Options

How do you slow down your shutter finger?

2»

Comments

• Options
    michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2013
    ^^what john said. Click the magnifying glass and it will take you to a new screen with the enlarged photo. You can use the arrow keys to cull through photos, click "t" on keyboard to tag images you'd like to keep (you'll see a check mark pop up by the image). When you leave this screen, there is an option to view all tagged images, and you can sort them from here. I'm busy at the moment, but I will go into detail when I shoot you back a PM :)
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2013
    Diva, last suggestion. take a hammer and lightly smack your shutter finger a few times before a shoot. Obviously you don't to break any thing but hard enough so it hurts to push down on the shutter button. Problem solved! Please report back to us on the results...
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2013
    Michael and John, see screenshot above - that's what I get when I click to go to the single, full size image. HOWEVER... that was on a directory that had already been uploaded/imported to the hard drive. When I used PM on a CF card in the CF drive, it read fine and behaved as expected. Maybe something was stripped when it was imported from camera? Not sure. Will experiment.

Charles, I agree I'm overshooting, hence why I asked the question - I think my frustration is a combination of that and workflow, and this thread has very helpfully given me ideas to address both. I won't to reduce the number of shots I deliver since I believe that's an appropriate number for my market, but I'd like to minimize the pointless extras that I don't NEED but seem to take anyway. Hoping I can curb my enthusiasm next shoot (although that one is way outside my comfort zone, and I bet I second guess myself!! :smack )

The least satisfying part of my time is in the culling rather than editing, however; way too many hours spent doing something I find pretty un-fun. Sure, I may spend more time editing than some of you, but I actually enjoy it (for the most part) so I don't consider it time wasted. Culling? Blech. Hate it. Worst part of the process for me. Borrrrinnngggg.

Computer is at 6g of memory (upgradeable to 8, which I'll be doing in due course), but new computer isn't an option right now, so I have to make the best of what I've got :)
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2013
    PS Qarik, you and Alex are clearly thinking on the same lines. I'll leave camera mutilation and electrocution off the menu for now rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    Michael and John, see screenshot above - that's what I get when I click to go to the single, full size image. HOWEVER... that was on a directory that had already been uploaded/imported to the hard drive. When I used PM on a CF card in the CF drive, it read fine and behaved as expected. Maybe something was stripped when it was imported from camera? Not sure. Will experiment.

After some research, I realized that your expiration problem is because of having the trial version of Photo Mechanic and having the wrong date set on your images (in camera). Your camera's date is set to the future (in your picture it says it was taken on 6/28). This date is past the time PM expires, and according to this thread they have it programmed this way for security reasons. So your quick fix would be to correct the date of your images in camera and try it out again. It should work fine thumb.gif

Also, I agree with Charles that when it comes to a session, you need to evaluate everything when shooting. However, I don't discourage snapping away photographs. If you are able to capture "winners" by getting snaps at that right moment, it's valuable for your portfolio and the client. Taking pictures beyond the designated time, in my opinion, is where you can run into some trouble about the value of your work (per hour). Focusing on technique and a solid workflow has certainly increased value for my own work. Also PM has shed off about 2-3 hours of culling time, which has saved me tons of time and money! :D
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2013
    11doh.gif I'm an idiot. Totally missed my date is set wrong. DUH. Thanks for stating the totally obvious (which I had totally missed!) rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2013
    Capture One is a great conversion program and there is a trial version. If you want to try it give me a call and I'll explain parts of it to you.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »

Maybe keep track of your prep time, shooting time, culling time, retouching time, presenting time and then divide that into what you charged. YOU MIGHT GET A HUGE SHOCK! Like a buck or two an hour. That will make you shoot less.

In addition to the above, imagine you're still shooting film and put an iou in a box equivalent to the No of frames taken / used as if still using the stuff.

btw - similar to wave01 I also use DPP and typically take 200 - 400ish frames (altho 550 yesterday) albeit not people - seem to load quick enough to me.

pp
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2013
    After some research, I realized that your expiration problem is because of having the trial version of Photo Mechanic and having the wrong date set on your images (in camera). Your camera's date is set to the future (in your picture it says it was taken on 6/28). This date is past the time PM expires, and according to this thread they have it programmed this way for security reasons. So your quick fix would be to correct the date of your images in camera and try it out again. It should work fine thumb.gif

Heh that is funny...I don't know how much security that provides. If the software is dependant on the date range specified in the trial then it sounds like you have a free version of PM forever as long as you reset your camera to the date range of the trial before you shoot. headscratch.gif
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com