Options

Pull backs....lets have some!

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    Diva, for these the flash was only about 8ft away. The focal length might make it seem different that what it was.
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2011
    Diva, if you zoom in and look at the nose shadow it is fairly harsh and sharp. You have to be careful with your placement of the flash. Come in straight to the nose and then move it over just a bit. More of a loop or modified butterfly light.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    Yeah, but I frequently find that at more than "just out of frame" it looks too "flashy" when I'm trying something similar, even sometimes giving pinpoint catchlights. And that's with a 42" umbrella! Is the head on the Quantum so much bigger that it affects it? Just trying to understand thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2011
    When I put it in the box I take the reflector off and it is a bare bulb in the box. Too flashy might mean you've got tooooo much light coming out. Try backing off the power. The catch lights will be pinpoint due to the small head. Paint in bigger catch lights. You always should have the light source as close as possible with the umbrella or box as it is then softer and wraps around more.
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2011
    A few pull backs from this morning.
    1. i-jTLFd9f-XL.jpg

2. i-pLsX9Tn-XL.jpg

3. i-HZSGQPc-XL.jpg

4. i-3dr3zgM-XL.jpg
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Not to be mean but read the instruction booklet.........it is something all of us forget to do and one of the most important items to do. I constantly go back to the book almost once a week.

If your background is reading at f8 then move your flash back and forth till you get a reading of f8 on a flash meter. If you do not own one then chimp......meaning set you flash down at 10 ft with your camera at f8 and take a photo......if too bright move your flash back or cut down on the power........if too dark move your flash in or bump up the power. Most units will have a way of adjusting the power setting so refer to the manual. Then take another photo and chimp again.......do the same procedure till you like the results. Simple as that.
    Oh, I was definitely planning to. :) Just wanted to see if there were techniques that could be quickly shared.

It's amazing, but I've actually been chimping for years, just didn't know what it was called.
    divamum wrote: »
    SamirD, Charles' use of flash is pretty sophisticated, here - simple, yes, but he really knows what he's doing! If you're interested in learning the basics of the techniques he's discussing, head on over to www.strobist.com which is alllllll about how to use flash - he does, of course, focus on speedlights, but the principles he lays out about balancing ambient and flash are just as applicable to a studio light as a small flash. thumb.gif
    Thank you for the link. Definitely something to research when I get a chance. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2011
    Same set up for the guy just turned off the kickers on the background. Beauty dish high just out of camera sight line to subject.

1. i-TkrfqTc-XL.jpg

2. i-CZwxtNR-XL.jpg

3. i-RZpwBvV-XL.jpg
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    Wow! A thread that gets better! Charles, this thread just passed 28k views! and is approaching it's first birthday! Congratulations!:bday clap.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2011
    Two lights for the truck shot....1600 white lightning in beauty dish on the subject and some on truck and the trusty lastolite softbox with a quantum in it (no baffle) aimed at the truck.
    This is how it looked out of camera. Truck was too dark, I made an exact dupe of the file and adjusted for the truck....then overlayed them and erased what I did not want then added some Topaz adjust. Lens was 16/35 and about 16mm.

1. i-f6TGmg7-XL.jpg

I wanted the lens flare but couldn't get more rays out of the sun.

2. i-msLVhZc-XL.jpg

Just the lastolite softbox in the left for this one. Just keep you subject in the shade.

3. i-vfqWhtq-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2011
    Tom, thanks for the compliment but I don't want the birthdays to come tooooo fast. But lets get others in here, you never know when you might spark an idea for everyone. We are never too knowledgable to learn.
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    I want to thank everyone here. I try to visit everyday and everyday I learn new techniques. I may never reach these levels of skill, but my eye perspective (shooters eye) has really improved since I have been coming here just in this short of time. Again, thank you all so much for contributing extra to this thread, especially you Hackbone, it's helpful beyond imagination.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2011
    Just love long, dark hair with a kicker to accent it.

Sorry for no pull back but the same three light setup. Main 4x6 off to left to catch the dog with the brighest portion of the light then the senior. Background light then a kicker on the hair. I always put the animal closest to the light and even give it its own light to catch the texture with a small spot especially on dark animals. But no extra light on the dog for this one.

i-QJpW9Bf-X2.jpg
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2011
    OKAY I'll play.

p711802662-4.jpg

p784964925-4.jpg
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2011
    Thanks alot John, really appreciate your doing this. Hey, is that a Mola?
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2011
    Don't always have to use a big light. I used a small rect. softbox as the main. At first the shadows were too dark so I turned the big box on and turned it around and bounced some light to fill in the shadows some. Elevated the light a little with a reflector, spilled some petals and thats that. Except for a slight exposure correction and some slight eye work this is straight out of camera. Try to look at catch lights in photos to see if you can tell what and how it was used....note the horiz catchlights in her eyes.

Closing down for the holiday.....everybody have a very Happy Christmas and New Year.

1. i-NmBPTth-X2.jpg

2. i-mvB4Drt-X2.jpg

3. i-DHrWtxP-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2011
    Nothing special here just the last gals video. She came in with two other friends and two moms. What a fun group to work with. Just love when the senior wants to be crazy and have fun. Hope you enjoy the video, I'm sure you've seen most of it in the above shots and explanations.

http://animoto.com/play/0bb2wQV1gNDxc9mQfS8DdA
  • Options
    Ray DauphinaisRay Dauphinais Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2011
    What size and where did you find the tube?

Thanks,
    Ray

Saw a fellow photographer do this and thought it was cute.

1243580946_xjnMN-L.jpg
    All my images are made with 100% recycled electrons.

Follow me on Twitter and Like me on Facebook
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2011
    Ray, the light is about 14 inches and I got it off the shelf at a lighting store. Box says 40Watt daylight Eiko ltd fc16t9/d. You will need a ballast to go with it and that one was a keystone cat no kteb-140-1-tp-emi-ws. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Ray DauphinaisRay Dauphinais Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2011
    It does. Thank you sir.

Ray, the light is about 14 inches and I got it off the shelf at a lighting store. Box says 40Watt daylight Eiko ltd fc16t9/d. You will need a ballast to go with it and that one was a keystone cat no kteb-140-1-tp-emi-ws. Hope that helps.
    All my images are made with 100% recycled electrons.

Follow me on Twitter and Like me on Facebook
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    Here's a pullback on Sveta with natural light and one reflector.

140609503.jpg

and the result

140578838.jpg
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2011
    Great shot and color....thanks for educating us.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2011
    Need more folks to post.....if you have something you like show it..........we will love it, tweak it, or tell you about it but it is all education and thats what this thread is for.
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    Need more folks to post.....if you have something you like show it..........we will love it, tweak it, or tell you about it but it is all education and thats what this thread is for.

Ok, I'm game
    580EX on camera set to off, 550EX bounced off umbrella, 420EX Bare

405812_2117999369604_1834374045_1389740_1072682924_n.jpg

Kendra3-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2011
    Your kicker is hotter than your main. Your main should be your brightest. Your main is creating soft shadows because it is closer and bouncing in the umbrella(crease in her nearest cheek) and your kicker is creating harsh shadows do to its small source and further away.(eye socket). Get you kicker in closer and try shooting thru the umbrella, turn it around.

Your crop is pretty severe and makes her hands seem dis-embodied. Do love the pose of the gal on the left. Hope that helps.

Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2011
    Your kicker is hotter than your main. Your main should be your brightest. Your main is creating soft shadows because it is closer and bouncing in the umbrella(crease in her nearest cheek) and your kicker is creating harsh shadows do to its small source and further away.(eye socket). Get you kicker in closer and try shooting thru the umbrella, turn it around.

Your crop is pretty severe and makes her hands seem dis-embodied. Do love the pose of the gal on the left. Hope that helps.

Thanks for posting.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2012
    (2) New softboxes & (1) grumpy photographer
    Just got an Apollo medium and an Apollo strip box for Christmas. Used my Lumopro 120 speedlights in them fired with some cheap Cactus triggers. (2) grumpy photographer shots with lights set as shown. One of my son was same set up except the camera left softbox was same position but lower.

i-SvxBgNG-XL.jpg

i-d5NT3fM-XL.jpg

i-Vqp5Dz6-XL.jpg

i-Fsb5N9F-XL.jpg

C&C appreciated.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2012
    For the first time with boxes very nice.!!! Look at the catch lights and you can see the first two about 10 o'clock and you dropped the third one to 9 o'clock. Generally speaking you want your light to be on two axis. One axis is on a 45 from floor to ceiling. The second axis for the same light should be on a 45 from your position either left or right. Again generally if your using a fill light it should be on the same side as your main........not by your main but off your shoulder area. ex. main on the left at 45 the fill should be on your left shoulder. Again these are general beginning rules. Your exposures are good but you gotta work on the "grumpy" expressions.

I do like your background light on the last one.
  • Options
    HinsonHinson Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    Needed a shot for day five of my 365 project so I finally got around to making a cheap, quick light box. Now I've got to pick up some cheeeeep lights. For the light box I want to use hot-lights but the flashes were the only things I had available today. So here is my pull back and the shot I chose for day five.

i-v3nDvZx-XL.jpg

i-JT4hDcT-L.jpg
    Serving Him by Serving Others
    www.Jerrywhitephotography.com
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2012
    Nice, how many flashes? Just the one?
  • Options
    HinsonHinson Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    Two, onboard flash and a 55EX to the right of camera. I prefer hot lights though because I can set them in place, meter and then shoot away. It's either buy two bulbs and reflectors at Home Depot for about 30 bucks or buy another peanut so that I can use my radio slave.
    Serving Him by Serving Others
    www.Jerrywhitephotography.com