Options

Dgrin Meetup: SF Bay Area Photowalk

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
[imgr]http://www.schmootography.com/Landscapes/Cityscapes/fog-cityb/688554170_YXYbN-S-2.jpg[/imgr] Clear your schedules and grab your 'pods! It's been too long since any significant number of NorCal Dgrinners have stood in the same spot at the same time, and that needs to change.

How about a little meeting, greeting and grubbin'? We're thinking Saturday, October 2nd, meeting in the late afternoon to do a little street shooting, walking along the Embarcadero and seeing how the sunset pans out. If the weather sucks, we can duck into the Ferry Building, get something to eat and maybe try some night shots after the sun sets at 7 PM.

With tons of people, buildings, merchants, bridges, boats and the Bay, there'll surely be a little something for everyone.

More details to be posted as we firm things up. It'll be so awesome to meet all the local Bay Area peeps... as well as any visiting Dgrinners who may be in town!

All in favor, say aye. :ear

Comments

• Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    Aye! Sounds like a great time :ivar:ivar
    Travis
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    Aye! Aye! Captain! :D
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    Cool! Posted on Twitter & FB also :D
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    Are you going to update this page with more details? Should we look for a FB invite?
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    leftquark wrote: »
    Are you going to update this page with more details? Should we look for a FB invite?
    Keep your eyes posted to this thread -- even better, subscribe to it. mwink.gif

I'll come back with details about meeting time/place, maps, possible meandering paths, transportation deets, etc.
  • Options
    RikkiRikki Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    Oh man! I've been waiting for something like this but I'll be in Albuquerque for the Balloon Festival :P

I wanna come next time! Keep me posted!

Rikki
  • Options
    rmtammrmtamm Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 7, 2010
    I'd love to.
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    ...can I crash on someone's couch? lol3.gif Dang, I wish I lived out there already. Sounds awesome!
  • Options
    ghammaghamma Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 7, 2010
    Great idea!
    Walking along the embarcadero in the fall - why not?
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    And then after that, drive 4 hours to Yosemite for some night shots, take a 1 hour nap in the car (optional!) and shoot sunrise?

Wish I could join you, but I'll probably be fighting bears in the North Cascades (they want to eat the huckleberry, I want to photograph it!).

I've said this before, but that is a fantastic shot - the fog and colors are wonderful.
  • Options
    dhlewisdhlewis Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    If I'm in town I'm in. BTW is Andy coming, or is he just pretending to help coordnate??

dale@dhlewisphotography.com
    http://dhlewisphotography.com
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    The Mrs. & I are in!
    oops, I mean aye aye!
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote: »
    And then after that, drive 4 hours to Yosemite for some night shots, take a 1 hour nap in the car (optional!) and shoot sunrise?

Wish I could join you, but I'll probably be fighting bears in the North Cascades (they want to eat the huckleberry, I want to photograph it!).

I've said this before, but that is a fantastic shot - the fog and colors are wonderful.

Hmmm...sounds tempting!
  • Options
    tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    Aye.
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    ...and maybe try some night shots after the sun sets at 6 PM.

Oct 2, 20107:06 AM6:51 PMSunset is at 6:51pm
    Moon will set at 3:36pm so it won't be around.
    The only place we will be able to see the actual sunset will be up by pier 39. Do you have an idea on where we will start/finish?
    Oct 2, 20107:06 AM6:51 PM
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2010
    It sounds like it's going to be awesome! wings.gif I don't actually know if Andy's planning on being on the west coast at that time, but he's helping get the word out around there. I know there are tons of Dgrinners in this area that are probably still in the woodwork, so it sure doesn't hurt to get the message out.
    coscorrosa wrote: »

Thanks, mate, and that's a spanking good idea! Schmavis is up for it, but don't know if anyone else is. lol3.gif

Hey don't forget your bear bells. If you get mistaken for a huckleberry, there are a lot of Milky Way shooters that will be very very sad.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    Please post the details when they are available!!!

I am in.

Sam
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    Ohhhhh bummer! I moved to the bay area last month, but my boyfriend and I are going to a work conference in Atlanta from October 1st-6th so we won't be here :( Otherwise I'd totally be game... hopefully we can go next time though!
  • Options
    fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    At last! Finally a reason/an excuse to go into the city just to shoot - woohoo! Thanks for putting it together.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2010
    If I ask really nicely can there be one at the end of October also? I have to head out to SF for a convention November 1 through 7. Might just sneak in early :)
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,909 moderator
    I think this is a fine idea. Even the part about Yosemite. It's only 3 hours and a bit of change if you're in SF.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    I am in if the work schedule will cooperate. Sounds like a good way to spend the evening. If not Yosemite maybe some Sandhill Cranes the next day??
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    If I ask really nicely can there be one at the end of October also? I have to head out to SF for a convention November 1 through 7. Might just sneak in early :)

I'm all for another one at the end of October since I'll be out of town for this one :)
  • Options
    DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2010
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2010
    I have gotten a better idea of my schedule it looks like arrive on Oct 27 leave Nov 8. Most of the 1st week is vacation including the weekend of Oct 30. Any interest in doing one then as well?

Please excuse any typos or shortness of text, big fingers, small portable device.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2010
    I've got a wedding in Chicago on October 30th, but I'll be back in town after that.
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2010
    ooo... I might be game for this! It's been awhile since I've hung out with dgrinners. I'll keep watching for details!
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2010
    Do we have a time/location for the Oct. 2nd meet up yet?
  • Options
    Bendr wrote: »
    ooo... I might be game for this! It's been awhile since I've hung out with dgrinners. I'll keep watching for details!

Hey Ben! I had no idea you were a CA Dgrinner, since Glacier was long before I moved out here. It would be great to see you out. thumb.gif

The original discussion involved meeting at 4-ish, walking by that big statue with the bow, shooting around Pier 7 and food, but let's defer to April for more specific suggestions such as where to park if you're driving in.
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    Wish I could tag along but I have a prior commitment (that's "furlough week" at my daughter's school so we're spending the unexpected week off school doing cool family stuff).