Options

The Canon 1dx

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    >>Do we know how many 1DX owners actually use the video in the serious way for example roakey describes eg for TV shows? And how many of those who do will soon abandon 1DX video as the ante rises in video tech? In other words how permanent will the combo fad be?

Broadcast TV and movies aren't the only serious use. Videographers use them for wedding videos, corporate videos etc.

I think for higher budget films such as high cost adverts, broadcast and movies, the new large sensor camcorders will gradually take over.

On the other hand, wedding videographers etc. are much more likely to use DSLRs, probably alongside small sensor camcorders.

The problem is that the large sensor camcorders are not as practical in many ways as the smaller sensor ones. For example my HMC151 camcorder has a 13 x zoom f/1.6 lens with servo zoom and IS. Such a lens is not possible for a large sensor, so for many situations this is better than a DSLR or even a large sensor camcorder. But for shallow DoF and low light situations the DSLR comes into its own.

These practical issues are not a factor for some types of big budget productions where the shots can be planned.

Getting back to the point, I think there are some small tweaks that the camera companies will make to DSLRs to improve the video side. But I don't think these will impact stills photographers in a negative way. People will still continue to buy DSLRs for video in large numbers and this will improve economies of scale helping to keep the costs down for stills photographers.

Large sensor video cameras will continue to be released and will develop, maybe with improved lens options, but these are an order of magnitude more expensive than consumer DSLRs with very similar image quality, so they will not sell in huge numbers. Small sensor camcorders will continue to sell as well, as these are very practical for many types of video and TV production.
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    Stuart-M wrote: »
    >>Do we know how many 1DX owners actually use the video in the serious way for example roakey describes eg for TV shows? And how many of those who do will soon abandon 1DX video as the ante rises in video tech? In other words how permanent will the combo fad be?

Broadcast TV and movies aren't the only serious use. Videographers use them for wedding videos, corporate videos etc.

I think for higher budget films such as high cost adverts, broadcast and movies, the new large sensor camcorders will gradually take over.

On the other hand, wedding videographers etc. are much more likely to use DSLRs, probably alongside small sensor camcorders.

The problem is that the large sensor camcorders are not as practical in many ways as the smaller sensor ones. For example my HMC151 camcorder has a 13 x zoom f/1.6 lens with servo zoom and IS. Such a lens is not possible for a large sensor, so for many situations this is better than a DSLR or even a large sensor camcorder. But for shallow DoF and low light situations the DSLR comes into its own.

These practical issues are not a factor for some types of big budget productions where the shots can be planned.

Getting back to the point, I think there are some small tweaks that the camera companies will make to DSLRs to improve the video side. But I don't think these will impact stills photographers in a negative way. People will still continue to buy DSLRs for video in large numbers and this will improve economies of scale helping to keep the costs down for stills photographers.

Large sensor video cameras will continue to be released and will develop, maybe with improved lens options, but these are an order of magnitude more expensive than consumer DSLRs with very similar image quality, so they will not sell in huge numbers. Small sensor camcorders will continue to sell as well, as these are very practical for many types of video and TV production.

Good read. It was necessary to drag ourselves away from the very simplistic "...and it's got video" kind of response to the advertising of dslrs. As you and others make clear video means a few different things, and generally requires much more both of gear and expertise than can be found in a dslr and a typical dslr photographer.

Leaving aside the use of dslrs by videographers for video rather than still photography, where dslrs obviously have created an option, in this discussion the only serious use by (some) stills photographers seems to be for weddings. That would seem to me to be a restricted population of dslr users who actually require video.

All in all, I think video in dslrs is closer to a 3 legged race than a triathlon.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    Interestingly enough Greg Yaitanes (producer/director of House) blogged that one of the reasons he used the 5D on an episode of House was because it let them do the shoot quicker and for a lower cost because the sets did not have to be designed to be broken apart like they did for the bigger video cameras they typically use. Complete scenes could be shot without have to brake down and rearrange the set in between parts of the scene. He also mentioned the depth of field too.
    Stuart-M wrote: »

• Options
    Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    Good read. It was necessary to drag ourselves away from the very simplistic "...and it's got video" kind of response to the advertising of dslrs. As you and others make clear video means a few different things, and generally requires much more both of gear and expertise than can be found in a dslr and a typical dslr photographer.

Leaving aside the use of dslrs by videographers for video rather than still photography, where dslrs obviously have created an option, in this discussion the only serious use by (some) stills photographers seems to be for weddings. That would seem to me to be a restricted population of dslr users who actually require video.

All in all, I think video in dslrs is closer to a 3 legged race than a triathlon.

Neil

I wouldn't say they can't be used in other ways, but you get much better results with a monopod and maybe a Rode videomic, these aren't expensive (relatively speaking), but on the other hand, if somebody wants a camera for the family trip to disney, maybe a small camcorder would be better suited and a lot easier to carry around.

I would agree that most photographers don't need the video function, even wedding photographers, unless they are videographers as well (as I am). In fact, I don't use my 5D2 for video, I use a 550D as my second video camera alongside my HMC151 camcorder.

However, that isn't the point really. The video function may not be used by photographers very much, so they will buy it simply based on its stills capability. A whole other set of customers may buy the same product for video and not care about the stills side. I hardly ever use my 550d for photos. Obviously these are primarily stills cameras so as long as the stills performance isn't degraded I don't see the problem.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 21, 2011
    I am not sure I understand your frustration with your 7D, Jim.

I own a 7D, a 5DMK2, and a 1DM4. I find the 7D a very close competitor to my 1DMk4 is AF acquisition and capture, and my 5DMk2 way behind either of them. The AF on my older 5D was very slooow, and only worked with single point AF in One Shot mode.

The 7D offers several different ways to arrange your AF, and I prefer to use three AF point groupings, distributed to right, left , upper or lower, or center for wildlife shooting. Indeed I never used AI servo AF with earlier crop bodies but I find it works pretty good on my 7D.

Will the 1Dx be available my March of this year?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited June 12, 2012
    The "EOS-1D X Instruction Manual" and the "Pocket Guide (EOS-1D X)" were posted today:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_1d_x#BrochuresAndManuals

(Current links are:

EOS-1D X Instruction Manual
    and
    Pocket Guide (EOS-1D X)

... respectively.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    The "EOS-1D X Instruction Manual" and the "Pocket Guide (EOS-1D X)" were posted today:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_1d_x#BrochuresAndManuals

(Current links are:

EOS-1D X Instruction Manual
    and
    Pocket Guide (EOS-1D X)

... respectively.)

Is this a good indication that the camera will be shipped soon? I have mine back ordered in B&H and wonder how long it will take before it gets into my hands? I'm hoping that Christmas will come very early :D
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2012
    pemmett wrote: »
    Is this a good indication that the camera will be shipped soon? I have mine back ordered in B&H and wonder how long it will take before it gets into my hands? I'm hoping that Christmas will come very early :D

That's the "hope", but only Canon knows its delivery schedule. The 1D X has been so long delayed, many people are getting discouraged.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    That's the "hope", but only Canon knows its delivery schedule. The 1D X has been so long delayed, many people are getting discouraged.
    If that is going to be their pro camera at the Olympics..they are going to have to get on it. Not many sunrises between now and then.
    I am in the same shape with one of my new products that is not ready yet..probably not the same financial shape though mwink.gif
    Gary
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2012
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2012

Thanks.

Curious I think, the choice of lenses to release at the same time as if engaged to the 1DX. I doubt that 24/28mm f2.8 would be all that orgasmic a proposition for a 1DX toting sports photographer, at whom that camera is mainly targeted.ne_nau.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2012

Thanks for the update - good to hear that it's getting out of the doors and into the market, not sure how long it will take to get into the hands of enthusiasts (AKA Addicts) like myself. Please keep feeding any updates as they come out.
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2012
    I just got the call that my 1Dx is in!! Finally! I guess they needed to get it out by the Olympics, but hope it's not a rush job...
  • Options
    dbarnbydbarnby Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2012
    1DX picture
    Hey all,

I feel really awkward posting here, being a Nikon guy (cue hisses and abuse :P) but I just saw on the guardian eyewitness app on the ipad this picture:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/picture/2012/jul/08/british-grand-prix-motorsports#zoomed-picture

On the website it doesn't show the exif data but on the app it does - showing it was taken with a canon 1-DX at ISO 200, F/14, Shutter speed 1/160 (for whoever cares - I always do)

Just thought everyone here would appreciate a real life picture taken from the camera. (Sorry if it has already been linked to - didn't read through the whole thread)

I personally am confused by the f/14 choice but you Canon guys are weird... mwink.gif

All the best,

Daniel Barnby
    "I tried to keep both arts alive, but the camera won. I found that while the camera does not express the soul, perhaps a photograph can!" - Ansel Adams

www.danielbarnby.com
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 16, 2012
    dbarnby wrote: »
    a canon 1-DX at ISO 200, F/14, Shutter speed 1/160 (for whoever cares - I always do)
    [...]
    I personally am confused by the f/14 choice but you Canon guys are weird... mwink.gif
    Sounds like he was doing panning shots with smeared backgrounds. Doesn't surprise me that a Nikon shooter wouldn't know about those. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    dbarnbydbarnby Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Sounds like he was doing panning shots with smeared backgrounds. Doesn't surprise me that a Nikon shooter wouldn't know about those. rolleyes1.gif

Haha - typical canon shooter... doesn't even look at the photo :P - no smeared background which is why I was confused (also I personally haven't taken pictures of very fast cars)

Thanks for the explanation though :)
    "I tried to keep both arts alive, but the camera won. I found that while the camera does not express the soul, perhaps a photograph can!" - Ansel Adams

www.danielbarnby.com
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 17, 2012
    I did look at the shot and I didn't say it was a panning shot. The photographer was probably shooting pans when this spin-out occurred. So he grabbed the shot with no time to change settings. The car was probably moving in the same axis as the lens which minimized blur. That's my guess anyway.
    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2012
    So here is one thing I'd like to know about the 1Dx for anyone fortunate to get their hands on one soon.

The 1DIIn (yeah, I know, its OLD) took FOREVER for the voice annotation to start recording when using it.. 1dX, I would hope is pretty fast? I don't want to have to wait once I get one of these bad boys 20 seconds to record my info considering the point of it is to keep shooting and not having to wait.

Thx
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2012
    Scott Bourne has a new mini-review of the Canon 1D X:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-1dx/canon-1dxA.HTM
    ziggy53
  • Options
    holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2012
    well i said i wasn't getting one, yet i did.

1dx w/ 500 ii w/ kenko 1.4x and canon 1.4x iii in crappy lighting

iso - 20,000
    tv - 1/2500
    f/ - 8.0 (camera reporst f/5.6)

holzphotosmall0001-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2012
    Congratulations on the new camera. clap.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2012
    holzphoto wrote: »
    well i said i wasn't getting one, yet i did.

1dx w/ 500 ii w/ kenko 1.4x and canon 1.4x iii in crappy lighting

iso - 20,000
    tv - 1/2500
    f/ - 8.0 (camera reporst f/5.6)

holzphotosmall0001-XL.jpg

ISO 20,000?
    Is that a typo meant to be 2K?

If not, that is truly amazing!!!
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2012
    nw scout wrote: »
    ISO 20,000?
    Is that a typo meant to be 2K?

If not, that is truly amazing!!!
    EXIF definitely shows ISO 20,000.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2012
    Interesting head-to-head test of Canon 1DX vs Nikon D4 by Xero Digital.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2012
    Cuong wrote: »
    Interesting head-to-head test of Canon 1DX vs Nikon D4 by Xero Digital.

Cuong

Let the bun fight begin :D
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2012
    My 1Dx arrived in the post today iloveyou.gif Looking forward to visiting New York with my family for the first time this weekend. Suddenly the trip is a lot more exciting rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2012
    pemmett wrote: »
    My 1Dx arrived in the post today iloveyou.gif Looking forward to visiting New York with my family for the first time this weekend. Suddenly the trip is a lot more exciting rolleyes1.gif

Congratulations on the new camera. clap.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2013
    Noticed this little snippet at the bottom of Andy Rouse's blog (08 Jan '13)

<< Oh I almost forgot one thing, in this year I changed camera system too, from Nikon to Canon. The reasons, well they were compelling but they will stay with me for now as it would be unprofessional to do otherwise. Suffice it to say that shooting with the 1DX has allowed to work without barriers and I have not regretted the change for 1 nanosecond >>

http://www.andyrouse.co.uk/index.php?link=blog

pp
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2013

Most curious.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2013

<< Oh I almost forgot one thing, in this year I changed camera system too, from Nikon to Canon. The reasons, well they were compelling but they will stay with me for now as it would be unprofessional to do otherwise. Suffice it to say that shooting with the 1DX has allowed to work without barriers and I have not regretted the change for 1 nanosecond >>

http://www.andyrouse.co.uk/index.php?link=blog

pp

another wildlife photographer likes his 1DX - nice pics on the blog