DSS Challenge #100- Photography 100 yrs ago

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 8, 2012
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    It's there... but there is no exif information for the photo, did you scan this? In order to not be DQ'd you need to have taken the photo with a digital camera during the last week, then you edit and post... your camera information should be embedded in the photo. Anything that doesn't have that information will be DQ'd. Scanned images cannot be used.
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 2,116 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    It's there... but there is no exif information for the photo, did you scan this? In order to not be DQ'd you need to have taken the photo with a digital camera during the last week, then you edit and post... your camera information should be embedded in the photo. Anything that doesn't have that information will be DQ'd. Scanned images cannot be used.

No I did NOT scan it. I took the photo on April 3rd 2012 with a Kodak EOS Rebel camera. The problem is that the program I use for editing is VERY OLD and does not keep the exif information. The second photo which was not edited with that program - just cropped and sepiaized a bit - has the information on it. Identical photo, except not edited as much.

I wanted to edit out the name of the people on the top of the grave marker, and distress the edges, but I am so used to using the old old old program (Image Expert from my first digital camera that I got in 2000) that I don't know how to do it any other way.

Oh well. I tried. If you guys want to disqualify me for using and old program - so be it.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
    edited April 8, 2012
    grandmaR wrote: »
    No I did NOT scan it. I took the photo on April 3rd 2012 with a Kodak EOS Rebel camera. The problem is that the program I use for editing is VERY OLD and does not keep the exif information. The second photo which was not edited with that program - just cropped and sepiaized a bit - has the information on it. Identical photo, except not edited as much.

I wanted to edit out the name of the people on the top of the grave marker, and distress the edges, but I am so used to using the old old old program (Image Expert from my first digital camera that I got in 2000) that I don't know how to do it any other way.

Oh well. I tried. If you guys want to disqualify me for using and old program - so be it.

Ok, here is what happened. Earlier today I came in and read you were having problems and had uploaded. I went to the gallery and looked and saw two entries. Since your only able to enter 1 image, I deleted the first image (that didn't have exif) thinking you decided to enter the second one which has the exif.

Now I come back here a few hours later and see this post and didn't realize the first image is the one you actually wanted. What you can do is re enter the first image to the challenge gallery and then load the second image (with the exif) to your smugmug account gallery. After you get it in your own gallery click on the exif info an copy the url up at the top of the window. Then in the challenge gallery you can add that url under your name - title. This will give us proof of your exif.

Sorry I took out the wrong one dear. Please let me know if you get stuck. I will remove the one with the exif after you have re entered the one you want to enter.
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 2,116 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    JAG wrote: »
    Ok, here is what happened. Earlier today I came in and read you were having problems and had uploaded. I went to the gallery and looked and saw two entries. Since your only able to enter 1 image, I deleted the first image (that didn't have exif) thinking you decided to enter the second one which has the exif.

Now I come back here a few hours later and see this post and didn't realize the first image is the one you actually wanted. What you can do is re enter the first image to the challenge gallery and then load the second image (with the exif) to your smugmug account gallery. After you get it in your own gallery click on the exif info an copy the url up at the top of the window. Then in the challenge gallery you can add that url under your name - title. This will give us proof of your exif.

Sorry I took out the wrong one dear. Please let me know if you get stuck. I will remove the one with the exif after you have re entered the one you want to enter.

NO that's fine - just leave it as it is. I DID decide to enter the second one because I couldn't figure out how to do the first one. I was trying to delete the one without the exif attached to the file - I hadn't realize that editing it would take the exif out and I knew that was a no-no. There was just some minimal edge mushing and I took the name off the tombstone on the first one. (It was actually the second photo - I did a whole nother one with a fold across the middle of it and then decided I didn't like it).

Actually I was kind of pleased that someone thought I scanned an image when I just picked one of the gravestone etchings that had the least writing on it from the ones I took on April 3rd and filmized it.

(I don't have a Smugmug gallery yet - not that far advanced and really don't want to pay for one).

Thank you very much for all your help everyone. It was only an accident that I had any photos in the time frame that would fit. I don't get out that much anymore, but someone had some question about her relatives grave markers so I went to see if I could answer the questions.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,209 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    GrandmaR...don't give up! I used to use Image Expert (it is now called Corel Photo Album). It will save your EXIF data when you edit as long as you don't 'save for web'. I don't have Image Expert any more so I can't remember exactly what the save options are, but I am sure you can browse the 'help' for it and it will give you some clues. There is a way to do it. :)

Also, you don't have to have a Smugmug account to use to upload the unedited original. You can use any free hosting site such as Photobucket or Flickr. You can easily link from either of those places. I am sure there are also others.

Good luck.

Sherry
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    Joyce, could I get your input as to whether this border is within the rules. I think it would be, but can easily do without it also. Thanks!
    http://donna-niemann.smugmug.com/Contests/Dgrin-Challenges/DSS-100-Photography-100-yrs/i-TrfbLfq/0/L/Travelers-3-L.jpg
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    Same question for Joyce please:

i-nF6mXPx-S.jpg
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    For those who enjoy vintage photos - here's a link to a gallery of photos taken in my home town, Saint John, NB - Canada's oldest incorporated city.

I now live 40 miles outside the city, but if I get a chance to get downtown in the next few days, I'd love to try and capture, edit and enter the Old City Market - an intriguing building for sure and still in use today for its original purpose - a farmer's market in the midst of the city.

But even if I don't get to enter, I hope you'll enjoy a visual tour.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited April 9, 2012
    dnie wrote: »
    Joyce, could I get your input as to whether this border is within the rules. I think it would be, but can easily do without it also. Thanks!
    http://donna-niemann.smugmug.com/Contests/Dgrin-Challenges/DSS-100-Photography-100-yrs/i-TrfbLfq/0/L/Travelers-3-L.jpg

Yes that is fine.
    edited April 9, 2012
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    For those who enjoy vintage photos - here's a link to a gallery of photos taken in my home town, Saint John, NB - Canada's oldest incorporated city.

I now live 40 miles outside the city, but if I get a chance to get downtown in the next few days, I'd love to try and capture, edit and enter the Old City Market - an intriguing building for sure and still in use today for its original purpose - a farmer's market in the midst of the city.

But even if I don't get to enter, I hope you'll enjoy a visual tour.

Oh, you are living in Saint John, NB - we visited it and I know there are a lot of wonderful old buildings there!
    Travelways.com
    edited April 9, 2012
    Yes that is fine.

Then, mine would be fine too? - I guess so... ne_nau.gif
    Travelways.com
    edited April 9, 2012
    I am not sure when the rule had changed, I think it was when I was in the Mediterranean for a month. However, pretty much all single color boarder is fine. We just do not want any "frame" style or multi colors. This challenge we will see lots of borders but for other challenges, you need to decide if a border takes away from your image or not.
    edited April 9, 2012
    Then, mine would be fine too? - I guess so... ne_nau.gif

According to the rule, its fine.
    edited April 9, 2012
    According to the rule, its fine.

Thank you Joyce :)

This is what I thought - YEAY!!!!! :ivar
    Travelways.com
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    Yes that is fine.

Thanks for the confirmation. I was pretty sure I was okay. :D
    edited April 10, 2012
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but....

I call myself reading through the rules carefully (twice). It is my understanding that any images or layers used must be fresh & taken by the photographer submitting that entry. Since this challenge is to create that vintage look & there are many, many plug-ins & stuff to achieve that, are those plug-ins allowed? I would have thought NOT since that layer is not my own & probably not fresh. But...everytime I've tried to search on how to create that vintage look all I get is plug-ins (such as a "here, use this" type of thing...). Am I being stubborn by NOT wanting to use a plug-in or is it OK just to break down & use some pre-fabbed action?

I really wanted to create my own vintage/distressed look but don't really know how. The only totally from scratch tutorial I found was how to do it with a wacom tablet, and I don't have one of those. I'm usually pretty good at finding stuff through a search, but I haven't hit the jackpot with this one yet. Anybody know a good tutorial they don't mind sharing with me?

I actually think I have a great picture for this challenge, but just giving it a little grain & sepia doesn't quite do it. It needs scratches & stuff and I don't know how to do that.

Thanks,
    Sherry
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2012
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited April 10, 2012
    Thank you Greg. I had actually found those & checked them out. Of the effects I wanted for my shot, they either used the wacom tablet or plug-ins. So, if plug-in layers are allowed, then I found what I want. Otherwise, I still have to figure out how to create it myself.

I asked a local photographer friend who specializes in vintage-look images for advice & she uses plug-in textures & filters too. She shared a couple with me, but it just doesn't seem like I should be using those. ne_nau.gif

Thanks,
    Sherry
    edited April 10, 2012
    Given that plugins and actions are just automated functions within PS, such as adding noise, desaturating, etc., I cannot imagine that filters are not allowed. If that were the case, then I would need to be disqualified in almost every challenge I have entered. Afterall, using curves and levels and brightness, etc., is really just the same thing.

I suppose that if the filter applies media, e.g., textures, to the photograph, then that would be different.

IMHO.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited April 10, 2012
    Though, looking through the entry gallery, there seem to be several that use textures or antique frames, which were probably not taken by the photographer (or at least they do not have multiple exifs). So you raise an excellent question...
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited April 10, 2012
    I hope I didn't open a can of worms. I'm playing with my image now following one of the tutorials, but all the instructions have to use some sort of add-in texture that you download. If the purpose of the challenges is to learn something, then this one succeeds because I'm doing all kinds of stuff in photoshop that I've never done before. I'm not sure I'm happy with my results yet, but I'm still 'plugging' away..... :D

Thanks for your responses, Greg. I appreciate your time.

Sherry
    edited April 10, 2012
    Using online tutorials is basically how I have learned to use PS. Think of something you want to do, search for the tutorial, follow it, learn. Rinse. Repeat. There is so much info out there!
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited April 10, 2012
    Hi Sherry,

Here is a good tutorial on creating old images (you will finally have to convert the image to B&W or sepia, cause the example is for a color image).
    They also use a texture of a paper image - which I did too, so you don't have to go with plugins and textures that are not yours or current:

http://www.icanbecreative.com/how-to-make-a-vintage-retro-picture-tutorial.html

I hope it helps :)
    Travelways.com
    edited April 11, 2012
    Here is how I see it. Using standard plug ins in an editing program such as noise, grain and borders are perfectly acceptable. But going to a site and downloading an image 'plug in texture' might be going outside of the scope of it all being your creation. Its simple to make textures with or without tablets. Taking a picture of a texture and laying it over an image with on a faded layer, you should have an exif to and add it to the gallery. As for the distressed look with scratches and such is easy by using the eraser tool to that textured layer and most editing programs have brushes already loaded that are distressed brushes. Basically in learning to play with these tools will help broaden your skills!

So, in short, using textures that are already in your editing program will be ok this round. But if you really want to challenge yourself, then I recommend learning to make your own textures and post the exif. Which is the point of these challenges!
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    rsquared wrote: »
    I'm confused, doesn't being created before 1912 make them valid? Things created after 1912 would be out of the question...

You're not confused. Anytime you express you want something from an era, it ought to include items that were not only of the era but also from earlier era's.

Because just as today, artists tend use whatever they have that inspires. Oftentimes it involves techniques from earlier era's. So yes, one would think pinholes would apply. Along with other app's. Since Digital wasn't invented at that juncture one would think some leeway would be in order. Though I understand all submission must be from digital cameras and cannot include scans and so forth.
    tom wise
    edited April 12, 2012
    The main post says its up to your interpretation on what is in the photo as long as you make it look like something that could have been taken 100 years ago. If you do research of the era, yes it might include some older technology but if you look at the link that I put in the original post. Not a lot had changed for years after the invention of the paper process and box type cameras. They had ditched all the tintypes before the turn of the century.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    The key phrase is "up to your interpretation". If you want to enter a modern day photo that you've processed to make it look like a 1912 photo, then go right ahead. If you want to enter a photo of something that was around in 1912 and make it look like you took it in 1912, then that's OK too. Using pre-1912 subject matter is fine too. I've also seen staged shots from around 1912 of folks dressed in 18th / 19th century attire.

I think some of you are overthinking this challenge. Just go out, shoot, and have fun. deal.gif
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    ghinson wrote: »
    Here's something that will blow your mind about 100 years ago:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/08/russia_in_color_a_century_ago.html

Well, this was really interesting.. I particularly liked #19. Who had trouble getting subjects to be that patient for a group photo like that anymore?
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited April 12, 2012
    Another interesting take on 100 years ago, from the same site, recently published for the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2012/04/the_titanic_at_100_years.html
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2012
    There are some good entries this round.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D