Options

5D Mark III - First 24 Hours Review (post yours here!)

Comments

• Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    it's kinda cool to shoot at ISO 25600.

i-j8Q98pd-S.jpg
    Looks very promising! mwink.gif
  • Options
    Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    Adorama just shipped out my Mark lll :ivar

Really appreciate all the info everyone is sharing here!
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    5D3 quick test
    Grabbed these in the fairly dimly lit store from 1600 to 25600. Will do a more involved test against my 5D2 later tonight. First impressions are amazing. Clean ISO 6400? Usable ISO 25600? What? Is this a dream?

http://jmphotocraft.smugmug.com/Other/5D3-quick-test

ISO 6400:
    6M7C8824-X3.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    The thought of being able to use 800 or 1600 as my "default" ISO has me drooling. I'll be verrrry interested to see a comparison between the II, the III and the 7d!

ETA: I'm kinda laughing at all of this though -when I first started getting seriously into digital in 2007/8, everybody was going loopy over the 40d's ability to push to 3200.... Less than 5 years later and it's all about 25,600? S.c.a.r.y. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2012
    yeah, I remember with my S45 point-n-shoot thinking "man, if I could just have clean ISO 400 I'll be all set!"
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    it's kinda cool to shoot at ISO 25600.
    I will take more test shots, today's been a killer with lots going on at Smuggy so I had no time to use the camera - did manage to do a quick series so you can see ISO 100 up to 25600.

i-j8Q98pd-L.jpg

Incredible iso performance. Thanks for posting, Andy :ivar
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    Andy,

Those high ISO images are SICK!

I'm seriously thinking about offering for sale a slightly used kidney on Craigslist. :D

Sam

PS: When do you think Adobe will have a RAW converter update?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    Andy,

Those high ISO images are SICK!

I'm seriously thinking about offering for sale a slightly used kidney on Craigslist. :D

Sam

PS: When do you think Adobe will have a RAW converter update?
    I'm betting within a few days, Sam.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    Tomorrow, I'm doing a commercial kitchen shoot with Rick Sammon, and my 5DIII. Will Share.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    Now the question is do I sell my 5D II or the 7D? :D

Sam
  • Options
    Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    Just picked up my 5D3! I haven't even turned it on yet, but I did unwrap it and I can tell you it's a world of difference in terms of build quality and ergonomics. Got to finish up some errands, and then I'll be testing it this evening with a complete Canon lens lineup from the 16-35mm all the way up to the 800mm. So stoked!

Sam

I'm facing the same predicament! headscratch.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    Sam
    As I have mentioned, I'm keeping both. I'll be using 5DIII + 5DII for model/portrait work and 5DIII + 7D for events and other situations where I can benefit from an "extra reach". Since they all use the same batteries and such it's a nice happy set to maintain...:D
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2012
    Um...Just unboxed my 5D III..

I AM IN LOVE!!!!!!

The 5D III and my 70-200 2.8 IS II = heaven! I will post a few pics later.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2012
    This is the camera I've been waiting for. Thank you Canon, and I'm sorry, for I will not be buying another camera until this one dies!

ISO 3200
    d3200-X3.jpg
    -Jack

• Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    Looks like some sweet high ISO, I think that 25600 beats my 40d at 400 rolleyes1.gif

The real question is, When are you selling the old one Andy? mwink.gif
  • Options
    GRodGRod Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    To all you guys that now have the MKIII....all the best. "Good things happen to those who wait"..I don't know the person's name that made that quote but it certainly applys today.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2012
    :cry I'm impressed. VERY impressed. And wracking my brain trying to figure out what I can sell/which bank to rob to buy one. I have a feeling I might have to go back to a 1-body set up, even though that makes me nervous when I'm doing paying shoots (although at the moment no events where it would be as critical) - if I sold BOTH of my bodies and the Tamron 17-50 that might get me close to 1500k, so "only" another $2000 to find after that. Le sigh. Then, of course, all of my lenses will start to feel "short" (although I bet I'll be able to use the 135l more since it will feel more like the 85 does on my 7d :D:D)

That said, I'm NOT sorry to wait a few months until the first batch of (inevitable) production kinks have been worked out. I'll let you all be the beta testers rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2012
    Damn, I'm getting so late to this party :-) Mine just been shipped and should arrive in a week or so... Oh well, I guess more time to read the manual and salivate over the pictures you guys post:-)
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Damn, I'm getting so late to this party :-) Mine just been shipped and should arrive in a week or so... Oh well, I guess more time to read the manual and salivate over the pictures you guys post:-)

Mine hasn't even shipped:cry
  • Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2012
    I'm interested in the HDR dealio ... I'm guessing it actually takes 3 pictures & does not interpolate just one.?
    Has anyone played with that feature yet?
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    One of the first snapshots. I love this camera!

p617481468-5.jpg
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    Sorry I haven't been able to post a review yet! I am lagging!

I was on a shoot in remote Alaska for 18hrs on Wednesday. The 5D3 performed flawlessly for still and video work. I shot with the 70-200II and 16-35II and they felt like perfect fits for that body. From my initial skims through the days take, I can say that 16000 ISO is the new usability limit for me. That limit was around 4000-6400 ISO on the 5D2.

There is a definite improvement in the blue/green color sensitivity. Gorgeous, bright, luminescent blues! That's one thing I missed when I switched to my 5D2 from the D700.

Build quality and ergonomics are just perfect. Little larger than the 5D2, definitely feels heavier. Reminds me of my D700, who's ergonomics I greatly preferred to the 5D2.

The AF is just so much better. Crazy better! About time better! Cannibalize 1Dx sales better!

The new version of DPP with DLO is nice. Nothing mindblowing, but some improvements. The DLO feature hasn't really impressed me. I don't think anyone will notice the difference in print.

The new 5D3 is worth every penny. This is the Canon full frame nirvana we all have been waiting for. Get in line.

Will share photos and video within the next 72hrs.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    Cowboydoug wrote: »
    I'm interested in the HDR dealio ... I'm guessing it actually takes 3 pictures & does not interpolate just one.?
    Has anyone played with that feature yet?

Correct. I'm not into HDR (yet?) so I only played with it once. But yes, it takes 3 rapid-fire pictures. You can specify the bracketing, up to 3 stops on either side of 0.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    The s-series all do faux HDR - main thing is that you MUST be on a tripod, otherwise you get a, um, very interesting effect eek7.gif

Want. This. Camera. You all are killing me, here. My last two shoots were screaming out for the additional DOF options FF would have offered me, and now that users are reporting the AF really *is* up to scratch... Sigh. Trying to figure out what I can sell that doesn't include body parts or breaking the law.... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    I was on a shoot in remote Alaska for 18hrs on Wednesday.
    18 hours in winter... eek7.gif How did the battery hold up?
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    My last two shoots were screaming out for the additional DOF options FF would have offered me,

IMO, the whole DOF issue is way overblown. DOF is actually several bullets down the list of reasons to go to FF.
    and now that users are reporting the AF really *is* up to scratch...

Yes, the AF is all that!
    -Jack

• Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    IMO, the whole DOF issue is way overblown. DOF is actually several bullets down the list of reasons to go to FF.

Perhaps for some kinds of shooting, but I know that there's a "look" to FF shallow DOF portraiture I just can't quite emulate on a crop camera no matter how much I try (and believe me, I do try :); definitely a specific style, but one to which I aspire.... Also, it means I don't have to use my lenses wide open all the time. While I've chosen my glass to make that possible, even the best lenses are often even sharper at f4 than f2.8.

All in good time, my pretties, all in good time ~rubs hands together, cackling~

Keep posting the reports, folks - we're keen to hear about it as the units hit the street!
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    18 hours in winter... eek7.gif How did the battery hold up?

I went through 4 batteries. 1400 stills. 40 HDR's. Around 2.5hrs of video. Lot's of LiveView usage.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2012
    I went through 4 batteries. 1400 stills. 40 HDR's. Around 2.5hrs of video. Lot's of LiveView usage.

Thanks! So, about the same, I guess.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Perhaps for some kinds of shooting, but I know that there's a "look" to FF shallow DOF portraiture I just can't quite emulate on a crop camera no matter how much I try (and believe me, I do try :); definitely a specific style, but one to which I aspire.... Also, it means I don't have to use my lenses wide open all the time. While I've chosen my glass to make that possible, even the best lenses are often even sharper at f4 than f2.8.

All in good time, my pretties, all in good time ~rubs hands together, cackling~

Keep posting the reports, folks - we're keen to hear about it as the units hit the street!

An f/1.2, f/1.4, or f/2.8 lens usually gets the job done quite well on a crop-sensor. You just gotta maximize your subject / background distance situations, every opportunity you get...

554780729_tqTGi-O.jpg
    (85mm, f/1.4 on D300)

773773824_MtrMR-O.jpg
    (50-150 2.8 @ 105mm f/2.8 on D300)

So in my opinion, while I do enjoy the much more GENEROUS abilities of full-frame when it comes to achieving shallow depth, especially at 50mm and wider, ...I do not consider it to be a main reason for me to buy it. In fact, I'd consider ISO and image quality to be the ONLY reasons; I'd MUCH MUCH MUCH rather have that amazing focus point spread that the D300 / D7000 has; focus points practically blanket the viewfinder on those cameras. Love it. I still shoot with my D300 even though I now have a D700...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum