Options

add support for sign in (for comments) > Google, others

Comments

• Options
    J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    friendly bump :D (I really want this one)
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited August 11, 2013
    J Allen wrote: »
    friendly bump :D (I really want this one)
    me too! I'd love to add comments boxes to my site but I won't do it without either anonymous comments or the ability to use Google logins. I'd actually like to see both.

--- Denise
  • Options
    garrettm30garrettm30 Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    Me too. I was excited about incorporating comments into the new version of my site, but there's no point if it requires SmugMug (none of my viewers have it) or Facebook (only about half of my viewers have it--none of my most frequent viewers have it). I'm a bit backwards, but I don't even have a Facebook account, and I surely don't want to require it to leave comments.
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    +1 for anonymous comments!!

at the moment, i don't even have a guest book, simply because there's no point. but i would like to give visitors the chance to leave a comment if they choose without the added hassle of creating a SM account or forcing them to give SM access to their FB account and all their friends... i found with my old site that very few comments were really "anonymous" -most people left a name -and not once in 6 years have i gotten an obscene or offensive remark. i think the excessive caution in that regard is bordering on the ridiculous. personally, if i visited a site and was told to log in as either a site member or using FB, i'd simply leave and take my comment (and my business, if that was what i wanted) elsewhere. not EVERYONE has a Facebook account, you know, and who the hell wants to become a member of a site just to leave a comment?? i want at least the option of allowing anonymous comments!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    mklabovemklabove Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    +1 for anonymous comments.

I have a Facebook account but many of my viewers don't. Besides, I don't use those creds to login anywhere but facebook. I won't ask other people to do so. Nor do I see why my viewers should need to give Smugmug their email address in order to comment on my paid site.

Keith
  • Options
    pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    mklabove wrote: »
    +1 for anonymous comments.

I have a Facebook account but many of my viewers don't. Besides, I don't use those creds to login anywhere but facebook. I won't ask other people to do so. Nor do I see why my viewers should need to give Smugmug their email address in order to comment on my paid site.

Keith

I agree with this; I also have a Facebook account but won't use it to log in. When I want to comment on other sites I won't bother if I have to log in. I've appreciated every comment I've gotten on my legacy Smugmug site (all anonymous) and have had no problems with spam. I would be happy to moderate comments if that is required, but please allow anonymous comments!
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    Spam control -- but you allow anonymous EMAIL!!!
    Sheaf wrote: »
    The spam in the old system was a major headache for many of our customers and for us as well. It also significantly impacted our email deliverability because people were understandably marking comment notification emails as spam when the included comment was a spammy one. We're still looking at this, but it's not simply a matter of expecting people to moderate their own comments.

With all due respect this makes no sense when you allow anonymous EMAIL to be sent, but ban comments.

As a visitor, I can not only send email, but use fake addresses and identity.

Before, I could do so only as a photo comment. Now it's more a direct path to being an open relay of sorts (OK, you do have the visual check, but that could go on comments). Notice the from address in this test message just sent. In the past the anonymous comment was from Smugmug as well -- these kind of emails coming from your server, but not from you, are even more likely to cause blacklisting and related problems.

So if your real aim was controlling spam -- you missed badly.
  • Options
    ceasleyceasley Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    Totally agree. The site owner should be the one who decides if they want to get anonymous comments, and they should also decide if they want to moderate their comments via email notifications.
    Colleen Easley

Visit my website

Photography is my vehicle for discovery!
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    I have visited a bunch of other company websites and to leave comments they use a system called disqus and there you can create a disqus account login with that to leave comments or they have FB, Twitter, Google buttons. Why not just use that system/option here.
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    I have visited a bunch of other company websites and to leave comments they use a system called disqus and there you can create a disqus account login with that to leave comments or they have FB, Twitter, Google buttons. Why not just use that system/option here.

I don't mean to imply they shouldn't do that ALSO, but I personally will almost never register anywhere to leave comments. I suspect many people are like that. People's whose comments I want to get.

A web site operator should have the option of accepting, or not, anonymous comments.

The issue here I think is that Smugmug thinks its the web site operator, and we clients think we are. In fact I think that explains a lot of what went wrong with this migration.
  • Options
    toddbuchanantoddbuchanan Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    I have corporate clients who don't want to login using facebook or google+...but if I give them a password protected gallery, why can't they comment/rate the photos? So from my view point, if I have given someone a password to my gallery (I've given them permission), why can't they leave a comment or rate my photo?
  • Options
    toddbuchanantoddbuchanan Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    In my case, working with corporate clients they don't want to use FB or G+ to log in...if I send them a password protected gallery (with the password), then it seems to me that I have given them permission to work with me and comment or rate photos...couldn't we at least get that (ability to comment on password protected galleries)?
  • Options
    everydaymemorieseverydaymemories Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    PLEASE let us choose how to accept comments and stop limiting it just to FB and SM accounts. People viewing my site have told me they don't want to log in. I'd rather take the chance I might have to deal with anonymous comments than miss all the good helpful comments I'm missing.

Wordpress handles commenting well. So I know it can be done.
    Michele
    michelekendzie.smugmug.com
  • Options
    billwbillw Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    ... if I have given someone a password to my gallery (I've given them permission), why can't they leave a comment or rate my photo?

15524779-Ti.gif

This makes so much sense I can't believe smugmug has not moved on this.

As I've pointed out in another thread, I'm involving family in genealogy research, posting old photos and asking for comments (identification of people, events, places, dates, etc.). The galleries are passworded and I send family members the URL and password so they can view the galleries. Until my family can leave anonymous comments (i.e. without logging in - gramma doesn't have a FB account and won't get one) this project is on hold.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    friendly bump rolleyes1.gif
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    Marina VdcMarina Vdc Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 22, 2013
    I agree that the site owner should be the one who decides if they want to get anonymous comments, and they should also decide if they want to moderate their comments via email notifications

Marina
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    Ferguson wrote: »

The issue here I think is that Smugmug thinks its the web site operator, and we clients think we are. In fact I think that explains a lot of what went wrong with this migration.

Bingo. I don't want to be nannied by SmugMug telling me (or insisting on vetting) what code I can put on my site, or deciding for me that gallery passwords should be obscured or that I should be protected against someone misusing the comments system (never happened in 9years in my site)

Sent from my PadFone 2 using Tapatalk 4
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited August 22, 2013
    bump!

Can we get a comment on this from smug? Also on the request to allow anonymous comments?

I'd like to re-enable comments on my site but I can't without either Google sign in or anonymous comments.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    :lurk
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »

log out of user voice as admin and update your link here :D
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    J Allen wrote: »
    log out of user voice as admin and update your link here :D

Woops! Thanks Joe ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2013
    bump-idy bump!
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    Damn it. The bride I am working with just complained she can't leave comments in her gallery because she doesn't want to sign up for SM, and doesn't have any online accounts. She's anti social media.
  • Options
    Lorac53Lorac53 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 1, 2013
    I also agree....please do not restrict comments to facebook and smugmug users.
  • Options
    uketeeceeuketeecee Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    My site is password protected. My visitors should be free to comment as they are already verified via the password.
  • Options
    firefox13firefox13 Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2013
    PLEASE! give us this now!!
    Power to the people (or in this case SM paying customers)
  • Options
    wellsie82wellsie82 Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    i emailed the smugmug helpdesk last night asking if there was any movement/option on this & they came back to say it is what it is

what i would prefer as a customer & owner of my site is to be given the choice as to who leaves comments & in particular whether i need to restrict people to log-in or not. we should be able to toggle whether we restrict users & then if we restrict them, what medium they log in through

it's a pity smugmug don't monitor these forums as effectively as they do their emails, they could cut their email traffic in half if they were more involved on these forums
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    billw wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif

This makes so much sense I can't believe smugmug has not moved on this.

As I've pointed out in another thread, I'm involving family in genealogy research, posting old photos and asking for comments (identification of people, events, places, dates, etc.). The galleries are passworded and I send family members the URL and password so they can view the galleries. Until my family can leave anonymous comments (i.e. without logging in - gramma doesn't have a FB account and won't get one) this project is on hold.
    Yes, in passworded galleries especially, it's utterly ridiculous. Also, I have the exact reason as yours (amongst others) why I really need comments enabled without some kind of log-in, if I decide that it's OK for me! I too have historic family photo galleries, and many of my comments (extremely helpful ones for me) are in those galleries. SmugMug is making decisions / monitoring stuff for us in ways we don't want. I've never had a problem with comments, and I know lots of people would never have commented had a log-in been required. I understand some folks had problems, but there's absolutely no reason to not let us decide for ourselves. I've used comments for voting, for people to choose certain photos for a purpose, etc. And in PWed galleries, it needs to be automatic.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    I wonder if this thread should get merged with this one: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237539 or at least, anyone "Up Above" who's reading this one should go through that one for arguments, thoughts, ideas & suggestions as well. Thank you!
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com