Options

Smugmug Login Issue [Merged Thread]

Comments

• Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    I've been logged in all weekend and am now logged out again. This all seems a bit random now headscratch.gif
  • Options
    rkw624rkw624 Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    rkw624 wrote: »
    I have this same issue as everyone else in this thread. Support tells me it's my 'old" slideshow code. Does anyone else have the old slideshow running on their home page? I also had this same issue back in Feb. of 2009. I was told then to clear cookies, blah,blah,blah. To make a long story short one day the log in issue just went away. Don't hold your breath for a fix.

I do not know what SmugMug has done to fix the issue but I have not had to log-in for three or four days now. FYI - Never deleted cookies, cleared my cache, never replaced my "old" slideshow code. I have not changed a thing. Does that info help? Thank you for the fix!
    Rich
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    I said I'd post back a few days ago & never got around to it. I'm still staying logged in with no troubles at all since I updated my JFriend HTML 5 Slideshow a day before the SmugMug Log-in bug fix went into effect. Hooray! I still had a beta version of the show, so it was high-time anyway. Anyone reading this who has JFriend's show & still hasn't upgraded to his latest version, you'll need to do so! Otherwise, your viewers with the new IE10 won't be able to view your show properly. I hadn't been reading the forum very thoroughly & wasn't aware of that before.

So I can't say whether the Smug fix for log-in would've worked in my case or not...maybe all I needed to do was update to the new slideshow. But at any rate, I'm glad the Smug fix didn't reverse the dramatic turn-around I had after updating! And I'm awfully thrilled it seems to have helped a lot of people. clap.gif
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    I'm also back to having to log in every time again. It worked fine for several days until today. headscratch.gif

Sherry
  • Options
    xlubenxluben Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    Well, now mine's broken again too.
  • Options
    bobpalbobpal Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2012
    It is working for me. Thanks to whoever fixed it.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2012
    To all that still have an issue, it would be really helpful if you could post as many details as possible.
    What specific browser version and operating system do you use? How do you log in, from www.smugmug.com, from your SmugMug nickname address or perhaps a custom domain?

What are your browser privacy, security, cookie etc. settings set to?

Do you have any browser toolbars, extensions or addons installed? If so which?

Does the issue also occur in a different browser, like Chrome or Firefox?

Can you repeat the issue with cleared browser cache and cookies (closing and reopening your browser after you did so)? If so, what do you do step by step after you cleared cache, cookies and closed/reopened the browser to have the issue occur?

The more details we have, the easier may it be for our QA team to see what might be the issue / to reproduce the issue.

Thanks!

And if you don't wish to post details here, send them to our HelpDesk.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited November 27, 2012
    I log in, only to be greeted the next session as being logged out. The only thing that has changed from the last occurrence of this issue for me is that the "Stay logged in" checkbox has the check in it this time. I always choose the Stay Logged In option.

EDIT: second time today it wasn't pre-checked

So it was fixed a few days ago, and is now broke again.

Safari. I have no plug-ins or blockers whatsoever. Standard toolbar, cookie(s) has not been cleared, history is removed once per day (but not cookies). Within one session, I can close the tab and stay logged in, but if I shut down, I have to log in again.

i-mjzbMZ6.png
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2012
    When this issue occurs I usually check it on three different PC's. Three browsers each (Chrome, Firefox, and IE). It will do the same thing on all of them.

When it is working (stays logged in), then I don't have an issue on any of them.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    I log in, only to be greeted the next session as being logged out. The only thing that has changed from the last occurrence of this issue for me is that the "Stay logged in" checkbox has the check in it this time. I always choose the Stay Logged In option.

EDIT: second time today it wasn't pre-checked

So it was fixed a few days ago, and is now broke again.

Safari. I have no plug-ins or blockers whatsoever. Standard toolbar, cookie(s) has not been cleared, history is removed once per day (but not cookies). Within one session, I can close the tab and stay logged in, but if I shut down, I have to log in again.

i-mjzbMZ6.png

What Mac OS are you running on and what Safari version do you use?

Can you check your Apple menu > software update to see if any updates are available for your Mac?

Does the issue also occur on a different browser, like Chrome or Firefox on your Mac?

How do you log in, from www.smugmug.com or your SmugMug site?

Do you have any security, ad blocking, antivirus or firewall software running? What icons do you have in the menu bar next to your clock?
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2012
    xluben wrote: »
    When this issue occurs I usually check it on three different PC's. Three browsers each (Chrome, Firefox, and IE). It will do the same thing on all of them.

When it is working (stays logged in), then I don't have an issue on any of them.
    It would be helpful if you could focus on one machine and provide us with specific details per my post from Tuesday.
    Thanks!
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2012
    It would be helpful if you could focus on one machine and provide us with specific details per my post from Tuesday.
    Thanks!
    Why would I waste my time focusing on one computer when it is obvious that the issue is not computer related, and is due to SmugMug itself? I'm already wasting enough time logging in over and over.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2012
    Why would I waste my time focusing on one computer when it is obvious that the issue is not computer related, and is due to SmugMug itself? I'm already wasting enough time logging in over and over.
    I'm not seeing any issue on my Windows 7 machine in multiple browsers. To be able to narrow / track this down further, it would be very helpful to have as many details as possible from the people that still see an issue.

If you just say that it doesn't work on your computers with different browsers, there's little for us to go on. Believe me, we'd like to completely nail this as much as anyone.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2012
    For Smugmug to fix a problem like this, they need to be able to know exactly what symptoms are occuring, reproduce the exact problem and know exactly which circumstances it occurs in for you.

Currently, the problem does not occur in most environments and, as rainforest has said, it does not occur in his test environment so he doesn't know how to make it happen. If he can't make it happen, then it's very hard for him to give useful information to the Smugmug engineers for them to know what to fix. So, he's asking for some help to figure out how to isolate what is different about your environment that makes it afflict you. While the problem may ultimately be caused by Smugmug's server infrastructure, in the world of browsers there is often something unique about a particular browser version or some combination of browser settings or browser plugins or the way you login that triggers the problem to occur only in certain environments or in certain cases.

The more information you can provide to rainforest about your experience and your environment, the more likely Smugmug can figure out why this problem is happening to you and get it fixed. You are under no obligation to spend any time on this if you really don't want to, but in cases where a problem does not occur at Smugmug, the fastest way to get it solved is for people that are experiencing the problem to cooperate and provide the information that Smugmug seeks.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2012
    For the first time tonight when I came home from work I was still logged in. For the first time in a long time today I didn't look at my website and log in when I was at work.

Up to now I am logged in all day on the weekend and overnight but when I come home from work I am logged out. I log in when I am at work because when I get to work everyday I am always logged out. Could logging in at work bump me off at home, and vice-versa or is that too simple?

At work - Win7 32 bit, Chrome and ie8, seriously heavy security settings and filters

At home - Win7 64bit, Chrome and ie9, no security whatsoever
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2012
    What Mac OS are you running on and what Safari version do you use?

Can you check your Apple menu > software update to see if any updates are available for your Mac?

Does the issue also occur on a different browser, like Chrome or Firefox on your Mac?

How do you log in, from www.smugmug.com or your SmugMug site?

Do you have any security, ad blocking, antivirus or firewall software running? What icons do you have in the menu bar next to your clock?

Safari 5.0.3

Yes. I know there are updates.

Icons in menu bar, in order:
    Bluetooth status, system volume, Time Machine (not configured), Airport status, system clock, Spotlight. (Basically -- stock)

Running no other browsers. I log in from my smugname (dot) smugmug (dot) com and not through www (dot) smugmug.

No security, no browser plug-ins, no ad blocking, no firewall. All other sites acting normal without having to log in to those. The problems are specifically only with my smug site. Today, it still has me logged out. Within one session, closing the browser and opening again, I remain logged in. If the system is shut down and restarted, I am logged out. I have always checked the "Keep me logged in" check box and have never before had problems.

No system or browser changes in a year. My SM site has almost always kept me logged in. Only in the last three weeks has this changed. As I said, nothing has changed on my end and other sites keep me logged in without any difficulty. Only my SM site is acting bizarre.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2012
    Hey David

(long time no talk! wave.gif)

Is there a reason you haven't updated either your OS or version of Safari? That, in particular, seems fairly old (>2yrs), though it is on our list of supported browsers.

I'll make sure QA sees these details.

Thanks!

Safari 5.0.3

Yes. I know there are updates.

Icons in menu bar, in order:
    Bluetooth status, system volume, Time Machine (not configured), Airport status, system clock, Spotlight. (Basically -- stock)

Running no other browsers. I log in from my smugname (dot) smugmug (dot) com and not through www (dot) smugmug.

No security, no browser plug-ins, no ad blocking, no firewall. All other sites acting normal without having to log in to those. The problems are specifically only with my smug site. Today, it still has me logged out. Within one session, closing the browser and opening again, I remain logged in. If the system is shut down and restarted, I am logged out. I have always checked the "Keep me logged in" check box and have never before had problems.

No system or browser changes in a year. My SM site has almost always kept me logged in. Only in the last three weeks has this changed. As I said, nothing has changed on my end and other sites keep me logged in without any difficulty. Only my SM site is acting bizarre.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2012
    Howdy, Ann!

Yes, my View Sonic monitor freaks out every time I update, and the graphics card and internal drivers can't locate it right after updates, so I can't even see a progress bar when an update starts to take. Its a real bummer. I've been talking with Apple Genius people for a while about that, and unless I buy/rent/use an old Cinema screen, they won't suggest a solution.

Oh, and in an odd turn, when I just restarted my Mac, and looked at my SM site, I was logged in again. ne_nau.gif
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2012
    LPC wrote: »
    For the first time tonight when I came home from work I was still logged in. For the first time in a long time today I didn't look at my website and log in when I was at work.

Up to now I am logged in all day on the weekend and overnight but when I come home from work I am logged out. I log in when I am at work because when I get to work everyday I am always logged out. Could logging in at work bump me off at home, and vice-versa or is that too simple?

At work - Win7 32 bit, Chrome and ie8, seriously heavy security settings and filters

At home - Win7 64bit, Chrome and ie9, no security whatsoever
    That's an interesting data point and I tried to replicate the issue using a separate account with Chrome on my Win7 desktop and Chrome on my MacBook. Going forward between the two systems, I remained logged in on both machines. I then tried it via a cellular connection on the Macbook to give it a different IP and it still worked fine.
    So I figured maybe time plays a factor in it, but after 5+ hours of not using Chrome on either system, I'm still logged in on both. And I made sure to open the browser on the other system that I did not last use before suspending my tests earlier.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2012
    That's an interesting data point and I tried to replicate the issue using a separate account with Chrome on my Win7 desktop and Chrome on my MacBook. Going forward between the two systems, I remained logged in on both machines. I then tried it via a cellular connection on the Macbook to give it a different IP and it still worked fine.
    So I figured maybe time plays a factor in it, but after 5+ hours of not using Chrome on either system, I'm still logged in on both. And I made sure to open the browser on the other system that I did not last use before suspending my tests earlier.

Well I purposely didn't look at my website at work today (I did some work instead :D) just to test this out and lo and behold I am logged out again at home so there was nothing in it after all.
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2012
    FWIW, I've now been logged in constantly for over a week, despite me wiping the cache several times a day using a third-party wiper and me having Firefox clear the history and cache (but not cookies or active logins) whenever I close it. XP SP3, FF 17.0
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2012
    Stayed logged in a second time now after shutting down the 'puter. So something is working again. No changes in settings on my side. Watching it closely.

Added:
    Another thing I can report is that when the login was fully b0rked, and after I logged in, I didn't have to go through the login process to get into my account settings, which shouldn't have been the case. But now that I continue to remain logged in, I now do have to give login info to access my account settings, which should be the norm since you guys added that step for security reasons a few moths ago. For now, at least, I have my Smugmug back the way it was.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2012
    beardedgit wrote: »
    FWIW, I've now been logged in constantly for over a week, despite me wiping the cache several times a day using a third-party wiper and me having Firefox clear the history and cache (but not cookies or active logins) whenever I close it. XP SP3, FF 17.0
    Give it a try without your wiper tool as there's a chance it might be wiping more than it should. At the same time also don't clear anything in Firefox either.

And just to clarify, when you say that you've "now been logged in constantly", do you mean going to your homepage you were shown it as a logged out visitor or were still logged in and only asked to "verify login" if you tried to access certain pages, like the account settings?

Do you have any addons / extensions installed in your FF?

What wiper tool do you have installed? Do you have any other security, ad blocking, firewall or anti virus software installed? If so what software?
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    gryhndgryhnd Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2012
    Have had to relogin daily for the last two-three days. After the recently implemented "fix" I had stayed logged in continuously, until just the other day. No other changes to my system.
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2012
    Give it a try without your wiper tool as there's a chance it might be wiping more than it should. At the same time also don't clear anything in Firefox either.

And just to clarify, when you say that you've "now been logged in constantly", do you mean going to your homepage you were shown it as a logged out visitor or were still logged in and only asked to "verify login" if you tried to access certain pages, like the account settings?

Do you have any addons / extensions installed in your FF?

What wiper tool do you have installed? Do you have any other security, ad blocking, firewall or anti virus software installed? If so what software?

I think you've misunderstood my comment, Sebastian. I was trying to provide positive feedback. In other words, I've not had any login issues for over a week. That's a good thing! Thanks for your concern.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2012
    beardedgit wrote: »
    I think you've misunderstood my comment, Sebastian. I was trying to provide positive feedback. In other words, I've not had any login issues for over a week. That's a good thing! Thanks for your concern.
    Oh, that's good news indeed! clap.gif
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2012
    gryhnd wrote: »
    Have had to relogin daily for the last two-three days. After the recently implemented "fix" I had stayed logged in continuously, until just the other day. No other changes to my system.
    (post with your details for reference)
    What are your privacy settings in Firefox? Try these settings to see if that helps.

Do you have any toolbars or addons / extensions installed in your FF? If so which?

Can you give it a try in Safari to see if the issue is limited to FF?
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    WilhelmWilhelm Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 1, 2012
    Login then Logout and Login again fixed my problems not stay loged in with firefox.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2012
    Randomly logged out again. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to this. Working for several days, and now, not. ne_nau.gif
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2012
    Randomly logged out again. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to this. Working for several days, and now, not. ne_nau.gif

Hey David

Wonder if maybe you have an old/corrupt log in cookie giving you grief. Have you cleared all of the SmugMug cookies recently? I'd try that - clear all (or SmugMug specific) cookies, shut everything down to be sure that you clear them out, then try again.

Fingers crossed that will work!