*ENTRY* Thread DSS #79 ([SOOC] Open study) CLOSED

Comments

• Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    Thank you sir!
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    LOVE the SOOC challenge. Thanks!
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    What I can say is that it's a fantastic exercise :whew

Thank you as well :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    I think I'm happy with my entry, I would work on more, but I have a shoot coming up this weekend that I need to get ready for.
  • Options
    rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    this is going to be interesting!
  • Options
    rbustraenrbustraen Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    So I went out on a shoot tonight with my 7D and a tripod and am rejecting most of my shot because they aren't level. I was using a 10-22 lens to shoot architecture and I was a little off shooting at dusk and later. Hmmmm.... This SOOC will definitely be a challenge! May be I should try a subject where it is less obvious if it is a little askew! :D

The 7D does have an electronic level...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvMWuQX12fI

*** Didn't see your post that you found it :) ***
    - Randy

Photo Of The Day & My SmugMug Gallery
    Canon 7D and not enough L glass....
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    :) You got it thumb.gif
    I must have taken 50 shots and tossed out all but handful of them. I know I need the editing more than most because I'm not that great at SOOC shots... I kind of cringe looking at mine when I see some others!

ghinson wrote: »
    I love this challenge, but it is a true challenge to me. I'm definitely too much of a "fix it in post" kinda guy, and this has me thinking more. I've taken several photos that I think can work from the challenge, after several good photo ops the past couple of days, and I have set my camera to record a small-fine jpeg AND a RAW file for each snap.

BUT, I don't know if I am going to be able to participate, unless someone can help me out.

I do not have a card reader, I always simply upload by plugging in my camera.

Lightroom, Nikon ViewNX and Nikon transfer are all adding a Date Modified or Date Digitized date whenever I upload the untouched jpegs.

Any suggestions?

I plug in my camera to my pc and drag the image to a folder so I can upload. So far the date taken is the same as date modified and I thought that was because I didn't open them in Photoshop, right?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Jenn wrote: »
    I must have taken 50 shots and tossed out all but handful of them. I know I need the editing more than most because I'm not that great at SOOC shots... I kind of cringe looking at mine when I see some others!

Don't beat yourself up here. Moreso in the case of a SOOC challenge, the camera you have plays a big role. Putting a point and shoot up against high quality lenses isn't a totally fair fight. So, focus on content and composition, and the quality of the light on your subject, and push the camera controls as much as you can.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    5Dme5Dme Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    sherstone wrote: »
    Make sure you set your date and time correctly before using your new camera. :D

Im shooting RAW & JPG on a Canon 7D and 5D MarkII. I am noticing when I load my pictures onto my computure it is modifying the time. So I have the time I shot the picture and them a modified time of when it was loaded onto my computer. Are you able to help me with this issue?
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    5Dme wrote: »
    Im shooting RAW & JPG on a Canon 7D and 5D MarkII. I am noticing when I load my pictures onto my computure it is modifying the time. So I have the time I shot the picture and them a modified time of when it was loaded onto my computer. Are you able to help me with this issue?

How are you "loading" them onto your computer? The best way to avoid modification is to use a card reader and copy the file off the card, or upload the image directly from the card.

If you are using something like lightroom or other software to download the pictures you risk modifying them during the download.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2011
    How are you "loading" them onto your computer? The best way to avoid modification is to use a card reader and copy the file off the card, or upload the image directly from the card.

If you are using something like lightroom or other software to download the pictures you risk modifying them during the download.

Thanks, I will pick a card reader up and give it a shot.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2011
    Thanks, I will pick a card reader up and give it a shot.

Ok, I hate to be a pest. I loaded these pictures onto my drive via a Lexar Pro card reader form my Lexar compact flash. One of the pictues is perfect the other is 2 second different. I guess my next option is to try and load from the card reader right to my smug account.

i-HXWSG4L-Th.jpg

i-vSdV6j6-Th.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2011
    These were uploaded staight to my smug site from the card. Before I loaded them I checked the properties and some are a second or two different.

i-jQZzph7-Th.jpg

i-SBQNhNj-Th.jpg

i-TVgQPW6-Th.jpg

i-LgkqN8M-Th.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2011
    Unless your camera is modifying the image after the shutter is pressed the EXIF should be the same for both taken and modified. We are talking about JPG files only right?

The images you have posted do not link to EXIF info nor a gallery so I can not give you an insights without seeing that info.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2011
    Unless your camera is modifying the image after the shutter is pressed the EXIF should be the same for both taken and modified. We are talking about JPG files only right?

The images you have posted do not link to EXIF info nor a gallery so I can not give you an insights without seeing that info.

I do appreciate your patients while helping me through this. I just got some help on loading the pictures so let me try again. I was shooting Raw & jpg and these are the jpg’s from that session. I loaded the thumbnails from my site last time. These are the actual pictures this time.

i-jQZzph7-M.jpg

i-SBQNhNj-M.jpg

i-TVgQPW6-M.jpg

i-LgkqN8M-M.jpg

I have posted these using the embeddable links.
    I just saved these to my desktop and opened them in XnView. I checked the EXIF's in properties and think everything is in order, do you agree.
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2011
    ghinson wrote: »
    Don't beat yourself up here. Moreso in the case of a SOOC challenge, the camera you have plays a big role. Putting a point and shoot up against high quality lenses isn't a totally fair fight. So, focus on content and composition, and the quality of the light on your subject, and push the camera controls as much as you can.

Thanks for the advice, Greg. I'm trying! I'm still puzzled why my spider web picture got more votes than anything I posted so far. I wasn't even going to put it up for people to look at, but I kind of liked it... not sure why tho! Laughing.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2011
    I have posted these using the embeddable links.
    I just saved these to my desktop and opened them in XnView. I checked the EXIF's in properties and think everything is in order, do you agree.

thumb.gif Yes the EXIF info looks perfect on all four of those images. Make sure you remember to upload the one you want to enter into the gallery here
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2011
    thumb.gif Yes the EXIF info looks perfect on all four of those images. Make sure you remember to upload the one you want to enter into the gallery here

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Mathieu05Mathieu05 Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    This is sweet! :)
    Chris Odchigue | Photography

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.”
  • Options
    ZerolightphotosZerolightphotos Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 25, 2011
    Hi first time posting one here and the the challenges. Good luck everyone and have a great day.

http://zerolight.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2011
    Welcome! Thanks for joining in on the fun.
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    Okay, I posted my picture and didn't do a thing to it. All I did was upload it to SmugMug first to check the EXIF. Did that change the modification? Is it disqualified?
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2011
    You might be running into the same problem Greg (ghinson) was running into. He says the software that was downloading the images off the camera was changing the EXIF. How are you getting it from your camera to the computer? direct or card reader? what software are you using? what OS - Mac or Windows? I need more information to help you with this.

Yes, as it stands the photo will be disqualified unfortunately :cry I really hope we can find a solution to your dilemma.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2011
    No, the software is okay because after I loaded to SmugMug, the EXIF was fine. It was only after I loaded it again to the Challenge that it changed.

I've been re-shooting. I can't replicate my entry. I'm trying to get something better. Ha.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2011
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    No, the software is okay because after I loaded to SmugMug, the EXIF was fine. It was only after I loaded it again to the Challenge that it changed.

I've been re-shooting. I can't replicate my entry. I'm trying to get something better. Ha.

One thing I notice is that the file name is "lights SOOC 075.JPG". If it was straight out of the camera it wouldent have a name just a number. I have a feeling the EXIF changed when you named it. headscratch.gif :uhoh
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2011
    I named the file that I loaded the shots into in a Windows gallery. I have another one in Smug from the same Windows file. I did not load that one into the Challenge and the date modified is fine. The date modified was okay on my entry too in Smug - until I put it in the Challenge.
    SandiZ
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2011
    This is making me crazy because on my computer, the date modified for the jpeg is the same as the date taken.

I'm going to try uploading again from Windows Photo Gallery. I'm not sure if it will work, but it will be coming from a different place on my computer.
    SandiZ
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2011
    Nope - won't work. Can't upload from the Windows Photo Gallery.
    SandiZ
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    You might be running into the same problem Greg (ghinson) was running into. He says the software that was downloading the images off the camera was changing the EXIF. How are you getting it from your camera to the computer? direct or card reader? what software are you using? what OS - Mac or Windows? I need more information to help you with this.

Yes, as it stands the photo will be disqualified unfortunately :cry I really hope we can find a solution to your dilemma.

I'm having a similar problem. When I uploaded my image to my smugmug gallery, the Date Modified got changed. Have to admit I was pretty shocked when I noticed that because the Date Modified and Date Taken match at home. I double and triple checked that before uploading. I have a feeling that the same thing will happen when I attempt to upload my image to the challenge gallery so there'll be no point in even trying to enter if I can't figure out how to resolve this.

I have a MacBook Pro and download my images into Adobe Bridge. I made sure to not open any of the images in Adobe Raw because I found that doing that changed the Date Modified even if no changes were made to an image. I have to use a card reader because the MacBook does not have a slot for a Compact Flash card (I use a Canon 40D). When I uploaded it to Smugmug, I used the Simple Uploader, the one that runs on Java.

I've entered SOOC challenges before and have not had problems. But this is the first one I've entered since getting a Mac so I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it?

This is driving me crazy. :bash rolleyes1.gif

Can anyone help?
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    richtersl wrote: »
    I'm having a similar problem. When I uploaded my image to my smugmug gallery, the Date Modified got changed. Have to admit I was pretty shocked when I noticed that because the Date Modified and Date Taken match at home. I double and triple checked that before uploading. I have a feeling that the same thing will happen when I attempt to upload my image to the challenge gallery so there'll be no point in even trying to enter if I can't figure out how to resolve this.

I have a MacBook Pro and download my images into Adobe Bridge. I made sure to not open any of the images in Adobe Raw because I found that doing that changed the Date Modified even if no changes were made to an image. I have to use a card reader because the MacBook does not have a slot for a Compact Flash card (I use a Canon 40D). When I uploaded it to Smugmug, I used the Simple Uploader, the one that runs on Java.

I've entered SOOC challenges before and have not had problems. But this is the first one I've entered since getting a Mac so I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it?

This is driving me crazy. :bash rolleyes1.gif

Can anyone help?

Bypass Adobe Bridge. Upload directly from your card using the simple uploader.