Options

Rookie here and feeling....overwhelmed

2»

Comments

• Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2011
    divamum wrote: »

- consumer zooms - despite what i said about kit lenses, you could consider starting with the 55-250is. This is a surprisingly capable lens for the money (some call it the "thrifty 250" and it is optically as sharp as the 50 1.8). I had one and really liked it until it became apparent I needed a lens with wider apertures for the shooting I do. But for about $200-250, it's not a bad place to start for a longer focal length. It's available as one of the kit lenses with a new camera.

I'm not so sure the 55-250IS is as optically sharp as the 50mm 1.8 but it is a good telephoto for the price - recently on sale at Target for just $150
    Although not "fast" you can get plenty of great pics with this kit lens
  • Options
    dbarnbydbarnby Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    Harper77 wrote: »
    Hello everyone!
    Newbie to the whole world of camera's and a recent U2 concert has my thoughts really going about wanting to start taking better pics. We had amazing location at the show and while we used our little Sony digital point-and-shoot camera, the pics really didn't do justice to what we experienced.

I think its time to upgrade to an actual digital SLR camera.

However, being a rookie, I have no idea where to start my search. Hell, I don't even know how to hold an SLR camera! I feel like a tool.

I hope ones on here can help me.

I do know its either a Canon or Nikon - will not accept any other type. Other than that........where do I start lol ne_nau.gif

Hey Harper77,

You seem to be focusing a lot on the Canon brand so i can't really help you with that (I use Nikon) so don't see this as trying to convert you in any way if that is your preference haha!

What i would suggest you do is look around on review sites and books to find exactly what it is you want. Video on any DSLR is pointless - they just aren't made for it, unless you have a huge rig set up like in hollywood where you have 1-2 people manually focusing the camera for each scene (not easy when at a U2 concert im sure :P)

Then once you have found what you want definitely try and find it second hand - on ebay or so - most of the time they are as new because some rich person has just decided to upgrade to the most expensive camera because they think that will get them a better photo...

For myself, I got the Nikon D70 with the 18-55mm lens for $250 dollars off ebay, and later on I bought the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 for about $150 second hand again. Everything works beautifully and for $400 I have a great camera with an all purpose lens (most people frown on it but it is one of the most versatile lenses you can get) and the 50mm is great for night shots and fast shutter speeds - like the ones you need for sports or concerts.

Hope that helps,
    Let us now how you get on!

All the best,
    Dbarnby
    "I tried to keep both arts alive, but the camera won. I found that while the camera does not express the soul, perhaps a photograph can!" - Ansel Adams

www.danielbarnby.com
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    Also watch Craigslist and garage sales... user Bryce Wilson here has gotten some amazing deals that way thumb.gif
  • Options
    Harper77Harper77 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    I picked up the Digital SLR for Dummies book on the wknd - really enjoy the items contained in the book - so glad I followed everyones advice here and read up first before I made a mistake. thumb.gif
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    I picked up the Digital SLR for Dummies book on the wknd - really enjoy the items contained in the book - so glad I followed everyones advice here and read up first before I made a mistake. thumb.gif

Glad to see that you're moving forward!

Once you actually buy your SLR, no matter what brand or model, the stuff you are reading in the book will start to click in your head. In the meantime, some of it may apply to your current P&S camera; anything regarding composition will apply to any camera, and if your current P&S has any sort of manual controls (such as manual ISO, white balance, or shutter speed/aperture settings), then some of the exposure stuff in the book may apply, too.

This is the part of your journey that is equal parts torture and exhilaration. You will begin applying a critical eye to each pic you shoot, judging it by the new things you are learning from the book, and figuring out how to shoot it better next time. You'll be frustrated whenever something doesn't come out the way you want it to. But you'll be exhilarated when you finally master a particular technique.

I've been shooting with SLRs for 12 years, and I'm just now getting the Rule of Thirds in my head when I frame my shots.ne_nau.gif
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Absolutely agree re: learning as much as you can - for sure, for sure, for sure.

As for buying "big" initially or working up to higher-end gear... All I can say is... my experience with the latter has been great, and suited me and my needs/budget. Especially if you simply don't HAVE the $ to pony up for the expensive stuff. Sure, if you do, then great - but if you need to make compromises, that can be one way of doing it. I've purchased refurbs, gently-used, and other good deals, have sold lenses/gear I no longer use or need, and have lost surprisingly little in my journey from XT plus old film lenses, to a 7d with a lot of professional quality glass in the bag. It's not a breakeven proposition of course, but if you're smart about it you can do it with a surprisingly small loss. Best is that at each stage of my development I could have the gear I needed as my skills and needs grew.

The things lacking on the Rebels is mostly to do with handling and advanced features that aren't necessarily required when you first move up from a point and shoot (and sometimes beyond). My xsi took a lot of VERY high quality images for me - the only reasons I felt I needed to "move on" were because i wanted the thumb dial (which I'd had on my film Canon slr, and missed) and faster AF the xxD and then 7d could offer. But the xsi was NOT lacking in most areas.

OP, it's all up to how you want to handle this: if you have the money to buy "the very best", then great. If you can't pony up the big bucks initially, then get the best you can for your purposes within the budget you have now, BUT be aware you may find yourself trading up in due course. Both approaches can work well. thumb.gif

This is gospel truth. If your budget is limited, buy a decent body and one fantastic lens (lens is more important than body, as bodies get cheaper and better all the time, and lenses, being analog, don't really have the same rate of technical advance).
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2011
    How is an xxD camera "too much camera" for a beginner? It has better AF, more fps, more comfortable handling... are those features going to discourage a beginner from shooting with it? How will it overwhelm a beginner? If a beginner were to be overwhelmed, I think it would probably be due to their camera not being able to perform like they want it to, not their camera having more features! xxD cameras are easier to use than Rebels anyway. The only reason Canon makes Rebels is that they're cheap. Beginners like that. That's really the only advantage of a Rebel, and the only reason beginners get them. Well, Canon markets them well, that may have something to do with it :). But I don't think there's any way in which Rebels are simpler than xxD's. xxD's have the green dot too.

OP: Neil is right, you do have to make sure you're committed. It's not that hard once you start reading, and using your camera in M mode. I've found that the "work" Neil talks about is fun, at least for me. There's a certain satisfaction in getting a good photo. And it can be done any day, not just at big events. Portraits of friends, nature close-ups in your backyard, etc.

There is a 40D currently in the flea market.

I agree. I purchased my first DSLR in 2008; a Rebel XSi. My brother-in-law purchased a 40D around the same time. After shooting with his 40D for 10 minutes, I realized that I should have purchased a slightly better body. While the XSi is a really good camera, the 40D was much superior. I didn't feel overwhelmed, I felt underwhelmed with my camera. The overall feel of a magnesium body in the 40D was great, the ergonomics, fps all made me want to learn. Both bodies had full auto for the beginner & about a year later & purchased my 7D (and purchasing a Mk IV). Like many others have stated, I'd recommend that the OP increase his budget & purchase a body & lens that he can grow into in lieu of outgrowing. I'd too would recommend a used 40D ($400+) along with nifty fifty 1.8 &/or 85 1.8. Both are excellent lenses & would allow the OP to quickly master DOF. I hop this helps.
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2011

Whenever you can, take a look at other photographers websites (particularly SmugMug & PBase). Most leave the EXIF data available if you hover over their images. This can be a great learning tool. I studied this daily for probably the first 6 months & one day it clicked & made sense. The members here are great & always eager to answer questions. Welcome to the world of photography!!! It's definitely a learning process but there is no better feeling when you take an image that you are totally thrilled about!
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2011
    What is the thoughts on the Canon EOS Rebel T3? Good? Bad?
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2011
    It's the lowest end DSLR, at the same level as XS (both are lower in the market than the other Rebels). It's very small. Personally, there are other cameras I'd rather have for the money. However, it's new, released this year.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2011
    My worry is that I will end up getting a piece of junk and regret I spent the money on it.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2011
    That's unlikely, as you've never owned any DSLR before, but the 60D, 50D, T3i, and T2i are probably better options. Compared to the 50D and 60D, it is a piece of junk. But if you don't use those cameras, you'll never know :D
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2011
    My worry is that I will end up getting a piece of junk and regret I spent the money on it.

What are your shooting needs? Portraiture, landscapes, sports? It's highly unlikely that you'll get a piece of junk. Camera bodies come and go and the next one usually trumps the previous one. I own a Rebel XSi which was my first DSLR and took excellent images with it. As my shooting styles changed, so did my equipment. What's your budget?
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2011
    Basically everything - sports, concerts, landscapes, however, a few posts above, the camera's that are recommended are a little out of my price range. I was looking at spending around $500-600.

From the ones recommended, I suppose the only way of getting them at that price range is to go with used. But then I am scared to buy used.

We are thinking of going to NY in Oct or Nov and thought it would be great to have a camera for our trip.
  • Options
    RedSoxRedSox Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    Just realized that you are in Canada. Do you have Canon loyalty program? We have here in the States. You can trade your old used Canon camera for a refurbished one cheap. Canon refurbished is almost like new. They are all inspected and certified by Canon. You can hardly tell the difference between new and their refurbished. The only disadvantage is that sometimes the shipping and tax might kill the deal when compare to local CL or refurbished ones from other store like Adorama.

If you can find a friend that is knowledgeable to cameras, you might can pick a used one cheap locally on the Craigslist.

Here you go. The number for loyalty program. Again I am not sure if it works for Canadian buyers. Maybe you can find a friend in US to do the purchase for you, since you are coming here soon.

866-443-8002

Another thing might be helpful... I started to learn photography since back in 2006, when I bought my Rebel XT. Since then, I bought a 40D. I am still using the XT and not feel too much limited. It is not as durable and quick as the 40D (one focus point on the left side does not lit anymore, though still functioning. The pop up flash stuck every once in a while. I am not using it anyways since I have the detached flash gun.) But the small size and weight makes it more portable for occasions that you are not serious in taking pictures but not wanting to miss a nice shot just in case. I found myself took more keepers than the 40D for this reason alone. So you might want to aim high, but you don't have to buy the best in the market. You can start low and gradually work yourself up. The advantage you choose Canon or Nikon vs. others is that there are large user bases for both brand. So it is to easy to trade in the used market, once you established yourself and know what you are looking for.

Hope this helps a bit and good luck.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    Basically everything - sports, concerts, landscapes, however, a few posts above, the camera's that are recommended are a little out of my price range. I was looking at spending around $500-600.

From the ones recommended, I suppose the only way of getting them at that price range is to go with used. But then I am scared to buy used.

We are thinking of going to NY in Oct or Nov and thought it would be great to have a camera for our trip.

Check out used at KEH, and used or refurb at Adorama. Both will come with a significant reduction in price, and carry reasonable warranty terms to let you ensure you've got something you can live with. Probably also worth checking the reputable players in Canada to see if there are any similar dealers/deals north of the border, too.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2011

If used is your choice, then I'd recommend purchasing from a reputable dealer that has an extensive used department (i.e.) B&H, KEH & Adorama (in that order). $600 budget for a body & a lens will definitely limit your options. For $600, you could easily pick up a used Canon 40D, Canon 50 1.8, an extra battery & an 8gb & maybe a 4gb card. One of my favorite lenses is the 50mm which I use quite extensively for street & everyday shooting. It's not the widest lens, but using a fixed prime will definitely help you learn one of the most important essentials in photography, composition. I find that zooming with your feet allows your photographs to have more character & adds interest. The fast aperture of 1.8 on that lens will allow you to shoot in low light & it will also allow you to fully understand how aperture works (learning DOF by being able to stop down from f1.8 to f22). More importantly, its small, lightweight, produces excellent images & does a good job of separating the subject from backgrounds.
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    If used is your choice, then I'd recommend purchasing from a reputable dealer that has an extensive used department (i.e.) B&H, KEH & Adorama (in that order). $600 budget for a body & a lens will definitely limit your options. For $600, you could easily pick up a used Canon 40D, Canon 50 1.8, an extra battery & an 8gb & maybe a 4gb card. One of my favorite lenses is the 50mm which I use quite extensively for street & everyday shooting. It's not the widest lens, but using a fixed prime will definitely help you learn one of the most important essentials in photography, composition. I find that zooming with your feet allows your photographs to have more character & adds interest. The fast aperture of 1.8 on that lens will allow you to shoot in low light & it will also allow you to fully understand how aperture works (learning DOF by being able to stop down from f1.8 to f22). More importantly, its small, lightweight, produces excellent images & does a good job of separating the subject from backgrounds.

The camera body has a part to play in low light performance.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    The camera body has a part to play in low light performance.

Neil

And the 40D does a pretty good job of noise control.
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    And the 40D does a pretty good job of noise control.

Yes Travis, it's not too much of a slouch, certainly comparable with the majority of the pack. The subject, how you light and how you process are also critical.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2011
    sorry everyone but seen this camera today - just wondering thoughts

http://www.henrys.com/63827-CANON-REBEL-T3-W-18-55-DC-III-BLACK.aspx
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2011
    The T3 is a fine camera, newest in its line. You linked to the kit with the 18-55 III. Henry's also has the 18-55 IS II kit. With that kit you get IS in the lens, and the kit is the same price. You may want to consider that one.

The T2i has more features, I see that Henry's has it (with the 18-55 IS mk1 lens) for $100 more, that may be worth it to you.