Options

Announcing PhotoRank

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    As an update, I am only noticing the drag on older machines running XP, my macs and newer XP systems are not affected. On an older XP system it is a really annoying amount of drag. All of these are running firefox.
    I'm having performance issues, too. I used the voting feature for the first time yesterday and I experienced an immense slowdown in the tab when I hovered over a picture waiting for the thumbs to show up. A couple of times the tabs even hung for a minute or two without consuming any CPU. I even could switch to other tabs in Maxthon (have been using this one all the time - practically just a new GUI for IE6).
    Also I had a JS error when I clicked on 'add comment' so that the textfields didn't show up. I think this happened the first time and could be very much be PhotoRank related.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 6, 2006
    asamuel wrote:
    err...Im a standard user, I dont think I can force gallery styles. Does that mean Im out?

Correct. Locking a viewing style in a gallery is currently only an option available to power and pro users.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Is anyone voting thumbs down? I find myself either giving it a thumbs up, or giving it a pass...

I have been clicking thumbs down on photos that I didnt think were even passable as good, ones that appeared to be just photos somene clicked to try out the new feature. I figured if I did, it would push down its rank...so far, havent noticed much impact...though maybe there isnt enough time yet.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited April 7, 2006
    Oh. My. Gosh. Your photos take my breath away. No wonder they're popular.
  • Options
    LOVEphotosLOVEphotos Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    view today link
    Overall good work on the thumbs up/down feature thumb.gif

BUT...
    when viewer clicks on MY "most popular photos gallery" ...

on that gallery page ... it has a link(view today . all time) for SMUGMUG popular photos ... just above the buy/cart link.

Do NOT like this ... It does not open in a new window ... literally taking my viewers off of MY site! eek7.gif

I would like to get rid of the link.

Any help would be appreciated... THANKS!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    LOVEphotos wrote:

BUT...

on that gallery page ... it has a link(view today . all time) for SMUGMUG popular photos ... just above the buy/cart link.

Do NOT like this ... It does not open in a new window ... literally taking my viewers off of MY site! eek7.gif

Can I have your website please?
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    LOVEphotos wrote:

BUT...

You can put this in your CSS:

.popularGallery #altViews {
    display: none;
    }

How did I know that? I didn't. I just used Firefox, and the Firefox Web Dev tool (both free) to help me identify the element. Once identified, it's a CINCH to remove :D

I hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    You can put this in your CSS:

.popularGallery #altViews {
    }

How did I know that? I didn't. I just used Firefox, and the Firefox Web Dev tool (both free) to help me identify the element. Once identified, it's a CINCH to remove :D

I hope this helps!

YES! it did help ... and THANKS Andy for your help :D
    BTW, I do have firefox ... just need to locate that Web Dev tool thumb.gif
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    LOVEphotos wrote:

BUT...

Oops! Bug!

Just fixed.

Don
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    LOVEphotos wrote:
    I do have firefox ... just need to locate that Web Dev tool thumb.gif

...link in my sig.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    onethumb wrote:
    Oops! Bug!

Just fixed.

Don

Thanks! Don for fixing.

One mo' thing ... for now anyway :D

on that gallery page ... it has a "what's this" link .

This link also takes MY viewers off of my site to the SMUGMUG help photorank page.

Again...
    Do NOT like this ... It does not open in a new window ... literally taking my viewers off of MY site!
    I would like this link removed ... basically, I dislike any smugmug links that takes my viewers completely off of my site.

IMO ... these links by default should open in a NEW window or just be a small pop-up window.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    ...link in my sig.

Thanks again Andy ... I'm going to go and download it now thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    off topic here... but here it goes

suggestion
    *the "powered by smugmug" link in the footer should also open in a new window.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    LOVEphotos wrote:

Thanks! Don for fixing.

One mo' thing ... for now anyway :D

on that gallery page ... it has a "what's this" link .

This link also takes MY viewers off of my site to the SMUGMUG help photorank page.

Again...
    Do NOT like this ... It does not open in a new window ... literally taking my viewers off of MY site!
    I would like this link removed ... basically, I dislike any smugmug links that takes my viewers completely off of my site.

IMO ... these links by default should open in a NEW window or just be a small pop-up window.

Hi again Lovephotos. It would sure help if you'd list your site as I requested. But anyhow, you can put this in to your CSS:

.popularGallery #breadcrumb .note {
    }

And your viewers will not have the help link that brings them here:
    http://www.moonriverphotography.com/help/photorank.mg

How did I know? I didn't :D I used FF and the FF web dev tool to identify the element. SmugMug always makes it so that you can have your page your way. We may or may not change this for customized sites by default. But we always give you the option to have it your way thumb.gif
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    Baldy wrote:
    Oh. My. Gosh. Your photos take my breath away. No wonder they're popular.
    :): Thanks!
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi again Lovephotos ...you can put this in to your CSS:

.popularGallery #breadcrumb .note {
    }

And your viewers will not have the help link that brings them here:
    http://www.moonriverphotography.com/help/photorank.mg

How did I know? I didn't :D I used FF and the FF web dev tool to identify the element. SmugMug always makes it so that you can have your page your way. We may or may not change this for customized sites by default. But we always give you the option to have it your way thumb.gif

Thanks again for your help ... I did download the FF web dev tool ... tried to utilize it ... I displayed ID and Class, & CSS info for my site.

BUT, it didn't help me ... I probably need to learn how to decipher css codes in order to be able to utilize this tool.

Once again BIG thanks :D
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    LOVEphotos wrote:

BUT, it didn't help me ... I probably need to learn how to decipher css codes in order to be able to utilize this tool.

Once again BIG thanks :D

No deciphering, just using. Go for Information>display element information. And use the "edit css" command. Super thumb.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=30202
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=28008
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=26226&highlight=firefox
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    No deciphering, just using. Go for Information>display element information. And use the "edit css" command. Super thumb.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=30202
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=28008
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=26226&highlight=firefox

THANKS! I really, really appreciate your help :):
    I do wanna learn ... so, I can fish & feed myself ... I did what u said above ... still hungry headscratch.gif

For an example ... I was trying to get rid of the cartbuttons/link on my popular page gallery ... looking @ the display element info .. I inserted these 2 different codes..

.popularGallery #cartbuttons .nav {
    }

.popularGallery #cartbuttonsnav .title {
    }

BUT, no success eek7.gif no cigar ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    LOVEphotos wrote:
    THANKS!

BUT, no success eek7.gif no cigar ne_nau.gif

http://msdigital.smugmug.com/popular/

A few days ago I posted this...
    Please see this post in the customization forum:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=31429

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    A few days ago I posted this...
    Please see this post in the customization forum:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=31429

thumb.gif

Thanks Andy again and again :): thumb.gif ... sometimes I get overwhelmed with so much info available :D

Have a Super Saturday!
  • Options
    AOguruAOguru Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    I have been clicking thumbs down on photos that I didnt think were even passable as good, ones that appeared to be just photos somene clicked to try out the new feature. I figured if I did, it would push down its rank...so far, havent noticed much impact...though maybe there isnt enough time yet.

I agree. How did this picture
    http://www.smugmug.com/popular/all/58/60868181
    make it on the ALL TIME list?

Also, how do we get 100 pictures in a row of the same subject?

Seems some work on the algorithm is needed?

Bob

PS incorrect reference above: this is the image I intended:

http://choi-toy.smugmug.com/gallery/1283963/3/60868181
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2006
    AOguru wrote:
    I agree. How did this picture
    http://www.smugmug.com/popular/all/58/60868181
    make it on the ALL TIME list?

Bob

Hi Bob,
    What a great shot that is. But you'd probably need to know Dale...

That's a guy who is LOVED by zillions. And, if you'll notice the caption, you'd see that he recently had a motorcycle accident that left him a quadriplegic. His photo was voted most popular on day one of PhotoRank because a ton of people are supporting him.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2006
    Permission to nerd out requested
    Question: what do the SM team members think about a discussion of possible algorithms for powering the ranking engine? I found the theory of this an interesting topic and put a little thought into it. My ideas might be naive compared to what was actually implemented; I'm sure they are different. I don't want to reverse engineer what you have done, but rather just discuss possible approaches just for the fun of thinking about it.

If this is uncomfortable because it comes too close to topics you'd prefer to keep secret, I'll respect that. If not, I'll post.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Bob,
    What a great shot that is. But you'd probably need to know Dale...

That's a guy who is LOVED by zillions. And, if you'll notice the caption, you'd see that he recently had a motorcycle accident that left him a quadriplegic. His photo was voted most popular on day one of PhotoRank because a ton of people are supporting him.

Andy,

I made a big mistake in referencing the image i was talking about. It is this one:

which, when I looked at the All Time Favorite Photo list this morning was number 855. The 5 star comment also helps in the favorite ranking. Just seems photos like this are not what you intended for the favorites list?

I definitely did not mean to refer to Dale's photo. I Just copied the URL when I was on page 58 of all time list. Apparently that doesn't work?

Bob
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2006
    AOguru wrote:
    Andy,

I made a big mistake in referencing the image i was talking about. It is this one:

which, when I looked at the All Time Favorite Photo list this morning was number 855. The 5 star comment also helps in the favorite ranking. Just seems photos like this are not what you intended for the favorites list?

I definitely did not mean to refer to Dale's photo. I Just copied the URL when I was on page 58 of all time list. Apparently that doesn't work?

Bob

/popular changes minute-to-minute :D so, no problemo! Thanks for the heads up on the other photo...
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    /popular changes minute-to-minute :D so, no problemo! Thanks for the heads up on the other photo...

Andy,

One suggestion I would offer (may be old by now) for /popular is to limit the number of available pictures on the today (and maybe all time) galleries to some reasonable number ( <<100 that we see now) per photographer/site.

Bob
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2006
    AOguru wrote:
    Andy,

One suggestion I would offer (may be old by now) for /popular is to limit the number of available pictures on the today (and maybe all time) galleries to some reasonable number ( <<100 that we see now) per photographer/site.

Bob

Thanks Bob :) You know you can adjust what's presented to you - by switching viewing styles: smugmug small= 9/page smugmug=15/page and traditional=16 per page larger thumbs...

And, as this gets going, with a more broad appearance of thumb-ers, then the variety will become greater, too...
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks Bob :) You know you can adjust what's presented to you - by switching viewing styles: smugmug small= 9/page smugmug=15/page and traditional=16 per page larger thumbs...

And, as this gets going, with a more broad appearance of thumb-ers, then the variety will become greater, too...

Either I missed your point or you missed Bob's. His suggestion is that no single photographer/site be allowed more than some small number of most popular shots at a time. As you get off the first few pages you'll find zillions of shots of the same (sometimes very boring) event. Bob's suggestion is like a circuit breaker to keep that from happening.

It really has nothing to do with the presentation of the results.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Either I missed your point or you missed Bob's. His suggestion is that no single photographer/site be allowed more than some small number of most popular shots at a time. As you get off the first few pages you'll find zillions of shots of the same (sometimes very boring) event. Bob's suggestion is like a circuit breaker to keep that from happening.

It really has nothing to do with the presentation of the results.

Thanks for the clarification!
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    A really good example of Bob's issue is on display right now starting on page 8 of the Todays Most Popular. There are a couple of solid pages of shots from an event for Vietnamese Americans held at the University of Texas.

Without critiquing the shots, it's fair to say they are of limited interest as photography per se. It's fairly easy to understand how they got there: participants and their friends and family scanning through all the shots of the event and maybe giving a thumbs up to many of them. And in some sense that does make them very popular.

But is this the kind of popularity SM is looking for?

I thought about Bob's suggestion a little more. Here is a slightly different idea. Rate the popularity of galleries instead of pictures and show the most popular shot in the gallery as the representative of the whole gallery. That won't stop people trying to game the system, but it will stop innocent incidents like this. And it will tend to call attention to more of a photographer's work by showcasing an entire gallery instead of just one shot.
    If not now, when?