Options

[Completed] Wufoo forms, stat counter & Vimeo

Comments

• Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    Just so you don't think I want this feature for an arbitrary reason, let me explain why I use the visitor paths. As I am sure you're aware advertising on wedding sites can be pricey. When I see someone came from of the services I pay for I like to see just what they do on my site. It's one of the reasons I was so certain I wanted my calendar & map page, because I can SEE that potential clients use it. I can see what galleries are the most popular when they check out my work, and I will then tailor my ad space on the sites they came from by using the more popular images. I also use it to decide who will be getting my money next year. Right now there is one very expensive service that I get hardly any traffic from, and by seeing their visitor paths I also see it's just hits to the main page and not even to my wedding services section. I'm assuming their using a bot so my "hit counts" THEY keep track of look legit.

I'm sorry you're stressing. Come to Madison and I'll take you to some of the best breweries you could imagine:slurp.

I love visitor paths for similar reasons. It is always interesting to me to see where people go on our site, how they get there, even which photos they stop and view larger, etc.
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    Baldy wrote: »
    On the other hand, I just got a demo of the Wufoo forms from Mike and they are cool, and I know a lot of customers want them. He feels he's close to submitting them to QA, maybe tonight.

thumb.gif That's great too :D Wufoo forms are great.

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited August 8, 2013
    BTW, I got an earful on the phone this afternoon from a customer who blames us for not moderating dgrin. I believe her words were, "Some of those people are crazy."
    Baldy -
    That definitely made me smile. I think that customer deserves a thank you!

--- Denise
  • Options
    McQMcQ Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    As happy as I am with the new SM, I'm not exactly sure why we're thanking you, Baldy, for re-implementing something that you shouldn't have taken away in the first place.

headscratch.gif

So, glad to see it coming back, but bad move knocking it out to begin with.
    "Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio, our nation turns its lonely eyes to you?"

http://mcq.smugmug.com
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 9, 2013
    I love visitor paths for similar reasons. It is always interesting to me to see where people go on our site, how they get there, even which photos they stop and view larger, etc.
    Yeah, we definitely get the visitor path benefit. I wish Google Analytics was as convenient for everyone, because it doesn't have the dirty code/performance implications of stat counter. Dana is trying to clean up the statcounter code some, which has various event listeners for the mouse events, etc.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    McQ wrote: »
    As happy as I am with the new SM, I'm not exactly sure why we're thanking you, Baldy, for re-implementing something that you shouldn't have taken away in the first place.

headscratch.gif

So, glad to see it coming back, but bad move knocking it out to begin with.
    McQ, better to take the shots we're taking now than take the shots we would take from you if we had a security breach, which would be 1000 times angrier.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    Yeah, we definitely get the visitor path benefit. I wish Google Analytics was as convenient for everyone, because it doesn't have the dirty code/performance implications of stat counter. Dana is trying to clean up the statcounter code some, which has various event listeners for the mouse events, etc.

Much appreciated :D

• Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    McQ, better to take the shots we're taking now than take the shots we would take from you if we had a security breach, which would be 1000 times angrier.

Hmmm... Back to the security thing again. Is there a risk for people running javascript on legacy smugmug?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    Baldy -
    That definitely made me smile. I think that customer deserves a thank you!

--- Denise
    Don and I have been increasingly kept busy by customers pinging us on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, etc., and we vaguely assumed it was the rise in popularity of those services.

But the feedback is that on dgrin some posters hijack threads with all caps, red fonts, etc., repeating the same things, and that we don't control it as well as facebook, twitter, etc.

The thing is it works against everyone's interests, including the original poster, because our engineers, product managers, etc., tune out if they keep seeing the same posters saying the same thing in threads that don't have to do with that topic.

The strength of forums is topics can persist and you can go deeper and search better to find stuff, so it's a shame to see our customers tune out because we've been lax on moderating. No knock on Bonocore, he's trying to be a gentleman and his job isn't to moderate posts.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Hmmm... Back to the security thing again. Is there a risk for people running javascript on legacy smugmug?
    I think the way I prefer to say it is the way Apple, Google, and Microsoft say it when they release new versions of their browsers: new SmugMug has a more robust security model than legacy SmugMug.

Engineering for security is just as dynamic as engineering to adapt to mobile display devices: it's constantly changing and we're always making changes behind the scenes.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    Thanks for the clarification Chris. I'm trying to understand where Smugmug is going, and why certain decisions are being/have been made, and I'm still struggling to get to grips with it. But then I have zero experience of running a global photo-hosting service.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013

Only miffed, not angry, Baldy. My point was not to expect customers to thank you for being disorganized and causing them trouble. Don't worry, there's still lots love in this relationship.

You guys were the ones who came up with the Wufoo thing in the first place, so it was kind of bizarre that you'd call it a security issue, take it away, and then reinstate it.

My whole point is I'm going to thank you when you do good (i.e. my posts that show how thrilled I am with the site), but don't expect me to thank you when you create problems.

Now get back to the salt mines!
    :whip

• Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    There are endless uses for javascript on smugmug, and there will be more in the future. If smugmug will only implement the most requested ones and has to do each one individually, we'll continually be left in the dust.

I've been using a different analytics tool for many years. I pay for it because i find it far more useful than google analytics or statcounter. But since i've never even seen it mentioned on dgrin, I won't even bother requesting it. It'll never make the cut.

This is just going to keep happening over and over again. Something new will become available, people will start complaining smugmug doesn't support it, and smugmug will promise to support it in the future.

To me, the new smugmug has really helped level the playing field with companies like Zenfolio. So many of the reasons I've stuck with smugmug for the last 7 years have been thrown out the window.

Dave
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 12, 2013
    The Wufoo content block is now available (look in the 'Social' section). Let us know how it's working, or not working, for you.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2013
    Marvellous!will give it a whirl now

Posted from Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2013
    looks good! here's mine:

http://www.paulbrockphotography.co.uk/Contact

I will add that this was the exact time taken to implement an existing Wufoo form onto Smugmug.

4 minutes. Including putting down my tablet and going to my PC to make the change, and a couple of quick tests.

Good work; I still don't think these drag and drop modules can replace full javascript for customisation, but it is a lot easier for the simple stuff :D
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Wow, looks great.

fulfil > fulfill
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    Wow, looks great.

fulfil > fulfill

cheers :) You made me check, but fulfil is the correct Brit English spelling.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2013
    It works!

• Options
    edited August 12, 2013
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    Any update on Statcounter?

• Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    Any update on Statcounter?

I will look into it, but as we mentioned, I believe there is an HTML option for immediate use.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    I will look into it, but as we mentioned, I believe there is an HTML option for immediate use.

I'm using it. It stinks :(

• Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013

It has very limited capabilities. Just saying.
  • Options
    debbiedubdebbiedub Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 18, 2013
    Statcounter Paths
    I just want to chime in that I am really upset over the loss of statcounter and hope it gets fixed soon. The current version is worthless, being able to follow the visitor paths was priceless.
    Darter02 wrote: »
    It has very limited capabilities. Just saying.
  • Options
    JSmockJSmock Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2013

And, as a bunch of us have mentioned, the HTML version of Stat Counter is almost worthless......sorry Michael, I couldn't resist. :D
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    JSmock wrote: »
    And, as a bunch of us have mentioned, the HTML version of Stat Counter is almost worthless......sorry Michael, I couldn't resist. :D

Ha! I left myself open for that. I knew what I was going to hear when I said that. thumb.gif
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 19, 2013
    You can now find StatCounter in your Account Settings, on the Stats tab. Please let us know how it works (or doesn't work) for you.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013
    StatCounter is now available in your Account Settings. thumb.gif