Adobe CS2

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    jwear wrote:
    hey G I have a copy of elements 3 .I p/u 4 I will sell you 3 cheap maybe this is lllegal but so is stolen watermellon but that taste really good :D

Yes, but it's corrosive to the soul. Plus, the "watermelon" may taste good, but I'd rather pass on the taste than face the penalty.

And Jeff, any offers for illegal activity are unacceptable on dgrin.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    jwear wrote:
    hey G I have a copy of elements 3 .I p/u 4 I will sell you 3 cheap maybe this is lllegal but so is stolen watermellon but that taste really good :D
    If you purchased a full version of Elements 4, I would think that it would be perfectly legal to sell your copy of a previous version (provided you uninstalled all the copies of the verison you were selling.)

HOWEVER... If you purchased an upgrade from Elements 3 to 4, I would think that you would have to uninstall all your copies of 3 & 4 before it would be legal for you to sell your copy of 3.
    edited December 30, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

nod.gif
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    What we need is to find someone that works at Adobe thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    Ginger, get well soon.

Trying to think, being sick and upset isn't fun at all. I would, just because, do a good system clean up on your PC. Maybe you do it regularly, I use to forget sometimes, that way you will have everything ship shape before you get your new CS2.

I know you don't want PSE2 but it is here if Adobe doesn't like your old numbers.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    Jeff, I don't know what you mean?
    (except the watermelon)

Thanks, I have thought, as suggested many times on here that if I had elements that was new enough, I could get the cheaper deal on the CS2. There is a problem, I only have enough to buy the cheaper deal on the CS2 until I get my taxes done, and I have to wait on Bill's W2 to do that.

But thanks, or if that is what you are talking about, a cheap one that I can register, I can look into it. Please PM me, I would like to get some of this OFF of here.

Except,

I mis spoke, Ian. You have not mis quoted me, you have not quoted me at all.

You have inferred and implied that I have said things I haven't.

Now quote me or shut the F up!!!

ginger (I used to think you were a nice person, Ian. No more, you have taken a personal vendetta, picked me as a convenient target...........and run with it! Yes, it is a problem...............but what about all the other ways to get around paying full price. They are recommended by many people on this club, I have not seen you attacking them for using student discounts when they are not students, or buying Wacom tablets to get the Elements needed to get a "deal". Or going on Ebay to get an unregistered elements thing.)

NOW QUOTE ME ON ANYTHING I SAID LAST NIGHT, in context, that says I was asking for help in fixing an illegal piece of software, but this name calling is childish, self serving, and you are doing it because you can! As%%#$$$$.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 30, 2005
    Ginger,

Not sure what the problem is. But I don't appreciate being told to STFU.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited December 30, 2005
    Cletus, I don't have anything. The old elements I had was on an old computer and went when the computer did. Also, the PS 7, and CS,those all were lost with the PC crash. All I have is this "corrupt", or something, CS2 on here. And my computer has not crashed since I last used it, so I tend to believe it was the cause. I have the serial number from the old elements 2, Adobe gave it to me, it was registered and is on record. According to the man at the store it is all I need for the 500.00 upgrade.

The problem is that in a month I will have the 500.00 I need to give Adobe for a completely legal version of CS2. Right now, I could possibly pay 150.00 for the upgrade, but I can't do that, as I my upgrade would cost 500.00.

I hate to put more money after bad when a month from now I can buy the version I want. The only way it would make sense would be to get a version on here that would allow me to upgrade at a cheaper price. I have to be able to register it in my name. Basically it has to be new.

I am going to look into some of the suggestions made by others, in the past, with the exception of Ebay. Also, I asked my daughter if I could borrow the money til the end of January. She has ordered her credit card which she had procrastinated on. But that would be two weeks. Actually, I think I did her a disservice even suggesting that it would be OK to order that credit card.

Someone else also said she would loan me money to frame photos, etc, to start a business, now she says, in effect, that she doesn't trust me. She wants me to put on her husband's illegal PS 7, I have said, politely, that I don't want to do that.

I Had asked my daughter, and my grandson, a college student, to check out the prices at his bookstore, he has not gotten around to it. I e-mailed them twice on that last night, but I have heard nothing.

So, about the worst thing I did last night was ask to borrow money from two different people, to buy LEGAL software.

I talked to the Adobe store twice. Amazon advertizes CS2 at about 159.00 for ANY photoshop. I asked Adobe, specifically, if that was legal, they said yes if it is Amazon, itself. It is. Amazon says ANY photoshop but Adobe said that would not work with Elements 2.

So there is a lot of strange info out there.

Now it is Friday, this is not how I expected to spend my husband's vacation, which is almost over. And to make it worse, the shoes I was wearing while waiting for the new tennis shoes to get here, after the mud fiasco, the temp shoes literally fell apart. I quite literally don't have ANY shoes to wear anywhere. But in a week they should come in the mail, I get them online, legally. I can see me standing in front of the college here in red slippers begging for a college student to do me a favor. But as far as I can tell that stuff comes bundled, together with things I don't need and costs more than I can afford right now. This month.

I woke up thinking I would photograph the bridge, no point.

IAN, DON"T WASTE your time telling me how you don't feel sorry for me, I don't remember asking you to. I am trying to solve this in some manner besides you, or anyone else, feeling sorry for me.

Maybe if I can get an upgradable elements, that upgrades cheaper than elements 2, it would work until I do the tax thing. Elements no longer works as a "cheap" upgrade in any form, I just looked it up.

Ian, I didn't ask you to shut up, I asked you to quote me as to the implications that I was asking for help with illegal software. I don't think you can do that, if you can't, then I would expect an apology, this thing has gone much further than I ever would have expected. Most people are only trying to help me. But the implication that anyone said something that was not said by that person, well, it stands and is believable to others who come in and read only a few posts.

So people will believe you when you said that I asked for help with illegal software when I wasn't. I was, and you can find this to quote, warning people against it at this point in time.

Good god, I feel like I am losing my life here, and that may sound melodramatic, but that is how I feel, and it is not illegal!

ginger
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 30, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    IAN, DON"T WASTE your time telling me how you don't feel sorry for me, I don't remember asking you to. I am trying to solve this in some manner besides you, or anyone else, feeling sorry for me.

Trust me Ginger, I don't waste any time.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    50169878-M.gif

Temperature's are getting hot in this thread . . . quoting the famous philosopher, Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along . . ." :beatwax

Ginger, sounds like you are on the right track. I've got a copy of elements 3.x (not even loaded on any pc) that I'd just give you but I'm pretty sure I did register it so it probably wouldn't do you much good (unless you could temporarily use it for editing). I know I didn't use it to upgrade to cs2 - Adobe didn't allow that as an upgrade when I bought mine (except I think there was some temporary deal for Canon owners, can't remember) - I had to buy the full version but got a deal from Dell (software discount coupon code after buying a new pc).

Like some other posters, I am a little concerned about the general health of your pc. Sounds like some drastic crashes for software errors but what do I know.

Also concern for your general health - fever and chills make for a bad day . . .
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    Photoshop CS2 for $299 - Legal and Legit

http://www.wacom.com/promo/photoshop_cs.cfm

You can sell the Wacom Intuos3 Tablet on the flea market, and voila! This deal is valid until January 31st, 2006.

Ginger - I don't think you can upgrade from PS Elements to CS2 for $169 - Adobe's site is pretty clear on the upgrade to CS2 - it's only for Photoshop versions prior to CS2 - not Photoshop Elements. It can be confusing, so I didn't want you to get tripped up or have expections that don't get met. If I'm wrong, can someone provide a link on Adobe's site please?

At store.adobe.com they give you little boxes you can plug your serial number into, to see if your version qualifies.

I hope this is helpful!
    edited December 30, 2005
    Andy wrote:

You can sell the Wacom Intuos3 Tablet on the flea market, and voila! This deal is valid until January 31st, 2006.

Ginger, if you did this offer than andy mentions, I'd buy the wacom tablet from you -
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

edited December 30, 2005
    Andy wrote:

Ginger, if you did this offer than andy mentions, I'd buy the wacom tablet from you - unless the price of the tablet alone is $299 :):

thumb.gif
    edited December 30, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Photoshop CS2 for $299 - Legal and Legit

http://www.wacom.com/promo/photoshop_cs.cfm

Ginger - I don't think you can upgrade from PS Elements to CS2 for $169 - Adobe's site is pretty clear on the upgrade to CS2 - it's only for Photoshop versions prior to CS2 - not Photoshop Elements. It can be confusing, so I didn't want you to get tripped up or have expections that don't get met. If I'm wrong, can someone provide a link on Adobe's site please?

At store.adobe.com they give you little boxes you can plug your serial number into, to see if your version qualifies.

I hope this is helpful!

Thanks, Andy, yes, the Wacom thing is very helpful. Together with the deal on CS2, it is close to what I would have to pay w/o the Wacom.

You are correct, I just looked, no version of Elements qualifys for the 169.00 discount. Elements does qualify for another discount: CS2 at 499.00, so it is a bit cheaper.

Yes, my serial number is valid and would work, according to Adobe. I am hesitant to plug it in before I need to, it is a one time thing. I did not make the number up, nor did I look in my records, I logged onto Adobe and they found it for me as I had registered it. (But I do not have the software, the salesman said that was OK)

But no one should expect to buy Elements and get the lowest discount. It won't happen.

I will look into the Wacom thing...........I usually do get my taxes done before the end of January, or I did last year.

Thanks, Andy,
    ginger
    edited December 30, 2005
    Andy wrote:

There is still Canon users upgrade (from included OEM Elements version) for $299.

http://store.adobe.com/store/products/master.jhtml?id=catCanon

But the wacom offer would be a better deal anyway
    john w

Edward Steichen

• 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    Ginger what size shoe are you? My wife has so many I think I can steal a pair for ya and she won't know the difference.
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yes, but it's corrosive to the soul. Plus, the "watermelon" may taste good, but I'd rather pass on the taste than face the penalty.

David I bought a new copy of ps elements 4 from frys and if I want to sell an old 3 version how is that illegal -you have to delete 3 to install 4 .If I gave it away would that put baking soda on your soul or will I be stilll D--ed on dgrin and get the dscowl [bird joke] I do not understand why if I paid for something, I can not sell it -I have seen copys of ps [old ones for sale]headscratch.gifne_nau.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
    edited December 30, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Ginger what size shoe are you? My wife has so many I think I can steal a pair for ya and she won't know the difference.

lol3.gif

Ginger,

I wasn't sure if you still had access to your Elements CD(s). For now you might think about a trial install of another photo editing program. Usually the trials last 30 days. If you like the trial software, buy it. If you don't like it (or you still want CS2) you might be able to buy CS2 by then. Paintshop Pro might be a good place to start. I don't think the trial version of CS2 will work for you since you've already had a copy of CS(2) on your machine.
    edited December 30, 2005
    jwear wrote:
    David I bought a new copy of ps elements 4 from frys and if I want to sell an old 3 version how is that illegal -you have to delete 3 to install 4 .If I gave it away would that put baking soda on your soul or will I be stilll D--ed on dgrin and get the dscowl [bird joke] I do not understand why if I paid something I can not sell it -I have seen copys of ps [old ones for sale]headscratch.gifne_nau.gif

That is legal, AFAIK, but read your post and make sure that you are saying what you intended. That's all. Dgrin just needs to be clear on this issue.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 30, 2005
    jwear wrote:
    ok it says i have a copy of 3 and i bought 4 will sell her 3 cheap [would really give it to her ] and the last part was meant to be a joke in ref: to the other comments . Sorry and thanks for the reply David thumb.gif Ginger -- good luck
    Jeff W

edited December 30, 2005
    jwear wrote:
    David I bought a new copy of ps elements 4 from frys and if I want to sell an old 3 version how is that illegal -you have to delete 3 to install 4 .If I gave it away would that put baking soda on your soul or will I be stilll D--ed on dgrin and get the dscowl [bird joke] I do not understand why if I paid for something, I can not sell it -I have seen copys of ps [old ones for sale]headscratch.gifne_nau.gif

Many software license agreements state that you do not own the software that you purchased from [fill-in-the-blank] dealer. The software company that made the product owns it and for your purchase price, they license to you the rights to use the product, within the agreement specifics. And some clearly say you cannot legally sell your copy to somone else.

Adobe's ULA is a little different from what I can tell. I couldn't find the Elements User License Agreement on their website but here's the paragraph from the ULA of Adobe Album - it's probably the same:
    4. Transfer. You may not, rent, lease, sell, sublicense, un-bundle and/or repackage for distribution or resale, or authorize all or any portion of the Software to be copied onto another users computer except as may be expressly permitted herein. You may, however, transfer all your rights to Use the Software to another person or legal entity provided that: (a) you also transfer (i) this Agreement, (ii) the serial number(s), Software and all other software or hardware bundled, packaged or pre-installed with the Software, including all copies, Updates and prior versions, and (iii) all copies of font software converted into other formats, to such person or entity; (b) you retain no copies, including backups and copies stored on a computer; and (c) the receiving party accepts the terms and conditions of this Agreement and any other terms and conditions upon which you legally purchased a licence to the Software. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may not transfer education, pre-release, or not for resale copies of the Software.

It looks like they're fine with a full transfer of the product . . .
    john w

Edward Steichen

edited December 30, 2005
    Many software license agreements . . .
    oops, my reply was a little late
    john w

Edward Steichen

edited December 30, 2005
    oops, my reply was a little late

Maybe, but nice and complete!
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 30, 2005
    There is still Canon users upgrade (from included OEM Elements version) for $299.

http://store.adobe.com/store/products/master.jhtml?id=catCanon

But the wacom offer would be a better deal anyway

LIght, I have that CD, I just looked in the box and there it was/is! Well, it is right here now.

I don't have any room on the hard drive to put it on.

I will try to use the CS2 that is not working right just to get some more photos off of my hard drive. Then I will take that CS2 off of the hard drive, put this on and think for a bit.

I wonder, the offer started May 2005, or something, and I got this in February, it doesn't expire til late 2006, I hope it is still good!

(I bought my 20D last Feb, after taxes, of course!)

I am not thinking well, I will try to do something. But I don't have over 150.00 right now. And I won't until my daughter helps me or my taxes happen, whichever comes first. I hate waiting for W2 forms. The military retirement is posted online in the middle of december: so convenient. And I can call the mortgages, it is the stupid W2 form that holds me up every year.

Anyway, this gives me the option of the Wacom or this or something.

ginger (I would plug the serial number in, but that would commit me to buy it now, and I can't.)

anyway, thanks...........ginger, not committed to anything much yet.

On people saying to check the PC systems, what are they talking about?

I have a Dell thing on, it says all is OK, and McAfee and AOL say no viruses or spyware.

I can't defrag til I get some stuff off the hard drive.

Plus, I don't have anything from Canon purchase for RAW, not that I can see??? I found something that might.............. Digital Photo Professional ver. 1.1
    edited December 30, 2005
    Many software license agreements state that you do not own the software that you purchased from [fill-in-the-blank] dealer. The software company that made the product owns it and for your purchase price, they license to you the rights to use the product, within the agreement specifics. And some clearly say you cannot legally sell your copy to somone else.

Adobe's ULA is a little different from what I can tell. I couldn't find the Elements User License Agreement on their website but here's the paragraph from the ULA of Adobe Album - it's probably the same:
    4. Transfer. You may not, rent, lease, sell, sublicense, un-bundle and/or repackage for distribution or resale, or authorize all or any portion of the Software to be copied onto another users computer except as may be expressly permitted herein. You may, however, transfer all your rights to Use the Software to another person or legal entity provided that: (a) you also transfer (i) this Agreement, (ii) the serial number(s), Software and all other software or hardware bundled, packaged or pre-installed with the Software, including all copies, Updates and prior versions, and (iii) all copies of font software converted into other formats, to such person or entity; (b) you retain no copies, including backups and copies stored on a computer; and (c) the receiving party accepts the terms and conditions of this Agreement and any other terms and conditions upon which you legally purchased a licence to the Software. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may not transfer education, pre-release, or not for resale copies of the Software.

It looks like they're fine with a full transfer of the product . . .
    thanks I did some cking also and it does seem too be ok but they rather you buy a upgrade and throw the old one away :D but if I gave it to G I do not think I was going to be a bad boy as David was so fast to point his finger at .If it was not legal I would still send her the elemnets 3 to use until she did something but I very seldom hold up any banks rolleyes1.gif thanks again for the info and I will be very careful what I say on dgrin again
    Jeff W

edited December 30, 2005
    jwear wrote:
    but I very seldom hold up any banks

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    Woah woah woah...

Did you say that there's no more room on the drive?

I've had CS crash if there's not enough room on my drives, especially whichever is designated as the "Scratch Drive."
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited December 30, 2005
    Woah woah woah...

Did you say that there's no more room on the drive?

I've had CS crash if there's not enough room on my drives, especially whichever is designated as the "Scratch Drive."

I wondered about that when I was clearing it off. I finally put what was left on an external drive, plenty of room on that one. But I do have another external drive attached to the computer, too, with very little room on it, and I was thinking that maybe I should take it off. Or move a few folders to the other drive.

And I am going to get another one of those, too, in Feb. I have to save up money to get one every few months anyway. I have three now, that was in a yr's time.

But yes, I said there was no more room on the drive.

And I didn't think about what/who was the scratch drive because I don't know what that is. It was the C drive, the main drive that I cleared and defragged today, that would be the scratch drive wouldn't it. That was not the drive I was taking photos off of, though. The drive I was taking photos off of is 200 gb and was almost empty.

When I turn this machine off in a few minutes, I guess I will take that other drive off of the computer. I have been using photos from all three places the last month or so. Now there are no photos on the C drive.

I know that when all the drives would get full, all two a few months ago, the PC would slow down, but I didn't notice that this time.

But I think you are right and that could very well have been a factor or the reason I was having trouble (I do have 2 gbs of memory).

Anyway, my friend is loaning me the money, so in about a week, I will have another CS2 on here, a new one. You know everyone seems to have been interested in the Wacom tablet, it sounded good to me, too. Smile!

Thanks for noticing what I said, Scott. Now I am aware that it is very important to watch that. I do know that 15% has to be clear to defrag.

ginger (Which is the scratch drive??? How do you know which one is?)
    edited December 30, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:

ginger (Which is the scratch drive??? How do you know which one is?)

It's a user option in Photoshop. Tools>Options I think, in the PC world. You can set your scratch disk to be where ever you want, Ginger thumb.gif
  • babybluetx23babybluetx23 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    Hey Ginger......If I may I would like to make a suggestion to help you try to fix your PC. I noticed you said you didnt have any spyware.....I used to run three to four different pieces of anti spyware and NONE of them caught anything on the PC. Then someone here at work sent out an email to help our Customers (I do tech support for Verizon Online FIOS Service) It is a GREAT Antispyware software called ewido. It is Free to Download and it caught 275 pieces of Spyware that the other three or four programs did not. You can get it at www.ewido.com See if that doesnt help you out. it sounds more like a problem with Windows more then anything else. It could have been a bad install, it could be a piece of hardware going south on you, it could be a video driver that is trying to load when the Adobe Gamma tries to load. Ect. Whether you are going legal or not, it still doesnt sound like a problem with adobe, it sounds like a driver, hardware, or Windows issue. I hope any of this helps you out. Good luck to you. Feel free to PM me if you need help.
    Cynthia Cox
    Arlington, Tx
    http://www.innovativeillusionsphoto.com/

OMP member #: 173034

Canon EOS 5D : Bogen 3051 tripod : Bogen Monopod : Bogen 3030 head unit : Canon Speedlight 580EX : Canon EF 28-200 F3.5 : Canon 70-200 f2.8L : Canon 24-70mm F2.8L and other Canon Gear

The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." - Ernst Haas