Photoshop CC et al.

13»

Comments

  • NikolaiNikolai Darth SLR Posts: 19,033Registered Users Major grins
    edited May 31, 2013
    And if you don't get one, you can still say something here:
    http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2013/05/creative-cloud-were-listening.html
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    Star*Explorer: on Dgrin, home; Master Class: open;
    Class is in session, My Facebook, @DarthSLR, #NiksTips
    member: NAPP, PPA, partner: Adobe
    Comprehending life, universe and everything - one pixel at a time
  • HarlanBearHarlanBear grin & bear it Lakewood Ranch, FLPosts: 290Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 5, 2013
    I am just now learning about this Photoshop Creative Cloud, and it's a bit confusing to me. I was looking to upgrade from CS5 (I have the disk) to CS6, but seems I missed the boat on getting it on disk. And I certainly don't want to lose use of current Photoshop and layered files.

    If I'm happy enough with CS5 on disk, will I still be good working with it, saving and storing layered images as .psd, image manipulation and all that? Or do they put the voodoo on my existing software and files.
    Mick

    Website
  • AceCo55AceCo55 Aussie Grinner Posts: 955Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 6, 2013
    HarlanBear wrote: »
    I am just now learning about this Photoshop Creative Cloud, and it's a bit confusing to me. I was looking to upgrade from CS5 (I have the disk) to CS6, but seems I missed the boat on getting it on disk. And I certainly don't want to lose use of current Photoshop and layered files.

    If I'm happy enough with CS5 on disk, will I still be good working with it, saving and storing layered images as .psd, image manipulation and all that? Or do they put the voodoo on my existing software and files.

    You can still buy CS6 as a disk with a perpetual licence. But at this stage, Adobe are saying it will be the last version available on disk. Also any new features will not be updated to CS6 users ... only the Creative Cloud will get updated to new features.
    (Adobe have said that they will supply patches for CS6 for some time - can't remember their exact working)
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • HarlanBearHarlanBear grin & bear it Lakewood Ranch, FLPosts: 290Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 7, 2013
    AceCo55 wrote: »
    You can still buy CS6 as a disk with a perpetual licence. But at this stage, Adobe are saying it will be the last version available on disk. Also any new features will not be updated to CS6 users ... only the Creative Cloud will get updated to new features.
    (Adobe have said that they will supply patches for CS6 for some time - can't remember their exact working)

    Yea, I see that I can buy CS6 for the full retail price. But I have CS5 and only need an upgrade, which does not appear to be an option. Looks like choice is to purchase it at full price or sign up for perpetual payments, so long-standing customers who have continued to up-grade are SOL. Unless I'm missing something.
    Mick

    Website
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Still learnin'still lovin Posts: 20,597Super Moderators moderator
    edited June 7, 2013
    HarlanBear wrote: »
    Yea, I see that I can buy CS6 for the full retail price. But I have CS5 and only need an upgrade, which does not appear to be an option. Looks like choice is to purchase it at full price or sign up for perpetual payments, so long-standing customers who have continued to up-grade are SOL. Unless I'm missing something.

    Go to this page:

    http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html?promoid=KFPRM

    Choose either Photoshop CS6 or Photoshop CS6 Extended and click the "Buy" link. This should bring up some options including:

    I want to buy: "Full"
    ... is default, but if you click the little down arrow you can select "Upgrade".

    When you choose the "Upgrade" option and the product you are upgrading from you should see CS6 Upgrade for US $199.00 and US $399.00 for PS CS6 Extended Upgrade.

    Does this make sense?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • HarlanBearHarlanBear grin & bear it Lakewood Ranch, FLPosts: 290Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 7, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Go to this page:

    http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html?promoid=KFPRM

    Choose either Photoshop CS6 or Photoshop CS6 Extended and click the "Buy" link. This should bring up some options including:

    I want to buy: "Full"
    ... is default, but if you click the little down arrow you can select "Upgrade".

    When you choose the "Upgrade" option and the product you are upgrading from you should see CS6 Upgrade for US $199.00 and US $399.00 for PS CS6 Extended Upgrade.

    Does this make sense?


    clap.gif You are the man, Ziggy!! I would never had thought to check out the arrows. Thanks so much.

    Now my only concern is not getting it on disk? Me being old school, I ordered CS5 as an upgrade on disk and Adobe sent it. But I see at check-out it is only available as a download. So I'm concerned about being able to get CS6 again if I have computer problems or when I get a new computer. Guess I can always call Adobe and see what they say. Anybody have thoughts or experience with this?

    In any case .... Thanks again, Ziggy.
    Mick

    Website
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Unwanted Customer Posts: 634Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 19, 2013
    Not that I suppose it will mean anything, this drop in the ocean, but here is a link to the CC protest petition page:

    https://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-mandatory-creative-cloud-subscription-model

    Apparently there are over 30,000 signatories so far.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • ian408ian408 More wag. Less Bark. Posts: 21,292Administrators moderator
    edited June 19, 2013
    PetaPixel published a story today that implied it's been cracked already-within one day of release. So much for that plan lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • RyanSRyanS Always Learning Posts: 507Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 20, 2013
    That isn't unexpected. Though some advanced features will not work in a pirated copy due to their reliance on cloud access. As time goes on that gap will widen. What I find interesting is that Adobe added 200,000 new CC subscribers last quarter. The CEO indicated they are seeing that trend up through the rest of the year. If there is outrage it seems those voices are overwhelmed by the horde of people signing up for subscriptions. They expect to see 4 million subscribers by 2015.

    I just downloaded CC two days ago. It is for sure a "version 1.0" kind of experience, but I can see where this is going already. The big missing features right now are file syncing and Typekit. They are just place holders at the moment. A few of the "cloud only" offerings seem interesting as well. Adobe Muse reminds me of Microsoft's FrontPage, but done right (from a designers perspective). I might use it for small galleries or other specialized sites. I'm curious what other people think of the CC release. Anyone else using it?

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57589987-92/adobe-ceo-were-off-to-a-good-start-with-subscriptions-q-a/
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • ian408ian408 More wag. Less Bark. Posts: 21,292Administrators moderator
    edited June 20, 2013
    It will be interesting to see if that rate keeps up but I would hardly call it a "horde" yet.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Major grins Posts: 1,330Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 27, 2013
    Interesting factoid... all the attendees to the Windows Build conference got a free 1 year sub to Adobe Creative Cloud. Windows Build is a conference Microsoft puts on about every year or so for Windows developers.
  • RichardRichard Mildly bemused Madrid, SpainPosts: 18,753Administrators, Vanilla Admin moderator
    edited June 27, 2013
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    Interesting factoid... all the attendees to the Windows Build conference got a free 1 year sub to Adobe Creative Cloud. Windows Build is a conference Microsoft puts on about every year or so for Windows developers.

    He gives the kids free samples,
    Because he knows full well
    That today's young innocent faces
    Will be tomorrow's clientele.


    --Tom Lehrer, The Old Dope Peddler

    rolleyes1.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Darth SLR Posts: 19,033Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 27, 2013
    Richard wrote: »
    He gives the kids free samples,
    Because he knows full well
    That today's young innocent faces
    Will be tomorrow's clientele.

    --Tom Lehrer, The Old Dope Peddler

    rolleyes1.gif

    My feelings exactly...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    Star*Explorer: on Dgrin, home; Master Class: open;
    Class is in session, My Facebook, @DarthSLR, #NiksTips
    member: NAPP, PPA, partner: Adobe
    Comprehending life, universe and everything - one pixel at a time
  • LilRedLilRed Big grins Posts: 10Registered Users Big grins
    edited June 29, 2013
    My 2008 iMac was laid to rest this week. I had the Adobe Elements 6 on it and I am finding out the Elements history from 6 to the current 11 hasn't been an improvement. The 11 is more like iPhoto. Grrr So what is similar to Elements 6? Photoshop CC. So let's do the math... I purchased Elements 6 in 2008 for maybe $125.00. Today to use Photoshop CC for five years it would cost me $1,199.40 or I could purchase the CS6 for $699.00 for the life of this new computer. Does anyone have suggestions for other developers that create similar products? I agree CC stands fro "Cash Cow"
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Still learnin'still lovin Posts: 20,597Super Moderators moderator
    edited June 29, 2013
    LilRed wrote: »
    My 2008 iMac was laid to rest this week. I had the Adobe Elements 6 on it and I am finding out the Elements history from 6 to the current 11 hasn't been an improvement. The 11 is more like iPhoto. Grrr So what is similar to Elements 6? Photoshop CC. So let's do the math... I purchased Elements 6 in 2008 for maybe $125.00. Today to use Photoshop CC for five years it would cost me $1,199.40 or I could purchase the CS6 for $699.00 for the life of this new computer. Does anyone have suggestions for other developers that create similar products? I agree CC stands fro "Cash Cow"

    If "Adobe Elements 6" was sufficient, you might try Adobe Lightroom. While the interface is completely different*, the basic capabilities of Lightroom are certainly superior to Elements 6, while the cost is reasonable.


    *(IOW, if you have to learn something new anyway, why not learn something that can expand your capabilities by a considerable margin.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Major grins Posts: 1,330Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 29, 2013
    The product that formerly was called Bibble is now Corel AfterShot Pro. It has both asset management and photo image processing in it. All of the processing is non-destructive and it can work directly on a raw image. It's a lot less expensive ($50) than Lightroom and there are quite a few free plugins for it. I did use Bibble quite a while ago and it is actually a very good product. But in the end I would rather use Lightroom for photo images. There just seem to be a lot more sources of information on how to do things with Lightroom than every was for Bibble.

    Adobe has said they were going to look at a less costly alternative to the CC for 'togs who use only Photoshop and Lightroom, but as of yet the haven't been any specifics.

    I think there are two things working against it though. One is that it seems CC has been very successful for Adobe so I'm not sure they feel much pressure to try to make and maintain a less costly alternative.

    The second is that even if Adobe did come up with an alternative it still would be more costly than buying PS6 and upgrading once every 5 years or so.


    LilRed wrote: »
    My 2008 iMac was laid to rest this week. I had the Adobe Elements 6 on it and I am finding out the Elements history from 6 to the current 11 hasn't been an improvement. The 11 is more like iPhoto. Grrr So what is similar to Elements 6? Photoshop CC. So let's do the math... I purchased Elements 6 in 2008 for maybe $125.00. Today to use Photoshop CC for five years it would cost me $1,199.40 or I could purchase the CS6 for $699.00 for the life of this new computer. Does anyone have suggestions for other developers that create similar products? I agree CC stands fro "Cash Cow"
13»
Sign In or Register to comment.