Options

Announcing PhotoRank

Comments

• Options
    DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Do you have photorank turned off in you javascript for your site?
    No. I have not touched my javascript or anything in my customization. I tried turning it off then on for the specific gallery, still didn't work. I even checked my javascript to see if you guys put it in there by default, nope. Then I thought maybe it'd only work if its enabled on the homepage, still wouldn't let me do it.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    I think that the download stats of the pic are (currently) a major part of its popularity value. I have one pic that contains only a few comments (most of them without rating), but is on today's most popular list. However, the download stats of this pic is (and has been) quite large (sometimes this one pic took up a quarter of my monthly bandwidth): http://www.smugmug.com/popular/today/1/49089484

That makes sense. I looked at the browse page and Gus' bridge is at the top and only has one comment. But it's a great shot and since it's in the dgrin header it probably gets a lot of exposure.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    And, Dutchie - look at your page - no b0rky no breaky! clap.gif

Just wait until i enable the 'popular photo list' box on my homepage. KABOOM!! !!Who hah hah hah!!! (evil laugh)

Just kidding, I guess it will go fine! :D
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    OK not sure how this works. I checked a few 'thumbs up" on a few photos, made sure that PhotoRank was on in each of those galleries, made sure they were public galleries, made sure to turn on the Popular Photos and....nothing. No Most Popular Photos, nothing. The photos indicate the green thumbs up, but the gallery isnt created. Does this only work when someone, other than me, votes on the photos?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    OK not sure how this works. I checked a few 'thumbs up" on a few photos, made sure that PhotoRank was on in each of those galleries, made sure they were public galleries, made sure to turn on the Popular Photos and....nothing. No Most Popular Photos, nothing. The photos indicate the green thumbs up, but the gallery isnt created. Does this only work when someone, other than me, votes on the photos?

Stay tuned... you have one showing now on your popular box..
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    opting out of popular photos - smugmug?
    Checking my website stats today, and I noticed hits several coming from the smugmug.com/popular/today page.

Clicked on the link, and found one of my images (the screenshot is below).

Is there a way to opt out of this WITHOUT making all my galleries private?
    I know the question of opting out of the smugbrowse (or whatever the official term is) has come up before. I'm just interested in opting out of the "popular/today" category.

Luckily, I put a copyright/photo credit on most of my photos. But my concern is that SMUGMUG doesn't credit me-- yes there is a link to my smugmug site-- but that's not technically a photo credit 'cause most people just look at the photo without following the link. It seems like that is like a magazine running a photo without a credit-- and instead telling people to go to a website to find out who shot the photo.

I'm not trying to burn any bridges or rant here 'cause I love the support and help I've gotten... just wondering if I can limit smugmug from using my photos this way without making all my galleries private.

58190687.jpg

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    Checking my website stats today, and I noticed hits several coming from the smugmug.com/popular/today page.

Clicked on the link, and found one of my images (the screenshot is below).

Is there a way to opt out of this WITHOUT making all my galleries private?
    I know the question of opting out of the smugbrowse (or whatever the official term is) has come up before. I'm just interested in opting out of the "popular/today" category.

Luckily, I put a copyright/photo credit on most of my photos. But my concern is that SMUGMUG doesn't credit me-- yes there is a link to my smugmug site-- but that's not technically a photo credit 'cause most people just look at the photo without following the link. It seems like that is like a magazine running a photo without a credit-- and instead telling people to go to a website to find out who shot the photo.

I'm not trying to burn any bridges or rant here 'cause I love the support and help I've gotten... just wondering if I can limit smugmug from using my photos this way without making all my galleries private.
    Hi Pete -

Follow the instructions on page one of this thread - you can disable by gallery, or by your whole site.

The photo says, "photo by (name)" and "see photo in <gallery>"

But man, what a great way to draw traffic to quality photographs like yours.
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    Putting displaySmugPopular = false; in the javascript area did not disable the feature on my front page?? Is that the correct place to put it?
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    ehughes wrote:
    Putting displaySmugPopular = false; in the javascript area did not disable the feature on my front page?? Is that the correct place to put it?

Ed, to disable on your homepage, simply click "remove from homepage" (BUT) you had that boxtop removed from your CSS, so I took care of it for you. It's now in your control panel.

displaySmugPopular = false; WILL make it not work for ANY of your photos. And, you'll miss on a way to draw nice traffic, IMO. In fact, some of your photos were thumbed alread mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    I have a Pro site. It seems the only way I can get the thumbs to appear is by setting Appearance to Smugmug instead of Custom...is this the intended behavior?

frelow.smugmug.com

Hi Rob,

You have popular photos :D
    http://frelow.smugmug.com/popular/
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Ed, to disable on your homepage, simply click "remove from homepage" (BUT) you had that boxtop removed from your CSS, so I took care of it for you. It's now in your control panel.

displaySmugPopular = false; WILL make it not work for ANY of your photos. And, you'll miss on a way to draw nice traffic, IMO. In fact, some of your photos were thumbed alread mwink.gif

Thanks Andy
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Rob,

You have popular photos :D
    http://frelow.smugmug.com/popular/

Yea I saw that :)

Those got there from comments and stars though, the thumbs isn't working. I got your e-mail and I'm sitting tight ;)
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    thanks andy
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Pete -

Follow the instructions on page one of this thread - you can disable by gallery, or by your whole site.

The photo says, "photo by (name)" and "see photo in <gallery>"

But man, what a great way to draw traffic to quality photographs like yours.

Obviously, I missed this thread-- so I appreciate you moving my post here. I changed my (name) to "home" because it seemed to make more sense in terms of page navigation to visitors.

I don't mind drawing traffic to my images-- it's just that (and no offense to fellow smugmuggers) I get plenty of national and international looky-loo traffic already-- it's the folks in my local community I need to get checking out my site so they'll hire me for paid assignments! I mean, I love photography, but I love it more when I get paid for it (and don't we all?)

Thanks to all the help here and the customizing, though, that is slowly happening. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction, as usual.

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 4, 2006
    I was reading in the other thread about rigging the vote. I was already starting to get concerned about that. One thing to consider is overall popularity of a photo vs. current popularity. It is concievable that a photo could get so many votes in a short period of time that it could take a while to unseat it.

A way around this that I have found useful in other systems I work with (knowledgebases and context driven news searching) is to degrade the ranking slowly over time. Say for every day that passes the ranking drops by a percentage. That way the current popular items can float to the top. You want fresh stuff or the system could get stale.

You guys have probably thought of this. If so, ignore me. I tend to overthink things like this.

I am also trying to find a way to let my viewers know what this ranking is about and invite them to participate. Has anyone done this yet?
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    It seems to be working now....must take a while to work its way thru the system? It certainly is not instantaneous.

You can get a photo to be a favorite thru either the "thumbs" or the comments. Here is a feature request: When someone chooses one of the thumbs, that it pop-up or ask for a comment. This way we know who and perhaps why it was chosen. A comment would not be needed, but one requested anyway.

Along those lines, one suggestion for the community: as a courtesy to your fellow smugmuggers, if you choose to indicate a photo as a "favorite" pls leave a comment. Otherwise, it is a mystery as to who and why it was chosen for such an honor.

Thanks
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 4, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    I was reading in the other thread about rigging the vote. I was already starting to get concerned about that. One thing to consider is overall popularity of a photo vs. current popularity. It is concievable that a photo could get so many votes in a short period of time that it could take a while to unseat it.

A way around this that I have found useful in other systems I work with (knowledgebases and context driven news searching) is to degrade the ranking slowly over time. Say for every day that passes the ranking drops by a percentage. That way the current popular items can float to the top. You want fresh stuff or the system could get stale.

You guys have probably thought of this. If so, ignore me. I tend to overthink things like this.

I am also trying to find a way to let my viewers know what this ranking is about and invite them to participate. Has anyone done this yet?

I think you would have thoroughly enjoyed the very, very lively discussions here at Smugmug HQ for the past few weeks. eek7.gif

Keep up the great feedback. This feature took a leap of faith to send it live and I'm sure we'll be fine tuning it for a long time to come.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 4, 2006
    Sheaf,

Yep, I tend to start those discussions here at work.

So is this an indication that there is a methodology in place or a "wait and see" and we will fix it when it stalls plan? headscratch.gif

Leap of faith? Who did you have to push off the cliff? mwink.gif

Either way, it is a cool feature. I had a few pictures pop up that I really did not think anyone was looking at. Talk about a shocker.

I really would like to see the stats to get an idea of photos that I should delete. I know I have a bunch out there that need to go. I keep them because occasionally others find a redeeming quality.

Statcounter works good but it does not tell me if the person liked the photo.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    Sheaf,

Yep, I tend to start those discussions here at work.

So is this an indication that there is a methodology in place or a "wait and see" and we will fix it when it stalls plan? headscratch.gif

Leap of faith? Who did you have to push off the cliff? mwink.gif

Either way, it is a cool feature. I had a few pictures pop up that I really did not think anyone was looking at. Talk about a shocker.

I really would like to see the stats to get an idea of photos that I should delete. I know I have a bunch out there that need to go. I keep them because occasionally others find a redeeming quality.

Statcounter works good but it does not tell me if the person liked the photo.

There is definitely a methodology involved. Without giving too many secrets out, we wanted a system that would truly reward the great photographs and give them some exposure, but we also wanted a healthy rotation of photos at the top.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    I have a Pro site. It seems the only way I can get the thumbs to appear is by setting Appearance to Smugmug instead of Custom...is this the intended behavior?

frelow.smugmug.com

Rob, I've got thumbs on your site:
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 4, 2006
    Prints available for purchase that shouldn't be
    Okay, I read through this entire thread, hopefully I didn't miss anything. But I've only got one gallery where prints are able to be purchased. All the others are turned off for printing. However, it seems that when I click on a popular photo on my home page, which takes me to all of them, the shopping cart shows up for every picture. Am I missing something?
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    bygates wrote:
    Okay, I read through this entire thread, hopefully I didn't miss anything. But I've only got one gallery where prints are able to be purchased. All the others are turned off for printing. However, it seems that when I click on a popular photo on my home page, which takes me to all of them, the shopping cart shows up for every picture. Am I missing something?

On it.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    shopping cart
    Barb:

Same thing happened to me (popular photo with shopping cart), but when I clicked on the shopping cart, it said the photo wasn't really available for sale. Is this what you're talking about?

• Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    Barb:

Same thing happened to me (popular photo with shopping cart), but when I clicked on the shopping cart, it said the photo wasn't really available for sale. Is this what you're talking about?

Hmmm, well when I add one of the photos that I do not have for sale, it is available to buy.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    bygates wrote:
    Hmmm, well when I add one of the photos that I do not have for sale, it is available to buy.
    I'm sorry this is happening. If you're worried about it, I would suggest removing it from your homepage temporarily until we can figure out how to fix it.

Regardless, this is not intended.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited April 4, 2006
    So to answer the natural curiosity about how the ranking works, we'd love to say but that would let the gaming begin. Just like Google doesn't tell you about Page Rank and everyone tries to game their system, I'm sure we'll see people try to game this and the more we tell them the more chance of success they'll have.

We are going to tweak the forumla to give the best results but also change it from time to time to keep the spammers and gamers at bay.

I keep getting sucked into all these new poplular images I hadn't seen before... Can't....get.....work........done!

http://yoda.smugmug.com/popular/1/62874650/Large

62874650-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    Baldy wrote:
    I keep getting sucked into all these new poplular images I hadn't seen before... Can't....get.....work........done!

Agree completely Baldy......but I also noticed that 'popular" does not necessarily mean 'good'. Thats ok, but I really wonder how some got voted as popular.
  • Options
    mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    Could I suggest reversing the thumb icons? Make the first one the green Thumbs Up and the second on the red Thumbs Down? It just strikes me as backwards for some reason, but maybe that's just me... :uhoh
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    mbrady wrote:
    Could I suggest reversing the thumb icons? Make the first one the green Thumbs Up and the second on the red Thumbs Down? It just strikes me as backwards for some reason, but maybe that's just me... :uhoh

Rank a few more photos and notice their placement. umph.gif
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    Sheaf wrote:
    I'm sorry this is happening. If you're worried about it, I would suggest removing it from your homepage temporarily until we can figure out how to fix it.

Regardless, this is not intended.

I just thought I'd bring it to your attention. I'm not worried about it. I love the new feature!
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Rob, I've got thumbs on your site:

I figured it out, it was this code in my Body Tag

<body onload="OnLoadHandler();"> <body onload="doOnLoad();">

I don't even remember what that code does, or why I put it there lol. Problem FIXED!