DSS Challenge #100- Photography 100 yrs ago

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited April 16, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Welcome to Round #100 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member.

It will run from Monday, April 2, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, April 16, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Photography 100 years ago

In this challenge you will need to take an image that is black and white or sepia toned and then make it look distressed as if it were taken 100 years ago.

If you look up photography of that era (1912), brownie cameras were the rage for the average photographer. Printed on paper or thick card stock, images were still black and white (or sepia for newsprint) because color was too complicated and expensive to process at that time.

Also during that time, a lot of portraits and pictures of buildings and automobiles were taken. I do not expect you to go buy props and such to make the items in your picture look from
that era (although if you find things to shoot like that, go for it!). The main focus should be processing the image to look old. Its totally up to your interpretation! Just be sure your interpretation is of a photo that would have been shot 100 years ago. 1912.

Here is a link to get you started on what was available 100 years ago (plus other years).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_photography_technology

NO EDITING RESTRICTIONS.

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload
instructions at the top of the page:

DSS #100 Entry Gallery

Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, and be sure your username - title is correct, then no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.:deal <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- sig -->

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    Looks like a real interesting challenge. Meanwhile I don't see the usual link to the Gallery posted here. headscratch.gif

OOO! I found it. But I only see the underline, because the Font is White and unseeable in the Dgrin 2.0 White skin I use. :D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    OMG! I love this theme!!! clap.gifclapclap.gif

A while back we had a challenge were we had to recreate an old photographic technique. When shooting for that challenge I had learned how to turn my dslr into a pinhole camera and I had a lot of fun with that. This technique might come in useful for this challenge too, if anyone would like to give it a go. Here's a link on how to convert your dslr into a pinhole camera: http://neilvn.com/tangents/2010/04/25/digital-pinhole-photography/
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 3, 2012
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Looks like a real interesting challenge. Meanwhile I don't see the usual link to the Gallery posted here. headscratch.gif

OOO! I found it. But I only see the underline, because the Font is White and unseeable in the Dgrin 2.0 White skin I use. :D

Don

Thanks for pointing that out. All fixed now.
    richtersl wrote: »
    OMG! I love this theme!!! clap.gifclapclap.gif

A while back we had a challenge were we had to recreate an old photographic technique. When shooting for that challenge I had learned how to turn my dslr into a pinhole camera and I had a lot of fun with that. This technique might come in useful for this challenge too, if anyone would like to give it a go. Here's a link on how to convert your dslr into a pinhole camera: http://neilvn.com/tangents/2010/04/25/digital-pinhole-photography/

Just keep in mind the challenge theme. The image needs to be representitive of a technique used in 1912. Pin holes were created years before that era.
    edited April 3, 2012
    Thanks, Joyce. I thought pinholes were still being used in the early 20th century. headscratch.gif Oh well!
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    Pinholes are still being used today, so I'm sure they were still being used in 1912.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited April 3, 2012
    Wait. 1912? That's when Hipstamatic came out, right?
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited April 3, 2012
    Whatever type of photography camera/process that would have been done in 1912. I gave a starting point link for some reference in the top thread. I think that everyone will become photography history buffs by the time this is over!
  • Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    Our newspaper prints these "flashback" style photos on a regular basis. I love 'em.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    Great theme, already have my ideas.

Side note to JAG, the entry gallery does not have the usual instructions for uploading, may be of help to some new participants.

Troy
    edited April 3, 2012
    Great theme, already have my ideas.

Side note to JAG, the entry gallery does not have the usual instructions for uploading, may be of help to some new participants.

Troy

Thanks for reminding me Troy. I am sitting on a plane right now and won't be able to get to fix it for a few hours.
  • JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    I think I can do this challenge! :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
    edited April 3, 2012
    ok sitting here on a layover in Seattle. I have fixed the gallery to have the instuctions. Thank you Troy for bringing it to my attention! Anything else you guys see that is off, please just let me know! Traveling distracts me a little.
  • rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2012
    JAG wrote: »
    richtersl wrote:
    A while back we had a challenge were we had to recreate an old photographic technique. When shooting for that challenge I had learned how to turn my dslr into a pinhole camera and I had a lot of fun with that. This technique might come in useful for this challenge too, if anyone would like to give it a go. Here's a link on how to convert your dslr into a pinhole camera: http://neilvn.com/tangents/2010/04/2...e-photography/

Just keep in mind the challenge theme. The image needs to be representitive of a technique used in 1912. Pin holes were created years before that era.

I'm confused, doesn't being created before 1912 make them valid? Things created after 1912 would be out of the question...
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
    edited April 4, 2012
    rsquared wrote: »
    I'm confused, doesn't being created before 1912 make them valid? Things created after 1912 would be out of the question...

Photography 100 years ago did not use pin hole technology. That would be closer to 200 years ago. Look at the reference link I gave to start, then do a little of your own research to find out what was done in 1912.
    edited April 4, 2012
    Here's something that will blow your mind about 100 years ago:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/08/russia_in_color_a_century_ago.html
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited April 4, 2012
    ghinson wrote: »

The color, clarity, etc., are mind-blowing. It's hard to wrap your head around the fact that they were taken before 1917.
  • sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    Wow! Those Russian images are a treasure....that's a link I'll send on for sure. Amazing.

For kicks, here's another look at 1912: http://www.shorpy.com/search/node/1912
    (Beware, if you're at all interested in historical photography, it's nearly impossible to visit Shorpy and not get seriously distracted to the point that hours of time mysteriously go "poof.")
  • GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2012

Thanks for this incredible and intersting visual history. The images are amazing! GP
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2012
    1912... that was before people started smiling for pictures, right? :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
    edited April 6, 2012
    :D I think that "Deer in the Headlights look" will do great for this theme.....

15524779-Ti.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 2,116 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    I'm a newbie and not only am I not sure exactly what the challenge is, I'm not sure how to post something.

My understanding of the challenge is

We have to take a digital photo sometime during the first two weeks of April and make it distressed as if it were an old photo.

Just taking a photo of an old photo isn't what we are to do. So I don't understand the bit about pinhole cameras. What does that have to do with the challenge?

I do have photos that I took 62 years ago with an old Kodak, and I have photos that my mother took or that were taken of her or that were taken of relatives back in the 1890s plus or minus. This one was taken in Germany before 1870 of my great great grandfather.

7000017_116188083725.jpg

But most of them are in pretty good shape, and that's not what we are doing, right?

So assuming I have the concept, I took a photo that I had taken on April 3rd and distressed it to look old. But I can't log into SmugMug no matter which way I try to do it. Facebook says it isn't available and to try another ap. And I don't seem to get anywhere by doing it any other way. Up until now I have not had a SmugMug account.

Also, the photos that I see posted don't look the way I was expected them to look. So maybe I don't have the right idea.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
    edited April 7, 2012
    Somehow every time I log out, I get automatically logged back in via Facebook. And I don't see how to upload anything from there.
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    grandmaR wrote: »
    Somehow every time I log out, I get automatically logged back in via Facebook. And I don't see how to upload anything from there.
    Go into Facebook and disable the application or the link there. Then when Smugmug asks you if you want to log in via Facebook, say No! I posted a thread in the Bug Reporting section (in August 2011) about that but it never got answered :(http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=204185&highlight=facebook+challenge
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012

I've seen this site too - really nice!!! nod.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited April 8, 2012
    lkbart wrote: »
    Go into Facebook and disable the application or the link there. Then when Smugmug asks you if you want to log in via Facebook, say No! I posted a thread in the Bug Reporting section (in August 2011) about that but it never got answered :(http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=204185&highlight=facebook+challenge

Every time I try to go to SmugMug on Facebook, it tells me that there is an empty response and to try another application. So I can't get to SmugMug to remove it or tell it not to automatically log in. I signed in for a two week free trial and I can't even get to a place to tell SmugMug that I want OUT.
    edited April 8, 2012
    Every time I try to go to SmugMug on Facebook, it tells me that there is an empty response and to try another application. So I can't get to SmugMug to remove it or tell it not to automatically log in. I signed in for a two week free trial and I can't even get to a place to tell SmugMug that I want OUT.

Have you tried logging out of Facebook and then logging back in again to see if that affects the setting?
    edited April 8, 2012
    richtersl wrote: »
    Have you tried logging out of Facebook and then logging back in again to see if that affects the setting?

It doesn't work - I had the same problem and had to send an e-mail to the help-desk for assistance. They de-buged me.
    Travelways.com
    edited April 8, 2012
    Hey, have you seen this?

Henri Cartier-Bresson 1912 photos
    Travelways.com
    edited April 8, 2012

I finally got Facebook to let me delete SmugMug as an app. I have logged in with challenge. But I still can't see how to click on the album and add a photo to it.

Guess it is a user problem. I was using challenge instead of challenges. But now I can't see the photo I uploaded. I guess it will appear eventually or else I did it wrong - again. :(

OK - now I see that when I edited the photo it took all the stuff off of it - time taken etc. And I can't figure out how to delete that photo, so I went back to the original and unedited it, recropped and resubmitted it so that you can see that I took it April 3 and all that stuff. I hope that's OK because I can't figure out how to fix it. I'm exhausted from just submitting it. ;)
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    I finally got Facebook to let me delete SmugMug as an app. I have logged in with challenge. But I still can't see how to click on the album and add a photo to it.

Guess it is a user problem. I was using challenge instead of challenges. But now I can't see the photo I uploaded. I guess it will appear eventually or else I did it wrong - again. :(

It's there... but there is no exif information for the photo, did you scan this? In order to not be DQ'd you need to have taken the photo with a digital camera during the last week, then you edit and post... your camera information should be embedded in the photo. Anything that doesn't have that information will be DQ'd. Scanned images cannot be used.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com