Options

add support for sign in (for comments) > Google, others

Comments

• Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    I understand, but I can sit here and tell you we will have more internal discussions about it and give you false hope, or tell you that we will not be having anonymous comments so we can move to other discussions. I chose to tell you the later, and while it's not what you want to here , I think it's better than lying to you.

We don't want lies from you, we want lies from our anonymous commenters! :D

So while being truthful is nice, I'd love to hear WHY you guys make your bizarre (to me) decisions. I personally would never use a comment system that required me to log in through facebook or google. Wouldn't expect my visitors to do so either.

Dave
  • Options
    billwbillw Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    I understand, but I can sit here and tell you we will have more internal discussions about it and give you false hope, or tell you that we will not be having anonymous comments so we can move to other discussions. I chose to tell you the later, and while it's not what you want to here , I think it's better than lying to you.

And just to be clear, is the discussion about opening up commenting in password-protected galleries also over? If a member has password-protected galleries and has given the password(s) to certain people (perhaps their clients, perhaps family members who are helping with genealogy research), haven't those people "logged in"? In my case it's genealogy, and I know for sure that gramma and grampa aren't interested in getting FB or G+ accounts - one more thing they don't understand and don't want - just so they can comment on old family photos.

Where are the professional event photographers in this discussion? I recall several that said they used password-protected galleries to get comments from their clients, and that makes sense to me.

Not everyone has (or wants) a FB or G+ account.

-- Bill
  • Options
    J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2014
    billw wrote: »
    And just to be clear, is the discussion about opening up commenting in password-protected galleries also over? If a member has password-protected galleries and has given the password(s) to certain people (perhaps their clients, perhaps family members who are helping with genealogy research), haven't those people "logged in"? In my case it's genealogy, and I know for sure that gramma and grampa aren't interested in getting FB or G+ accounts - one more thing they don't understand and don't want - just so they can comment on old family photos.

15524779-Ti.gif
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2014
    billw wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2014
    Silence is the result
    I never got a lot of comments, but a few dozen I think.

Since this change, despite probably a 10 fold increase in image views over the last 6 months, I have received exactly one comment, and a few email messages (since I've instead encourged that).

Has there ever been a clear reason stated? I skimmed this thread and say "Security" and "pedophiles leaving disgusting comments". Was there ever a more clear reason stated?

Or is this it? Fear of pedophiles' comments, and a feeling that customers cannot review/delete as appropriate?

It's not exactly a solution to that, they could still leave messages, they can still get fairly anonymous accounts on the social media sites (how many facebook accounts are reported to be fake now? And Google is probably worse).

Was there some event/lawsuit?

On the face of it, it seems an over-reaction. It's not a deal killer for me, but it would be nice to hear if there is a backstory to it, to know that this feature was removed for good cause.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2014
    I consider visitors that enter a password on my site logged in. They should be able to comment on those
    passworded galleries they now have access to. After all, I control that password. I do not control
    passwords from any other site.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    oneuseroneuser Banned Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 27, 2014
    This is what is required of the visitor in order to leave a comment... Does anyone see a problem here?

SMcomments01.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2014
    oneuser wrote: »
    This is what is required of the visitor in order to leave a comment... Does anyone see a problem here?

I don't do social media. Is that normal for sites with the "login via facebook" or an extra requirement Smugmug added?
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2014
    oneuser wrote: »

SMcomments01.jpg

Good grief. I didn't even know it was that bad. I thought they "just" had to log in w/ their own info, not that that wouldn't have been bad enough as the only option.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2014
    Good grief. I didn't even know it was that bad. I thought they "just" had to log in w/ their own info, not that that wouldn't have been bad enough as the only option.

Maybe someone with Facebook access needs to verify and open a help desk ticket, and maybe a different thread.

I went to apply for a job the other day and they said "you can use your linkedin profile". I clicked it and got a prompt that included that the 3rd party would be granted rights to "post updates" to my linkedin profile. Needless to say I didn't, but it is very interesting how these cross-party applications permit access. And scary. I suspect that this was an oversight, someone checked the wrong box, but it was kind of a serious oversight.

The above may be also. Or may be SM trying to harvest marketing data.
  • Options
    mspmsp Banned Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 3, 2014
    Ferguson wrote: »
    Maybe someone with Facebook access needs to verify and open a help desk ticket, and maybe a different thread.

I went to apply for a job the other day and they said "you can use your linkedin profile". I clicked it and got a prompt that included that the 3rd party would be granted rights to "post updates" to my linkedin profile. Needless to say I didn't, but it is very interesting how these cross-party applications permit access. And scary. I suspect that this was an oversight, someone checked the wrong box, but it was kind of a serious oversight.

The above may be also. Or may be SM trying to harvest marketing data.

fb-comments_sdk.jpg
  • Options
    mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2014
    Ferguson wrote: »
    Or may be SM trying to harvest marketing data.

This is the best reason I've heard so far as to why SM is requiring these log ins for comments. There's a lot of money to be made in selling this type of data. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2014
    mike_k wrote: »
    This is the best reason I've heard so far as to why SM is requiring these log ins for comments. There's a lot of money to be made in selling this type of data. rolleyes1.gif
    We do not sell our customers private information. Never have. It is my understanding that it is pretty standard to ask for this information, see 2 posts above (the screenshot).
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2014
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    We do not sell our customers private information. Never have. It is my understanding that it is pretty standard to ask for this information, see 2 posts above (the screenshot).

It wouldn't be your customer's private information, just their list of friends and their friend's private information...

I'm only kidding of course. The point of oneuser's post shouldn't be lost, though. What visitors will see is that if they want to leave a comment on a photo, the cost to them is that SmugMug will receive their public profile and friends list. The basic_info stuff is irrelevant to this discussion. It just says that there is no option for SmugMug not to have access to this info - well, except for the option of not requiring a visitor to sign into one of these accounts to begin with. This is a failure on Facebook's end.

There is no way in hell that I'm going to give a random third party access to my profile and friends list, especially just to leave a comment on a photo - and I don't think this is an uncommon stance.
  • Options
    mklabovemklabove Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2014
    I need to pass along a question I received from a user / potential commenter: "If I sign in to Smugmug using my Facebook account (in order to leave a comment), what information does Facebook receive about my activity on Smugmug???" The user was concerned about their activity on Smugmug then being used by Facebook to target advertising, etc.

It is clear that mandatory sign in for comments will give Smugmug information about my visitors (though I'm not clear on how Smugmug might/might not use that info), but I've seen nothing on what information Facebook will glean from this.

Keith
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2014
    Originally Posted by billw
    Originally Posted by Allen
    I consider visitors that enter a password on my site logged in. They should be able to comment on those
    passworded galleries they now have access to. After all, I control that password. I do not control

15524779-Ti.gif

http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/4262376-remove-smugmug-facebook-log-in-requirements-for-co
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2014
    What a bunch of $*%*%$!!!

All comments have stopped since this login requirement.
    Thanks for nothing.

Have a good day. :bwg
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    BloozeBlooze Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2014
    Have to agree with everyone else who posted on this thread. I see no reason that anyone cannot comment unless they are "logged in" in some form or another. As long as the site owner has to approve the comment first then it shouldn't be an issue. I have many family members who don't have facebook accounts or use google who can't leave comments. For the price we pay for this service it should be a no-brainer to make anonymous commenting available. Most anyone who looks at my site wouldn't know it was smugmug anyway.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2014

15524779-Ti.gif

http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/4262376-remove-smugmug-facebook-log-in-requirements-for-co
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2014

15524779-Ti.gif

-Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    moonbeam1moonbeam1 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 16, 2014
    Honestly, I am probably going to look elsewhere unless this issue gets fixed in the next few months. I have ZERO comments due to this. Many people are telling me they cannot leave comments. Most of my family arent nor will join facebook. And many who are are not going to login just so they can leave a comment. As I'm slowly expanding into a business, this looks bad.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2014
    And from what I understand if you are in facebook, you may think twice about the information you hand over when you do choose to leave a comment!

I think, maybe, I believe that Smugmug is truly doing this because they are afraid of legal liability. But I hope they can understand why people may view this restriction as a way to harvest personal information of those commenting as well, and why that those people who might otherwise comment may be reluctant.
  • Options
    bokehlover71bokehlover71 Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2014
    On Flickr I got thousands of comments and likes the time I was there, several every day. Here on SmugMug I have got – uh, five! None the last three months. I don’t say comments are among the most important things in life, but at least it’s nice to see that someone visits my site.
  • Options
    DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2014
    Seriously??? this issue has NOT been fixed YET??

I mean really SM wth is your problem? We are PAYING CUSTOMERS and we CANT get what WE want on our sites!?!

Before we could allow comments - no problem, we could also set it up so WE decided if the comment got posted...WHY does Sm have a problem with this>

Seriously - the lack of a fix to get what we paying customers is driving this paying customer up the freakin wall! Its been almost a year for crying out loud!
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    moiluamoilua Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 6, 2014
    They are becoming like Pbase. One of the reasons I left Pbase was because they wouldn't listen to their paying customers.
    I have clients who want to leave comments/reviews but won't because of the requirement to log in. Which means that new prospects may not hire because of the lack of feedback. I pay for this why can't I decide how people leave comments!
  • Options
    DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2014
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    edited June 6, 2014
    DJKennedy wrote: »

I'm sorry, I don't understand the connection. Yahoo is requiring you have a Yahoo account and not accepting Facebook?

What I think people are clamoring for here are login-free comments, not any particular flavor.

I may have missed the relevant part of your referenced link, though... ?
  • Options
    uketeeceeuketeecee Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2014
    My entire site is password protected.

I have a stamp collector site I share with a few other collectors.
    We chat about stamps on the site. It is not open to the public. A password is required to log in.

In OLD SM there were several comments a day. In new SM (which I went to in 2013) there hasn't been a single comment.
    My collector friends have told me they don't wish to bother with a second login just to leave a comment.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2014
    uketeecee wrote: »
    In OLD SM there were several comments a day. In new SM (which I went to in 2013) there hasn't been a single comment.
    My collector friends have told me they don't wish to bother with a second login just to leave a comment.

15524779-Ti.gif

-Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2014
    uketeecee wrote: »

15524779-Ti.gif

-Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site