Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You are SO right.

49953601-S.jpg

(mine, for a day)

I was behind one of these at a red light, on my bike. I tried to keep up as it accelerated away. I was dismayed that it pulled away from me. A GS is pokey for a bike, but can dust most cars. Not this one.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    Growing up in New York (Spring Valley) made me realize how poorly BMW's handled in the snow and ice.

nod.gif And the wet. I spun a 325 on a freshly rain sprinkled on-ramp and freeway one day, late for a friend's wedding. Terrifying, luckily no impact.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 31, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I was behind one of these at a red light, on my bike. I tried to keep up as it accelerated away. I was dismayed that it pulled away from me. A GS is pokey for a bike, but can dust most cars. Not this one.
    the M-coupe is the only car (I've driven) that can easily do donuts on dry pavement. I realize you can light 'em up in any old camaro, but I'm talking easily and controllably drift it around a parking lot without too much drama, tires full ablaze. Think of driving a small 2wd pickup truck or something similar in the snow (something more of us have had a chance to do), that's what this car is like in the summer.
    naughty.gif

More fun than a GS. You bet yer arse.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    nod.gif And the wet. I spun a 325 on a freshly rain sprinkled on-ramp and freeway one day, late for a friend's wedding. Terrifying, luckily no impact.
    see my above post. That's called steering with the throttle. You just need more practice (and a new pair of shorts). lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,209 moderator
    edited January 31, 2006
    Worst handling car I ever owned was the 318i. That thing could go into a spontaneous drift if I was driving it on a road of 400 grit sandpaper.

Third worst handling car I ever had was the 325es. The sport-tuned suspension helped it eclipse the 318 by some margin, but it was still a bit front heavy and twitchy. Loved all its other virtues though ('xcept the lease payments).

Second worst handling car was the Chevy Chevette. That wasn't as much a real car as it was an excuse to keep the auto worker's union employees busy for a minute or two. It later bit the dust by ramming head-on into a deer at 60mph (its top speed). Luckily for me, I had just sold it used for $300 to an employee. He survived the accident, but just barely. That guy is now my boss, and I get reminded of the killer car every now and then.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

This is what i dont understand. Why has the car got anything to do with this ? Surely its the tyres/shockies/road surface/temp/driver etc that are at fault here.....why would a 325 be so bad at it & GM/Ford be better ?
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Does anyone else see a connection here? rolleyes1.gif

Not to mention the connection to 4 digit per month car insurance. :D

James.
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    This is what i dont understand. Why has the car got anything to do with this ? Surely its the tyres/shockies/road surface/temp/driver etc that are at fault here.....why would a 325 be so bad at it & GM/Ford be better ?

Because it is light, and the s models have a LS diff, mix that with good engine response and loads of tourque and if you don't know how to drive it you'll turn it around easy.

James.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Because it is light, and the s models have a LS diff, mix that with good engine response and loads of tourque and if you don't know how to drive it you'll turn it around easy.

James.
    Thankyou...thus its the driver & not the car.

I have two 1100cc motorcycles & they can get awfully out of shape with the inability to read basic feedback given by the eyes.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 1, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Worst handling car I ever owned was the 318i. That thing could go into a spontaneous drift if I was driving it on a road of 400 grit sandpaper.

Third worst handling car I ever had was the 325es. The sport-tuned suspension helped it eclipse the 318 by some margin, but it was still a bit front heavy and twitchy. Loved all its other virtues though ('xcept the lease payments).

Second worst handling car was the Chevy Chevette. That wasn't as much a real car as it was an excuse to keep the auto worker's union employees busy for a minute or two. It later bit the dust by ramming head-on into a deer at 60mph (its top speed). Luckily for me, I had just sold it used for $300 to an employee. He survived the accident, but just barely. That guy is now my boss, and I get reminded of the killer car every now and then.

Hmm I'd have to dissagree with you. For the money, e30's have an outstanding reputation to be great handlers. If these are the worst handling cars you've driven, what are the best? back yourself up man
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    nandysso wrote:
    Hmm I'd have to dissagree with you. For the money, e30's have an outstanding reputation to be great handlers. If these are the worst handling cars you've driven, what are the best? back yourself up man
    Are you really taking David seriously? Come on! His top 3 worst list has 2 bmw's and... wait for it... a Chevette!!! lol3.gif

Everyone's entitled to their personal opinion, but let me assure you, there's a reason I did a fair portion of Ford's competitive benchmarking (for the class I was working in) on BMW's. I was a vehicle dynamics engineer, so that means: ride, steering, handling, braking. It was basically a given among dynamics guys that the Bavarians knew their stuff in this realm. Chalk it up to something in the water, or beer over there, but even with geometry and design that aren't revolutionary, something in the subtleties of BMW tuning makes them a real pleasure to drive.
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    ahh sorry since I'm new around here I havn't gotten used to peoples humor levels.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    bmw4.JPG

discuss
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    nandysso wrote:
    bmw4.JPG

discuss
    I disagree, vastly. You need to spend more time in e36's and e46's. While they grew just a bit, tad heavier, yes, its a much more refined and sorted car. The handling improved, despite of the weight, and the drivetrain, oh the drivetrain. The gearbox also puts the e30 to shame.

I for one don't subscribe to that "they don't build 'em like they used to" attitude. Especially as an engineer who's worked with a few BMW engineers in the past. Kind of insulting that you're telling us we've gone backwards since the e30. Ouch.

Do I love the e30 m3's and autox'd versions of them? Yes. If we're not talking money, just pure technical excellence and dynamics, would I take an e30 over any of the later gens as a road car? Not in a million years.

Have you driven an e90? The new 325 is an incredibly sorted, powerful, agile, and gorgeous car.

But again, to each his own. ne_nau.gif
    Erik

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Are you really taking David seriously? Come on! His top 3 worst list has 2 bmw's and... wait for it... a Chevette!!! lol3.gif

Everyone's entitled to their personal opinion, but let me assure you, there's a reason I did a fair portion of Ford's competitive benchmarking (for the class I was working in) on BMW's. I was a vehicle dynamics engineer, so that means: ride, steering, handling, braking. It was basically a given among dynamics guys that the Bavarians knew their stuff in this realm. Chalk it up to something in the water, or beer over there, but even with geometry and design that aren't revolutionary, something in the subtleties of BMW tuning makes them a real pleasure to drive.

It's not just the bavarians. The sad fact is that while most of the world has tried to develope better handling, faster, more fuel efficient cars, the big 3 have simply produce lazy, slugish, soft vehicles. But then again it also reflects a majority of our lazy, slugish, soft citizens. If you want a car thats fun to drive, and can really be driven, you are left with maybe 4 or 5 domestic models that are rather expensive, or you have to buy a import.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I disagree, vastly. You need to spend more time in e36's and e46's.

Doc! HE NEEDS TO SPEND MORE TIME ON HIS COLLEGE STUDIES!!!

lol3.gif

PS: Have you EVER seen such a lame graph? Can you believe this kid is at RPI? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I disagree, vastly. You need to spend more time in e36's and e46's. While they grew just a bit, tad heavier, yes, its a much more refined and sorted car. The handling improved, despite of the weight, and the drivetrain, oh the drivetrain. The gearbox also puts the e30 to shame.

I for one don't subscribe to that "they don't build 'em like they used to" attitude. Especially as an engineer who's worked with a few BMW engineers in the past. Kind of insulting that you're telling us we've gone backwards since the e30. Ouch.

Do I love the e30 m3's and autox'd versions of them? Yes. If we're not talking money, just pure technical excellence and dynamics, would I take an e30 over any of the later gens as a road car? Not in a million years.

Have you driven an e90? The new 325 is an incredibly sorted, powerful, agile, and gorgeous car.

But again, to each his own. ne_nau.gif

At least my shock towers and floor won't rip in half (e46). The cars are just starting to look like every other car on the road

would I take an e30 over an e36? Heck yes. Would I take an e30 over an e46/e90 (especially 330ci)? heck no. The e36 just looks like a piece of garbage and don't even get me started on how the m3 is watered down from the european version.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    PS: Have you EVER seen such a lame graph? Can you believe this kid is at RPI? rolleyes1.gif

54750258-M.jpg

P0504.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    nandysso wrote:
    The cars are just starting to look like every other car on the road.
    You mean how every Acura and everything else wants so badly to look like a 3-series? Yeah, you're right on that one. So then please explain why the same people who share your viewpoint about "ubiquitous looks" jumped on Chris Bangle when he tried to change direction a bit, to make BMW unique and new???

And yes, your graphs are horrible. If you were in my undergrad engineering lab, you'd be clapping erasers together. Your damn axes aren't even labeled! that could be log-log for all we know!
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    And yes, your graphs are horrible. If you were in my undergrad engineering lab, you'd be clapping erasers together. Your damn axes aren't even labeled! that could be log-log for all we know!

lol3.gif Go Get 'em, Doc!!! Tough Love!
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You mean how every Acura and everything else wants so badly to look like a 3-series? Yeah, you're right on that one. So then please explain why the same people who share your viewpoint about "ubiquitous looks" jumped on Chris Bangle when he tried to change direction a bit, to make BMW unique and new???

Nah I just think that way of the e36/e46. I have no opinion on the new generation BMW's
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    not my graph! I just snagged it

54760282-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    nandysso wrote:

51608467-L-1.jpg

Typical excuses!

You take after your Uncle David. I think maybe we should start calling you "Crash" lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Typical excuses!

You take after your Uncle David. I think maybe we should start calling you "Crash" lol3.gif

e-thug
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    nandysso wrote:
    if you are putting any weight on a "graph" produced by a crazed greek communist from Skokie IL, you need some serious help.
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    if you are putting any weight on a "graph" produced by a crazed greek communist from Skokie IL, you need some serious help.

haha nah I was just stirring up some trouble
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    I should have said "unpredictable" in their handling, since the weight distribution was skewed highly towards the front of the car. Got used to it later, but the bimmers didn't handle well in snowy or icy situations - period.
    nandysso wrote:

...but yet, I never wrecked any of my bimmers by wrapping them around trees, etc. mwink.gif
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    I should have said "unpredictable" in their handling, since the weight distribution was skewed highly towards the front of the car. Got used to it later, but the bimmers didn't handle well in snowy or icy situations - period.

you still didn't say what the better handling cars were
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:

...but yet, I never wrecked any of my bimmers by wrapping them around trees, etc. mwink.gif

Spang!!!!!!!!

David, permission to take the gloves off with my boy. This is fun lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Spang!!!!!!!!

David, permission to take the gloves off with my boy. This is fun lol3.gif

Permission granted Andy (like you need my permission). But I would have thought the gloves had come off by now anyway. How many cars does it take before a bicycle is suggested by his auto insurance company?

Oh, and note to andysson, I would tell you what the better handling car was, but then you'd only want to rush out and spend your old man's money on one of those too. Some things just shouldn't be known at your young and impressionable age. Like daddy said "get top grades and chase girls." Amen to that!

(how as that, Andy? am I doing good?)
    My Smugmug
This discussion has been closed.