Adobe CS2

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited January 17, 2006 in Finishing School
I have to buy one, my illegal one died, and that is what I told adobe, so no secret.

I cannot do any phototography right now.

The only thing I have on my computer right now, windows XP, is CS2 illegal, it crashes my PC. So no more photogrpahy.

I only have 150.00 right now as of tomorrow. MOre after taxes, early Feb. I don't want ultimately less that CS2.

I do have a legal registration number from Elements years ago, 2.0 or something. That will make the upgrade from Adobe cost 499.00. Other places say all upgrades????

One thing I need to know is about the upgrade. I have the serial number but no actual program on my computer. Is the actual program needed. The reason for that is all the crashes.

I am sick and going to bed.

please get back to me.

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I have to buy one, my illegal one died, and that is what I told adobe, so no secret.

I cannot do any phototography right now.

The only thing I have on my computer right now, windows XP, is CS2 illegal, it crashes my PC. So no more photogrpahy.

I only have 150.00 right now as of tomorrow. MOre after taxes, early Feb. I don't want ultimately less that CS2.

I do have a legal registration number from Elements years ago, 2.0 or something. That will make the upgrade from Adobe cost 499.00. Other places say all upgrades????

One thing I need to know is about the upgrade. I have the serial number but no actual program on my computer. Is the actual program needed. The reason for that is all the crashes.

I am sick and going to bed.

please get back to me.

ginger

the illegal one crashed on your computer??eek7.gif

thats weird.... works fine on mine.rolleyes1.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    Hope you feel better soon.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited December 29, 2005
    Bummer. :uhoh I can't imagine what could have caused it to "die." Perhaps you could ask someone who is tech-savvy to look at your machine. The problem may not have anything to do with PS and be fixable.

If it has indeed gone to bit heaven, there are a few things you could do to keep shooting while you save for a new CS2 license. Adobe lets you download a trial copy of CS2 which is good for a month. I think this is a full featured copy, but I haven't done it myself, so I wouldn't swear to it. My guess is that you could get Adobe to honor your Elements license and get the discount even if it is not on your machine. Talk to their customer support and see what they say.

If you are used to PS, then it would be a waste of time for you to try to learn most of the free products out there. Assuming you shoot RAW, one exception might be Raw Shooter Essentials. Lots of people (including myself) like it a lot. You wouldn't be able to do everything that PS can do, but you could at least do the initial sorting and RAW conversion steps. You could save the intermediate results and finish them when you get PS or CS2 up and running.

Just a few suggestions.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    We don't need to be discussing how Ginger can repair her damaged and illegal copy of Photoshop. DGrin is about having clean, legal fun. If you have a nice, clean legal way of helping Ginger get a copy of CS2, speak up. Otherwise...move along...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    geesh,what a "Windows" party pooperlol3.gif

Your rightthumb.gif
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    We don't need to be discussing how Ginger can repair her damaged and illegal copy of Photoshop. DGrin is about having clean, legal fun. If you have a nice, clean legal way of helping Ginger get a copy of CS2, speak up. Otherwise...move along...
    Yes, but the real issue is that Photoshop won't load, illegal or not. If she buys a real copy, it may still not work, and she'll be out 500$, and still won't have a solved problem.

I think we can help her fix her current problem as long as she makes a new year's resolution to buy a legal copy as soon as she can afford it.

Right? mwink.gif
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited December 29, 2005
    I think we can help her fix her current problem as long as she makes a new year's resolution to buy a legal copy as soon as she can afford it.

Right? mwink.gif

No, we can't.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    It kept saying "programming error", then the PC would turn off. CRASH

I will pay 500.00 plus my old registration number on my orig elements.

Elements is no longer on my computer. Nothing legal is on my computer from adobe, but they have that record of elements.

Do I need a working legal version of Adobe on my computer to upgrade? Does the upgrade use that orig???? Or is it self sustaining?

I am trying to get the money, it may take a month.

Anyone know of discounts for retired military? I can't find any. How about AARP?

Those are my questions.

ginger

(I have already used the trial a few months ago, they wouldn;t let me use it again.)
    edited December 29, 2005
    Listen, I am all for illegal, etc. My morals are in the gutter most of the time. But my brain holds me up.

Times are changing!

I am afraid of the illegal stuff right now. If you have it, I would not mention it. I would make plans to replace it with legal when feasable. I was going to do this in a month, but my hand has been...........whatever.

I may be out of business for a month, but I am not going to waste more money on illegal. Not while Adobe is on the warpath.

I did not mention, I shut up, as soon as I realized that my "supplier" had been arrested. I would advise others to do the same.

Now it doesn't matter. I can no longer hurt myself. So I came out of the closet.

But next time I want to be recognized by Adobe.

ginger (I am sick, I mean SiCK, fever, chills, etc.)

Could you please tell me if I can run an upgrade on my PC w/o the product it is being upgraded from. It is all legal, just a little vague.) I have changed computers since then.
  • robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    For about $75 you can find Elements 4, pretty decent but if you like the tools of CS2 you might be disappointed. Another solution is to buy the educational version of CS2, I have CS2 Premium Suite, $400 from a local school. Since I'm not a professional and still going to school I don't think paying $1,300 for CS2 is worth the extra cost.

You can also try using Gimp, it's free and has some Photoshop-like tools.

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Adobe lets you download a trial copy of CS2 which is good for a month.

Great idea, RS!
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    Your Photoshop may be crashing because the license number you used may be rejected by Adobe. This can happen for many reasons, such as when you download updates etc. I have seen illegal copies stop working on one machine because the same license number was used on another (illegal) machine. If you have Macs on a local network, you can not even install Adobe products with the same license #...so I know this software is checking the codes.

It may be as simple as that: get a legal code and reinstall and you will be back in business.
    edited December 29, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Could you please tell me if I can run an upgrade on my PC w/o the product it is being upgraded from. It is all legal, just a little vague.) I have changed computers since then.

Ginger, I'm not *positive*, but I think all they want is a valid serial number as proof of ownership. No need to have the app installed.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    Ginger,

For what it is worth. I have a very legal non-registered copy of PSE2, never been on a PC, so if you need it (if there s a problem with your PSE2) you are welcome to it.
    edited December 29, 2005
    Thanks, Thusie! I am really going to go with CS2, if I have to wait, well, darn!

I don't know where people get the ideas they do..............just reading this is enough to go nuts.

I have repeated over and over that I already used the free trial prior to getting my illegal copy. I am not going to be able to do it again.

The NEW version is 600.00, not 1300.00, unless there is something I don't know like pro vs home.

I will be paying Adobe 500.00, that is really 499.00 for the upgrade using the serial number, registration number, whatever, from my elements 2 way back when.

So,

1) I want CS2
    2) I am upgrading to legal Adobe using old numbers from my Elements, as on file with ADobe.
    3) I have already used the free trial.
    4) (I may try to use it again, but I bet it won't work.)
    5) Thanks, David for trying to answer my question there at the end, and thanks, Susie for your offer.

6) I am still sick, but medicated.

ginger
  • LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    legal copy or not... the software should not cause the computer to shut down as you state.

I think you should investigate your PC and see if there is any other flaws or bugs going on.

If it is an illegal version of CS2 the application should crash, or not load all together with some sort of error message. But having it shut down the computer is beyond what should be happening.

I would run a virus scan and or system check just to be sure.

Steven
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 29, 2005
    If all you get hit with is buying a copy of software, you are extremely lucky.
    Pay your money and move on.

Ginger, asking for help with an illegal copy of software is a no-no.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited December 29, 2005
    I NEVER EVER ASKED FOR HELP WITH ILLEGAL SOFTWARE!

EVER! PEOPLE KEPT OFFERING IT, I was refusing it!!!!!!!

GEEZ, why can't people read. I am sick, I have no way to work up photos, and I am being accused of things I never did. I was asking for help installing legal software because of a problem!

FYI, I have no viruses, just ran MCAffee, added every bit of protection AOL offers, ran it and have no spy ware.

But I NEVER EVER did what anyone seems to think I did.

CRA&

ginger (JUST READ, people read!)
    edited December 29, 2005
    ian408 wrote:

Ian, are you high? ...read closer...Ginger's asking for help in getting legal. The help that was offered was around getting her current, illegal copy working. *That's* the no-no. Ginger's just trying to rehabilitate!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Ian, are you high? ...

lol3.gif been hangin around across the hall in the "other" forum, David naughty.gif
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    ian408 wrote:

This is what happens when someone reads the first post and then replies... rolleyes1.gif
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited December 29, 2005
    This is what happens when someone reads the first post and then replies... rolleyes1.gif

In Ian's defense, this *is* a very serious issue.

Even if you aren't personally ethically opposed to pirating software, the legal ramifications should be enough to scare you off.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 30, 2005
    Ginger,

Your (or anyone else) using cracked copies of software is wrong. And
    asking others to help you "fix" it is equally wrong. The solution was provided
    to you by Adobe. Buy a copy. If you don't have the money for CS2, there
    are alternatives. That copy of Elements you own is one. A copy of The
    GIMP is another.

Sorry, but you'll get no sympathy from me. Why? Because using illegal copies
    of software drives the cost of licensed copies up and makes software much
    more of a pain in the ass to use as companies work to further "protect"
    their intellectual property from thieves.

If you object to the cost, don't buy the software or find something else to
    use.
    edited December 30, 2005

I read the entire thread.

Sorry, but software piracy is a serious issue.
    edited December 30, 2005
    I didn't ask anyone to fix it. David and I were both saying that was the wrong answer.

I bet you have done nothing wrong in your life, Ian!
    What I am for or against morally, I did warn everyone not to buy the stuff and to get replace any they might have ASAP.

Damn!

I did not ask anyone to fix it. I think you speed read it.

I don't want it fixed. I don't think that is a reliable solution for one. You have your thoughts, I will have mine, but please don't accuse me of something I didn't do or ask for.

ginger
    edited December 30, 2005
    IAN, I don't have a copy of elements, I have a serial number, provided by Adobe of a copy of elements I had on another computer.

I have dealt with this all evening. But I have never considered buying, nor suggested buying, to anyone, an illegal copy of this software now in the current market. You might not like the way I put that.

Well, quit mis quoting me.

g
    edited December 30, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    IAN, I don't have a copy of elements, I have a serial number, provided by Adobe of a copy of elements I had on another computer.

I have dealt with this all evening. But I have never considered buying, nor suggested buying, to anyone, an illegal copy of this software now in the current market. You might not like the way I put that.

Well, quit mis quoting me.

g

Ginger, I did not mis-quote you.

Ian
    edited December 30, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    In Ian's defense, this *is* a very serious issue.

Even if you aren't personally ethically opposed to pirating software, the legal ramifications should be enough to scare you off.

For a business, the cost is generally 2x the retail price plus legal fees. It
    could be more if you refuse to pay. PS CS2 retails (at Amazon) for $629.
    Plus you can probably expect to pay another thousand for attorney's fees
    (theirs, not yours).

Best case, you are looking at a couple of thousand dollars if you are caught
    and you are not charged with a criminal offence.
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    hey G I have a copy of elements 3 .I p/u 4 I will sell you 3 cheap maybe this is lllegal but so is stolen watermellon but that taste really good :D
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    Ginger,

With the elaborate authorzation system that CS2 has, there's no telling what strange things could be happening when you try to install and run an improperly authorized copy. As others have said, if you want to get CS2 working, you're going to have to purchase it and get it registered & authorized.

Since you say you can't afford to purchase CS2 at this time, we need to find a way to get you up and running with something for the short term. If I were you, I'd uninstall any & all copies of Photoshop (and Elements for that matter). Then I'd go back and reinstall the latest copy of Elements that you know you have all the install codes for.