Options

Photos Slow To Load When Viewing

13»

Comments

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2011
    I'll give it a try and see what happens.

One thing I did notice today when I was browsing the threads .. when I click 'back' the page/photos jump to the left like it's resetting on the page.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Mary,
    You should copy those numbers exactly as you see them into the network configuration panel you have open. You'll probably need to click the radio button that says "Use the following DNS server addresses:" first. Then follow the rest of the instructions. When you are done, your machine will be configured to use Open DNS rather than whatever DNS server your ISP is using.

This may or may not improve performance. It just depends on whether Open DNS provided quicker response to you. You should try running with it for a while before deciding. You will be clearing all of your caches, which will be refreshed over time.

If you don't see any improvement (or if it is even worse), you could follow the same procedure and try Google's DNS server. The addresses to use are:
    Preferred: 8.8.8.8
    Alternate: 8.8.4.4

Again, might help, might not. If things do not improve (or get worse), you can go back to your network configuration and reset the radio button to obtain the DNS address automatically.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

I tried dgrins and I couldn't even get online rolleyes1.gif

I'll give Googles a try.
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2011
    you had no trouble before , so , its unlikely the PC is giving trouble

have you tried CCleaner ?

i use it , and its a great tool

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    you had no trouble before , so , its unlikely the PC is giving trouble

have you tried CCleaner ?

i use it , and its a great tool

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Your right .. I had no issues before. This is really perplexing to me. I did the Google numbers and the pages load the same.

Is the CCleaner like Window Washer? I'll give it a try because my Window Washer isn't working well with W7.

Gotta ask .. am I the only one having this problem? If so ... I'm so sorry keeping you all working on this.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited August 6, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Gotta ask .. am I the only one having this problem? If so ... I'm so sorry keeping you all working on this.
    AFAIK, you're the only one who has reported this problem. If others are having it as well, it would help us if they would speak up. We'll do our best to fix it if we can in any event.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2011
    you are the only one so far
    but that means nothing
    there can be thousands of reasons that causes trouble

most come from software-conflicts and malware/ viruses

try CCleaner for start , its free , yet usefull

# make a restore-point before using it #
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2011
    you are the only one so far
    but that means nothing
    there can be thousands of reasons that causes trouble

most come from software-conflicts and malware/ viruses

try CCleaner for start , its free , yet usefull

# make a restore-point before using it #

Gonna try it in a few minutes :D
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2011
    AFAIK, you're the only one who has reported this problem. If others are having it as well, it would help us if they would speak up. We'll do our best to fix it if we can in any event.

Probably should of kept my mouth shut rolleyes1.gif

I thought it could be a virus or something, but nothing is being caught when I run my anti-virus. That doesn't mean anything either .. it can miss something. Everything else works good tho .. maybe my computer just doesn't like dgrins new set up :D I like it though thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2011

I thought it could be a virus or something, but nothing is being caught when I run my anti-virus. That doesn't mean anything either .. it can miss something.

that is true
    but i dont suspect virus , as you are not not a person who download from "certain" sites

my guess is
    either to much services or add-ons loaded , or , conflicting / damaged software , or , register
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2011
    that is true
    but i dont suspect virus , as you are not not a person who download from "certain" sites

my guess is
    either to much services or add-ons loaded , or , conflicting / damaged software , or , register

Hmmmmm ... you mentioned damaged software and I have a software program that started acting up about 3 wks ago. Never took it off and reloaded it to see if it would work better. It's Zoombrowser. When ever I go to look at photos I've taken it won't progress to the next photo .. there's a big delay. Sometimes it will progress on to the next or times I'll wait and just close it out because I become so frustrated.

When I go to run the cleaner it tells me it will delete files .. those are just the ones marked .. correct?
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2011
    I have internet through my phone .. Qwest .. I know .. not the fastest and that might be my issue. Cable connection here is worthless for the most part. 1/2 the time one can't even get online or if you can it's slow.

Dogdots-

1st, how is your mom's shoulder?

Now about the slow load, I found something this week on a broadband card that might be having an impact. For an AT&T broadband card there is an option for it to downsample images. It is a setting in the "Communication Manager" software. Perhaps Qwest has something similar going on?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2011
    ones marked .. correct?

yes ...

the purpose is to remove temporary files and cookies , and clean the register
    i usually let it at default
    and , do not use Drive Wiper , its risky

another idea
    uninstall all applications you dont use anymore

and
    prevent certain applications to start-up with windows [ using CCleaner ]

after that de-fragment C: drive
    do that regularly , dont rely on auto-defragment
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2011
    Dogdots-

1st, how is your mom's shoulder?

Now about the slow load, I found something this week on a broadband card that might be having an impact. For an AT&T broadband card there is an option for it to downsample images. It is a setting in the "Communication Manager" software. Perhaps Qwest has something similar going on?

Mom's shoulder is in a contraption that an 80 year old lady should never be put in. She can't do anything so I'm over with her a whole lot cooking, cleaning, etc. Wish she would come to my house, but she's still so independent. Will know a whole lot more on Monday. Thanks for asking :D

I'll check that out with Qwest. Gonna have a talk with them on Monday.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2011
    yes ...

the purpose is to remove temporary files and cookies , and clean the register

another idea
    uninstall all applications you dont use anymore

and
    prevent certain applications to start-up with windows [ using CCleaner ]

after that de-fragment C: drive
    do that regularly , dont rely on auto-defragment

Ok .. I'll run it tomorrow and do a defrag. I had been depending on it to run on it's own, but I've never seen it run headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2011
    never seen it run headscratch.gif

it runs when PC is idling for a while
    and , it only defrag some windows files , not entire disk
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2011
    Ran the cleaner and also ran the defrag. Afterwards I took a look at dgrin again. Some are better while others load the same. I'm at the point now where I think it will always be like this. I think a lot has to do from where a photo is downloaded from in the thread. Gonna do some more checking on that.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2011
    Ran the cleaner and also ran the defrag. Afterwards I took a look at dgrin again. Some are better while others load the same. I'm at the point now where I think it will always be like this. I think a lot has to do from where a photo is downloaded from in the thread. Gonna do some more checking on that.
    That has always been true--some hosts are faster than others. What is still unclear is why that should be any different in 2.0. I confess that I'm out of ideas. headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2011
    That has always been true--some hosts are faster than others. What is still unclear is why that should be any different in 2.0. I confess that I'm out of ideas. headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

I just can't figure it out either. Doesn't make any sense to me at all. Unless something has changed in 2.0 in the way of displaying photos on dgrin. Looks like it has, but if I'm the only one it's effecting I can deal with it :D
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2011
    try Fasterfox Lite

its a free Firefox plugin with several options to make it faster

you get get it from Firefox menu / ad-dons , and use search box
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2011
    Went to add on Fasterfox Lite and saw they were asking for a donation .. is that right?????

i-xPh5q4w-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2011
    Mary,
    It is perfectly normal for developers of free software to ask for donations. You are under no obligation to donate and the software will work just fine if you don't. But when you find something that is worth something to you, it's reasonable to support the people who have built and maintain it. Every little bit helps.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2011
    Mary,
    It is perfectly normal for developers of free software to ask for donations. You are under no obligation to donate and the software will work just fine if you don't. But when you find something that is worth something to you, it's reasonable to support the people who have built and maintain it. Every little bit helps.

Ok .. It just really surprised me to see this. Never seen it before. I'll give Fasterfox Lite a try and see how it works.