Andy wrote:
    Who are you again headscratch.gif

Oh yeah, this kid:

it was this [ ] big
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 16, 2006
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    4WD is not a magic bullet, in fact, 4WD is awful on ice unless you have spikes. Learn to drive a 2WD on ice and snow and have fun.

Edit: Traction controlled 4WD would be another story, I was thinking of standard 4WD.
    Exactly. If you're sliding, Zac, it doesn't matter how many wheels you have power to, you're still sliding!

As James points out, the modern traction control systems are pretty darn amazing. This was one of the reasons that C230 I had was so good. Even though it was very light and quite powerful for that weight, it kept in line very well, even under the most slippy conditions. I actually felt safer in it than I do in my poorly weighted truck. Personally, I'm a well trained driver, and I like being able to steer the car a bit with the throttle if the need arises.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 16, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Personally, I'm a well trained driver

did dad let you back the car out of the driveway raymond?
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited February 16, 2006
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    4WD is not a magic bullet, in fact, 4WD is awful on ice unless you have spikes. Learn to drive a 2WD on ice and snow and have fun.

James.

Edit: Traction controlled 4WD would be another story, I was thinking of standard 4WD.

Come to California and watch the idiots drive in the snow lol3.gif

Doc, that SLK would be a fun car but what are you going to do when the
    pupITs come along?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 16, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    \
    As James points out, the modern traction control systems are pretty darn amazing.

This is true. I am used to a 20 year old car without traction control and in most cases, sans an LSD.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    nandysso wrote:
    This is true. I am used to a 20 year old car without traction control and in most cases, sans an LSD.

GO TO CLASS BOY!
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    nandysso wrote:
    my name isn't Nandy, lol. Nandysso=andysson=andys son= Zac

Hey man your the one who picked nandy as your sn ne_nau.gif . It's not like we judge here rolleyes1.gif. Besides did you know that there are people who spend more money to get cars that are rear wheel drive only because they can have more fun and do more things in them. I'm with IT on this one it's all in your driving ability. Modern cars make people lazy. Most people on the road don't know how to drive. They know how to steer and thats it.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2006
    \Modern cars make people lazy. Most people on the road don't know how to drive. They know how to steer and thats it.

I'm sure you know what its like to have a OLD RWD car in the snow. 90% of the time I can't even get out of my driveway, or it takes about half an hour too. I'm all for RWD cars, but an 80's BMW without traction control or an LSD is just horrible in the snow (especially when you don't have snow tires *dad*).
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    did dad let you back the car out of the driveway raymond?
    You're just jealous that I've gotten to take some sweet open wheel racing classes, spun big saloons around on icy tracks, and turned reverse figure 8's in 15 ton busses.

FLIPA.gif

It's not a bragging thing. All the training I've had really has not only improved my skills, but taught me things like how/what to pay attention and be alert to. We practice photography right? Same thing. I have more class time in driving than many undergraduate communcations majors do in anything (not counting beer time, they always beat me at that).

lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 16, 2006
    nandysso wrote:
    I'm sure you know what its like to have a OLD RWD car in the snow. 90% of the time I can't even get out of my driveway, or it takes about half an hour too. I'm all for RWD cars, but an 80's BMW without traction control or an LSD is just horrible in the snow (especially when you don't have snow tires *dad*).
    Snow tire design has come about as far as traction control system design. You might be surprised what a set of really good tires would do for your 20 year old bimmer. And still a whole lot cheaper than a "winter car".
    nod.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 16, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You're just jealous that I've gotten to take some sweet open wheel racing classes, spun big saloons around on icy tracks, and turned reverse figure 8's in 15 ton busses.

nah, not jealous...much.

the closest thing i think i'll ever get to flinging an m5 around the nurburgring is gran turismo on the playstation.

but i'll tell you what, a lifted SWB jeep with a posi can be quite fun on a wet road. And it'll teach you real quick about steering with the gas pedal. *sigh* i miss that thing.

36026581-M.jpg
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    nah, not jealous...much
    lol3.gif
    but i'll tell you what, a lifted SWB jeep with a posi can be quite fun on a wet road. And it'll teach you real quick about steering with the gas pedal. *sigh* i miss that thing.
    Admittedly, off-road is the one arena I don't have much experience in. Not for lack of trying though.
    naughty.gif

26155539-S.jpg

It's just that I wuss out too easily, because the consequences of pulling a stuck 6000 lb truck out of the woods is a much more complex thing than even a (very heavy at) 600 lb motorbike.

8503311-S.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    nandysso wrote:

A little hint from experance here, for LSD 198X BMW 325x add 250-350 LBS in the trunk, up that to 450-550 LBS for non LSD and you will be totally amazed how well it drives in snow and ice. With a 1987 325is (LSD) with about 300lbs of concrete in the trunk, in 18 inches of snow I found myself passing cop cars with chains and 4WD's with snow tires without a secound thought, I even edded up pulling out a stuck ford ranger, he didn't know anything about BMW's so I lied and told him it was 4WD. rolleyes1.gif I always wanted an 325ix but never got one. See the bimmers are 50/50 wieght distro but in snow you want more on your drive axle, add it to the rear of the trunk and drive.

James.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2006
    nandysso wrote:

I know what its like. It's one of the reasons I preffer to drive older rear wheel drive cars. It's called pedal control. People did it all the time years ago before these new cars were out. It's all about knowing your vehicle, knowing how it works, and knowing every thing you can about making it work with you.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    lol3.gif
    It's just that I wuss out too easily, because the consequences of pulling a stuck 6000 lb truck out of the woods is a much more complex thing than even a (very heavy at) 600 lb motorbike.

I had a 99 ranger, first new vehicle i ever owned. I loved that truck. 2 weeks after i had it i was having a little too much fun on a fire trail, hit a boulder with the rear wheel and knocked the rear-end almost completely out from underneath the vehicle.

sadly it was never quite the same after that.

i learned a few things that day.
    1) as has already been stated: 4wd is not a magic bullet.
    2) tow trucks are really expensive. especially when they have to go fetch you off the side of a mountain.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    2) tow trucks are really expensive. especially when they have to go fetch you off the side of a mountain.

:giggle You should see the bill when three of them get stuck trying to get to you. Thankfully it wasn't my rig, in fact I was enlisted to help retrive one of the tow trucks.

James.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    Any online coarse for Car driving my dad wont bought me a car until i learnt how to drive
    What about 1996 Honda civic second hand for 6000$ ? japan assembled
    we will buy from my uncle
    new honda civic costs 4 times more
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2006
    Any online coarse for Car driving my dad wont bought me a car until i learnt how to drive
    What about 1996 Honda civic second hand for 6000$ ? japan assembled
    we will buy from my uncle
    new honda civic costs 4 times more

Civics are good cars, as long as they are cared for properly they run forever. The real thing is to know they are economy cars and not sports cars, and if you treat it like a sports car it won't last as long. As far as price goes it's hard to say because what may be an excellent price there may not be here. Even going from state to state in america the price can change greatly.

As far as learning to drive online goes... Not really. I mean you can learn the book stuff online, like how a car works, the theory on how it should handle, car driving theory, etc. I'm not sure about pakistan but you may even be able to find a web page with your local driving laws. But then again I have heard many countries don't have driving laws like ours. But for really learning how to drive there is really only one way to do it and thats to start driving with a really good driver sitting next to you and showing you the ropes. Theory, and book reading is great but its hands on training that really teaches how to handle a car.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    Thanks dragon that will be a family car no sports program :D
    and i think its good value becouse Pakistan is very expensive for imported cars
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2006
    Theory, and book reading is great but its hands on training that really teaches how to handle a car.
    You mean you can't just upload a driving book, Matrix-style, into your brain and drive like Michael Schumacher?!?
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 16, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You mean you can't just upload a driving book, Matrix-style, into your brain and drive like Michael Schumacher?!?

If it was that easy I'd be a multi-millionaire race car driver.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2006
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yo

Love the picture. Hate the car.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2006
    Love the picture. Hate the car.

I dig this, drove the turbo version yesterday, test drive, it was nice!
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I dig this, drove the turbo version yesterday, test drive, it was nice!

Those aren't bad to drive but they are ugly as sin. The problem with chryslers though is their brakes. Every friend of mine who has bought a chrysler has had brake problems. Last one I rented had brake problems. If you buy one plan on converting the brakes to another system right away.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    For once I like a car thread...
    Cars and photography can go togetherrolleyes1.gif
    This old Ford was on the market place in La Mesilla, I find it one of the nicest photographs I took on this trip. It is an old car, but o so charming. Give me one like that over any beemer... sorry guys.

56821447-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2006
    The turbo PT was zippy even though we test drove an autosux.

iE0785FB_1.jpg

same engine, better looking, about the same price. GET IT!!!11
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2006
    OK it's done. Just bought this, a local dealer had one that just came in, it's gorgeous -- way fun to drive!

bd_12.JPG
This discussion has been closed.