New bulk title/caption/keyword editor extension now available

Comments

• leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

Can you send me a link to an example where the original was cropped? We shouldn’t be touching those and should still have your original

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,005 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2019

These crops were done using the Chrome extension.
    Just uploaded backup original back to gallery. See No. 2 & 4 in gallery. They are the original photos that were cropped to No.1 & 6 in gallery, bad originals now.

Have to dig out USB drive for No.1 in gallery.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited August 6, 2019

See photos 3, 4 and 5
    6 is new upload testing Smug crop, looks like it worked but waiting to see if it holds.

2 & 4 are now the good photos uploaded new from backup.

@thenickdude said:
    I've updated to fix this now! I've posted the details in that linked thread.

Do you have a quick summary on what caused the need for a fix? (curious if it was an API change)

dGrin Afficionado
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations

@Allen said:
    Warning, just cropped two photo thumbnails to 1x1 and the original also was cropped 1x1. Yipe!!!!
    Smug did pick up the changes.
    Smugmug style gallery.

Did you use the Crop tool (within the Image Tools)? Or were you using the Crop Thumbnail tool? If you used the Crop tool, then it's expected behavior that it changes your originals. The Crop Thumbnail tool should not be impacting your originals, and if it is, I'd want to immediately fix.

dGrin Afficionado
    edited August 6, 2019

Crop tool under wrench "open in editor" crops the original. Used the crop thumbnail tool under the wrench.
    I know all about the "crop" tool but have rarely used it.

Edit: just tested crop thumbnail under wrench and it worked.

@Allen said:
    Crop tool under wrench "open in editor" crops the original. Used the crop thumbnail tool under the wrench.
    I know all about the "crop" tool but have rarely used it.

So just to confirm: You used only used the Crop Thumbnail tool and it cropped your original?
    On photo 1, for example, I see both a Crop and a Crop Thumbnail event when i look at our logs.

dGrin Afficionado
    edited August 6, 2019

I only use the crop thumbnail under wrench not "open in editor".

This was right after cropping in the Chrome ext.

The original crop is over in the right sidebar. Did not use that one.

I have not checked the thumbnail crop for some time. It has not been working.
    In the past after cropping thumbnail/s they would revert back to un-cropped after a few hours.

Think I'm confused. The only thumbnail cropping I did was with the Chrome extension, 2 thumbs. Only after back in Firefox I noticed the bad originals. Then I tried one with the Smug crop on a new dup upload which worked.

edited August 6, 2019

Just happened again. Using Chrome extension. Uploaded new dup, bulk cropped thumbs, 1st in gallery. Now have 1x1 original.
    Looks like extension using wrong class names maybe.
    Edit: now show 2 examples. See No.5. Rotated original before cropping in extension.

Sounds like a bug in the extension. Is that nick’s extension?

dGrin Afficionado
    edited August 6, 2019

Yes, Nick's.
    BTW, back to gallery doesn't work either.

• thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins

@leftquark said:
    Do you have a quick summary on what caused the need for a fix? (curious if it was an API change)

It looks like the SmugMug "token" (CSRF token) API now requires the APIKey to be passed to it, which I was not supplying before.

There was a problem introduced with the current version of Chrome (https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=966223) that broke the Origin header that my extension sends, which also caused SmugMug's CSRF protection to be triggered. Luckily there is still a workaround available for that.

edited August 6, 2019

@Allen said:
    These crops were done using the Chrome extension.
    Just uploaded backup original back to gallery. See No. 2 & 4 in gallery. They are the original photos that were cropped to No.1 & 6 in gallery, bad originals now.

Have to dig out USB drive for No.1 in gallery.

For cropping SM-gallery style thumbnails my extension sends you over to SmugMug's old "crop.mg" tool like so:

"/photos/tools/crop.mg?...&tool=newthumb&..."

It looks like SmugMug has removed that "newthumb" tool, so you're now getting their generic photo cropping tool instead. This probably happened back when they added the ability to crop the thumbnail in their own interface.

I've removed that link from my menu now so this doesn't happen to anybody else! Version 0.4.8 should be available for update in about 30 minutes.

I spent the rest of yesterday using the Smugmug thumbnail crop tool cropping almost 300 photos. It looked like it was finally working. But this morning I checked and EVERY crop has reverted back to the original 1x1.

I hope you get your tool working and it doesn't carry the same bug that Smugmug's does.

I don't have a crop thumbnail tool, it only ever sent you to use SmugMug's, which appears to no longer exist.

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,165 moderator
    edited August 8, 2019

@thenickdude said:
    I don't have a crop thumbnail tool, it only ever sent you to use SmugMug's, which appears to no longer exist.

And yet, I can still see it in the existing (but perhaps not for very long) Lightbox under Tools, and it seems to work just fine, and it doesn't permanently wreck the photo.

Also, thanks, Nick, for addressing the SM changes and updating your Chrome plug-in so quickly. It is all I have used since SM dropped their bulk caption/keyword function some years ago.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited August 8, 2019

Smugmug still has the crop thumbnail tool and it works great. Only one problem, all the cropped thumbs revert back to original after some time. They are looking into it now.

I did play with the caption edit some, working great now.

• huseyinhuseyin Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins

Thank you so much for reminding us about this extension, I was dreading the day I had to go back and caption my photos which I forgot to do before uploading them, this will make it amazingly easy again.
    Is it going to be possible to use this tool to filter videos only? I've been asking Smugmug to give us option to filter videos but there was no interest. Maybe this tool can help somehow? Or does anyone know if there is a wildcard in search that displays all images, so we can hit videos filter in search section to see them?

My smugmug still under construction & organization with 17,000 images and counting... meanwhile check my Flickr
    edited August 14, 2019

Nick, the recent fixes you made to the extension has broken the ability to edit captions, titles and keywords in older versions of Chrome. Any way to make it work both in the newest Chrome (which I can't run on an older Mac) and also older Chrome versions?

I didn't install the newest extension; the one I have been using for years simply stopped loading.

I've been forced to use a text editor and SM's photo by photo text box tool.

My Smugmug

It is old. 49.0.2623.112

My Smugmug

This should now be fixed in new version 0.4.9 which will be available for update in about 30 minutes from this post!

edited August 14, 2019

Hmmmm. Still getting "Please wait while the photos from this gallery are loaded..."

Some other functions of the extension do work, just not the caption/title/keyword. :-(

My Smugmug

Double check that the extension version on the settings page has updated to 0.4.9

Mine is currently 0.4.8

Does it update automatically, or should I delete it and try to DL the new version? My Chrome is old enough to get a little weird on me if I try to use new extensions.

My Smugmug

Chrome updates all extensions automatically in the background (eventually), but you can hurry it along by ticking the "developer mode" button on the Extensions page, then click the "update extensions now" button that appears.

• ccraftccraft Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins

So happy to see this feature come to life! Thank you!

Christina Craft - FunkyTown Photography
    portrait and wedding photographer Victoria BC
    C-2529 Vancouver St, Victoria · 360-775-2539