Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #79 ([SOOC] Open study) CLOSED

Comments

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    Oh, I feel much better now :davidto

Just kidding... I didn't mean to make you feel guilty :)

The fact is that I always LOVED and ADMIRED new high tech, but one can get crazy because this is continuously changing and impossible to stay up to date with it.

And hmmm, to reply to both: I think yes, HIGH-TECH is lovely, but it can be tricky... eek7.gif

I guess we can always try to experiment different ways in being creative with whatever tools we have...

I always tell people, truthfully, that if I was any good as a photographer I wouldn't need all the bells and whistles. mwink.gif My wife has done some amazing shots with her iPhone.
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    This round in my opinion is not about bells and whistles. It's not about how amazing a filter your camera can put on the image as you press the shutter. Yes we will probably see many examples of technological wizardry, but none of that will matter unless the artist wielding the tool has a vision and uses that vision to craft an image that makes us take notice. We will take notice of the story and emotional impact, not of the fancy filters.

Make us take notice, find that vision. Craft that scene by waiting for the perfect light, finding that perfect model, that perfect prop. Most importantly press that shutter with passion.
  • Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    sherstone wrote: »
    This round in my opinion is not about bells and whistles. It's not about how amazing a filter your camera can put on the image as you press the shutter. Yes we will probably see many examples of technological wizardry, but none of that will matter unless the artist wielding the tool has a vision and uses that vision to craft an image that makes us take notice. We will take notice of the story and emotional impact, not of the fancy filters.

Make us take notice, find that vision. Craft that scene by waiting for the perfect light, finding that perfect model, that perfect prop. Most importantly press that shutter with passion.

clap.gif
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    MarkR wrote: »
    I always tell people, truthfully, that if I was any good as a photographer I wouldn't need all the bells and whistles. mwink.gif My wife has done some amazing shots with her iPhone.

I know, I've seen photos like that and I was amazed...

I also know that when sometime I look into my archives, I see much better shots taken way back, with a simple point and shoot camera, than others taken later, with a much more advanced camera rolleyes1.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2011

Great clap.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    So I went out on a shoot tonight with my 7D and a tripod and am rejecting most of my shot because they aren't level. I was using a 10-22 lens to shoot architecture and I was a little off shooting at dusk and later. Hmmmm.... This SOOC will definitely be a challenge! May be I should try a subject where it is less obvious if it is a little askew! :D

There's always the choice to purposefully go for a dutch tilt (or canted angle) perspective in your shot...That way your "askew-ness" is artful! :D
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    hey .. I might just have a chance at this challenge!! Laughing.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2011
    Jenn wrote: »
    hey .. I might just have a chance at this challenge!! Laughing.gif

:) You got it thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2011
    slpollett wrote: »
    I was on vacation last week and was thinking of how much I wished the (then current) challenge was SOOC--especially since I was in a place with lots of photo ops and no editing software!!

I'll be on vacation the first week of July - hoping the challenge is a nautical theme (hint, hint mwink.gif)
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,945 moderator
    edited June 17, 2011
    There's always the choice to purposefully go for a dutch tilt (or canted angle) perspective in your shot...That way your "askew-ness" is artful! :D

I posted one of those in my Cathedral Lights thread. :D
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2011
    So I tried entering one of my cathedral shots and have now uploaded three. Sorry Sean! Forgot what I was doing with the first one and uploaded a shot that I had looked at in Lightroom, which modified the date.... Tried to upload the shot from the compact flash and transposed the numbers, uploading the wrong one. Uploaded the right one and it looks distinctly different (duller) than when I viewed it in LR3. I am sharing this in case it helps other SOOC newbies.

Sean, I'll try uploading an entry when I am more alert next time!

Gretchen
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Sean, I'll try uploading an entry when I am more alert next time!

Gretchen

not a big deal Gretchen, I will delete the first two attempts once SmugMug is out of read only mode. The site is experiencing some maintenance at the moment.

Thanks for the upload!
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2011
    not a big deal Gretchen, I will delete the first two attempts once SmugMug is out of read only mode. The site is experiencing some maintenance at the moment.

Thanks for the upload!

Thanks, Sean. This is a good challenge!
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    clap.gifclap

clap.gifclap:ivar:ivarwings.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2011
    Regarding the electronic level - just found out that the Canon 7d has this capability (if it is turned on in your menu settings). Just mentioning it in case there are others with a 7d who were unaware of it and would like to use it for this SOOC challenge.
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2011
    I love this challenge, but it is a true challenge to me. I'm definitely too much of a "fix it in post" kinda guy, and this has me thinking more. I've taken several photos that I think can work from the challenge, after several good photo ops the past couple of days, and I have set my camera to record a small-fine jpeg AND a RAW file for each snap.

BUT, I don't know if I am going to be able to participate, unless someone can help me out.

I do not have a card reader, I always simply upload by plugging in my camera.

Lightroom, Nikon ViewNX and Nikon transfer are all adding a Date Modified or Date Digitized date whenever I upload the untouched jpegs.

Any suggestions?
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2011
    When you plug in your camera doesn't it show up as a drive like any other USB memory stick or hard drive? It should. A direct drag or copy and paste from the cameras mounted directories onto your system hard drive will prevent any sort of modification.
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2011
    It doesn't.

I was thinking the same thing, but it doesn't show up on my Mac's desktop.

Time to hit the University of Google and see if I can figure out why.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2011
    So apparently Nikon removed the "Mass Storage Device" option for (some of) it's latest cameras (including my D700). I think that means I might have to get a card reader, unless there is another software option that doesn't modify the files. iPhoto modifies them too.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2011
    ghinson wrote: »
    I love this challenge, but it is a true challenge to me. I'm definitely too much of a "fix it in post" kinda guy, and this has me thinking more. I've taken several photos that I think can work from the challenge, after several good photo ops the past couple of days, and I have set my camera to record a small-fine jpeg AND a RAW file for each snap.

BUT, I don't know if I am going to be able to participate, unless someone can help me out.

I do not have a card reader, I always simply upload by plugging in my camera.

Lightroom, Nikon ViewNX and Nikon transfer are all adding a Date Modified or Date Digitized date whenever I upload the untouched jpegs.

Any suggestions?

I had the same problem before (but I'm using Canon). I download them from the camera using Lightroom, I even check them, but I don't export the chosen image. I upload it to the server, directly from my desktop, and it's OK.

* I was advised to do this by Sean and it works :)
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2011
    So apparently Nikon removed the "Mass Storage Device" option for (some of) it's latest cameras (including my D700). I think that means I might have to get a card reader, unless there is another software option that doesn't modify the files. iPhoto modifies them too.

Greg, do you have any settings in the software you are using that ads EXIF info like your name or copyright info? Do you have any settings that change the name of the file as it's being imported? There must be some sort of default settings that leave the files without changes headscratch.gif

You are correct though a card reader will fix this problem for sure. I personally have always used a card reader, the USB cable that came with my camera is still in the box. You might even find that the transfers from card reader to computer go faster than from camera to computer.
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2011
    Greg, do you have any settings in the software you are using that ads EXIF info like your name or copyright info? Do you have any settings that change the name of the file as it's being imported? There must be some sort of default settings that leave the files without changes headscratch.gif

You are correct though a card reader will fix this problem for sure. I personally have always used a card reader, the USB cable that came with my camera is still in the box. You might even find that the transfers from card reader to computer go faster than from camera to computer.

I agree 100%. I think you will find the small investment in a card reader will be more than worth it. It is much faster than straight from the camera for me with my 50d. thumb.gif
    Jeromy
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2011

After some more research I am reading that "Image Capture" on Mac OSX can be set to use whatever program you need to. I wonder if there is an option for just doing a dump to a folder? or other option that needs to be set. I also found out this seems to be a big frustration for D90 owners as well. headscratch.gif

I hope you find a decent solution.
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2011
    Sean. That worked! Thanks.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2011
    Sean. That worked! Thanks.

AWESOME! :ivar:photo:smoDJ.gif
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2011
    AWESOME! :ivar:photo:smoDJ.gif

Woohoo, yeahhhhh!!!!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2011
    I can not seem to upload to the gallery. It shows it going in but does not show up in the gallery?
    Is the server just running slow?

Thanks!
    Jeromy
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2011
    CHANDLERJA wrote: »
    I can not seem to upload to the gallery. It shows it going in but does not show up in the gallery?
    Is the server just running slow?

Thanks!

I tried on my end as well, it looks like 4 images from you and 1 from myself are sitting in the que waiting to be processed. Based on that info I am guessing it is a small glitch that the SmugMug fixing wizards will resolve shortly. Yes it seems to be slow for the moment.

Edit: lt looks like it is site wide, several others here are having the same issues.
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2011
    Good deal! Thanks!
    Jeromy
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2011
    CHANDLERJA wrote: »
    Good deal! Thanks!

It looks like one of the uploads has finished processing. Once the rest finish I will delete them for you.

Edit: Things are back on track. I deleted the 3 duplicates, leaving the last one for captioning.