gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    jebus ! Enough of the poofy cars !!.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 13, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    jebus ! Enough of the poofy cars !!.

Poofy cars? These are raw Euro cars. Nothing poofy here.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2006
    nandysso wrote:
    Poofy cars? These are raw Euro cars. Nothing poofy here.
    Mate the gay community here would have to walk or catch public transport if you took away old BMWs.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 13, 2006
    Yeah, sorry Andy Jr., but when you start talking up the heavy old noodle-like "verts", you lose me. I'm with Gus on this one, last non poofy guy or non-chick I saw driving an old BMW cabrio was in the early 90s. You know, right around when you were born...
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yeah, sorry Andy Jr., but when you start talking up the heavy old noodle-like "verts", you lose me. I'm with Gus on this one, last non poofy guy or non-chick I saw driving an old BMW cabrio was in the early 90s. You know, right around when you were born...

clap.gifclapclap.gif

My point exactly.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2006
    My point exactly.
    Seriously, I was so impressed with the boy. He knew his history, good taste, enjoyed a more rare or sub-culture car like the ix rather than the typical teen with his lust for a new m3. But he's gone a blown it. No really, this isn't even a subjective thing anymore, you can't really be talking "raw" and "euro" power with the old cloth top in the same sentence. You can't talk around it, they were very heavy, and very loose.
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 13, 2006
    Not like I'm trying to redeem myself or anything but I would also have a 325i 4 door for the track. I hear they are much stiffer than the coups and only weigh about 25lbs more. I've done some research and it is possible to reduce the weight from 2800lbs to about 2200lbs. I don't want to be driving around a gutted car with a rollcage!
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    nandysso wrote:
    Not like I'm trying to redeem myself or anything but I would also have a 325i 4 door for the track. I hear they are much stiffer than the coups and only weigh about 25lbs more. I've done some research and it is possible to reduce the weight from 2800lbs to about 2200lbs. I don't want to be driving around a gutted car with a rollcage!
    If you are going to do that rip the drive train out and put an IS drivetrain in, including suspention. I have had both 2 and 4 door versions, and would not pick the 4 door for the track.

James.

P.S. Verts suck
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2006
    The only difference between the 'i' and the 'is' is the differential as far as I'm concerned. So your right, I would use a 3.93 LSD from a 325is. I would switch the suspension out for H&R Race Springs and Bilstein Sport shocks. Other that that I would keep the 325i parts because they're the same.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2006
    nandysso wrote:
    Not like I'm trying to redeem myself or anything but

Mate ....have you told your father that you've jumped the fence ?
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Mate ....have you told your father that you've jumped the fence ?

rolleyes1.gifI think Andy knows. Besides don't parents always say they will love their kid no matter what. Should be the same if they decide to marry charlie instead of charlette.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2006
    nandysso wrote:
    The only difference between the 'i' and the 'is' is the differential as far as I'm concerned. So your right, I would use a 3.93 LSD from a 325is. I would switch the suspension out for H&R Race Springs and Bilstein Sport shocks. Other that that I would keep the 325i parts because they're the same.

The suspension and LSD were what I had in mind, if you are going that route with the suspension it is mostly a mute point. I just said the whole works because I am currently doing just that, but putting "is" guts in a "e" chasis. A LOT more differant there.

James.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2006
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    The suspension and LSD were what I had in mind, if you are going that route with the suspension it is mostly a mute point. I just said the whole works because I am currently doing just that, but putting "is" guts in a "e" chasis. A LOT more differant there.

James.

If you need help or anything on the conversion, I use bimmerforums.com and the e30 speciality site which is R3Vlimited.com
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2006
    nandysso wrote:
    If you need help or anything on the conversion, I use bimmerforums.com and the e30 speciality site which is R3Vlimited.com

Thanks, will keep that in mind, actually the only problem at the moment is that the e is a 84 and has 3 less wires in the main wireing harness than the 87 is donor, looks like I'll have to run them manually. The motor/trany are already in, computer and a few other goodies are lined up, really it is almost done, gotta drop the LSD in but I might wait and see how the way long e diff feels on the i motor. If you are wondering what brought this crazyness on, watch wrc and think about what happens when a driver is running off-road, makes a slight error and plants his ride in 3' of water with the motor at speed. I kinda know all about it. :D The rods turned into S's They bent so far that they do not clear the counter ballance on the crank. eek7.gif

James.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    ^Wow sounds crazy! Did you ever consider dropping in an m50/S50/S52 engine?
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    Here guys...let me hold that cinnamon tea & fairy bread for you whilst we pass some testosterone about.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    nandysso wrote:
    ^Wow sounds crazy! Did you ever consider dropping in an m50/S50/S52 engine?

Well, I did cast an eye at the 750iL and the 635csi when I was thinking about motors, but the 325is won because I have several samples pre-crunched just lying around.

James.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Here guys...let me hold that cinnamon tea & fairy bread for you whilst we pass some testosterone about.

Ok now, with a name like Hummer-gus I didn't think you would be such a gay-basher, maybe you are into the SM thing a little too much. I can't speak for andy boy here but I myself am very secure about by testosterone levels. I also dabble in other forms of transportation. At the moment I am rebuilding the front axle on the blue jeep.

5369810-M.jpg

If you want to start equating cars to manhood, how many large V8's do you own right now? I guess this looks pretty girlie-man to you huh?

5376893-M.jpg
    5376875-M.jpg

too bad I don't have shots of them handy but I have a few other big bore toys around too that you might find interesting, does mopar 383 and 400 ring a bell? Now run along back to your rainbow stickered holden and leave us alone.

James.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    Humungus wrote:

Dude that would be so much fun to see first hand. Even more fun to drop in a misery van and go teach some civic's a lesson.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    Humungus wrote:

If talking about BMW's is gay...

55671690-M.jpg

Is wearing pink gay?

n35203290_30046658_7230.jpg

Guess not...

26032257-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Wow, what a bunch of brains.... "Hey, let's do what is essentially a failure test in our shorts with no ear or eye protection". They have to wear suits of frickin armor at the races, but its nice to see they walk around like beach goers in the garage.
    rolleyes1.gif.

Yeah, them motors are cool. nod.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    nandysso wrote:
    If talking about BMW's is gay...

Is wearing pink gay?

Lots of homosexual men marry hetro because they either haven't figured it out yet, or because they are trying to hide their true nature.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Now run along back to your rainbow stickered holden and leave us alone.

James.

What are you on about lad ? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Wow, what a bunch of brains.... "Hey, let's do what is essentially a failure test in our shorts with no ear or eye protection". They have to wear suits of frickin armor at the races, but its nice to see they walk around like beach goers in the garage.
    rolleyes1.gif.

Yeah, them motors are cool. nod.gif
    Forget the rubbish around it mate & try to get your head around what is going on inside that donk ! Imagine the internal stresses & temps.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Imagine the internal stresses & temps.
    now your speaking my language! lol3.gif

(don't forget, I'm a pocket protector wearing engineer engineer who used to work for Ford Motor Co., I'm impressed by glowing headers and 18,000rpm naughty.gif)
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    my little p-chop job...

56163457-M.jpg

56163457-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    nandysso wrote:
    my little p-chop job...

One Smilie. :puke
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    One Smilie. :puke

Why don't you like? I think it looks very euro. they're rare over here but in Europe about a quarter of these BMW's have these wheels. check out www.e30.de and click fotostories.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2006
    nandysso wrote:
    Why don't you like? I think it looks very euro. they're rare over here but in Europe about a quarter of these BMW's have these wheels. check out www.e30.de and click fotostories.

Honestly it's not the wheels per say (although they would be better in chrome, or gunmetal). I just don't think they look good on a convertable. As much as I don't like verts the other wheels weren't that bad. But those wheels just make the looks of the car very unbalanced.
    www.zxstudios.com
This discussion has been closed.