Options

Entry Thread DSS #98 (Contrasting Colors - SOOC)

Comments

• Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    JAG wrote: »
    Thanks for letting me know. All fixed now!thumb.gif
    I don't understand if we are supposed to shoot for contrasting colors, why post a list for complementary colors?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    I don't know, but my date modified keeps changing when I upload to the Challenge. I'm not doing anything to it. This is frustrating because I can't use the shot I want.

I see that a good bit of the shots entered will also be DQ'd for the same reason. Check your modified dates, everyone!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    I have to say, not a big fan of the SOOC challenges for the same reason. I get the reasoning, but it's a little like driving a stock car round the block in the neighborhood.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2012
    Aaron - jealous! You have no idea.

Tried again - did not modify in any way - still did not work. All I did was load the shots, open them in Windows and look at them. Then uploaded. Did NOT erase from camera this time. Good thing there's a week left. This shouldn't be happening.....I've done it before.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 11, 2012
    Jenn wrote: »
    I don't understand if we are supposed to shoot for contrasting colors, why post a list for complementary colors?

complementary colors and contrasting colors are the same thing. Just using either RGB or the old art color wheel that has been used for centuries. It means "Opposite Colors" in either case. Both articles explain basically the same things with two types of color wheels. You decide which wheel you would like to work with. But the two dominate colors should clearly reflect 'opposite colors' on one of the two wheels.
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2012
    I am seeing a lot of images that are getting them in without modifying the exif. So it is not smugmug changing the exif. The problem must lie in the way you are obtaining them from your camera. I usually will download them from my card into my pictures then view in windows and it never changes the exif to do that. I do not use an editing program to get them off the card. I use windows basic viewer program. Not sure what operating system you are using. The link I provided to another sooc discussion talks about apple, so hopefully that will help. Anyone here who has sucessfully entered, if you could please give some insite on how you did it, maybe those who are having problems can get something from the way you did it.

Sandi are you getting the images onto your computer by coping the file or by moving the file completely? Seems to me if its copied then it could change the modification date because its a copy of the original? Just a suggestion. What are you using to load the images?
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    RGB. You ain't going for print.

In other news, I realized I forgot to shoot large .jpg with an image. If I like it, I guess it's going to be a small .jpg.

PS: how you guys gonna confirm it's OOC? I mean, I almost always shoot near to OOC anyways, but ...

If the modified date is different than the date taken... or even the time is different, it will be DQ'ed.
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    dnie wrote: »
    If the modified date is different than the date taken... or even the time is different, it will be DQ'ed.

Well, it looks like the original date shooting was preserved when I brought the pics off the camera onto the computer. Standard operating procedure - will investigate further.

EDIT: Well, holy jumpin'. Good thing you responded, because I assumed that the bits and pieces would remain after a transfer using the standard software. It didn't.... fortunately, I haven't formatted teh blasted card yet.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    I think the key here is I didn't open the file with any software.

Yup, that's what I've found, too. I copy files to my hard drive and look at them in Bridge, LR, or (insert your viewer software here). Once I find the shot I want to use, I go back to the card and upload to the Challenge Gallery directly from the card. I think it works fine to copy the file to the HD and upload from there. I believe the trick is not to view the photo then try to upload.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    I haven't read too much on what peoples specific problems are with this, but... for me and my entry that did download correctly is I shot in jpeg "in-camera", then took my SD card and slotted it into the SD slot on my laptop. Opened and logged into the entry gallery and dropped the jpeg image straight from the SD card to the smugmug gallery.

I think the key here is I didn't open the file with any software.
    billseye wrote: »
    Yup, that's what I've found, too. I copy files to my hard drive and look at them in Bridge, LR, or (insert your viewer software here). Once I find the shot I want to use, I go back to the card and upload to the Challenge Gallery directly from the card. I think it works fine to copy the file to the HD and upload from there. I believe the trick is not to view the photo then try to upload.

Good ideas guys! Thanks for the help!thumb.gif
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    JAG wrote: »
    complementary colors and contrasting colors are the same thing. Just using either RGB or the old art color wheel that has been used for centuries. It means "Opposite Colors" in either case. Both articles explain basically the same things with two types of color wheels. You decide which wheel you would like to work with. But the two dominate colors should clearly reflect 'opposite colors' on one of the two wheels.

OK got it ..

On one wheel blue and yellow and pink/purple and green are opposites, but on the other wheel, blue and orange and red and green are opposites?

color me confused now.. Laughing.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    Joyce - I am simply uploading from my camera (via USB) to a Windows folder, then viewing in the Windows Picture Viewer, then uploading to the Challenge.

The only thing I can think that might have happened is that I uploaded one of the pictures to SmugMug (not one of the Challenge entries) and it changed the modified date in the entire folder.
    SandiZ
  • Options
    endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    Sorry havn't responded back, was out of town for the weekend.

When I look at the EXIF data with my Nikon viewer it shows no difference from date taken and date modified, it's only in the smug mug gallery that it changes and I believe it's giving the download time. Why is this showing up this way only in the smugmug gallery?????
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    Gonna try and add a screen shot of my Nikon reader data showing it's not been modified. Something is being changed when it goes into smugmug gallery.

exif-data-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    maybe try not using any software at all. ne_nau.gif drag & drop from your card to the gallery.

I have all ready formatted the card and moved on to other subjects so I would have to recreate the shot, buy more flowers and wait for another blue sky day to reshoot and then who knows what the real problem is so it may recreate the same issue. I appreciate everyones help with this, I may just have to sit this one out and future SOC challanges.

I added the screen shot showing that the problem appears to be happening when it's uploaded to smugmug. Smug is reading different data than my Nikon view software is. It's showing the upload to my computer time as modified time.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    Jenn wrote: »
    OK got it ..

On one wheel blue and yellow and pink/purple and green are opposites, but on the other wheel, blue and orange and red and green are opposites?

color me confused now.. Laughing.gif

People will need to get both colorwheels opened when they go to judge this and see if each image meets one or the other contrasting colors definitions. Not too difficult to do.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    I think Aaron has described the best way to up load to the album. I can assure you, smugmug is not changing the exif modification date. If the program you are uploading to your computer with is adding any kind of meta data, like artist/photographer name to the image when it loads to your folder, then that is probably the time difference. Thus you will have to trust your cameras playback viewer, or do as Billeye suggested. It can work. If it was the smugmug gallery changing the exif, then no one would be able to succeed at putting an image in. Yet that is not the case here.
  • Options
    Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    Endurodog,

I also use Nikon software and noticed the date change when I uploaded my image. I use Nikon Transfer to get the files off my camera. When I look in the folder Nikon Transfer creates, the date taken and date modified times of both the .nef and the .jpg are different. I had to reshoot and upload directly from the camera to ensure the date modified time was the same and the date taken.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    Pat664422 wrote: »
    Endurodog,

I also use Nikon software and noticed the date change when I uploaded my image. I use Nikon Transfer to get the files off my camera. When I look in the folder Nikon Transfer creates, the date taken and date modified times of both the .nef and the .jpg are different. I had to reshoot and upload directly from the camera to ensure the date modified time was the same and the date taken.

***LIKE*** I wish we had a like button!

Exactly my point! DO NOT USE ANY EDITING SOFTWARE PROGRAM TO EXTRACT YOUR FILES TO YOUR COMPUTER. Direct upload from your camera works best.

To Sandi, avoid uploading to a window file first. Use the usb cable and upload directly to the gallery.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    Jag I understand but something is being read different from the Nikon program and the smugmug program. They both have date modified times and they are different, smugmug says modified, Nikon view says no modification. I'm not saying that smugmug is changing them I'm saying they are reading the data different even though no modifications were made. No names were added, nothing more than using them for an upload from camera to computer. The photos have been deleted from the memory card and I have moved on to other subjects. It's unfortunate they both don't read the same. I will just sit this one and future SOOC challanges out but now I know not to put the effort into the shoot next time.

FWIW the photos were downloaded with Nikon Transfer, looked at in Windows Picture Viewer, and uploaded. No editing program was used until I saw the difference in modified times "after" the upload and then all I did was look at the EXIF data. The time smugmug says the image was modified was when it was uploaded using Nikon Transfer. Nikon Transfer is not an editing program and has no option for editing. NO EDITING SOFTWARE WAS USED PRIOR TO UPLOAD.

Good luck to everyone in the challange.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    endurodog,

What I was trying to say is, Nikon Transfer changes the Date Modified time. I just checked it again - I just used it to get two of the images off my camera and I immediately looked at the date taken and date modified times in the Windows Explorer folder and they are different. The date modified times are right now - the time which they were copied off the camera.
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    Nikon transfer was a problem for several other people the last time we had a SOOC challenge. The best method is to use a card reader and upload directly from the card to SmugMug. Any other method has the chance of modifying the EXIF especially with Nikon transfer software. There was a few others having some challenges with EXIF from an OSX downloader as well.

There is no need to sit out a SOOC challenge just make sure everything is good before deleting photos off of your camera card. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    Pat664422 wrote: »
    endurodog,

What I was trying to say is, Nikon Transfer changes the Date Modified time. I just checked it again - I just used it to get two of the images off my camera and I immediately looked at the date taken and date modified times in the Windows Explorer folder and they are different. The date modified times are right now - the time which they were copied off the camera.

Thanks Pat, I saw that but the Nikon program reads it as unmodified and the smugmug program reads it as changed. Wish they both read the same thing is all, would avoid this since my images have been deleted off the memory card all ready. Lesson learned, no more SOOC challanges for me.

Went and looked and out of the 12 entries so far 5 have different take dates and modified dates, now I don't know if they are modified or running into the same problem as me with the way Smugmug reads the data or if it's just Nikon Transfer that is causing the problem. Saw one other person that said they had taken the picture they watned to use while on vacation and can't re-create it. It wouldn't be so frustrating if my EXIF program didn't read the data as no problem and the smugmug one does. The programs are looking at different data but labeling it the same

Good luck everyone.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    sherstone wrote: »
    Nikon transfer was a problem for several other people the last time we had a SOOC challenge. The best method is to use a card reader and upload directly from the card to SmugMug. Any other method has the chance of modifying the EXIF especially with Nikon transfer software. There was a few others having some challenges with EXIF from an OSX downloader as well.

There is no need to sit out a SOOC challenge just make sure everything is good before deleting photos off of your camera card. thumb.gif

Thanks Sean I appreciate your response. Kind of frustrating when you set up a shoot, spend some money and time and think you have it right and a glitch like this one pops up when you follow all the rules. Best way for me to avoid further frustration on my relaxing past time is just to avoid it all together and not enter SOOC shooting. I will just enjoy everyone else great work, some great shots all ready in the challange.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    Aaron - what kind of camera is it, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm going to try to enter again. I'm going to delete all that I've downloaded to my computer, then reload from the camera again in a brand new folder. Then straight to the Challenge for upload. I did that the last time, but did upload one picture first to SmugMug which may have changed the modified dates on all pics in the folder. I'm not even sure this shot is worth all the trouble!

Joyce - if this doesn't work, I'm sorry you have to delete another one. I don't know it's doing it until I get it in there.
    SandiZ
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    I'm about ready to give up. I loaded all freshly taken pictures onto my computer, opened them in Windows Picture Viewer and looked at the properties. The date taken and date modified matched exactly. Uploaded to Challenges and it changed. :cry
    SandiZ
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    SeascapeS,

I connected my camera to my pc using a usb cable, then I used the uploader that will let you browse your computer for the picture and I browsed to the actual camera.
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    In my case, when I had a chance to shoot, I forgot and shot in raw. So, the raw had to be converted, and my date will get me DQ'ed. I don't think I am going to have the time to shoot again (and figure out the proper dump technique) as work is crazy busy.

But what I remember from the last time we did this is that, in my case, with a Mac and my Nikon D700, you cannot connect the camera and simply browse to the camera card. Not an option. The Mac does not see the camera. There is a lesser known app in the Mac called Image Capture (search for it) that will somehow find files on the camera and dump them straight to a folder, which can then be uploaded without modification.

But I have to say (again, sorry) that I'm not sure what we're learning by being a stickler for these dates and times. There are software tools out there that make the EXIF data editable. I can take an old photo, process it however I want to, save it as a JPEG, and then edit the captured/modified times to match, and then upload it. (I'm pretty sure, though I've never done this. You might actually even be able to do it within Lightroom!)

So, I would suggest that there is more of an honor system approach to the no editing rounds. Afterall, if someone cheats, they're just cheating their own experience.

But that's just me...
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    What bugs me is that I uploaded okay the last time we did a SOOC. Same camera, but new computer since then. I don't know why that would make a difference since the dates and times are the same after the upload (properties).

Pat - I did use a USB to upload.
    SandiZ
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    What bugs me is that I uploaded okay the last time we did a SOOC. Same camera, but new computer since then. I don't know why that would make a difference since the dates and times are the same after the upload (properties).

Pat - I did use a USB to upload.

Sandi.. have you tried not opening the file at all in picture viewer? I had the same issue with Bridge. I did what you did, looked at the pictures, noted which one I wanted to upload, then went back to the card (not the PC) and uploaded directly from the card. I think Windows picture viewer may be changing the data.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug