Options

New Slideshow flickers on transitions - Mac OS X

Comments

• Options
    gutowskiagutowskia Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    Still having problems with the flicker and size of images on gallery slideshows. Safari on Mac mini with 27" (2560x1440) monitor (OS X 10.8.4 and Safari 6.0.5). Images will not expand to full screen like they used to after 2nd or 3rd image was loaded, I see a big black border. Again, on same mac but on second monitor (same video card) the transition is actually smooth (if I move the safari browser to the secondary monitor which is smaller 1680x1050, the image transitions are smooth) but are not centered vertically and cut off at the bottom (most likely incorrectly using the main monitor's height)

Please let me know if I can provide any other information to help with identifying the problem.

-Andy
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    BUMP! This is a Bug obviously. This has not made it into the new Confirmed Bug thread yet. Also, still have not seen a confirmation here that it has been sent to the developers. Andy sees the issue using Safari. I see it using Mac/Chrome. Just went and looked at several New SM sites from the area where we were asked to Show Us Your New SItes. All the ones with Slideshows on homepage have the flicker still to my Mac/Chrome.

Hoping we are not getting anything from SM/Hero's because SM is in process of rewriting the Slideshow entirely fixing issues and adding features back from legacy. Only I don't know this since the powers that be are silent on this at this time. Bump!
  • Options
    HeroOfCantonHeroOfCanton Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    It has been reported, we are trying to replicate it well enough for the developers to take a look and see what the problem is.
    Quality Engineer - My SmugMug Site

Getting started on DGrin? Go here first!
    Contact a Support Hero: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new
  • Options
    iphaseiphase Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 7, 2013
    New Slide Shows flickers on transition
    I also see the slideshow transition flicker problem on my 27" iMac, with Safari but not Chrome. Also the image would be expand to fill up entire screen. I had no problem with old slideshow before upgrading to the new SmugMug. Can we not just have the old sldieshow back (with filmstrip)?
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2013
    It has been reported, we are trying to replicate it well enough for the developers to take a look and see what the problem is.

I guess not, but seems pretty simple. There is a piece of errant code re-displaying the PREVIOUS image on top of the current image and then re-displaying the current image. This is so obvious if they look at the URL I supplied which proves this is the "flicker"! AS to the post above this one, I see the "flicker" using Chrome on Mac! Go figure! Apparently is a Mac problem as no PC user has seen or commented on this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Big grins S. UtahPosts: 0 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2013
    Why isn't this bug in the "SmugMug Active Bug List"?

Is it because it's not being worked on?

Or maybe the slideshow is about to be replaced by a properly functional (aka slick) version.
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2013
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2013
    Appears to be fixed ???
    Went to someone's site today where she had the slideshow on the homepage. The flicker was NOT happening on her site from my Macintosh! Appears to be SmugMug's slideshow. I then added a slideshow to my Preview Homepage and did not change any settings. It was NOT flickering!!!!

Can others with Macs help verify that this has been fixed? If it was fixed, why was the thread not updated? This was a serious bug for Mac folks.

Also, this flicker bug never made it to the Active Bug List.
  • Options
    Not fixed here
    Still happening for my site on my iMac.

It's more noticeable when I select "Slideshow" from a gallery. In this case I have no control over fade, speed etc.

If I add a small slideshow to my Homepage and set transition to none, it is not very noticeable. But I'd say it's still there.
  • Options
    Hello Heros BUMP
    Well, that's a bummer! I thought they really did something for us here. I notice they did not leave any comments that they worked on it and how are the results. I added a page to my Preview mode and put the slideshow in it and a menu item to that page and it is working fine on my Mac. HELLO HERO's!!!!! Time for a comment! How about you, Andy?

EDIT: Goughy - are you live yet and if so, can you place your url in your DGRIN profile and or signature line? Also, if you put it in your signature line, you get a plus from Google to your website! Maybe a plus for being in the profile area, too.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited September 19, 2013
    Still seeing the problem here. Most slideshows seem fine when started from the beginning, but if I begin somewhere in the middle, the photos lay on top and behind each other. Backwards or forwards also if I use the arrows when slideshow is off. Just a mess in Safari. I won't dare go live until this is fixed.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2013
    We are still looking into this, and I added to the bug list.
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    We are still looking into this, and I added to the bug list.

Sounds good. Thanks Michael.
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2013
    Thanks! Don't know what re-programming has been done, but the issue seems to be solved for me. But there were several posts that showed they were still having problems that were a bit different from what I described about the previous image repeating. Thank you for adding it! I know you were busy at the show! We appreciate your always helping us out. Where are the other Hero's!!!!
  • Options
    Here's an update to this issue that might help to debug it.

I've signed up for a trial Zenfolio account. This can be seen at http://electricbrae.zenfolio.com.

The homepage contains a slideshow. If the homepage is stretched to its maximum size on my 27" iMac, the slideshow exhibits the dreaded flicker.

The flicker occurs even if the height of the homepage is decreased.

However, if the width of the homepage is decreased, the flicker stops occurring at around 3/4 of the width of my screen (even if full height is used).

So it seems to be related to the width of the image and might be a bug in Safari or Mac OSX. It will be interesting to see if it still occurs when Mavericks is introduced later this year.

I can't repeat the test on SmugMug as there are no height/width controls on the full creen slideshow but perhaps this might help SmuMug engineers track down the root cause.
  • Options
    Goughy wrote: »
    Here's an update to this issue that might help to debug it.

I've signed up for a trial Zenfolio account. This can be seen at http://electricbrae.zenfolio.com.

The homepage contains a slideshow. If the homepage is stretched to its maximum size on my 27" iMac, the slideshow exhibits the dreaded flicker.

The flicker occurs even if the height of the homepage is decreased.

However, if the width of the homepage is decreased, the flicker stops occurring at around 3/4 of the width of my screen (even if full height is used).

So it seems to be related to the width of the image and might be a bug in Safari or Mac OSX. It will be interesting to see if it still occurs when Mavericks is introduced later this year.

I can't repeat the test on SmugMug as there are no height/width controls on the full creen slideshow but perhaps this might help SmuMug engineers track down the root cause.

Can you tell if the flicker is the issue where the previous image flashes on screen? That was my problem with Macs and Chrome and Safari, too, I think. I no longer see the problem using Chrome. No Hero has stated that it was actually worked on. Or is your flicker a "different" flicker?
  • Options
    Can you tell if the flicker is the issue where the previous image flashes on screen? That was my problem with Macs and Chrome and Safari, too, I think. I no longer see the problem using Chrome. No Hero has stated that it was actually worked on. Or is your flicker a "different" flicker?

I think it is the same bug. If I look at my trial zenfolio site I can see the previous image quickly flash over the new image just after it has appeared. It's very quick and a little difficult to see.

It is significant that it only occurs under certain conditions - e.g. width over (approx) 2000 pixels. I don't use Chrome so I can't say if it is a Safari or a OS X issue.
  • Options
    Yeah, sounds like the same bug. I know mbonocore has added this to the current bug list; so I can only assume that it WILL be solved - when is an unknown. At least it IS listed! It seems to be fixed with Chrome, so maybe Safari is next. There are forums for zenfolio like here. Certainly this issue has been brought up over there, too. It's interesting that both companies have the same issue; especially since SmugMug does not have the problem in legacy. Wonder if they are both using the same source code for slideshows?:wow
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2013
    I tried an embedded slideshow and with the transition set to "None", the flicker is not apparent (or it is flickering very quickly at the same time as the image is refreshed).

If the transition is set to "Fade" the flicker is all too obvious.

Unfortunately the transition for the full screen slideshow cannot be changed (or I've overlooked a way to do it). It seems to be permanently set to "Fade".
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2013
    Goughy wrote: »
    Unfortunately the transition for the full screen slideshow cannot be changed (or I've overlooked a way to do it). It seems to be permanently set to "Fade".

Are you getting flicker in the Full Screen show? If so, I have not heard about that yet.
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2013
    Are you getting flicker in the Full Screen show? If so, I have not heard about that yet.
    Just saw a full-screen slideshow today that flickered just like all the rest. Not on MAC, either. On FF & Vista.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited October 2, 2013
    So I happened to be looking through another SM gallery, Barb Gates' actually, and it wasn't doing the slideshow flicker thing at first. I got through a bunch of galleries, all free of the problem - until I began choosing an image in the middle of a gallery and proceeded from there. After that, displays of any picture, in slideshow, or the one-by-one mode, were messed up. So whatever it is, early on in viewing, it seems OK, then it starts to go wrong the more one views galleries.

And speaking of flickering, I was viewing a slideshow on flickr, and theirs does the same thing in Safari.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2013
    David_S85 wrote: »
    So I happened to be looking through another SM gallery, Barb Gates' actually, and it wasn't doing the slideshow flicker thing at first. I got through a bunch of galleries, all free of the problem - until I began choosing an image in the middle of a gallery and proceeded from there. After that, displays of any picture, in slideshow, or the one-by-one mode, were messed up. So whatever it is, early on in viewing, it seems OK, then it starts to go wrong the more one views galleries.

And speaking of flickering, I was viewing a slideshow on flickr, and theirs does the same thing in Safari.

Great info Dave! I forwarded to our QA team who is investigating.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2013
    Just saw a full-screen slideshow today that flickered just like all the rest. Not on MAC, either. On FF & Vista.

Please send me a link to the site Anna Lisa. Just saying you see something without helping by providing information doesn't help us.
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Please send me a link to the site Anna Lisa. Just saying you see something without helping by providing information doesn't help us.
    I don't know where it was. It was one you linked for someone earlier today who was asking about a full-screen slideshow. Probably in the regular support forum. Your comment was something like, "do you mean a slideshow like this?" or similar, & the link. (no help on how they could do it, but anyway, that's where I saw the flickers with every transition) But fwiw, I'm never on a MAC, and I haven't seen any slideshows without flickers in a long time. I'm on FF 99% of the time, with Vista. I've seen the flicker so much that I hardly think about it because it's basically what I expect now.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2013
    I don't know where it was. It was one you linked for someone earlier today who was asking about a full-screen slideshow. Probably in the regular support forum. Your comment was something like, "do you mean a slideshow like this?" or similar, & the link. (no help on how they could do it, but anyway, that's where I saw the flickers with every transition) But fwiw, I'm never on a MAC, and I haven't seen any slideshows without flickers in a long time. I'm on FF 99% of the time, with Vista. I've seen the flicker so much that I hardly think about it because it's basically what I expect now.

Thank you. That site is AlanShapiroPhotograpahy.com
  • Options
    picturebikepicturebike Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2013
    has there been any breakthrough with sorting this, i havent unveiled yet but i have the basic slideshow set up and it flickers like mad on my Mac unless i remove the fade option, but thats just as unsightly....

never had this problem with my Legacy site running a slideshow which kinda rubs salt in the wound....
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2013
    i take that as a NO then !

another issue smugmug just going to brush under the carpet and hope we all get bored of asking...
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2013
    Good news!

The flickering does not seem to occur with OS X 10.9 Mavericks. I've only carried out limited testing, but it is smooth so far.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2013
    thats a bit of hope then, would be nice if they could sort it for older versions, im on 10.8.2 and its like a disco