Options

add support for sign in (for comments) > Google, others

Comments

• Options
    pekrpekr Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2013
    garrettm30 wrote: »
    ... I can also understand things like Javascript being removed because of its challenges from an technical implementation standpoint (even though I still miss it). .....

I am new here, but what? Are you saying, that we are not able to use javascript for the custom html/css pages?

Thanks,
    Petr
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2013
    pekr wrote: »
    I am new here, but what? Are you saying, that we are not able to use javascript for the custom html/css pages?

Thanks,
    Petr

That's right, zero custom JavaScript on New SmugMug.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    mishenka wrote: »
    template with very limited customization power

To be fair, for the vast majority of SmugMug's userbase, New SmugMug represents a vast leap forward in customisation power. Not everybody wants to spend all day digging through arcane DGrin threads in order to find mysterious codes to copy and paste into their websites. The new drag'n'drop editor is superb by comparison to Old SmugMug.
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    To be fair, for the vast majority of SmugMug's userbase, New SmugMug represents a vast leap forward in customisation power. Not everybody wants to spend all day digging through arcane DGrin threads in order to find mysterious codes to copy and paste into their websites. The new drag'n'drop editor is superb by comparison to Old SmugMug.

Absolutely! New template driven service is a huge leap for many people. Even I do not want to spend hours coding:) But in all the honesty, look at my current site. You do understand that I am screwed by this limited template driven business model, right?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,239 moderator
    edited October 31, 2013
    Absolutely! New template driven service is a huge leap for many people. Even I do not want to spend hours coding:) But in all the honesty, look at my current site. You do understand that I am screwed by this limited template driven business model, right?
    Can we please take this conversation elsewhere since it causes this thread to be taken away from the purpose of tracking the request for (additional) sign in options for comments?

--- Denise
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2013
    I am very sorry, Denise. That is right, let's not forget what this thread is about. BUMP and REQUEST for more info about additional sign in options and details about allowing us to have anonymous comments.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    But in all the honesty, look at my current site. You do understand that I am screwed by this limited template driven business model, right?

Not at all. It would take very little adjustment to fit that into New SmugMug minus JavaScript. To suggest that it would screw your business is an exaggeration. Actually I wonder what specific functionality you're concerned about, is it the sliding sidebar? Because you can do that without JS.
  • Options
    wellsie82wellsie82 Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2013
  • Options
    RedFotoRedFoto Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    I rely on the simple ability to leave comments as a tool with my clients. For instance, before a wedding gallery goes public the bride has a chance to ask for changes to images. Currently, on Legacy, they can easily do so under any photo they want changed. I know for a fact my current customer doesn't use Facebook. She also doesn't have G+, and only uses an old Yahoo account.

Also, when I do corporate work, they can have tight restrictions on what is allowed. Some do not allow the use of G+, or FB, etc..

A solution needs to be forthcoming soon.

I agree 100% Anonymous comment should be allowed and many of my customers are very wary of allowing any Facebok Apps
  • Options
    RedFotoRedFoto Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    I rely on the simple ability to leave comments as a tool with my clients. For instance, before a wedding gallery goes public the bride has a chance to ask for changes to images. Currently, on Legacy, they can easily do so under any photo they want changed. I know for a fact my current customer doesn't use Facebook. She also doesn't have G+, and only uses an old Yahoo account.

Also, when I do corporate work, they can have tight restrictions on what is allowed. Some do not allow the use of G+, or FB, etc..

A solution needs to be forthcoming soon.
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Sorry everyone...no updates to give. We are working on identifying and adding log in through other accounts.

Please allow Anymous Comment when you do work a solution
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2013
    RedFoto wrote: »
    I agree 100% Anonymous comment should be allowed and many of my customers are very wary of allowing any Facebok Apps

We have been complaining about this ever since this was implemented. SM is NOT listening to what the SM community wants. SM has decided that they know what is best for us. Kinda reminds me of our government. SM, please listen to your paying customers and allow us to take the responsibility for comments on our sites.:duel
  • Options
    brooks461brooks461 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2013
    Please allow anonymous comments
    Many of my viewers don't have Facebook accounts or don't want to sign in using them. And since they aren't Smugmug users either, I miss out on any commentary at all. Is there no way to allow me to approve comments, or at least notify me when I log into Smugmug that there's a comment on a particular photo? Surely I don't have to move everything to another host ?
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2013
    Sorry - good luck here on that. They are NOT listening to us, their paying customers. They are trying to deal with our NON-PAYING customers. Have to say many of us are getting fed up over this particular issue that is VERY important to many of us.
  • Options
    J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2013
    wave.gif
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,239 moderator
    edited December 3, 2013
    Bump for a status from smug.

--- Denise
  • Options
    mklabovemklabove Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2013
    Following up on the bump for status - no answer from Smugmug, on an issue raised over 4 months ago. 4 months!

So, . . . Does anyone know if Facebook reimburses companies for using their login?

Keith
  • Options
    guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2013
    mklabove wrote: »
    Following up on the bump for status - no answer from Smugmug, on an issue raised over 4 months ago. 4 months!

So, . . . Does anyone know if Facebook reimburses companies for using their login?

Keith

I've no idea if there is a financial incentive from Facebook to SM but I'm certainly suspicious that there is! Not only for this reason but also for their refusal to add a Google + button but there is a Facebook Like Button!
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2013
    Sorry, no conspiracy here guys :). We are working on it still, but I have no details or further information to share.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2013
    guy wrote: »
    I've no idea if there is a financial incentive from Facebook to SM but I'm certainly suspicious that there is! Not only for this reason but also for their refusal to add a Google + button but there is a Facebook Like Button!

Now you are just talking crazy talk. Puh-lease.
  • Options
    mklabovemklabove Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2013
    Crazy talk? Perhaps, but it got a response at least, even from the Chief Cheerleader. Of course it wasn't the response I had hoped for (after more than 4 months).

It's simple for me - I signed up for a service that included anonymous comments. The removal of that capability has diminished the value of that service for me and my users. I want anonymous comments back. That is all.

Keith
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2013
    it seems like the voting is only one of many factors that determine priority of feature inclusion. Many of the top 10 requests date back 4 years... (shortly after the voting system was launched I think)
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    Now you are just talking crazy talk. Puh-lease.

Nothing crazy about it. It only makes sense. Players to players - who provides the money? Follow the money trail - always! If no one tells it like it is, rumors will prevail. If no one gives a REAL response from SmugMug, then what is thought to be true will become what is thought to be true! At this point, it looks pretty one-sided which gives the appearance of a money transaction or total stupidity. One or the other! Not that I have any particular dog in this fight at the moment...but maybe in the future!:D
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2013
    Nothing crazy about it. It only makes sense. Players to players - who provides the money? Follow the money trail - always! If no one tells it like it is, rumors will prevail. If no one gives a REAL response from SmugMug, then what is thought to be true will become what is thought to be true! At this point, it looks pretty one-sided which gives the appearance of a money transaction or total stupidity. One or the other! Not that I have any particular dog in this fight at the moment...but maybe in the future!:D

You provide the money, right? SmugMug is subscription based. Commentors are required to be logged in for security reasons. That is the truth and it has been said over and over in this and other threads.

The team is working on a solution.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2013
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    ... Commentors are required to be logged in for security reasons...
    And exactly what is security related with this other then hurting someones feeling with bad comments. Comments can be turned off or set for approval if they don't like them.

If it is security related it sounds like some backdoor exists where script or code could enter into site.
    That's SECURITY, not some bad words.

All my family photos are behind a password. That's security and they should not be required to log in somewhere.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    If it is security related it sounds like some backdoor exists where script or code could enter into site.
    Maybe they're worried that someone might break in and fix something :D
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2013
    And exactly what is security related with this other then hurting someones feeling with bad comments.
    Pedofiles leaving disgusting comments on photos of children is a security issue. You may not agree, but that is how we feel. There may be other security reasons as well, but this is the one I am aware of.

Again, the team is working on a solution to this wings.gif
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2013
    Pedofiles leaving disgusting comments on photos of children is a security issue. You may not agree, but that is how we feel. There may be other security reasons as well, but this is the one I am aware of.

Again, the team is working on a solution to this wings.gif
    That has NOTHING to do with security but pure censorship. They can turn comments off or turn on
    approval. It's not up to you to police the internet.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2013
    Hmm... seems to me that you should be employing a content-filter rather than a imposing a ban on external comments. Something akin to Drainware Comments Filter, perhaps?

I have to say that I've been putting pics of my kids online with various photo-hosting providers for well over a decade, and blogging those pics for over eight years, all with open commenting, and not once have I had to deal with any bad comments that have got past the filters that are in place. So, either the filters are good, or I'm just plain lucky, or my kids aren't good-looking ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2013
    That has NOTHING to do with security but pure censorship. They can turn comments off or turn on approval. It's not up to you to police the internet.
    Couldn't agree more, Allen. Well said!