Options

Kenya Wildlife -formerly Just Starting

124»

Comments

• Options
    ADMIT PhotographyADMIT Photography Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Great as always! Can't wait to see more!
    Facebook - Twitter
    Nikon D200, D80, SB600, nikon 50mm 1.8, nikon 18-135 3.5-4.6, nikon 70-200
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    If you haven't figured it out yet, shooting in Africa was a joy. Before I left I had to resolve an ongoing debate as to take the 200-400mm or the 500mm on the trip. I asked Andy Biggs and he recommended the 200-400. It was the best advice I could have gotten.

When photographing birds one usually tries for a full frame capture of the subject.
    Kory Bustard
    D3S1154-XL.jpg

and this will carry over when you are shooting other subjects
    D3S6437-XL.jpg

These captures are OK but clinical. I could have gone to a zoo or Disney's Animal Kingdom and gotten similar results.

I'm still in the midst of my processing from the trip but the images that really get a response from me are the ones that show the subject in their environment. Those are the ones that say "Africa" to me.

D3S6432bw-XL.jpg

D3S0137-XL.jpg

D3D5489-XL.jpg

D3D5847-XL.jpg
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Wow, Harry, these are amazing, and I completely get your point! Just terrific images! I hope you have many more to share. Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2011
    PGM wrote: »
    Wow, Harry, these are amazing, and I completely get your point! Just terrific images! I hope you have many more to share. Best, Pam

Thanks Pam and just may have a few more images to sare.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited November 3, 2011
    The pride asleep in under the tree is pretty awesome. Got the wide panorama of the plain, a solitary tree, some lions and some beautiful color.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »
    The pride asleep in under the tree is pretty awesome. Got the wide panorama of the plain, a solitary tree, some lions and some beautiful color.

What an array of wonderful photos Harry. You have no idea how much pleasure it has given me to view them. I am looking forward so much to seeing the rest. I am pleased you have had a wonderful and a memorable time on Safari and I am sure you are the envy of every keen photographer.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    korandokekorandoke Registered Users Posts: 517 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    a beautiful trip and beautiful pictures harry
    Best regards,
    Korandoke
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2011
    canon400d wrote: »
    What an array of wonderful photos Harry. You have no idea how much pleasure it has given me to view them. I am looking forward so much to seeing the rest. I am pleased you have had a wonderful and a memorable time on Safari and I am sure you are the envy of every keen photographer.
    Cheers
    Bob

Thanks Bob, it was a wonderful and a most memorable time. Its good to hear that others are getting some enjoyment from the pics.
    Harry
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    You know we always hear about the diminishing wildlife habitat as well as the diminishing wildlife itself.

What was your feeling about that or did you get a feel about that from the people who live and work there.

Will my great GK's be able to see this for real or only in these outstanding images.

I ask because by just looking at these, it does not seem as bad as reported.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2011
    bfjr wrote: »
    You know we always hear about the diminishing wildlife habitat as well as the diminishing wildlife itself.

What was your feeling about that or did you get a feel about that from the people who live and work there.

Will my great GK's be able to see this for real or only in these outstanding images.

I ask because by just looking at these, it does not seem as bad as reported.

Wildlife conservation is an ongoing project. Its not as simple as numbers of wildlife. From my own work in Florida and from my conversations with the folks I met in Africa a key to preservation is corridors for the wildlife to inhabit and pass through. The great numbers of wildebeest that we viewed would not be possible if they didn't have a path for their migration. Just setting aside unconnected areas and declaring them to be preserves won't preserve the willdife if those preserves are surrounded by human development. The wildlfe needs areas to roam and for migration.

As humans continue to intrude on these areas the pressure on the wildlife to continue to grow. I have seen a distinct decrease in wildlife at the Viera Wetlands over the years as the surrounding lands are developed.

Will our grandkids be able to see what I was privileged to see? ne_nau.gif

We have to decide is wildlife preservation is something that is worth the required sacrifice. The thing with nature is you usually don't get any "do overs". If something is lost you usually won't get it back.
    Harry
  • Options
    tshaddicktshaddick Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    This is a wonderful series of photos. I hope to one day go on an African adventure, and hope I can get some captures half as good as the ones you were able to get. Great Job.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2011
    tshaddick wrote: »
    This is a wonderful series of photos. I hope to one day go on an African adventure, and hope I can get some captures half as good as the ones you were able to get. Great Job.

Thanks and if you can get to Africa you won't be sorry, From the images I've seen in your galleries you woul come back with some work.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2011
    One of the things I enjoyed with this trip was the opportunity to do some B&W processing on my captures.

D3D6799bw-XL.jpg

D3D6661bw-XL.jpg

D3S6696bw-XL.jpg

D3S8325bw-XL.jpg

D3S6227-XL.jpg

D3D5476bw-XL.jpg
    Harry
  • Options
    tshaddicktshaddick Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    I love all of these but particularly the last one!
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    There were a number of times during the safari when I did some low light shooting.

Glad I came back to this post!

Very happy for you Harry...I love these.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    Hmmm ...... are two tone Elephants a genetic mutations, or a result of advanced evolution rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

B&W look good on this crappy work Monitor, so there good thumb.gif
  • Options
    cupiccupic Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    The Cubs are just the start to a fabulous adventure in Africa TFS

cheers
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2011
    tshaddick wrote: »
    I love all of these but particularly the last one!

Thanks, the rain gave us some very interetsing lighting that day.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    Glad I came back to this post!

Very happy for you Harry...I love these.

Thanks Ric. I'll be posting some new images soon so I hope you come back again.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2011
    Every day we were in Africa we saw little stories unfold for us. One day on the Maasai Mara we ran across a lioness and her cubs

D3S3220-XL.jpg

They were out in the open and the lioness wanted to find a spot with shade and some nearby water for the cubs. The problem for her was that some of the nearby trees were taken by some male lions who were a danger to her cubs
    D3D6030-XL.jpg

the lioness herded her cubs through the grass avoiding the occupied trees
    D3D6052-XL.jpg

D3D6063-XL.jpg

D3S3278-XL.jpg

when mom spotted a likely candidate for shelter she left the cubs and moved off to check it out.
    D3S3336-XL.jpg

it checked out OK. There was shade and water
    D3S3340-XL.jpg

Mom then herded the rest of her cubs over to the spot and they were set up
    D3S3366-XL.jpg
    Harry
  • Options
    Brian_SBrian_S Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    these are ALL excellent images Harry, each and everyone of them, so much so that your images helped in my aquisition of a FF camera, after wanting the D700 for so long i finally settled on a D3s
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2011
    Brian_S wrote: »
    these are ALL excellent images Harry, each and everyone of them, so much so that your images helped in my aquisition of a FF camera, after wanting the D700 for so long i finally settled on a D3s

Thanks Brian. I think you will be very happy with the D3s. Since I started shooting FF my D300 doesn't get as much use anymore.
    Harry
  • Options
    Brian_SBrian_S Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    Thanks Brian. I think you will be very happy with the D3s. Since I started shooting FF my D300 doesn't get as much use anymore.

i love my D3s :D
    i know what you mean, i went on a weekend get away last weekend to try out the new camera, i took my D300s with me, it was lucky to even of made it out of the bag, the D3s focused my 300 F/4 with TC faster than the D300s would without the TC attached not to mention ISO 12800
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2011
    Brian_S wrote: »
    i love my D3s :D
    i know what you mean, i went on a weekend get away last weekend to try out the new camera, i took my D300s with me, it was lucky to even of made it out of the bag, the D3s focused my 300 F/4 with TC faster than the D300s would without the TC attached not to mention ISO 12800

On the Africa trip I was the only Nikon shooter. There were a couple of time that I was able to get low light captures that the Canon shooters had a much harder time dealing with.
    Harry
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    On the Africa trip I was the only Nikon shooter.

You forget that Marc turned to the darkside (temporarily) as well :D
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited November 22, 2011
    Andy wrote: »

You did too. Correct?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    You did too. Correct?

for a l'il bit
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2011
    Andy wrote: »

and he was glad he did too. Anyhow I was he only Nikon owner on the trip.
    Harry
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    Great pictures, great stories, and I really like how you have included the environment in some of your photos. You mentioned it before, and I am trying to find ways to incorporate that idea in my photos. I hope you have more coming, Harry! This is fun! Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2011
    You did too. Correct?

For a short while and it was hell. I had to talk Andy through it. Once I explained the on/off button to him he did OK though.
    Harry