Options

African Dream

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    LOVE LOVE LOVE the shots Linda took - thank so much for posting!

eek7.gif re "most dangerous part" lol3.gif good thing I only had to drive that vehicle about 300 meters

I have to admit that I was surprised by the results she got from that digicam.

It was very fortunate that the drive was short. I'm old and my heart couldn't handle all that stress for an extended period. .
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited November 23, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    After getting unpacked at Wilderness Trails in Lewa Downs we started what would become the routine for the rest of the trip. Normally we set out before sunrise on a game drive, took a lunch break midday followed by a critique session or learning session with Marc and Andy then in the late afternoon we would do another drive till after sunset.

the ability to get close to the wildlife afforded us some wonderful photo ops
    D3S8635-XL.jpg

D3S8543-XL.jpg

more later

Came in near the end, went back to the beginning and looking forward to reading it all! clap.gif Thank you! clap.gifclap.gif

Gretchen
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Linda did just fine, Harry, I think you need to give your fancy camera gear to me, and get a camera like Linda's.

:hide

Not a bad idea PF but I'm kind if used to my current kit. Linda's camera looks a tad too complcated to me. She has all these scene modes to choose from. I would just get confused.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2011
    After our visit to the Maasai village and the school we returned to our camp. In the afternoon the local Maasai paid us a visit and put on the Maasai Olympics for us.

Some walked for miles to participate.

D3S4430bw-XL.jpg

before the festivities the Maasai painted their faces
    DSC8903-XL.jpg

DSC8910bw-XL.jpg

D3S5524bw-XL.jpg

D3S5527-XL.jpg
    the warriors hung out together and tried to see who could jump higherDSC8980bw-XL.jpg

The first event was spear throwing. I handled one of their spears before the contest and those suckers are rather heavy.

D3S4554bw-XL.jpg

D3S5310-XL.jpg

D3S5371-XL.jpg

D3S4768bw-XL.jpg

after the spears had been thrown they would race to reclaim them for their next go at it.

D3S4879-XL.jpg

after a number of tries one of the warriors hit the target (a water bottle).
    The winner
    D3S5376-XL.jpg

D3S5392-XL.jpg

The next event was the races
    D3S5420-XL.jpg

D3S5508bw-XL.jpg

D3S5586bw-XL.jpg

D3S5588bw-XL.jpg

They ran three heats. The first one was pre-arranged with a cash prize to the winners. For the next two heats Andy had to raise the prize money. Linda was able to grab a quick snap of me getting mugged by Andy
    Linda-5670-XL.jpg
    Harry
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    Linda was able to grab a quick snap of me getting mugged by Andy
    Linda-5670-400x400.jpg

lol3.gif Love it!
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    Jawdropingly awesome series Harry!
  • Options
    pmaxwellpmaxwell Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    Bravo! Incredible!
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2011
    OK its time to wrap this puppy up. After the Maasai Olympics we all headed up this hill at sunset.
    DSC9002bw-XL.jpg

DSC9007bw-XL.jpg

Then the Maasai took the higher ground for us to get some captures
    D3S5652-XL.jpg

D3S5683-XL.jpg

D3S5709-XL.jpg

Then they marched back down and gave us a demo of their dances
    DSC9063bw-XL.jpg

DSC9193bw-XL.jpg

DSC9329bw-XL.jpg

DSC9466bw-XL.jpg

DSC9613bw-XL.jpg

Now while all of this was going on there was a spectacular sunset going on. Marc said that it was one of the best sunsets he had ever seen. I was tempted to try a few captures but every time I tried Andy came running up and said "you have sunsets back home, but you can't shoot Maasai dancing back home". :bash

I managed to sneak in a few anyhow.

D3S5632bw-XL.jpg

D3S5640-XL.jpg

all too soon the sun set, the moon came up and it was time for our last dinner in the field.
    DSC9616-XL.jpg

spirits were high
    harry-073-XL.jpg

they baked us a cake and despite my explicit instructions gave Andy a sharp knife
    harry-076-XL.jpg

then there was some more dancing
    harry-083-XL.jpg

then again against my instructions they gave Andy access to booze.
    harry-089-XL.jpg

Andy promptly poured the champaign over James Robertson of Ker & Downey and one other person.
    harry-091-XL.jpg

here's Linda's pic of Andy and me. Notice the champaign all over my shirt.
    Linda-5767-XL.jpg

This was the best trip of my life. Bravo to Andy, Marc, James Robertson, and our Maasai drivers, guides, spotters, and staff. After I completed the processing of the captures from the trip I fell into a mild depression because that was the end of this adventure for me. However I found the cure. I'm signed up for two more African workshops wings.gif

If you have the inclination maybe I'll see you at those workshops.

the end
    D3S6420-XL.jpg
    Harry
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2011
    THE END
    D3S6420-300x300.jpg

Bravo, Harry, awesome photos, great thread, narrative, and fun!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    Bravo, Harry, awesome photos, great thread, narrative, and fun!

15524779-Ti.gif

Who knew that Andy posed a greater threat to your well being than the predatory animals that you were within feet of? ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    Very nice Harry, I had to call the wife over to take a look too. I wish I could go on a trip such as this, maybe someday when my kids are grown and gone. Again.....very nice. thumb.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif

Who knew that Andy posed a greater threat to your well being than the predatory animals that you were within feet of? ne_nau.gif

And yet, he's going with me on two more trips... :yikes
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif

Andy was manageable but they should have listened to me about keeping him away from sharp objects and booze.
    Harry
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    This is so exciting! I'm (hopefully) headed to Tanzania for a few weeks this summer and now I'm even more anxious to go than before :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2011
    Kinkajou wrote: »
    This is so exciting! I'm (hopefully) headed to Tanzania for a few weeks this summer and now I'm even more anxious to go than before :)

Have a great trip and be sure to share your photos.
    Harry
  • Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    Wonderful series, Harry, both the photography and the narrative. I couldn't leave my chair until I finished it.
    This particular episode will be the subject of a technical post from Marc and me soon, comparing the awesomeness of the Nikon D3S and 200-400VR with erem... another camera and lens lol3.gif

Has this been posted yet?
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2011
    jthomas wrote: »
    Wonderful series, Harry, both the photography and the narrative. I couldn't leave my chair until I finished it.

Originally Posted by Andy viewpost.png
    This particular episode will be the subject of a technical post from Marc and me soon, comparing the awesomeness of the Nikon D3S and 200-400VR with erem... another camera and lens lol3.gif

Has this been posted yet?

Not yet and I'm waiting on that one too. :lurk
    Harry
  • Options
    CRobHCRobH Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    Great thread and AWESOME photos!
  • Options
    bnlearlebnlearle Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    Wow. Just went through all 6 pages. The pile of lions shot hands down was my favorite. As a lover of Africa, hands down my favorite place to visit on the planet, I'm definitely jealous of your trip!!!
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2011
    CRobH wrote: »
    Great thread and AWESOME photos!
    bnlearle wrote: »
    Wow. Just went through all 6 pages. The pile of lions shot hands down was my favorite. As a lover of Africa, hands down my favorite place to visit on the planet, I'm definitely jealous of your trip!!!

Thanks very much, glad you enjoyed the thread.
    Harry
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2011
    me loving
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2011
    Wonderful shots Harry...one of those made me feel like I was there presentations. I hated to see the thread end. Mind sharing some of your post processing tricks?
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    bobpalbobpal Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2011
    Wow! Thanks for taking us along on this wonderful trip. Great photos.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2012
    Ed911 wrote: »
    Wonderful shots Harry...one of those made me feel like I was there presentations. I hated to see the thread end. Mind sharing some of your post processing tricks?

Thanks Ed, glad you enjoyed the thread, we had a ball getting those captures.

As for the processing not much was required as the inital captures came out so well. Just the usual minor WB adjustment, setting the black point, minor exposures adjustment in ACR. In PS I applied some light sharpenig with Nik's Sharperner Pro. I used Nik's Color Efex Detail Extractor filter on many of the images and I used the Tonal Contrast Filter lightly on a few images also. All filters were applied to the subject only and not applied globally. On a few images I used NIK's Vivenza. For the BW conversions I used Nik's Silver Exef. You can surmise that I'm a big fan of the plug-ins from Nik. :D
    Harry
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    Thanks Ed, glad you enjoyed the thread, we had a ball getting those captures.

As for the processing not much was required as the inital captures came out so well. Just the usual minor WB adjustment, setting the black point, minor exposures adjustment in SCR. In PS I applied some light sharpenig with Nik's Sharperner Pro. I used Nik's Color Efex Detail Extractor filter on many of the images and I used the Tonal Contrast Filter lightly on a few images also. All filters were applied to the subject only and not applied globally. On a few images I used NIK's Vivenza. For the BW conversions I used Nik's Silver Exef. You can surmise that I'm a big fan of the plug-ins from Nik. :D

Thanks Harry...again, really, really nice images...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    Thanks Harry. Superb images, and a great story. Thanks for adding yet another must see place to the list. If you could kindly furnish me with some winning lottery numbers it would be much appreciated.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    Damn, Harry. I'm virtually speechless. That's some of the best photography I've seen anywhere, any time, from any shooter. As a body of work, the presentation of the Maasai people was simply astounding.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    CodyBoxerCodyBoxer Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    Thank you so much for this presentation, Harry. Really. really good stuff. Had to share it on Google+.
  • Options
    thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2012
    Wow, these are great pictures Harry. I have to go to Africa one day (amongest many places). It was fun seeing you and Andy together, reminds me of when my brother and I get together. :)
  • Options
    FishEyeJohnFishEyeJohn Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    This is another shot form a trip away to Africa to see a friend in Kenya. There was this beautiful fresh morning when we went for a walk on the beach to walk the two dogs. I took my camera and we caught some fanatstic photos of the [URL="file:///C:/Users/mitarbeiter/Desktop/430212_10150553184705208_509105207_8927843_591023233_n.jpg"]local wildlife[/URL]. I love this shot of the birds flocking over the sea. Captures this feeling of freedom, something I rarely feel where I live in Ireland. I am getting these images printed for a friends birthday as Im trying to get moore work published and he knows a few people in the art industry!

:ivar
    “ Beauty can be seen in all things, seeing and composing the beauty is what separates the snapshot from the photograph. – Matt Hardy

“ You don’t take a photograph, you make it. - Ansel Adams