The Great 500mm Shootout - Canon vs. Nikon

13»

Comments

• PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    SEVEN PAGES!? I read SEVEN pages, and there are no PICTURES??? Oh my!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Poseidon wrote:
    SEVEN PAGES!? I read SEVEN pages, and there are no PICTURES??? Oh my!

Actually on the two days we wanted to do the shoot-out the weather sucked.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    JohnR wrote:
    I want to see the results too...where are they? headscratch.gif

They were posted. Canin Kicked Nekon's butt
    edited March 22, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    They were posted. Canin Kicked Nekon's butt

:bigbs

lets see the pics
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Actually on the two days we wanted to do the shoot-out the weather sucked.

Seems as though I read where Andy was too busy searching for the not so elusive "Starbucks". Judging from this shot I think he found it.

57929076-M-1.jpg
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Laughing.gif

That is a great shot of Andy, I think he should use it for an Avatar!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited March 24, 2006
    Messages deleted by me (ziggy53). Let's get back on track with the thread.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    Problem is..they aren't showing us the photos! rolleyes1.gif
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Messages deleted by me (ziggy53). Let's get back on track with the thread.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    edited March 24, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gif ... and I am hopefull.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    edited March 24, 2006
    Is this the correct gallery for the results?

http://www.moonriverphotography.com/gallery/1238308
    ziggy53
  • jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    Is this guy digesting a white lens?
    edited March 24, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Is this the correct gallery for the results?

http://www.moonriverphotography.com/gallery/1238308

Nope those were Andy's shots. A few were taken with Ian's 500mm but the shoot-off was supposed to be between Ian and myself. On the days we were supposed to shoot duirng the weekend but the weather was lousy.

We finally shot for a few hours on Tuesday when there was a break in the weather but no formal shoot-off was done.
    Harry
    edited March 25, 2006
    Has the shootoff been re-scheduled?

Could there be an "informal" shoot-off, where different parties are encouraged to use "any" lens in the 500mm arsenal, and submit for DGrin viewer approval? (I would suggest not a contest, but something which encourages use over a long period of time and use.)

I just hate to let this go because I can see a tremendous interest in this thread, which could mean a great interest in this type of photography.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    edited March 25, 2006
    OK here we go:

1) this was mostly a gag - and partly an excuse to go shoot boids with my good friends Ian and Harry, and their nice long glass lol3.gif

2) there's NO winner. Yes, the weather was bad, mostly. Both systems performed flawlessly on the outings we had. Nobody could sit and say that either 500mm lens is better than the other, that's just silly.

3) we ate like kings :food

4) my conclusion on the whole 500mm thing: Unless you are very wealthy, and will be shooting birds as your primary gig, the 500mms are unnecessary for most folks. My preferred weapon is a hand-holdable 400mm f/5.6, with the Tamron 1.4x converter as needed (can still autofocus on a 20d body). I'm sure there's an equiv on the Nikon side.

Why? The 500s require tripod and Wimberly-Gimberly hoo-hah (super stuff, smooth as buttah, very needed with these 500mms). Tripod? Better have a strong and light Gitzo CF or equivalent. The pair of items? $1100-ish +/-. The glass? $6000, $7000 depending.

The 400mm 5.6 handholdable solution allows for length, sharpness, freedom of handholdability (for all day if need be). This *can* mean the difference between getting the shot and not getting it. Image quality? Darn good - and in many cases rivaling the big guns. Of course, it sucks eggs at f/2.8 lol3.gif

But, if you have the dough, the time, energy, and your shooting venues allow for say, driving from spot to spot, or setting up in one area for a long time, then the big glass and associated hazzerie (Tripod, Wimberly), by all means enjoy the best of the bestest!
  • BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    OK here we go:

1) this was mostly a gag - and partly an excuse to go shoot boids with my good friends Ian and Harry, and their nice long glass lol3.gif

2) there's NO winner. Yes, the weather was bad, mostly. Both systems performed flawlessly on the outings we had. Nobody could sit and say that either 500mm lens is better than the other, that's just silly.

3) we ate like kings :food

4) my conclusion on the whole 500mm thing: Unless you are very wealthy, and will be shooting birds as your primary gig, the 500mms are unnecessary for most folks. My preferred weapon is a hand-holdable 400mm f/5.6, with the Tamron 1.4x converter as needed (can still autofocus on a 20d body). I'm sure there's an equiv on the Nikon side.

Why? The 500s require tripod and Wimberly-Gimberly hoo-hah (super stuff, smooth as buttah, very needed with these 500mms). Tripod? Better have a strong and light Gitzo CF or equivalent. The pair of items? $1100-ish +/-. The glass? $6000, $7000 depending.

The 400mm 5.6 handholdable solution allows for length, sharpness, freedom of handholdability (for all day if need be). This *can* mean the difference between getting the shot and not getting it. Image quality? Darn good - and in many cases rivaling the big guns. Of course, it sucks eggs at f/2.8 lol3.gif

But, if you have the dough, the time, energy, and your shooting venues allow for say, driving from spot to spot, or setting up in one area for a long time, then the big glass and associated hazzerie (Tripod, Wimberly), by all means enjoy the best of the bestest!

So am I right in thinking that your fndings after this comprehensive test is that the Canon was by far the better of the two?
    rolleyes1.gif

Bod.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
    edited March 25, 2006
    Bodwick wrote:
    So am I right in thinking that your fndings after this comprehensive test is that the Canon was by far the better of the two?
    rolleyes1.gif

Bod.

nod.gif without a doubt, Bod! lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif