Options

Entry Thread DSS #98 (Contrasting Colors - SOOC)

124»

Comments

• Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2012
    sherstone wrote: »
    No problem Jeffro, All cleaned up now. :D

Thanks.....nothing like feeling like a total idiot.

( hold your comments...:D )
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    sherstone wrote: »
    You are correct that AA did not have Photoshop at his disposal but you need to know that the bulk of work that we know him for did not come SOOC. AA did an extensive amount of work to his images in the darkroom. Photoshop is today's darkroom. Here is just one example of "Why Ansel Adams Would Love Photoshop"
    "In the darkroom, he used a massive amount of dodging and burning, and printed a lot darker than what the scene in reality looked like. Books have been written about his techniques. Ansel Adams was a photographer, artist, and a master at what he did."

:o)
  • Options
    endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012

So given how many people are running around setting their hair on fire over not being able to use <DEL>crutches</DEL> post-processing tools, I'd heartily recommend more of them.

*Ansel Adams, who many adore, didn't tweak his work on photoshop. He got it right, on film. Me, that's what I think we should aspire to: capture it on the camera, don't "rescue" it with photoshop/whatever.

It's not just editing programs causing the problems. There are several issues that are causing users issues with loading the images and modified times. Wish it was that simple as just photo editing software causing the issue.

As some have pointed out AA was big in the darkroom. My understanding is he would spend days with some images in post process. The book mentioned sounds good, I may have to pick that up.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,945 moderator
    edited March 19, 2012
    Sorry to hear that so many people are having trouble with getting their images to reflect that they are really SOOC! In case this helps anyone, I used my card reader to move the jpeg files (from a Canon) to a folder on my macbook desktop. I left those files alone and went back to the card reader to import the same files into LR3 to take a good look at them. When I was ready to upload into dgrin, I went back to the untouched jpegs....
  • Options
    endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Ok I think with JAG's help we have figured out where the modified issue is coming up. With my 2 programs that read EXIF data it still shows as unmodified but smugs reads it different. She suggested I had it set up in Nkon Transfer to add copyright info and a quick check of that found that those settings were set to none. She suggested it may be in camera. I own a Nikon D7000 and I set it up with name when it was new and that is added to my photos and I'm guessing it adds it on upload from the camera. So for shooters that wish to join in on SOOC challanges this is something to consider also. There are several things impacting these uploads and it's not just looking at them with an editing program.

My orginals have been deleted so I won't be joining in on this, or others sooc stuff. Hope this helps some that have ran into this issue. Great shots everyone that has joined in on this one and good luck!!! !
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    endurodog wrote: »
    My orginals have been deleted so I won't be joining in on this, or others sooc stuff. Hope this helps some that have ran into this issue. Great shots everyone that has joined in on this one and good luck!!! !

That's too bad. I had issues too, but finally figured out that loading the picture straight from the card to the gallery was the trick. I almost gave up.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    NelsonKNelsonK Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    I'm not sure if there will be any DQs before it is all said and done, but there has been a lot of activity in the gallery at the last minute. This has shaped up to be an amazing field of images! The voting is going to be extremely tough this go around. Silly me, I actually expected fewer entries after so many reported difficulties regarding the SOOC restriction. But, happily, perseverance and goodwill seem to have won out over technical difficulties (I hope). Good luck, everyone!
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 20, 2012
    poll will be up shortly.