Options

Photos Slow To Load When Viewing

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited August 9, 2011 in Dgrin Forum Support
With the new look to dgrin .. which I love ... photos are slow to load on threads I visit. Any reason for this .. something I need to do on my end?

Viewing on Firefox, W7.

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,925 moderator
    edited August 2, 2011
    This might be due to a new feature, which automatically resizes images so that they fit in a post (and lets you see the full size by clicking on the little magnifying glass under the image). I have noticed slight pauses at times in threads with many images, but generally it's barely noticeable. How slow is slow? Are other Web sites loading at their normal speeds?
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    funny ,
    i just find all is faster then before [ guess its me ]
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    Just tried out IE .. that moves faster then Firefox, but still slower then before the change.

Darn it .. was use to just clicking on a link and poof .. there was the photo. Now photos load like it's scanning. Oh well ... it is what it is :D

Checked out other websites .. they're fine as long as I have Dgrin closed. If it's open in another tab .. then other websites are slower. Don't know why that is the case.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    weird
    you have Firefox 5 ?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Just tried out IE .. that moves faster then Firefox, but still slower then before the change.

Darn it .. was use to just clicking on a link and poof .. there was the photo. Now photos load like it's scanning. Oh well ... it is what it is :D

Checked out other websites .. they're fine as long as I have Dgrin closed. If it's open in another tab .. then other websites are slower. Don't know why that is the case.

Something is wrong. I would start with deleting your cookies and cache.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    weird
    you have Firefox 5 ?

I'm almost sure I do. How do I find out?
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Something is wrong. I would start with deleting your cookies and cache.

Already tried that.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    I'm almost sure I do. How do I find out?

help / about firefox
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    help / about firefox

Thanks .. I'm using 5.0.

Can't figure this out. Certainly has me perplexed.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    have you got firewalls , anti-virus , anti-spy-ware and such ? [ you should }

temporarily disable them to see if it solves
    if so , the problem is there
    enable one by one to find out witch one
    normally ; better use one instead many different firewalls and AV 's

otherwise , i dont know
    im sure its not Firefox , nor DGrin
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    have you got firewalls , anti-virus , anti-spy-ware and such ? [ you should }

temporarily disable them to see if it solves
    if so , the problem is there
    enable one by one to find out witch one
    normally ; better use one instead many different firewalls and AV 's

otherwise , i dont know
    im sure its not Firefox , nor DGrin

Yes I have all that you mentioned. Am using Trend. Thought it might be a feature it offers and I turned that off to see if it was any better. It wasn't tho. Might need to shutdown my computer and start up again.

I'll play around with things and see if it gets better. Let you know later :D
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    Me Again ..

Just shut off Window Washer that I have. Works somewhat faster now after doing a restart on the computer.

One thing I noticed after checking some links. Seems in the left lower corner it keeps saying transferring of data from particular sites .. ex. flicker, smug, photobucket, etc. So to me it seems there is a recall of downloads vs the photos being there .. something like that anyway. I'm hoping you know what I'm tying to say :D

After that a box popped up in the lower right corner saying something ... about the person that had last posted, but then it disappeared. Is this a new thing too?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited August 2, 2011
    More than likely, what you're seeing is a short delay while the images are resized to a more browser friendly manner. To be sure, can you post a link to a thread you think demonstrates what you're seeing?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    What is the best browser to view Dgrin on?

I did 2 screen catches of what I'm seeing. It happens to any thread I look at. Each is different in 2 ways it downloads .. one is like a scan and another has a similar look only the whole photo is is displayed, but pixelated and it loads clearer from top to bottom.

It isn't consistent either. I can look at a thread with one photo and that one photo will load like example 2 or vise-versa.

1 -- i-5v2qzx7-XL.jpg

2 --

i-D5fqnJp-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    The first image loads top to bottom for me, but it does it very quickly. It seems like the way the image is drawn has more to do with the site it's hosted on.

Have you checked your internet connection with speedtest.net? I suspect something is slowing you down.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    The first image loads top to bottom for me, but it does it very quickly. It seems like the way the image is drawn has more to do with the site it's hosted on.

Have you checked your internet connection with speedtest.net? I suspect something is slowing you down.

Sometimes the photo loads quickly for me too .. the one from top to bottom. Sometimes not tho.

Will try the test .. hadn't done that yet. I'll let you know what it shows.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    Just tested it ..

Ping .. 107ms
    Download speed .. 0.51mbps
    Upload speed .. 0.42 mbps

I've not a clue how to read these numbers :D

I don't think I've ever scanned my registry for errors. Is that something that should be done?
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    Here's what mine looks like:

Ping: 10ms
    Upload: 3.94mbps
    Download: 8.64mbps

The speed varies depending on time of day but the ping times are consistent. Your 107ms ping time is cause for concern though. The up and down load speeds are also pretty slow.

How are you connected to the network? Wireless? If so, can you try a different channel on the wireless?
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »
    Here's what mine looks like:

Ping: 10ms
    Upload: 3.94mbps
    Download: 8.64mbps

The speed varies depending on time of day but the ping times are consistent. Your 107ms ping time is cause for concern though. The up and down load speeds are also pretty slow.

How are you connected to the network? Wireless? If so, can you try a different channel on the wireless?

I have internet through my phone .. Qwest .. I know .. not the fastest and that might be my issue. Cable connection here is worthless for the most part. 1/2 the time one can't even get online or if you can it's slow.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011

Never heard of this one ... better then Trend? I never know which is best and which is 'computer friendly' for working with other programs.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    A restart of your modem could be all you need, too.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    A restart of your modem could be all you need, too.

I'll give that a try. Restarted it about a week ago .. but it may need it again. Thanks :D
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    Never heard of this one ... better then Trend? I never know which is best and which is 'computer friendly' for working with other programs.

Trend is pretty good as far as virus scanners go. You might want to check and make sure you're not running more than one.

Also, when you say "through your phone" do you mean DSL? The 100ms latency isn't great but I've seen longer and it does affect performance.

If you can, try doing this: Open a terminal window and type "ping -t www.dgrin.com". Let it run for maybe 30 seconds to a minute then hit control C to cancel it. You'll see something that looks like this:
    insight:~ ianclements$ ping www.dgrin.com
    PING www.dgrin.com (208.79.45.83): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 208.79.45.83: icmp_seq=0 ttl=246 time=22.271 ms
    64 bytes from 208.79.45.83: icmp_seq=8 ttl=246 time=22.371 ms
    ^C
    --- www.dgrin.com ping statistics ---
    9 packets transmitted, 9 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 20.511/25.777/46.136/7.958 ms

What you care about most is the stats on the bottom. Hopefully, your connection isn't dropping packets--if you are, that will slow things down as well.

What do you see when you do this?
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    open dns is not a virus program, it's an alternative DNS that's often faster than what your internet provider uses. It's easy to change your DNS and try it out. Just follow the instructions on that site. It's free to use and it's only putting some numbers in boxes to get it going.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »
    Trend is pretty good as far as virus scanners go. You might want to check and make sure you're not running more than one.

Also, when you say "through your phone" do you mean DSL? The 100ms latency isn't great but I've seen longer and it does affect performance.

If you can, try doing this: Open a terminal window and type "ping -t www.dgrin.com". Let it run for maybe 30 seconds to a minute then hit control C to cancel it. You'll see something that looks like this:
    insight:~ ianclements$ ping www.dgrin.com
    PING www.dgrin.com (208.79.45.83): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 208.79.45.83: icmp_seq=0 ttl=246 time=22.271 ms
    64 bytes from 208.79.45.83: icmp_seq=8 ttl=246 time=22.371 ms
    ^C
    --- www.dgrin.com ping statistics ---
    9 packets transmitted, 9 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 20.511/25.777/46.136/7.958 ms

What you care about most is the stats on the bottom. Hopefully, your connection isn't dropping packets--if you are, that will slow things down as well.

What do you see when you do this?

Way above my knowledge level rolleyes1.gif

If you tell me how to open a terminal window I'll give this a try :D

Yes .. I mean DLS .. not dial up .. Laughing.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,925 moderator
    edited August 2, 2011
    Mary,

Could you try looking at, say, a YouTube video and see if it is downloading at whatever normal speed is for you? Your download speed seems low to me, but maybe that's just the way it always is, dunno.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    open dns is not a virus program, it's an alternative DNS that's often faster than what your internet provider uses. It's easy to change your DNS and try it out. Just follow the instructions on that site. It's free to use and it's only putting some numbers in boxes to get it going.

What is DNS
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Mary,

Could you try looking at, say, a YouTube video and see if it is downloading at whatever normal speed is for you? Your download speed seems low to me, but maybe that's just the way it always is, dunno.

Youtube runs smooth and quick. Not any downloading, slow down happening.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    If you tell me how to open a terminal window I'll give this a try :D

In Windows, you'll go to the "Start" menu, click "run" and type "command" on the line. That will open a terminal window.

What happens if you try and load images from another site? SmugMug, other photo sharing site?