Options

Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 7, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Heh, yer just not man enough to own one! :D

Those 5Ls (known as "Monster Miatas") are a strange lot... way too much power for the tires.

plus they wouldn't handle as well as the 6 pot. A guy on my autox team uses a miata 6 but it's supercharged :D
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Hey Nandysso. Not that I'm accusing you of anything but you may wanna watch out for this in the future. mwink.gif

'Car-chase capital' deploys new weapon -- GPS gum balls

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- The car chase capital of the world is going high-tech to end dangerous pursuits across Southern California.

Police Chief William J. Bratton unveiled a strange new weapon in the police department's strategy to halt high-speed pursuits -- adhesive darts with a global positioning system that are fired at fleeing cars by police.

Once fired from a patrol car, the GPS dart is designed to stick to a fleeing car, allowing squad cars to back off the chase.

"Instead of us pushing them doing 70 or 80 miles an hour," Bratton said, "this device allows us not to have to pursue after the car. It allows us to start vectoring where the car is."

U.S. Department of Justice officials suggested testing the StarChase system in Los Angeles. A small number of patrol cars will be equipped with the compressed air launchers, which fire the miniature GPS receivers in a sticky compound resembling a golf ball.

There were more than 600 pursuits in Los Angeles and more than 100,000 nationwide last year. Critics have long questioned the wisdom of police pursuits because they can endanger bystanders and officers.

Bratton, who often calls the city the car chase capital of the world, was asked why there are so many pursuits in Los Angeles: "There are a lot of nuts here," he said.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    yeesh. Reminds me of 2Fast 2Furious. They had a gun that shot a 3 prong device into the side of the car and it would disable the electrical system
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    nandysso wrote:
    yeesh. Reminds me of 2Fast 2Furious. They had a gun that shot a 3 prong device into the side of the car and it would disable the electrical system

Oh I remember those devices. But something tells me those aren't practical yet.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006

They do exist (maybe not exactly that form or shape), I think they were actually designed as a new idea to counter car-chases. I don't think they ever really came any further than an idea and testing models.
    They are supposed to work with a short intentense EMP, but therefor they are only functional for cars with electronic ignition. So what do you do when the guy steals a car without it? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    They do exist (maybe not exactly that form or shape), I think they were actually designed as a new idea to counter car-chases. I don't think they ever really came any further than an idea and testing models.
    They are supposed to work with a short intentense EMP, but therefor they are only functional for cars with electronic ignition. So what do you do when the guy steals a car without it? ne_nau.gif

That, and I'm pretty sure thats not the only problem they are having with them. I think they are also facing problems with cost, and worries that they will get sued if they miss their intended target and kill someone else's car causing an accident.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    That, and I'm pretty sure thats not the only problem they are having with them. I think they are also facing problems with cost, and worries that they will get sued if they miss their intended target and kill someone else's car causing an accident.

Yeah, the model we discussed in Uni, had a blunt front, and a "switch". It was supposed to be fired onto the grill i guess, after which it "activates". It didn't attacth to the car.
    BTW, we just had to calculate how much power was required to damage the chips (which is surprisingly little i seem to remember) I just studied computer science, so i don't really know anything else about it :D
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Saw something here on the news the other night where the pigs fire a small tracking device onto the car & then back off the chase & simply follow it by GPS/Sat from a few streets away thus avoiding high speed chases & giving them time & direction to amass a full assault on said crim.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Saw something here on the news the other night where the pigs fire a small tracking device onto the car & then back off the chase & simply follow it by GPS/Sat from a few streets away thus avoiding high speed chases & giving them time & direction to amass a full assault on said crim.
    See 7 posts above :D
  • Options
    tacampbelltacampbell Registered Users Posts: 12 Beginner grinner
    edited February 7, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Well, at least you know he won't be able to play his Marilyn Manson CDs in it.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    tacampbell wrote:
    Well, at least you know he won't be able to play his Marilyn Manson CDs in it.
    My dad would be playing Backstreet Boys in his drop-top PT cruiser wishing he had his misery van back :D
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    nandysso wrote:
    My dad would be playing Backstreet Boys in his drop-top PT cruiser wishing he had his misery van back :D

Keep it up, lad, keep it up... :beatwax
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    See 7 posts above :D

Sorry ..couldnt be bothered searching. Cars are right up there with life insurance seminars in my book. I just get bored in here at night by myself in front of all these buttons.

Me ?

I recon andysan should deliver some pizzas like the rest of the free world whilst he studies to ern some dosh & buy a '72 ford pinto. This will benefit 2 fold, 1 by learning the true value of how far $4/hour goes & the head trouble that goes with it as each night club beer means another hour taking crap from people for late delivery & the amount of skirt he can pull with such a pos car as chicks all know that he has something that he does not need to advertise. 1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Sorry ..couldnt be bothered searching. Cars are right up there with life insurance seminars in my book. I just get bored in here at night by myself in front of all these buttons.

Me ?

I recon andysan should deliver some pizzas like the rest of the free world whilst he studies to ern some dosh & buy a '72 ford pinto. This will benefit 2 fold, 1 by learning the true value of how far $4/hour goes & the head trouble that goes with it as each night club beer means another hour taking crap from people for late delivery & the amount of skirt he can pull with such a pos car as chicks all know that he has something that he does not need to advertise. 1drink.gif

:eek1:eek1:eek1 my dad's not gonna like that! "No working, only studying" which gets soooo boring, but I think I'm going to join teh same frat that he was in centuries ago
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited February 8, 2006
    nandysso wrote:
    :eek1:eek1:eek1 my dad's not gonna like that! "No working, only studying" which gets soooo boring, but I think I'm going to join teh same frat that he was in centuries ago

That '72 Ford Pinto was The Bomb! Literally...Nope. Can't have you
    driving one of those.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2006
    So your working ? Ok buy your own car then ..this way you will owe him nothing when he's wearing a diaper eating yoghurt .. mashed vegies & throwing things at the TV in 2028. The move into the geriatrics home wont make you even flinch. Do make sure you have power of attorney though...this can be done by telling him that you will take him out for ice-cream & will need a signature prior.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    So your working ? Ok buy your own car then ..this way you will owe him nothing when he's wearing a diaper eating yoghurt .. mashed vegies & throwing things at the TV in 2028. The move into the geriatrics home wont make you even flinch. Do make sure you have power of attorney though...this can be done by telling him that you will take him out for ice-cream & will need a signature prior.

Did I say I have a jobne_nau.gif? No, I don't think I did. Anyway as I PP I am buying a 1989 325i 4 door this weekend. It's my budget beater at $500 and it's already pre zacced (dents, dings, and a little rust for LTW)
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2006
    nandysso wrote:

He prolly got his copy of backstreet out of your cd collection.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    earn some dosh & buy a '72 ford pinto.

From age 11 thru age 17 I worked every Saturday at Caruso Film in my hometown. It was an old fashioned camera store. We had a darkoom, and the owner taught me how to develop film and print enlargements. We had the only real darkroom in the area, so we had lots of business. The owner liked to tipple 1drink.gif so there was always a big backlog of film for me to develop on saturdays, and prints to make. I can still smell the D76 on my fingers, but that's how I got my start in photography. Working all those saturdays enabled me to get this beauty - not a Ford Pinto, but it's higher-born cousin, the Mercury Bobcat. So laddy-boy, there's a lesson to be learned!

325304-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    From age 11 thru age 17 I worked every Saturday at Caruso Film in my hometown. It was an old fashioned camera store. We had a darkoom, and the owner taught me how to develop film and print enlargements. We had the only real darkroom in the area, so we had lots of business. The owner liked to tipple 1drink.gif so there was always a big backlog of film for me to develop on saturdays, and prints to make. I can still smell the D76 on my fingers, but that's how I got my start in photography. Working all those saturdays enabled me to get this beauty - not a Ford Pinto, but it's higher-born cousin, the Mercury Bobcat. So laddy-boy, there's a lesson to be learned!

325304-Ti.jpg

Andy, you were raised right. Hard work and perseverance. Don't let this whiny-boy pressure you into buying for him what he should earn himself.

:D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Andy, you were raised right. Hard work and perseverance. Don't let this whiny-boy pressure you into buying for him what he should earn himself.

:D

Just think of all the glass andy can buy for us instead of a car for the lad. :D

James.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2006
    We had a BMWCCA meeting tonight. The main event was a Pinewood Derby race. Mine is the BMW CSL on teh end
    55671883-M.jpg

haha and my friends car with the Smucker's jelly taped on it for weight.

55671690-M.jpg

I also got to sit in a 2001 m3 vert. *hint*
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited February 9, 2006
    nandysso wrote:

I also go to sit in a 2001 m3 vert. *hint*

Do well in skool and you too can drive won :D

BTW, nice work on the PWD car.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2006
    Ok I found something really cool! This isn't exactly it but it is the same year/color.

b4_3.JPG

Lets just say I have a connection to a guy up in Pottsdam (almost in Canada eh?) and he started (like an idiot) parting out his convertible. He figured he could make more money this way. Well, he got as far as taking out the interior and suspension. Turns out this is perfect for me because I have the interior/suspension from my last car! He only wants $1000 for it but I think I can get him lower thumb.gif. Going to check it out in a month or so over Spring Break.
    partingout325es014.jpg

cliff notes: Found cheap convertible, half way parted out, I have parts, going to see it in a month or so.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2006
    nandysso wrote:
    Ok I found something really cool! This isn't exactly it but it is the same year/color.

cliff notes: Found cheap convertible, half way parted out, I have parts, going to see it in a month or so.

It's going to be so sad to see that car go to the junk yard. Oh well I guess it's better you get another BMW to total rather than damaging a real car. :D
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2006
    Oh well I guess it's better you get another BMW to total rather than damaging a real car. :D

!!! lol3.gif Gary
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2006
    You guys are just jelous that I'll be driving around a vert :D
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2006
    nandysso wrote:
    You guys are just jelous that I'll be driving around a vert :D

Not really. Never been a vert fan. Would much rather have a hard top coupe. If I really had to drive a car without a slick top, it would have to be a t-top or targa top, verts loose too much rigidity, and weight tooo much. Bah. Besides your too young to be buying a mid life crisis car. If your having that many problems getting girls there are way better ways to fix that than a chick car.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2006
    If your having that many problems getting girls there are way better ways to fix that than a chick car.
    Wow, you really want to stirr up some trouble, Mr. West Bumblefield MI, eh?
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2006
    nandysso wrote:
    Wow, you really want to stirr up some trouble, Mr. West Bumblefield MI, eh?

What can I say, I had a refreshing weekend. Besides, you take after your father and make yourself an easy target sometime.
    www.zxstudios.com
This discussion has been closed.