Options

African Dream

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »

One of the highlights was when a caracal was sighted.

The back story... on top of each vehicle we had a Maasai spotter - riding on the roof. As we approached the "Caracal sighting" we're maybe 200 meters away - and the spotter on the roof says "OVER THERE!" and what he saw was just a tuft of brown fur deeply hidden behind some grasses - from that far away. Truly amazing. The Caracal sighting was one of the highlights of the Safari - first in finding them - then in the waiting. We waited for maybe 45 mins to an hour for the juveniles to emerge from the grass. What a thrill! This particular episode will be the subject of a technical post from Marc and me soon, comparing the awesomeness of the Nikon D3S and 200-400VR with erem... another camera and lens lol3.gif
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    The back story... on top of each vehicle we had a Maasai spotter - riding on the roof. As we approached the "Caracal sighting" we're maybe 200 meters away - and the spotter on the roof says "OVER THERE!" and what he saw was just a tuft of brown fur deeply hidden behind some grasses - from that far away. Truly amazing. The Caracal sighting was one of the highlights of the Safari - first in finding them - then in the waiting. We waited for maybe 45 mins to an hour for the juveniles to emerge from the grass. What a thrill! This particular episode will be the subject of a technical post from Marc and me soon, comparing the awesomeness of the Nikon D3S and 200-400VR with erem... another camera and lens lol3.gif

Our Maasai guides and spotters were absolutely incredible. Their knowledge of the behavior of the wildlife and their locations was invaluable. They also understood light and composition and usually got us into the perfect spot to get a capture.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    Brilliant Harry, absolutely brilliant !!
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Just bogarting - here's the same scene in IR
    IMG0023-L.jpg

H, love yours!

That ain't too shabby Andy. There were so many ways to capture the various scenes we were privileged to view that the choices could be overwhelming.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2011
    The only thing I regretted about our stay in Maasai Mara was that we never got to see the wildebeests crossing the river. They formed up a few times but the mass crossing never happened.
    D3S0695-XL.jpg

As a consolation prize we got a couple of mini-crossings

D3D5332-XL.jpg

D3D5273-XL.jpg

D3S9045-XL.jpg

I was able to witness two males having a go at each other
    D3S3092-XL.jpg

It was a disappointment but we made do with what was available. :cry

D3S1512-XL.jpg

D3S2357-XL.jpg

D3D6047-XL.jpg

D3S1742-XL.jpg
    All good things come to an end and way before I was ready we were saying our good-byes to our new friends and boarding Air Muench for our flight to Amboseli

harry-100-XL.jpg

Leaving Maasai Mara
    harry-110-XL.jpg

hello Ambesoli
    D3S3936-XL.jpg
    Harry
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 7, 2011
    :lurk
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2011
    Seamus wrote: »
    Brilliant Harry, absolutely brilliant !!

Thaks Shay, its been awhile since I heard from you. It was hard to take a bad picture at the places we were taken to.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2011
    Amboseli provided a very different setting than our prior stops. It had big skies, wide and dusty plains with occasional swampy areas.

D3S3899-XL.jpg

D3S3921-XL.jpg

Its close to Mt. Kilimanjaro but as the rainy season was coming in it was usually shrouded in clouds.
    D3D6898HDR-XL.jpg

Unlike our prior stops our camp in Amboseli was a temporary camp put up by the Ker & Downey folks shortly before our arrival.

harry-203-XL.jpg

fortunately I'm a veteran so I was used to hardships
    harry-193-XL.jpg

D3D6192-XL.jpg

harry-197-XL.jpg

My tent man, Mamba, heating up the water for my shower
    D3D6366-XL.jpg

our tent
    harry-092-XL.jpg

lunch
    harry-065-XL.jpg

this desert was spun caramel over ice cream
    harry-012-XL.jpg

harry-009-XL.jpg

The photo ops in Amboseli weres pretty good compensation for our Spartan living arrangements. If you want elephant captures. Amboseli is the place to go.

D3D6222-XL.jpg

D3D6234-XL.jpg

D3D6226-XL.jpg

D3D6799-XL.jpg

it also provided us an opportunity to observe the Maasai.
    harry-022-XL.jpg
    Harry
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    OMG, that last one of the Maasi is National Geographic cover material!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 10, 2011
    cmason wrote: »
    OMG, that last one of the Maasi is National Geographic cover material!
    Yeah, it is. Amboseli looks wonderful, but of course the whole trip looks amazing so far. The elephants in the swamps is something you don't see very day. The landscape is incredible. Really marvelous captures, Harry. thumb.gifthumb
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    There are great images in this thread! They seem to follow three recurring themes - wildlife, Maasi and food! :D
  • Options
    captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011

My only complaint was with the prior occupants
    D3S8690-XL.jpg

There was family of hyraxes hanging out on our porch. They seemed to resent our presence. They always scampered away when I came on the porch but one always stayed close and glared at me.
    D3S8698-XL.jpg

I love Hyraxes, or rock dassies as they called them in South Africa. We used to stay at the lake during vactions in Malawi and they'd run up and down the tin roofs of the buildings we stayed in- made quite a racket. When you looked them up did you see they're related to Elephants? Hard to believe something so small and so large have something in common. thanks for sharing these brings back great memories.
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2011
    There are great images in this thread! They seem to follow three recurring themes - wildlife, Maasi and food! :D

That sounds right
    Harry
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2011
    captnemo wrote: »
    I love Hyraxes, or rock dassies as they called them in South Africa. We used to stay at the lake during vactions in Malawi and they'd run up and down the tin roofs of the buildings we stayed in- made quite a racket. When you looked them up did you see they're related to Elephants? Hard to believe something so small and so large have something in common. thanks for sharing these brings back great memories.

Yeah, I read about their relationship to the elephants and was amazed that such different animals could be related.
    Harry
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    Vicarious adventures through your and Marc's / Andy's Journey threads have been amazing. You obviously have just had the experience of a lifetime and the images you've all returned with are stunning! You do have my sympathies for the primitive conditions in which you had to live :cry but I'm glad to see you overcame adversity and soldiered on. Well done!thumb.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    We did less wildlife shooting in Amboseli because of our limited time there and the other available photo ops. Despite that we managed to get in some captures.

a silver-backed jackal (aka - black-backed jackal) gnawing on a bone.
    D3D6345-XL.jpg

an Eagle Owl
    D3D6584-XL.jpg

reticulated giraffes
    D3D6469-XL.jpg

D3S4126-XL.jpg

we were able to get fairly close to the elephants
    D3S4168-XL.jpg

D3D6836-XL.jpg

D3D6800-XL.jpg

The elephants cool off by covering themselves with dirt
    D3D6661bw-XL.jpg

D3D6691-XL.jpg

some like to wallow in the mud
    D3D6733-XL.jpg

D3S4194-XL.jpg

some of us played on the rocks
    D3S4052-XL.jpg

the view from my tent
    D3S3971-XL.jpg

The last day and a half was spent with the Maasai. I'll post those pic sin the next installment.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    clap.gifclap.gif LOVE 'EM!
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    D3S4194-XL.jpg

Fantastic!iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2011
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Vicarious adventures through your and Marc's / Andy's Journey threads have been amazing. You obviously have just had the experience of a lifetime and the images you've all returned with are stunning! You do have my sympathies for the primitive conditions in which you had to live :cry but I'm glad to see you overcame adversity and soldiered on. Well done!thumb.gif

It was he trip of a lifetime (mine anyhow :D). Andy and Marc did a fantastic job of putting it togther and James Robertson and Ker and Downey handled all the details perfectly. I can't think how it could have been done better.
    Harry
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    Great photos and narrative, Harry! Loved them all.
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2011
    What really made the trip special for me was our chance to meet and get a glimpse at the look of the Maasai. The maasai have resisted pressures to adopt a more sedentary lifestyle and continue to live as they did centuries ago.

In all my travels I have not meet a group of people who have so favorably impressed me. My favorite quote from the trip came when one of the Maasai was asked if he was worried to walk in the countryside with all the lions that were about. He shook his head and said: "no, the Lions are afraid of the Maasai".

We visited a small village. The huts are surrounded by a wall made from the thorned acacia trees. Their livestock are kept inside the wall at night to keep them safe from predators.

harry-233-XL.jpg

D3S4332-XL.jpg

D3S4319bw-XL.jpg

D3S4293-XL.jpg

D3D6984bw-XL.jpg

D3S4348-XL.jpg

D3D7068bw-XL.jpg
    they enjoy having their picture taken and then reviewing the result
    D3S4345-XL.jpg

D3S4322-XL.jpg

They livestock is their wealth
    D3D7050-XL.jpg

D3D7003-XL.jpg

They were expecting our visit and the women came in and set of a shopping mall under a tree with crafts to sell.
    D3D6996-XL.jpg

D3D7009-XL.jpg

D3D7065-XL.jpg

after a visit to the village we paid a visit to the school

harry-044-XL.jpg

D3D7083bw-XL.jpg

D3D7087-XL.jpg

D3D7092bw-XL.jpg

D3D7107-XL.jpg

Andy brought some balloons along
    D3S4376-XL.jpg

they had recess
    D3D7138bw-XL.jpg

harry-054-XL.jpg

D3D7127bw-XL.jpg

harry-060bw-XL.jpg
    Harry
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    Love these beyond words iloveyou.gifbow
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2011
    Great photos and narrative, Harry! Loved them all.

Thanks much Glenn. Hw are y'all doing. Give my best to Mrs. Raptorcaptor.
    Harry
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    In shot 3 looks like the kids had lunch with Andy headscratch.gif Harry did you wear out your shutter on this trip :D You did have a good time thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2011
    jwear wrote: »
    In shot 3 looks like the kids had lunch with Andy headscratch.gif Harry did you wear out your shutter on this trip :D You did have a good time thumb.gif

lol3.gif

harry may've worn out that shutter, we'll see!
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2011
    jwear wrote: »

I had a great time Jeff and my shutter did get a workout on the trip. Marc did a video where he claims that the only sound that can be heard is the clicking of my shutter in the back ground.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2011
    Taking a break from the Maasai for a bit. On our safari we had 11 avid photographers toting a very impressive array of cameras and glass. My kit contained over $30k worth of equipment. Our 12th participant was an avid non-photographer, my wife, Linda.

When we were in B&H in June I suggested that she get herself a camera for the impending Africa safari and she opted for the Panasonic DMC-ZS8. She liked its size (tiny). Its a 14mp small sensor digicam with a 16x lens (24-384mm). You can buy one at Amazon for less than $200.

After buying the camera Linda put it aside. On our last day in London I took her out for a bit so she could finally use the camera and get to know how to use it before we landed in Kenya.

So do you need the best and most expensive gear to get good captures on an African safari or can you get by with the less expensive options? Here are some of Linda's captures.

Linda-2058-XL.jpg

Linda-5074-XL.jpg

Linda-5336-XL.jpg

Linda2088-XL.jpg

Linda-323-XL.jpg

Linda-286-XL.jpg
    This was the most dangerous part of our trip. Andy driving Marc, Linda and myself. Our guide took the shot with Linda's camera.
    Linda-049-XL.jpg

Andy asked Linda to get food shots during the trip. Linda took her assignment very seriously.
    Linda-402-XL.jpg

Linda-5282-XL.jpg

Linda-5357-XL.jpg

Linda-5361-XL.jpg

Linda-5485-XL.jpg

Linda in action
    D3S4046-XL.jpg
    Harry
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2011
    LOVE LOVE LOVE the shots Linda took - thank so much for posting!

eek7.gif re "most dangerous part" lol3.gif good thing I only had to drive that vehicle about 300 meters
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited November 22, 2011
    Linda did just fine, Harry, I think you need to give your fancy camera gear to me, and get a camera like Linda's.

:hide
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin