmugMug that was uploaded with SmugShot.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    shaweetzshaweetz Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 15, 2010
    Can't wait to check this out when it hits the app store. wings.gif. No iPad to smug path right now except for email :cry
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    New version is out, works on all devices OSs now: 3.1.3, 3.2 (iPad) and 4.
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    Shizam wrote: »
    New version is out, works on all devices OSs now: 3.1.3, 3.2 (iPad) and 4.

clap.gif
  • Options
    shaweetzshaweetz Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 28, 2010
    Nice, thanks. I'm a little confused, given the debate above, about the res of the images that SmugShot is sending up. On my iPad camera connect kit I've tried pulling in RAW and JPGs and both seem to use the low-res previews, as before. Copy paste both jpg and iPad-converted RAW at least yield more res than is being sent up by SmugShot.

It's likely that it hasn't been updated yet to get higher res versions (or it can't be, though I notice Photogene and Filterstorm both have a note about insufficient memory), but I'm just making sure I haven't missed something obvious.
  • Options
    bohdankbohdank Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    I just installed the app and it keeps thelling me my email address/password is incorrect. I've taken great pains o make sure I typed it in correctly, 3 times. Is there somethihg I need to do at my Smugmug account end to get the app to connect ?

Forgot. Iphone 3GS running OS4.0.1
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2010
    shaweetz: You're not missing anything, as far as I can tell I still can't get access to the full res photo files on the iPad (OS 3.2), on the old iPhone OS I could only ever get up to 640x480 (OS 3.1.x) and on the new iOS 4 I can get any resolution I want so I'm thinking its an issue with the older OSs.

@bohdank: You shouldn't need to do anything extra to get it to work, you can also try just your nickname instead of your email address, so if your smugmug site is username.smugmug.com use 'username'.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    Are we ever going to get any EXIF data especially date taken? Also ability to add a file name?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2010
    Yes yes and yes. They're on the docket for the next minor rev.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    I've searched around but I can't find any info on this - is there a way to upload the original size image to my smugmug site from the smugshot app - it always seems to upload a reduced size version.
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2010
    Allen wrote: »
    Are we ever going to get any EXIF data especially date taken? Also ability to add a file name?
    Yes yes and yes. They're on the docket for the next minor rev.
    Any update on this? Didn't seem to make it into any revisions.
  • Options
    madeinsteinmadeinstein Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 28, 2010
    Lame! Is this a limitation of iOS or Smugshot?? Because I've used the new Pixelpipe on several occasions linked up to my Smugmug account & I can browse AND upload 720p clips that I had already filmed. It retains the quality of the original clip during upload as well.

No offense, but I'd recommend Smugmuggers use that app until Smugshot gets this implemented.
    Its out for review to Apple, give it a week.

Sam

Should this work now? I mean uploading existing HD videos from IPhone to SmugMug without compression? I've got IPhone 4 with iOS 4.1 and it looks like it still does compression.
  • Options
    peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    Should this work now? I mean uploading existing HD videos from IPhone to SmugMug without compression? I've got IPhone 4 with iOS 4.1 and it looks like it still does compression.

Yeah, its def doing something to it on upload & still states "compressing" before upload. It retains 720p, but still. Would rather it just upload the file like it is.

I still think Pixelpipe is the way to go. It uploads straight to the site without doing anything extra.
  • Options
    HorsepoordadHorsepoordad Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 23, 2010
    Any news on the update to fix the EXIF?
  • Options
    afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    This thread seems to have died. Is there any update on the outstanding questions? I'll add my own: I'm unclear if full res photos are uploaded with exif data through smugshot???

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2011
    afarber wrote: »
    This thread seems to have died. Is there any update on the outstanding questions? I'll add my own: I'm unclear if full res photos are uploaded with exif data through smugshot???

Thanks!
    The only thing I see making it up is the geo data. The date is the worst thing
    that's missing. It does upload the full res.
  • Options
    surfmonkey89surfmonkey89 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Is the smugshot app dead? I've been waiting patiently for an update that makes it work more like the iPad version, but it's been so long I'm wondering if I should just delete it and go in another direction.
    Paul
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2011
    Is the smugshot app dead? I've been waiting patiently for an update that makes it work more like the iPad version, but it's been so long I'm wondering if I should just delete it and go in another direction.

stay tuned.. some stuff is in the works.
  • Options
    twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    How about the smugmug iPad app - now there is something that seems to have been completely abandoned - still doesn't work for me and needs some serious updates - the navigation along is terrible - I just reinstalled it today and upon launch and sign in it crashes repeatedly - ugh! So unlike smugmug to not have fixed this things months and months ago.

Andy wrote: »
    stay tuned.. some stuff is in the works.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2011
    We really need date taken on SmugShot so they'll sort in a gallery.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2011
    How about the smugmug iPad app - now there is something that seems to have been completely abandoned - still doesn't work for me and needs some serious updates - the navigation along is terrible - I just reinstalled it today and upon launch and sign in it crashes repeatedly - ugh! So unlike smugmug to not have fixed this things months and months ago.
    Both are being dealt with and I hope that your patience will be rewarded fairly soon.

Thanks.
  • Options
    surfmonkey89surfmonkey89 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Thanks for the quick response, Andy. I really appreciate it.
    Paul
  • Options
    NygrenNygren Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2011
    Ok, it's almost been a year and still:

1) No EXIF data is uploaded with images. Geo data is uploaded if the image is taken within Smugshot, but when choosing an image from the photoroll not even the Geo data makes it through. No EXIF data makes the app useless to me, and probably to most people.

2) Video shot outside of Smugshot still recompresses. This needs to be fixed. There's no way I'm gonna use Smugshot every time I shoot a video. I do not know in advance which videos I'll end up using on Smugmug.

edit: 3) Playing around some more with SmugShot and I realize that it compresses still images as well. The resolution is maintained, but the image is recompressed resulting in lower quality of course. The original image is about 1,3 Mb in size, but when uploaded with SmugShot it is compressed to approx 800 Kb. This goes for images captured both within SmugShot and with other software. This needs to be fixed too, of course.

To make things even worse, Pixelpipe, which used to be the solution to all these problems, doesn't support Smugmug at all since a couple of months. This happened after an API change on the Smugmug side and Pixepipe refuses to answer why they haven't updated to the new API...

So, any news on these features to actually make Smugshot usable? ne_nau.gif If Smugmug is anything like Flickr then the iPhone 4 probably counts for quite a lot of the images uploaded. That makes it even more important to make the only way of uploading from that device work properly.
  • Options
    phototristanphototristan Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2011
    Nygren wrote: »
    Ok, it's almost been a year and still:

1) No EXIF data is uploaded with images. Geo data is uploaded if the image is taken within Smugshot, but when choosing an image from the photoroll not even the Geo data makes it through. No EXIF data makes the app useless to me, and probably to most people.

2) Video shot outside of Smugshot still recompresses. This needs to be fixed. There's no way I'm gonna use Smugshot every time I shoot a video. I do not know in advance which videos I'll end up using on Smugmug.

edit: 3) Playing around some more with SmugShot and I realize that it compresses still images as well. The resolution is maintained, but the image is recompressed resulting in lower quality of course. The original image is about 1,3 Mb in size, but when uploaded with SmugShot it is compressed to approx 800 Kb. This goes for images captured both within SmugShot and with other software. This needs to be fixed too, of course.

To make things even worse, Pixelpipe, which used to be the solution to all these problems, doesn't support Smugmug at all since a couple of months. This happened after an API change on the Smugmug side and Pixepipe refuses to answer why they haven't updated to the new API...

So, any news on these features to actually make Smugshot usable? ne_nau.gif If Smugmug is anything like Flickr then the iPhone 4 probably counts for quite a lot of the images uploaded. That makes it even more important to make the only way of uploading from that device work properly.

Hi Nygren, when you upload via SmugShot are you doing so on wifi or 3G? If via 3G, I believe Apple forces a compression unless you are on wifi. This is not likely something we can get around unfortunately.
    Tristan
    Suport Hero
    Smugmug
    http://help.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2011
    Hi Nygren, when you upload via SmugShot are you doing so on wifi or 3G? If via 3G, I believe Apple forces a compression unless you are on wifi. This is not likely something we can get around unfortunately.

Apple forces nothing Tristan. Ever since iOS 4 (I think) devs have full access to images and videos. If Pixelpipe can do it, so can you.
  • Options
    phototristanphototristan Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2011
    To reiterate Andy above, stay tuned! :)
    Tristan
    Suport Hero
    Smugmug
    http://help.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2011
    To reiterate Andy above, stay tuned! :)

It's just that I've been tuned in for almost a year. Starting to get a bit frustrated to if I'll ever be able to use SmugMug the way I intended to when I joined. :(:
  • Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2011
    Thanks, Andy. Waiting patiently... :eat
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)