New bulk title/caption/keyword editor extension now available

Comments

• W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2014
    It seems SmugMug has broken Nicholas's extension yet again!
    Please log in to SmugMug
    It looks like you are not currently logged in as the owner of this website. You must log in to your website to use this extension.
    I'm definitely logged in and, just to be sure, I've logged out and back in again.

SmugMug - why do you keep doing this, particularly without any announcement. headscratch.gif
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,005 Major grins
    I used it today to edit captions and keywords and crop thumbs. Must of been something they just changed.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    You really can't blame SmugMug for this one, it broke because I relied on the exact way that their sourcecode was formatted, and today they've tidied that up!

I've now fixed the problem with the release of version 0.4.0.13.

Chrome will auto-update to that version after a few hours, but you can speed it up by updating manually. Click the Chrome main menu button, then Tools -> Extensions. Tick the "developer mode" tickbox at the top right, then click the "Update extensions now" button. You should see the version number next to the "Unofficial SmugMug extension for Chrome" tick over to 0.4.0.13 after a few minutes.
    Thanks Nicholas, all's well now! thumb.gif
  • K MuttK Mutt Registered Users Posts: 3 Big grins
    edited September 26, 2014
    Thank you. Just, thank you.
  • ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2014
    K Mutt wrote: »
    Thank you. Just, thank you.

I echo your sentiments a thousand fold.
    It's funny how important this thread has become:
    When I see someone has posted to it, my heart flutters with, "uh-oh", until I see everything is okay.
    Then when Nicholas says he made a mistake, I do back-flips of happiness.
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    I echo your sentiments a thousand fold.
    It's funny how important this thread has become:
    When I see someone has posted to it, my heart flutters with, "uh-oh", until I see everything is okay.
    Then when Nicholas says he made a mistake, I do back-flips of happiness.

Yup, this has become an absolutely critical tool for me. I have no confidence smugmug is working on improvements to their built in tools so when this breaks, I get scared. I'm not sure how it's possible that Nicholas isn't on smugmug's payroll yet. My whole subscription fee should be going to him because without his extension, there's no way I'd still be with smugmug. And I doubt I'm alone.

Dave
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,718 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2014
    I've been using this for some time now. Works great thumb.gif

THANK YOU !
  • uketeeceeuketeecee Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2014
    Thank you so much, Nick!
  • ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2014
    Won't stop running through my brain:
    Smugmug, Please Buy This Code From Nicholas!":

deal.gif
  • lhitchnerlhitchner Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 7, 2014
    Ihitchner, it sounds like you want to apply the same styling to all of your captions? In that case, you can achieve that by adding one global CSS content block in the customiser, instead of manually editing the HTML for each caption. The CSS would be something like this:
    .sm-lightbox-info, .sm-tile-info {
        color:yellow !important;
        font-size:16px;
        font-weight:bold;
    }

Thanks thenickdude. I figured I was modifying my caption style via brute force and assumed there must be a better way.

But, I am still confused about the CSS I should use, about the SmugMug selector names I should use, and exactly where to place the CSS block. I assume from your example that .sm-tile-info applies to the containers that hold each thumbnail photo and its caption on a gallery page, and that .sm-lightbox-info applies to the full screen display that appears after clicking on a thumbnail. Is that correct? I think SmugMug's extensive use of CSS classes is mind boggling. Using "Inspect Element" in my browser I examined their code and counted at least 20 nested CSS classes that enclose the HTML code for each thumbnail image (sm-tile?). I have no idea what styles are set in each of those classes because I have no idea where there is documentation for all their classes and in what order they are nested (could not find any ref. to documentation using an Internet search).

So, what I did was to put a CSS content block in "All Galleries" directly after the Breadcrumb block. Inside my CSS block I put your recommended HTML code (plus "text-align:center"). But, the result I got wasn't entirely what I hoped for. The captions in the tiles now are yellow, bold, and centered, but the font size is unchanged. On the other hand the captions in the lightboxes are now bold, centered, and the font size is changed, but they are not yellow.

Another puzzling result is that when I use my brute force method to edit every caption via your bulk editing tool and place HTML code in each individual caption, i.e.,
    <center><b style="color:yellow;font-size:16px;">My caption.</b></center>
    the captions in the lightboxes are centered, bold, yellow, size 16, and the text extends the full width of the screen. But, in galleries that I do not insert HTML directly into each caption the text only extends about 1/3 the width of the screen. And, when I remove the <center> ... </center> tags from a caption it is no longer centered (as expected), but then the text only extends about 1/3 across the screen (not as expected).

If you can add further explanation about SmugMug's use of CSS blocks and the classes that use them, and if you can point out any problems with my method described above, I would appreciate it. Also, do you know of any SmugMug docs that describe their CSS blocks and classes?
    edited October 7, 2014
    lhitchner wrote: »
    If you could post a link to the page it would help to see what you're seeing.

In this case is the "page" actually a gallery with photos?
    What style is it in?
    Reason I asked is it seems that the CSS class names might change for every style and page in cluding lightbox..
    edited October 15, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    If you could post a link to the page it would help to see what you're seeing.

In this case is the "page" actually a gallery with photos?
    What style is it in?
    Reason I asked is it seems that the CSS class names might change for every style and page in cluding lightbox..

Here are links to my gallery pages. All of my gallery pages are in "Collage Portrait" style. I tried all of the SmugMug gallery styles and got the same results with each style.

http://lhitchner.smugmug.com/LocalHikes/Pfeifferhorn2014/
    In this gallery I bulk edited every caption and placed
    <center><b style="color:yellow;font-size:16px"> ... </b></center>
    around every caption's text

http://lhitchner.smugmug.com/LocalHikes/RedBaldy2014/
    In this gallery I also bulk edited every caption with the same <center><b ...> ... </b></center> tags,
    except the 1st photo does not have any <center> .. </center> tags

http://lhitchner.smugmug.com/LocalHikes/Albion-and-Mineral-Basins-Aug/
    In this gallery I did not insert <center> or <b> tags in the caption text. The captions are just plain text.

All galleries are affected (I think, i.e., I hope) by my CSS block that I inserted in "All Galleries" (as suggested by thenickdude)

.sm-lightbox-info .sm-tile-info {
    text-align:center;
    }
    edited October 15, 2014
    Why not just use this instead of any html in a caption?

.sm-lightbox-caption,
    .sm-tile-caption {
    }
  • MsMarnieceMsMarniece Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2014
    Hey! I utilized this feature just so that when my images are pinned on pinterest the title and keywords come with it.. But NOW all of that is showing under my images in the collage gallery even though show files names is turned off! lol HELP?
  • MsMarnieceMsMarniece Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2014
    found it
    .sm-tile-info { display: none; }
  • flyingwolfflyingwolf Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2014
    How did I just find out about this, and more importantly, how is there only 2 users of the program!

This is awesome!
  • thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2014
    edited October 22, 2014
    A few more than 2! Current total according to the Chrome store is 278 users :).
    And the other 50,000 users that need it haven't discovered it yet! :D
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,165 moderator
    edited October 22, 2014
    I use Nick's extension every day now. Best tool out there.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited October 22, 2014
    David_S85 wrote: »
    I use Nick's extension every day now. Best tool out there.
    Once in any day is very light usage for me! mwink.gif
  • James LyallJames Lyall Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2014
    I cannot sing highly enough of Nick's altruistic contribution. I use it almost every time that I edit my site.
    Thank you yet again, Nick.
    edited November 2, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    Why not just use this instead of any html in a caption?

.sm-lightbox-caption,
    .sm-tile-caption {
    }

Thanks, Allen. I did not use .sm-lightbox-caption and .sm-tile-caption because I did not know those CSS names existed because SM has soooo many CSS's and as far as I can tell they are not documented anywhere.

However, now that I have followed your suggestion I have ALMOST gotten the results I want, but not quite. The text-align:center; property DOES center the caption text under each tile. But for lightboxes the captions appear to be centered with respect to a width that appears to be only about 1/3 to 1/2 the width of the lightbox. But, when I place explicit HTML in a caption such as <center> ... </center> the caption is centered under a lightbox using almost the full screen width. So, it seems there must be some other property that controls the lightbox's caption width. I tried using width:100%, and that had no effect.

For comparison you can look at my photos in these galleries:

http://lhitchner.smugmug.com/LocalHikes/Pfeifferhorn2014/ -- these captions include no HTML and rely only upon properties in the CSS's. The captions are NOT CENTERED CORRECTLY under the lightboxes, but they have all the correct properties according to those set in the .sm-lightbox-caption CSS.

http://lhitchner.smugmug.com/LocalHikes/RedBaldy2014/ -- these captions include HTML <center> ... </center> tags. The captions ARE CENTERED CORRECTLY under the lightboxes but appear to have ignored all the properties set in the .sm-lightbox-caption CSS.

http://lhitchner.smugmug.com/LocalHikes/SilverForkHoneycombAug312014/ -- these captions include HTML <center><b style="color:yellow;font-size:16px;"> ... </b></center> tags. The captions ARE CENTERED CORRECTLY under the lightboxes, and they have all the correct properties as those set in the .sm-lightbox-caption CSS.
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited November 4, 2014
    lhitchner wrote: »
    http://lhitchner.smugmug.com/LocalHikes/Pfeifferhorn2014/ -- these captions include no HTML and rely only upon properties in the CSS's. The captions are NOT CENTERED CORRECTLY under the lightboxes, but they have all the correct properties according to those set in the .sm-lightbox-caption CSS.

You can use this CSS to make the caption fill the width and properly center:
    /* Make the captions wider and properly centered on the page */
    .sm-lightbox-basic .sm-lightbox-ft-center .sm-lightbox-info>p {
    max-width: none !important;
    }

Update: I see the difference between the 3 galleries now. You should no longer need to put any HTML or CSS within your captions if you use the above CSS code with the ones you already have. Let me know if you have any problems.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
    edited November 7, 2014
    leftquark wrote: »
    You can use this CSS to make the caption fill the width and properly center:
    /* Make the captions wider and properly centered on the page */
    .sm-lightbox-basic .sm-lightbox-ft-center .sm-lightbox-info>p {
    max-width: none !important;
    }

Update: I see the difference between the 3 galleries now. You should no longer need to put any HTML or CSS within your captions if you use the above CSS code with the ones you already have. Let me know if you have any problems.

leftquark: Woo Hoo!!! Yipee, that worked great! Thank you very much. wings.gif
    edited November 7, 2014
    When using the crop thumbnail tool it would be real nice if a thumb showed the current crop. Perhaps a "Ti" off in the corner.
    Especially useful after some have previously been cropped so they can be skipped. Now you have to keep jumping in
    and out of the gallery or use the Smug tool for singles.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,165 moderator
    edited November 13, 2014
    I'll add a request for Nick here. In galleries where there are hidden photos, would it be possible to have those thumbs be tagged as such in the bulk editing tool? We could then more easily ignore adding titles, captions and keywords to those photos.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2014
    Great tool, but what I really want is a way to send the new titles, captions and keywords back down to Lightroom.
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited November 20, 2014
    synature wrote: »
    Great tool, but what I really want is a way to send the new titles, captions and keywords back down to Lightroom.

If you're sync'ing/publishing with LR/SM then any changes in SM should be sync'd down to LR.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2014
    leftquark wrote: »
    If you're sync'ing/publishing with LR/SM then any changes in SM should be sync'd down to LR.

I thought it was only from LR to SM. I did a test and have started a new thread.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1979047#post1979047
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.