13»

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited October 23, 2013
    …and its like a disco

rolleyes1.gif

(laughing with you mwink.gif)

thats a bit of hope then, would be nice if they could sort it for older versions...

+1. I'm not switching to Mav anytime soon. It should really work on most all somewhat older platforms. Flickr's slideshows does the same "disco" under Safari - even worse, actually.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    picturebikepicturebike Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2013
    so sounds like it is a Apple issue rather than a smug issue ?
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2013
    so sounds like it is a Apple issue rather than a smug issue ?

More sounds like SmugMug used Flicker's slideshow program:D
  • Options
    PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2013
    Goughy wrote: »
    The flickering does not seem to occur with OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

Well then you are lucky, because my in-gallery slideshows either freeze at the first image or the transitions fade half-way, freeze for few seconds and then snap to the next image. If I try to restart the slideshow, the images are often displayed half way off the left side of the page/screen. In summary... the SM slideshows running in Safari suck!

The same in-gallery slideshow displays just fine in Chrome on the same Mac running Mavericks.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2013
    "Slideshow Sweep"
    The blog says the slideshow has had fixes, but my Safari browser proves that still ain't true.

i-jwWdJj6-L.jpg

There are still ghosts of previous pics layered over and under current displaying pics. What I did was first let the slideshow pass through about 60+ pictures in one gallery. Mostly fine, but some shots persisted on screen for about 15 or more seconds instead of the normal ~5 seconds. I interpret that as a pre-fetch lag. Still odd to see, though. Now, that's better than the performance before, since I've had it freeze after only 16 or 20 photos. So I was hopeful. I repeated the display and the second time the slideshow failed (as seen above). I would think that after all the pics were in my cache, things would be fine. So something is still being served up wrong I think. Both the slideshow and individual pictures (click the arrow) display are still b0rked in Safari.

I refuse to unveil new SM until something as simple as a slideshow (or individual photo) display is fixed. I know most of you at SM use Macs and can see the problems on a daily basis with the native browser.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    picturebikepicturebike Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2013
    my mac now runs OS 10.85 and still flickers, should have an epilepsy warning with it...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2013
    Goughy wrote: »
    Good news!

The flickering does not seem to occur with OS X 10.9 Mavericks. I've only carried out limited testing, but it is smooth so far.

Agree, no issue now, with OSX 10.9
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2013
    Hmmmm. Maybe I really should update past Windows 95 (kidding, Andy). Going to Mav does the trick, eh?
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2013
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Hmmmm. Maybe I really should update past Windows 95 (kidding, Andy). Going to Mav does the trick, eh?

I thought you were still using DOS 3.1 lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    I thought you were still using DOS 3.1 lol3.gif

The 5.25" diskette set of 2.0, 3.x, 4.x (the one that had a mousable file system), plus GW Basic, WordStar 2.0, The game Snake and Lotus 1-2-3, is in the bottom of a drawer a few feet from me if I ever want to go fully retro. You never know when you might need that stuff. mwink.gif

I think we've gone off-topic. Kinda.
    My Smugmug