Options

Dgrin Meetup: SF Bay Area Photowalk

Comments

• Options
    tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    Not only I met a bunch of great people, I had a chance to play with a Lensbaby. Despite numerous shots that were out of focus, here are some ok ones.

1. Lensbaby likes Travis
    1032073662_uiHby-XL.jpg

2. Our fearless leader
    1032075069_n7Uv4-XL.jpg

3. Lensbaby does landscape
    1032073839_W9tKL-XL.jpg

1032074117_6HX8b-XL.jpg

1032074438_ycXhh-XL.jpg

6. Street junk
    1032076078_aMF5k-XL.jpg

7. Street scene
    1032075322_VEvUA-XL.jpg

8. It was a little cold
    1032076870_fVicY-XL.jpg

1032077408_FnjLL-XL.jpg

10. Checking out the goods
    1032078004_bwMJo-XL.jpg

11. Train ride home
    1032078219_bxWet-XL.jpg

--Anthony
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited October 4, 2010
    Looks like a great time was had by all!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    So many great shots, looks like a good time had by all. Sorry I missed out on it. Maybe the next one.:D
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    Here's a gallery of mine, lightly processed in Lightroom.

The scene of the crime.
    1033179361_3Ds9i-L.jpg

Another take on the chilly bridesmaids.
    1033181546_x86Jp-L.jpg

Our fearless leader.
    1033165291_U2xYT-L.jpg

Beer. Its what's for dinner.
    1033167267_C8cGz-L.jpg

The paparazzi
    1033169939_stiBx-M.jpg

and the star
    1033170736_3bVaG-M.jpg

Streetcar
    1033172182_K98s7-L.jpg

Reflection
    1033173067_77nZi-L.jpg
  • Options
    fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    uh-oh
    It was good to find out that I suck at "Street" photography! Laughing.gif

If you suck at street photography that must mean that I'm not even on the scale. bowdown.gif

Had a fab time - great getting to meet everyone and it is so fun to see what everyone else came up with and to see different POVs.

I'm definitely in for any future SF meetups!

Now to see if I can remember how to post photos..

1034700161_59rWV-M.jpg

"Cheese, Gromit!"
    1034700319_WrvNX-M.jpg

1034700518_itU2o-M.jpg

Biggest regret of the day was not asking this guy about his sign!
    1034700965_D5Gah-M.jpg

1034701499_wmEoq-M.jpg

Okay, so I take photos of weird stuff.
    1034701576_uosiq-M.jpg

Like I said...
    1034701674_w4VtG-M.jpg

Tourist shot.
    1034701937_TCvbk-M.jpg

Not sure who left the empty beer bottle :|
    1034702067_Y8EAA-M.jpg

Vortex view of trolley after too many aforementioned empty bottles...
    1034702248_JhAZ7-M.jpg

Ghost feet crossing road after vortex trolley passed.
    1034702344_3Pqty-M.jpg

1034702551_DUSkm-M.jpg

Ghost busters?
    1034702668_wq7b7-M.jpg

Personal fav shot.
    1034702803_Kpg6V-M.jpg

Looking forward to the next one! Thanks to April for heading this up! thumb.gif
  • Options
    callouscallous Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 5, 2010
    http://photos.moltengods.com/smackdown100210/

Some photos at the link above. Being a noob I'm not quite sure what the best way to put them into the message is.

#4231 [IMG]http://photos.moltengods.com/messageboards/Smugmug Embarcadaro-4231.jpg[/IMG]

#4247 [IMG]http://photos.moltengods.com/messageboards/Smugmug Embarcadaro-4247.jpg[/IMG]

#4250 [IMG]http://photos.moltengods.com/messageboards/Smugmug Embarcadaro-4250.jpg[/IMG]

#4254 [IMG]http://photos.moltengods.com/messageboards/Smugmug Embarcadaro-4254.jpg[/IMG]

#4255 [IMG]http://photos.moltengods.com/messageboards/Smugmug Embarcadaro-4255.jpg[/IMG]

#4268 [IMG]http://photos.moltengods.com/messageboards/Smugmug Embarcadaro-4268.jpg[/IMG]

#4273 [IMG]http://photos.moltengods.com/messageboards/Smugmug Embarcadaro-4273.jpg[/IMG]

#4293 [IMG]http://photos.moltengods.com/messageboards/Smugmug Embarcadaro-4293.jpg[/IMG]

#4299 [IMG]http://photos.moltengods.com/messageboards/Smugmug Embarcadaro-4299.jpg[/IMG]

#4306 [IMG]http://photos.moltengods.com/messageboards/Smugmug Embarcadaro-4306.jpg[/IMG]

#4314 [IMG]http://photos.moltengods.com/messageboards/Smugmug Embarcadaro-4314.jpg[/IMG]

#4331 [IMG]http://photos.moltengods.com/messageboards/Smugmug Embarcadaro-4331.jpg[/IMG]
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2010
    Nice shot of the Husky thumb.gif
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    Bendr wrote: »
    Thanks, You got some great shots too! I love the yapping dogs!

And I'm impressed... you got through a lot of shots very quickly, I spent few hours on mine, and I've still got plenty more to work through... :)
    That's because I didn't edit any. Just adjusted in raw, converted and uploaded. :D
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2010
    There are some seriously awesome shots being put up here!
    And yeah, ordering a Lensbaby soon! Love those shots.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    Holy poo guys, your shots of the evening are awesome! Cal I am in love with your shot of the Transamerica Pyramid and I hate that building normally lol3.gif And now I know what you were doing lying on the pier.

Karen your shots came out beautifully. And now I know your Dgrin name (only a few days too late) thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    Karen your shots came out beautifully.
    Thanks!
    And now I know your Dgrin name (only a few days too late) thumb.gif

Ah, but it is never too late! :D I am just now kicking myself for finding a setting on my camera for noise reduction for long exposures... I suppose that gives me a valid excuse to have to come down and shoot again! clap.gif Either that or go Canon. mwink.gif
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    It was just amazing to see everyone and just reinforces my belief that dgrin is the best photography community. Between insanity at work and the thought of running a half marathon the very next without enough training, my brain was somewhere else other than photography.

I made a list, checked it twice, charged up my batteries, packed two cameras, baked some cookies (very important for a photo walk!) and made my way to Bart.

I realized I forgot one key thing while waiting at the bart station. I learned that a camera doesn’t work too well without a battery. eek7.gif Oops. I made the list, checked it twice, but left the battery in the charger! I knew that even without a battery, the evening would be a success since I was shooting with other people. Plus, I can always make a camera phone rock! And an IR-body isn’t too shabby either!

I might have forgotten my battery, but I did bring one thing with me. San Francisco turned into one big softbox before the sunset.

I call the first few frames my “before I borrowed a 1d battery” period

#1: Cupid’s arrow: IR
    1031413846_NVjFz-L.jpg

#2: SF isn’t always covered with fog – it just comes later: IR
    1031414161_M6jYc-L.jpg

#3: Hitching a ride: IR
    1034827216_2yz7C-L.jpg

After about the first hour or so, Dale realized that I didn’t have a battery and the offered me his spear! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I also did a little dance of joy!

This is my “YaHOooooooooooo Dale has a battery I can use” period. :ivar

#4 415.633.6827
    1031433306_V2ZCG-L.jpg

#5: I think this is for the tourist
    1031433896_wbC8T-L.jpg

#6: Just in case you didn’t know where we were
    1031434495_J5XHo-L.jpg

#7: RIP Jake
    1031439180_hzosf-L.jpg

#8: Recycle – this isn’t the one that was set on fire
    1031505367_SDEU3-L.jpg

#9: Peak-a-boo light
    1034876618_FabGC-XL.jpg

I was very disappointed that I had to leave immediately after dinner and after seeing the images from everyone, I really wish my head was in the right place. I missed soooooooooo many images. bowdown.gifbow

Thank you everyone! You are my photo family.iloveyou.gif

P.S. I did finish the half marathon.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    So Cool
    Love seeing all the shots everyone got! I remember seeing them being taken and then to see the end result is fascinating! Cal - love what you did with the "G" - knew it had potential but it just wasn't working for me... and the guy eating is CLASSIC! He is staring right into the camera, but he really had no idea you were taking a picture of him! April, love the phone things and CONGRATS on the half marathon!

Sooo many great images, everyone!
  • Options
    tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    Karen,

I have a shot of you taking a photo of the bench.

1036500722_MtUPz-L.jpg
    1034701499_wmEoq-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    aktse wrote: »
    #1: Cupid’s arrow: IR
    1031413846_NVjFz-S.jpg

April this REALLY takes the cake! Everyone has posted so many great photos, I'm afraid to even look at mine.

As for the marathon, you're makin' me feel like a lazy bum. lol3.gif Congrats on finishing!
  • Options
    DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    Excellent photos by all. clap.gifclap

Saturday 23 rd for the next one ?!?

Or maybe Saturday 6th Nov, cause Devbobo will be in town.

Pier 39 ??

Fort Mason ??

Golden Gate Park ??

Any other suggestions ?

Dna
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    Dna wrote: »
    Or maybe Saturday 6th Nov, cause Devbobo will be in town.

Why not someplace else? Maybe the coast--Big Sur, Hearst Castle, Santa Cruz, etc.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    I can suggest a photo walk from Palace of Fine Arts (the dome building that the Exploratorium is in) down the beach/road to Ft. Point. Great photo opportunities the entire way, provided it's not raining.

Also: Alameda has a base and docks that are good subjects. Plus if executed correctly this can be combined with a free tour of the very photogenic St. George Spirits (1:00PM weekends) facility.

I'm up for driving just about anywhere any weekend (because it's day 279 of 365 and I'm flat out of ideas) but SF seems central for the broadest group (not necessarily just those of us still in this thread). Both of those dates are good for me.

Cal - love what you did with the "G"

I hear that a lot. No, wait... It's a pet project of mine to figure out how to shoot neon so I do it every chance I get. The G was getting a lot of love because we were trying to figure out if it was saturating the red channel of our cameras. Turns out, not so much, but the screen on the camera was lying.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    Halloween Weekend, Please :)
    Howdy All-

I am going to be in SF the weekend of the 30th and 31st. I actually get in on the 27th and have vacation until the 4th of November. So any chance, please, of having it on Saturday the 30th or Sunday the 31st? I can't quite organize it from a few hundred miles but figure I can ask. So any chance?

It doesn't have to be SF proper, I am renting a car (motorcycles were too expensive) so I can get around.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    Haha, I love how another walkabout is already being planned! This is awesome! And if you guys want to do something up my way, I wont mind :) (I guess I'd better keep my eyes open for something that would be a good excuse to do something up here...)

But really, just doing something, even that far away was sweet, it felt great to get out, and use my camera, it has been sitting around far too much.

Plus, I had a blast at work printing some of the photos from the trip, I made some 4x6's, they felt wayyy to small, so, I made a 4x10, and a 6x15 of one of my photos, still felt too small, but much more satisfying. So now I have an 8x15(It's the largest we can print in our lab) It felt goooood... (although I still have a really strong itching to make it larger, plus I still need to find a frame)

So... Let's do something again! I'll try to think of some ideas! :)

Ben
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2010
    Santa Cruz from the end of the warf through the boardwalk, about 1 miles walk, 3 hours shoot time! Laughing.gif
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2010
    Haha, I love how another walkabout is already being planned! This is awesome! And if you guys want to do something up my way, I wont mind :) (I guess I'd better keep my eyes open for something that would be a good excuse to do something up here...)

But really, just doing something, even that far away was sweet, it felt great to get out, and use my camera, it has been sitting around far too much.

Plus, I had a blast at work printing some of the photos from the trip, I made some 4x6's, they felt wayyy to small, so, I made a 4x10, and a 6x15 of one of my photos, still felt too small, but much more satisfying. So now I have an 8x15(It's the largest we can print in our lab) It felt goooood... (although I still have a really strong itching to make it larger, plus I still need to find a frame)

So... Let's do something again! I'll try to think of some ideas! :)

Ben

Ben that's awesome that you got them printed already! And I agree that meeting Dgrinners is a great excuse to get out of the cave and dust off the cameras.
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2010
    callous wrote: »

Smugmug%20Embarcadaro-4306.jpg

Soooo Glad you captured this guy, he was giving us the strangest looks when we were shooting, looking over his shoulder to see what we were taking pictures of, except I was too cowardly to take a picture of him... thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2010
    Soooo Glad you captured this guy, he was giving us the strangest looks when we were shooting, looking over his shoulder to see what we were taking pictures of, except I was too cowardly to take a picture of him... thumb.gif

I felt that since he'd have to leave his milkshake unguarded to kick my ass, I was safe from retribution.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    So when's the next photowalk?
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2011
    I don't think anything else has been planned yet... I'm still keeping my ears open though... :)
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2011
    Hey Cat and Ben et al. It looks like one of our southern friends is in town next week and some of us were planning on meeting up. I'll be presumptuous and post it here because there is another public thread about it already. :D Please join us!

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=188697
  • Options
    rjxrjx Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    Hello everyone!
    Randolph Knackstedt
    Photographs |
    Facebook Friend Page

...the camera need not be a cold mechanical device. Like the pen, it is as good as the man who uses it. It can be the extension of mind and heart... - John Steinbeck
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    Hey Cat and Ben et al. It looks like one of our southern friends is in town next week and some of us were planning on meeting up. I'll be presumptuous and post it here because there is another public thread about it already. :D Please join us!

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=188697

Commented on that thread, thanks for the heads up!
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    Hey Steph... thanks for plugging my thread here. Really looking forward to shooting with you guys!!! I'll even pretend to be a Giants fan.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site