Options

Pull backs....lets have some!

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    I would keep my flash close to the camera axis. The sun should be your main and the flash your fill to open up the shadows. You need to expose for the highlights. You can see that the bright side of the face is blown out or tooooooo bright. Get your exposure for that and then turn flash on and open up the shadows. If the shadow side is too bright cut the power down or move your flash back. If not bright enough up the power or move your flash in. Don't forget shutter speed controls the ambient and f stop the flash.

You can shoot at any f stop your desire but I like 11-14-16ish to darken the sky and give that rich, deep, dark look to the bkg. So I need a flash with enough power to shoot at those f stops. If my ambient ways f 11 at 200 I'll keep the shutter there but stop down to 16 and match my flash to that.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    Dark Faerie, very nice!!!! Thanks for posting. Gives folks alot of ideas. Maybe move the white card fill in a tad more to open the shadows a wee bit more for my taste.
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Dark Faerie, very nice!!!! Thanks for posting.
    rolleyes1.gifThanks!
  • Options
    DarkFaerieDarkFaerie Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    rolleyes1.gifThanks!

didn't mean to steal your thunder....:uhoh
    -Nicole LaRivee Vecchi
    http://www.darkfaeriedesigns.com
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    DarkFaerie wrote: »
    didn't mean to steal your thunder....:uhoh
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    HinsonHinson Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    I would keep my flash close to the camera axis. The sun should be your main and the flash your fill to open up the shadows. You need to expose for the highlights. You can see that the bright side of the face is blown out or tooooooo bright. Get your exposure for that and then turn flash on and open up the shadows. If the shadow side is too bright cut the power down or move your flash back. If not bright enough up the power or move your flash in. Don't forget shutter speed controls the ambient and f stop the flash.

You can shoot at any f stop your desire but I like 11-14-16ish to darken the sky and give that rich, deep, dark look to the bkg. So I need a flash with enough power to shoot at those f stops. If my ambient ways f 11 at 200 I'll keep the shutter there but stop down to 16 and match my flash to that.

Charles; this is exactly what I was speaking of earlier. I must have misread an earlier post. I thought it said you had to have a big flash (1600 or so) to do this.

Sorry

Hinson
    Serving Him by Serving Others
    www.Jerrywhitephotography.com
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    Hinson, not always the best at explaining what is going on in my head. I assume too much at times. Please keep me straight. Next time I'm up at Penn Camera in Laurel I'll give you a hollar.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    Hinson, not always the best at explaining what is going on in my head. I assume too much at times. Please keep me straight. Next time I'm up at Penn Camera in Laurel I'll give you a hollar.

Laughing.gif> that I can fully understand. And you evidently haven't heard. There is no more Penn Camera in Laurel. Penn Camera declared bankruptcy last week and closed all but the Rockville, Tysons and E st. locations. I was just down at Rockville today. All cameras/lenses/tripods, etc. are 10%off, bags and such are 20-30% off. Unfortunately they didn't have the Canon 35mm or 28mm lens that I was looking for.

Hinson
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    Thanks for the heads up on Penn.......that is a bummer, the camera stores are going the way of photography studios.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    Thanks for the heads up on Penn.......that is a bummer, the camera stores are going the way of photography studios.

Yeah, it is a shame but they just can't compete with B&H, Adorama and the others. Particularly since they have to collect tax.
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    Beautiful DeVerm!!!
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    Beautiful DeVerm!!!

It was Simpson :)

ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2012
    Just back from the cruise and haven't done any PP yet but here're 2 BTS straight from the camera.

ALL natural light so the only lighting diagram is Mr Sun.

140917567.jpg

140917568.jpg
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2012
    Hurry up with the PP..........what's taking sooooooo long.rolleyes1.gifroflwings.gif
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    Been enjoying this thread for so long, thought I'd better contribute a pull back! :D

i-mdh9mnM-X3.jpg

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    Thanks Neil, been hearing a lot about those new LED lights. How are they working out? What amt of light are they pushing? (f stop at iso at what distance)
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    Thanks Neil, been hearing a lot about those new LED lights. How are they working out? What amt of light are they pushing? (f stop at iso at what distance)

Hi Charles. The light on the right is fluorescent. Full power at 6' ISO400 1/60 f2. Obviously limited, but handy (I have 2) to add accents/fill/etc, as here. The light behind the scrim is an AB800 at 1/32 power. I purposely wanted the spill to float around and create some shadows while keeping them soft.

Neil

• Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    Surgery-S.jpg

Very creative and cool!
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    dlscott56 wrote: »
    Very creative and cool!

I'm slower than the average bear or you really need to bump up the shadows. I just realized it was two apples stapled together. I tend to glance over items at first then come back but this one got away from me. In advertising it needs to be a tad more evident or you need to show it to a more intelligent person than I. Congrats.

Or my monitor needs some serious adjustment.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    Or my monitor needs some serious adjustment.
    That's what I was going to go with, it's bright and clear on mine. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    I've been lurking in this thread for quite some time reading & digesting techniques & suggestions by all. My 3-year old wasn't interested in modeling tonight, my 1-year old was more interested in pulling cords & my wife was tired so I was left with an extremely cooperative model :D! At any rate, I used a Calumet Genesis as my main light with two 580EX II's as the fill & back/hair light. f/8 @ 1/160 ISO 200

Any suggestions would be great & I promise to post images of a live person in the near future - Thanks!!!

i-npn3qwg-L.jpg

i-mZXh4B8-L.jpg
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    I've been lurking in this thread for quite some time reading & digesting techniques & suggestions by all. My 3-year old wasn't interested in modeling tonight, my 1-year old was more interested in pulling cords & my wife was tired so I was left with an extremely cooperative model :D! At any rate, I used a Calumet Genesis as my main light with two 580EX II's as the fill & back/hair light. f/8 @ 1/160 ISO 200

Any suggestions would be great & I promise to post images of a live person in the near future - Thanks!!!

The subject sure looks pleased with the result, and you know what they say..!mwink.gifD

Neil

• Options
    AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    Travis that is too funny! Thanks for making me laugh today!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    Go Travis! clap.gif (Btw, I borrowed my daughter's American Girl doll yesterday for similar reasons! Fwiw, I like using a doll because the eyes are reflective enough that you can kinda see where catchlights are.....)
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    Travis, way to go, thanks for posting. Now, find two items that are hurting the photo. You should have known that I would have asked you that.
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    andee wrote: »
    travis that is too funny! Thanks for making me laugh today!

rolleyes1.gif
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Go Travis! clap.gif (Btw, I borrowed my daughter's American Girl doll yesterday for similar reasons! Fwiw, I like using a doll because the eyes are reflective enough that you can kinda see where catchlights are.....)

Yes we have those too. Unfortunately, Camryn had those in her bedroom :D If they're up to it after dinner in a few minutes, I'll see if I can get either of them to sit still for 5 minutes while I shoot!
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2012
    Travis, way to go, thanks for posting. Now, find two items that are hurting the photo. You should have known that I would have asked you that.

1. Shadow on the left side of the model
    2. Shadow under the models shoes

Hopefully I'm on the right track here! Thanks Charles!
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2012
    Travis, I'd say the white chair that pulls your eye from the subject (turn it upside down and see if it jumps out at you) the then the distracting horizontal line of the fireplace that bothers me. I know I'm pushing you but thats what I'm gonna do.
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2012
    Travis, I'd say the white chair that pulls your eye from the subject (turn it upside down and see if it jumps out at you) the then the distracting horizontal line of the fireplace that bothers me. I know I'm pushing you but thats what I'm gonna do.

And I appreciate you giving that push!!!
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook