New bulk title/caption/keyword editor extension now available

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,165 moderator
    edited January 12, 2016
    Noticing that I no longer need to refresh the page before doing bulk editing. This now saves another step.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • blueharmonyblueharmony Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2016
    I don't add keywords in SM because I want the keywords to be saved with my photos (is it in the IPICT or EXIF info?) I was told by SM support, and verified myself, that keywords added using SM's tools are not downloaded when downloading photos. This means that if I want to migrate my pics to another service, or download them to search locally on my pc, that any amount of time I spend using SM's tools to add or modify keywords is wasted.

bummed out by that. I would like a way to choose to make my keywords added in SM to be stuck with the pics.
  • BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2016
    I don't add keywords in SM because I want the keywords to be saved with my photos (is it in the IPICT or EXIF info?) I was told by SM support, and verified myself, that keywords added using SM's tools are not downloaded when downloading photos. This means that if I want to migrate my pics to another service, or download them to search locally on my pc, that any amount of time I spend using SM's tools to add or modify keywords is wasted.

bummed out by that. I would like a way to choose to make my keywords added in SM to be stuck with the pics.

You might want to vote for this feature request:
    http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/12248427-provide-a-complete-site-wide-image-backup-function
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • blueharmonyblueharmony Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2016
    BigRed wrote: »

Thanks and Done BigRed.

However, I'm not confident that this will ever make it on to the Smugmug roadmap or see the production system based on how long other features with many more votes have been languishing in backlog.
  • huseyinhuseyin Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2016
    Hey everyone,

I've now completed a replacement for the old SmugMug Legacy "bulk edit" tool, which allows you to see all of the photos in your gallery on one screen, and make quick bulk edits to photos automatically. You can get this tool as part of my Unofficial SmugMug Extension for Chrome, version 0.4.0.7, which you can install from the Chrome Web Store:

After installing it, go into the gallery you want to edit, then click the SM icon at the right side of your address bar to pop up the menu (if you're using a custom domain, it'll ask you to give permission first):

Choose the option to "Bulk-edit photo details", and the editor will load:

You can freely edit the text in the boxes, or if you like you can use the "make bulk edits" menu at the right to apply edits to many photos at once. When you're happy with what you see, click the "save changes" button at the top right to save your edits to SmugMug.

Also new in this version of the extension is the ability to use it on your custom SmugMug domain name (instead of having to switch to your .smugmug.com one).

Note that the location of the "SM" icon has shifted outside of the address bar in this version, it is now found to the right of the address bar.

If you prefer to use the old Legacy SmugMug version of the bulk edit tool, you can launch it by holding down the shift key on your keyboard when you click the SM-menu option to launch the bulk editor.

Hi thenickdude,
    Thank you very much for this amazing tool.

I made a big mistake when I was doing everything by hand, and instead of putting keywords, I put them in Title, therefore they don't show up in keyword cloud.
    Would it be possible, if not too much trouble, for you to add a function to copy/replicate the info from Title field to Keyword field?
    My smugmug still under construction & organization with 17,000 images and counting... meanwhile check my Flickr
    edited June 3, 2016

I am not planning to move to another server, but I remember there was a downloader tool that I used long time ago which allowed you to download images with keywords as file name or something related to that, that was probably over 5 yrs ago.

Also, It's fair for SM not to allow you to do this in bulk, but at least they should allow individual downloads to include keywords in IPCT. There is also another possibility why this is not allowed, they claim they are not touching the originals, so you are actually downloading what you uploaded.

As for migrating, I think this would be the job of the other service provider/host to accomplish, for example their servers to log into SM and read then add the keywords to the pictures if they want your/our business.
    My smugmug still under construction & organization with 17,000 images and counting... meanwhile check my Flickr
  • max:Pmax:P Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2016
    Hey everyone,

I've now completed a replacement for the old SmugMug Legacy "bulk edit" tool, which allows you to see all of the photos in your gallery on one screen, and make quick bulk edits to photos automatically. You can get this tool as part of my Unofficial SmugMug Extension for Chrome, version 0.4.0.7, which you can install from the Chrome Web Store:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/unofficial-smugmug-extens/acobflahofemoblocddilbgnokclnphd

After installing it, go into the gallery you want to edit, then click the SM icon at the right side of your address bar to pop up the menu (if you're using a custom domain, it'll ask you to give permission first):

pQp90hlh.jpg

Choose the option to "Bulk-edit photo details", and the editor will load:

0uwq1PK.jpg

You can freely edit the text in the boxes, or if you like you can use the "make bulk edits" menu at the right to apply edits to many photos at once. When you're happy with what you see, click the "save changes" button at the top right to save your edits to SmugMug.

Also new in this version of the extension is the ability to use it on your custom SmugMug domain name (instead of having to switch to your .smugmug.com one).

Note that the location of the "SM" icon has shifted outside of the address bar in this version, it is now found to the right of the address bar.

If you prefer to use the old Legacy SmugMug version of the bulk edit tool, you can launch it by holding down the shift key on your keyboard when you click the SM-menu option to launch the bulk editor.

Hi Nicholas,

I have run into a problem with smugmug and found your extension as a possible solution.

I found your thread on Dgrin but it’s really doesn’t explain if I can do a full site clean up.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=247592

Here is a link of my keywords….

http://www.maximilianimaging.com/keyword

As you can see, this would take hours and hours to clean up given smugmug no longer offers a bulk edit solution.

Can you tell me if it’s possible to do a bulk edit of my entire site and remove all of the numeric keywords in one stroke?

I will appreciate any advise you can offer.

Many thanks,
    Max
    edited November 11, 2016
    After the update to new system, I realized my old photos and new photos have the information in different places, one set would have them in keywords/titles, the other in captions only..

Can SM find a way to fix this for us? Or can I use a 3rd party script to copy whatever is on captions to titles or keywords for example? Or at least an option in the Chrome extension to Copy and Paste selected pictures keywords to captions or titles to captions or captions to keywords, etc.
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2016
    max:P wrote: »
    Hi Nicholas,

I have run into a problem with smugmug and found your extension as a possible solution.

I found your thread on Dgrin but it’s really doesn’t explain if I can do a full site clean up.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=247592

Here is a link of my keywords….

http://www.maximilianimaging.com/keyword

As you can see, this would take hours and hours to clean up given smugmug no longer offers a bulk edit solution.

Can you tell me if it’s possible to do a bulk edit of my entire site and remove all of the numeric keywords in one stroke?

I will appreciate any advise you can offer.

Many thanks,
    Max

The plugin isn't going to let you clean up multiple galleries at once, but with smart use of smart galleries, you can probably get it done pretty quickly.

I replied to you in another thread, but i'll describe the process here too...

I see you use some pretty generic keywords that apply to a lot of the photos that need fixing. Like "2015" or "interiors."

Make a smart gallery (you only need one, just keep editing it) to include all photos with one keyword that will apply to as many photos as possible.

Then you can use this chrome plugin to remove all the numeric keywords from that smart gallery at once.

Edit the smart gallery to another highly used keyword and repeat. You'll kill off those pesky numeric keywords very quickly.

But since some of your photos use years as keywords, be aware you'll lose those too. You could temporarily edit each year keyword in the same method using smart gallery. Like make a smart gallery for the keyword 2016, then edit that keyword to "year 2016." The extension does not remove the numbers from keywords that contain letters and numbers. Then once you've finished removing all numeric keywords from your site, go back and change "year 2016" back to 2016.

There are likely a lot of ways to do this with varying degrees of efficiency. The hard part is figuring out how to do it in the least number of steps. Good luck!

Dave
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2016
    huseyin wrote: »
    After the update to new system, I realized my old photos and new photos have the information in different places, one set would have them in keywords/titles, the other in captions only..

Can SM find a way to fix this for us? Or can I use a 3rd party script to copy whatever is on captions to titles or keywords for example? Or at least an option in the Chrome extension to Copy and Paste selected pictures keywords to captions or titles to captions or captions to keywords, etc.

I don't think you'll find a way to do this within smugmug or the chrome extension, but it can be done in Lightroom if you happen to use that already. You'll need a plugin called LR/Transporter. If you haven't already been using lightroom, this probably isn't going to be helpful.

Dave
    edited November 21, 2016
    pilotdave wrote: »
    I don't think you'll find a way to do this within smugmug or the chrome extension, but it can be done in Lightroom if you happen to use that already. You'll need a plugin called LR/Transporter. If you haven't already been using lightroom, this probably isn't going to be helpful.

Dave

Thanks Dave,
    No I don't use LR, but if that is the only way to fix this/achieve what I want to do, I wouldn't mind getting it or trying it. I did not realize SM moved things around or added more fields to each picture when I was adding info to recent pictures. Would there be a way to get a list of all pictures tags/keywords, captions and titles so I can see which ones are missing which fields?
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,005 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2016

The Chrome extension "Bulk Thumbnail Cropping" is not working. Here's an example of first two photos in the gallery showing the newly cropped thumbs. The cropped thumb is good but the main photo has been corrupted.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/Birds/2016-Birding/Birding-2016-December/2016-12-27-RMBS/i-WrK65PS

I just uploaded new originals, shown next to each bad one. Looks like the original photo is being cropped
    along with its thumb.
    Edit: added another original 1st in gallery and cropped it using Smug tool. Turned out normal.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins

It looks like the old "crop thumbnail" tool that I was linking to no longer exists, it just crops the image instead. I'll remove that feature from my menu.

@thenickdude said:
    It looks like the old "crop thumbnail" tool that I was linking to no longer exists, it just crops the image instead. I'll remove that feature from my menu.

I hope not, many are using your tool because it's so much more efficient then Smugs. Can it not be fixed?

I was just linking to a tool on SmugMug's site that dated back to Old SmugMug, looks like it has been retired now (I'm honestly surprised it lasted this long).

Remind me what the Bulk Thumbnail cropping tool looked like. Could most of it be replicated by adding a "save thumbnail and go to next image" button to New SmugMug's thumbnail cropping feature?

edited December 30, 2016

That was by far the biggest improvement, save and go to next. Saved a whole bunch of steps.
    Plus you knew where you were, Smug gives no indication of what photo you just did. Completely lost.
    Never could get you to add "freeze ratio" when continuing.

@thenickdude said:
    I was just linking to a tool on SmugMug's site that dated back to Old SmugMug, looks like it has been retired now (I'm honestly surprised it lasted this long).

Actually the same old tool is still in the tools menu and I just used it a bunch.

@thenickdude said:
    Where's that menu, I can't seem to find it?

Wrench under main photo in Smugmug style, Other styles wrench in lightbox.

That only seems to bring up the new thumbnail cropping tool for me, which doesn't have the "forward and back" buttons the old tool did.

@thenickdude said:
    That only seems to bring up the new thumbnail cropping tool for me, which doesn't have the "forward and back" buttons the old tool did.

That is the tool they changed to some time ago. You're right, they dumbed it down and is why I thought you created the one for chrome.

edited January 17, 2017

@thenickdude said:

Can you check it again? It looks like Smug fixed their crop thumbnail tool.

Really, what URL are you seeing that old crop tool at? The URLs I was using were like this:

http://atsmith.smugmug.com/photos/tools/crop.mg?ImageID=67372448&ImageKey=zmJ54CV&tool=newthumb

That still seems to be showing the old "crop photo" tool rather than the "crop thumbnail" one for me.

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,165 moderator
    edited January 17, 2017

Is this it?

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

@thenickdude said:
    Really, what URL are you seeing that old crop tool at? The URLs I was using were like this:

http://atsmith.smugmug.com/photos/tools/crop.mg?ImageID=67372448&ImageKey=zmJ54CV&tool=newthumb

That still seems to be showing the old "crop photo" tool rather than the "crop thumbnail" one for me.

That tool is really old, David_S85 is showing the current one from new Smug.

• ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins

<3<3<3 Nick I just have to say I am so so glad you are still on Digital Grin. SM account owners just do not realize how golden your tool is - but the moment they need to do something, heartfelt gratitude pours out. <3<3<3

• sittingstillsittingstill Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins

Sorry to bump such a long-dormant thread, but I am an ENORMOUSLY grateful user of this extension, and am a bit anxious to report that I've been getting an error message on it recently ("Failed to connect to your SmugMug site! Please press refresh to try again." but refreshing doesn't help). This happened a few months back as well and went away; more recently it would sometimes ask me to reload the SmugMug page and click the button again, but that was easy enough. Not sure if things are being tweaked in SM or in Chrome but I'd be grateful for any advice on what fixes this!

I've updated to fix this now! I've posted the details in that linked thread.

edited August 6, 2019

Warning, just cropped two photo thumbnails to 1x1 and the original also was cropped 1x1. Yipe!!!!
    Smug did pick up the changes.
    Smugmug style gallery.

Photos 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 in this gallery.
    https://www.photosbyat.com/Birds/Missouri-Bird-Photos-A-G
    Also have to redo the watermarks to correct years because originals were changed.

Currently going back through USB backups looking for originals.
    Edit: found and uploaded