Options

Decisions, decisions - please push me one way or another

Comments

• Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    Why would they drop the price on a camera that no one can keep in stock and one that is a top performer? I think the III is what the D800 should have been. It was aimed squarely at the D700. There will not be a significant drop in price for a long time. Maybe rebates, with high end lens purchases but that is it. Don't hold your breath. If you want it get it.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    Congrats Dan. Mine arrives tomorrow by Fedex. Kirk bracket should get here at the same time. Already have the 32 gig CF card waiting to take those first images...
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    Congrats to you too! I've got 2 32G CF's but my RRS L Bracket is still on backorder, but I have some ordinary brackets I can use in the interim.
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Congrats Dan. Mine arrives tomorrow by Fedex. Kirk bracket should get here at the same time. Already have the 32 gig CF card waiting to take those first images...
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2012
    Just picked up my 5D3clap.gif at a local camera shop. No it didn't just happen to be there I was on the waiting list.:D

It has the latest firmware and the light leak fix. My goodness there are a lot of menus in iteek7.gif Guess I'll actually have to read the manuals!

Coming from 7d crop it seems to focus much faster and in much lower light. And the view finder is brighter. Took just a few snaps to make sure at least on of the buttons on was working. Nothing special but at first glance the colors do seem better, but I'm not so sure my eye is critical enough to make the kind of evaluation.

So far so good though.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited May 10, 2012
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    Just picked up my 5D3clap.gif at a local camera shop. ...

Congratulations on the new camera. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2012
    Thanks Ziggy
    ziggy53 wrote: »
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2012
    Just signed for mine clap.gif
    Also got the Kirk bracket today
    But, there's a dilemma... I jumped on an incredible deal for the 5d iii kit + cf card + 580ex II flash (total cost less than kit alone). Problem is Beach keeps changing the ship date. If they ship it'll be worth the wait as that is a $500 discount over the kit price with included items. If it doesn't ship or is old batch I'll be pissed. Have 14 days to return item to original store if need be...
    What to do, what to do....
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    Would it help you if I told you that I sold both my 5D2 and 7D and got two 5D3 bodies instead? mwink.gif
    I'm also officially out of any EF-S and non-L glass... rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2012
    Nope, no help at all - I don't want/need two of these bodies ne_nau.gif

I got off the phone just now with Beach camera and an incredibly helpful rep who is in charge of this deal. Looks like my kit will ship out on May 15th. Deal was really too amazing to pass up and I have her personal assurance that all items below are coming:

Canon 5D mk III with EF 24-105/4 L IS lens - USA warranty, new batch (serial ends in 3)
    Canon 580 EX II - USA warrranty
    Sandisk 32 gig Extreme SD card

Total: $4229 including shipping eek7.gifclapwings.gifivardeal.gif

Planning on staring at my 5D in a big cardboard box until next Tuesday and then shipping it back to Cardinal Camera in PA.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012

I got off the phone just now with Beach camera and an incredibly helpful rep who is in charge of this deal. Looks like my kit will ship out on May 15th. Deal was really too amazing to pass up and I have her personal assurance that all items below are coming:

Canon 5D mk III with EF 24-105/4 L IS lens - USA warranty, new batch (serial ends in 3)

Planning on staring at my 5D in a big cardboard box until next Tuesday and then shipping it back to Cardinal Camera in PA.

Cool, congrats! clap.gif You gonna love it! deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Cool, congrats! clap.gif You gonna love it! deal.gif

+1 clap.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2012
    So you are not going to sell it on eBay for $3900 rolleyes1.gif

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012

Holy crap, you win! Amazon is selling just the body and lens for $4299!

Seriously though - with that windfall, you should sell the 580 and get a 600.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2012
    I may sell the 580 and get an 85...who needs flash when you can shoot f/1.8 @ iso 100,000? In all seriousness I'm a moron with flash photography so the power and customization of the 580 is wasted in my hands.

Just need to wait patiently now and go through the hopefully minor hassle of returning the other package to PA.
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    I may sell the 580 and get an 85...who needs flash when you can shoot f/1.8 @ iso 100,000?
    because the lighting quality (as in colors, etc.) sucks and you don't want to spend tons in time in post trying to get the color balance right.

I've had that happened in places with a multitude of light sources, and not all of them look good. (Picture a church altar with a green tinge from the "energy efficient" lighting...yech!)
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2012
    I may sell the 580 and get an 85...who needs flash when you can shoot f/1.8 @ iso 100,000? In all seriousness I'm a moron with flash photography so the power and customization of the 580 is wasted in my hands.

With a basically free 600, you'd be halfway to a Strobist's dream setup!

smashing_pumpkins.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2012
    That's a nice shot. Almost making me rethink things. 85 first. Will consider 600 later.
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012

smashing_pumpkins.jpg

Looks like a Syl Arena book cover ;)

Also, cool shoes.
  • Options
    hectorjrhectorjr Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 12, 2012
    Already in mid-May and still no 5D3's in sight anywhere in Europe. I hope you guys in the US are luckier. The 5D3 seems to be in overflow in Asia, but buying one there means I miss out on the extended warranties Canon has to offer in my country.

I'm getting impatient and the deadline I gave myself as to how long I am willing to wait is almost expiring. My camera store has one 1D4 left in stock (they had 20 but it was snapped up by a bunch of impatient and frustrated folks who got tired of waiting for the 1DX). The 1D4 is costs just a few hundred dollars more than the 5D3 and I'm seriously considering getting it.

KDOG is right when he said that it's ok to wait. But if you wait long enough that you start to lose jobs then it's really not worth it in the long run! An older model camera is better than a new camera which is never available!
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2012
    Just got a notice that my RRS l braket arrives Monday:D
    Also got the Kirk bracket today
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2012
    The final part arrived today, the RRS 5D3 L-Bracket. It's a perfect fit.

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2012

Please post again after receiving your package.

The price seems way too good!!

Sam
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2012
    Just shipped. Will post full details tomorrow.
  • Options
    pmaxwellpmaxwell Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    Looks like a Syl Arena book cover ;)

Also, cool shoes.

smashing_pumpkins.jpg

I love this type of shot, it is on my todo list for this year to learn how to get this type of shot
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012

smashing_pumpkins.jpg

nice!
    how many pumpkins did he have to smash for that shot?
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2012
    pmaxwell wrote: »
    I love this type of shot, it is on my todo list for this year to learn how to get this type of shot

It was pretty easy actually. I used two Canon Speedlights directly opposite each other, with him in the middle. I triggered them with my ST-E2, but I think you could also do it with sync cords. I set the camera manually to f/2.8, 1/200, ISO 400, and left the flashes on ETTL. Voila.
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    nice!
    how many pumpkins did he have to smash for that shot?

Hehe, one pumpkin, but you can see the previous attempts on the ground.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited May 15, 2012
    Camera has arrived wings.gif
    All contents as stated. All US warranty. New batch according to serial number.
    Loving the camera and 24-105 right now. The thing focuses too fast! Think I'll put the old 50/1.8 on and slow things down a bit til I get the hang of this beast.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2012
    Camera has arrived wings.gif
    All contents as stated. All US warranty. New batch according to serial number.
    Loving the camera and 24-105 right now. The thing focuses too fast! Think I'll put the old 50/1.8 on and slow things down a bit til I get the hang of this beast.

ziggy53
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited May 15, 2012
    Congrats, Eyal.

Mine is on day one of trials. The AF is a real beast, and I'm trying to learn all the AF solutions to 5 different lenses. One thing I have concluded is that on my long white lenses, I can just leave the autofocus switch on the near position, because it just doesn't matter due to the speedy camera AF. Its going to be weeks until I can nail down all these custom modes to my liking. Big learning curve.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2012
    The thing focuses too fast!

This is a problem?

Enjoy!
    -Jack