DSS Challenge #100- Photography 100 yrs ago

13»

Comments

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,209 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2012
    Well, I still was not able to find a tutorial for adding scratches/texture without downloading a texture or buying a software package full of textures. I finally did find a tutorial for creating something close to what I wanted (still didn't get exactly what I wanted), so that's what I ended up doing. My photoshop does have 6 texture options, but nothing close to what I wanted. I don't have any plug-ins. I guess the plug-ins are those textures that you download?

Anyway, I don't have any more time to spend on this, but I'd still like to find instructions for creating that 'distressed' look with scratches/etc without downloading something already done.

Sherry
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2012
    slpollett wrote: »
    Well, I still was not able to find a tutorial for adding scratches/texture without downloading a texture or buying a software package full of textures. I finally did find a tutorial for creating something close to what I wanted (still didn't get exactly what I wanted), so that's what I ended up doing. My photoshop does have 6 texture options, but nothing close to what I wanted. I don't have any plug-ins. I guess the plug-ins are those textures that you download?

Anyway, I don't have any more time to spend on this, but I'd still like to find instructions for creating that 'distressed' look with scratches/etc without downloading something already done.

Sherry

I'll try to give you step by step...

Open Image
    Duplicate layer
    Create New Layer
    On New Layer select fill and choose 50% Grey and fill that new layer.
    Using a fine brush set to two or three pixles select a white color and draw scratches on this layer anywhere you would like. Then select overlay on this new layer and merge images.

That should give you the scratches you want. You can use the same steps to add a grain texture, but don't forget to desaturate the layer after you apply the grain or you'll get some funky colors.

Hope this helps.
    edited April 15, 2012
    Thank you, Bryce. I will give that a whirl as soon as I have a chance.

Sherry
  • SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    In the interests of disclosure, and particularly because I don't ever want to be accused of doing the wrong thing, I mostly used the plug-ins/actions/add-ons that I use all the time. I tweaked them, as I do with everything, until I achieved the effect I wanted to achieve. 'I' don't think that's unacceptable, because (as someone mentioned) we're using these tools for almost all the other Challenges. I hope my efforts won't be judged negatively because I've used my normal workflow tools that I know well, but I wanted to be clear about it.
    John
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    Thanks, Joyce, for a fun challenge! Life has really been hitting me hard for at least 6 weeks and I have not had much time to get out and shoot, let alone post comments for folks. Just so you all know, great work! clap.gif
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 16, 2012
    Sventekoz wrote: »
    In the interests of disclosure, and particularly because I don't ever want to be accused of doing the wrong thing, I mostly used the plug-ins/actions/add-ons that I use all the time. I tweaked them, as I do with everything, until I achieved the effect I wanted to achieve. 'I' don't think that's unacceptable, because (as someone mentioned) we're using these tools for almost all the other Challenges. I hope my efforts won't be judged negatively because I've used my normal workflow tools that I know well, but I wanted to be clear about it.

As I mentioned somewhere on this thread, as long as its already in your editing program as a preset tool or mask, that is fine. If its a texture that is added from another image, that is imported from another source, then that would be pushing it in any challenge unless you have created it just for this challenge and have the exif to prove it.

This round I left if up to you all to decide how you wanted to handle it for your image. I would expect honesty from all contestants on their sources. I think those who want to learn how to make their own texture layers this round are going to do a fantastic job at expanding their knowlege!thumb.gif
    edited April 16, 2012
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    Thanks, Joyce, for a fun challenge! Life has really been hitting me hard for at least 6 weeks and I have not had much time to get out and shoot, let alone post comments for folks. Just so you all know, great work! clap.gif

Hope things settle down for you soon so you can enjoy life a little more!
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    JAG wrote: »
    Hope things settle down for you soon so you can enjoy life a little more!

Thanks, Joyce! Thank goodness I have my photography therapy. :D
    edited April 16, 2012
    Well, I tried what Bryce said and boy, do I wish I had more time to play! That is closer to what I've wanted to do...now just need time to perfect it and I don't have that right now. I'm off to my daughter's school to see her receive her academic award for this year.

Sherry
    edited April 16, 2012
    Closed! Poll will be up shortly.
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
    edited April 16, 2012
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    Life has really been hitting me hard for at least 6 weeks and I have not had much time to get out and shoot, let alone post comments for folks. Just so you all know, great work! clap.gif
    I empathize with you and in fact, could have written this post myself. Hope things are going better for you now!

Ditto your comment about the great work. It was fun to browse through the gallery today!

Gretchen