Options

Decisions, decisions - please push me one way or another

13»

Comments

• Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    Just getting the hang of this thing. The 50 helped slow things a bit. Damn thing still focused on my sleeping girl's face in a room lit only by a partly open door and a 60 W bulb in the hallway eek7.gif ... oh and I was using an outer focus point mwink.gif

I think I have most of the settings figured out and may head out in the AM for some landscapes if the rain clears.

Thanks for all of the help with this decision.

If anyone is in the market for one of these and wants to see if another deal comes around, go to slickdeals.net, create an account and then make a Deal Alert for 'Canon 5D' in Hot Deals with instant email. Have a feeling Beach camera may repeat this but I'll warn you that they sold 40 units in less than 30 minutes. So you have to act fast. Other option is to watch beach camera on ebay and setup alerts there for the 5D. In my case, I had both set up and the Slickdeals one popped up while the eBay one did not. Hope that helps someone else in the market.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    Wait I thought you were kidding... fast AF is seriously a problem for you? Why?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2012
    That wasn't the problem. It was that I no longer get the reassuring red flash at the af point when it locks in. Taking away that positive reinforcement left me wondering if the damn thing was even getting focus.

The 50 usually hunts so I could get that reassuring motor noise and the the soft beep to tell me things were working as they should. The 24-105 is lightning fast so it further confused me at first. Hoping firmware adds back that lit af point when it achieves focus. Or if I'm missing a custom setting please let me know.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    That wasn't the problem. It was that I no longer get the reassuring red flash at the af point when it locks in. Taking away that positive reinforcement left me wondering if the damn thing was even getting focus. ...Or if I'm missing a custom setting please let me know.

Page 5 of the AF menu. VF display illumination. In "Auto" it flashes red when the scene is dark, but not when the scene is bright. Set it to "On" if you always want the red flash.

Only thing about this is, your subject can see the red flash now. On a large aperture lens it can be quite noticeable. I can't remember if that was true on the 5D2, but I think not because my 9yo son asked me about it.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2012
    Thanks Jack. That's better. Wish the grid lines didn't flash red as well though...
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2012
    Just finished a shoot in the fog. Downloading first images off the card now.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Thanks Jack. That's better. Wish the grid lines didn't flash red as well though...

Well, if you have it disabled it doesn't. thumb.gif
    -Jack

• Options
    edited May 16, 2012
    Well, if you have it disabled it doesn't. thumb.gif

But then nothing comes out straight rolleyes1.gif (mwink.gif)