arroyosharkarroyoshark Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Jamoke wrote:

Canon 10D
    - 1.742 lbs
    28-105 - 0.82 lbs
    Sigma 12-24 - 1.356 lbs

Total - 3.918 lbs

Doesn't sound like a lot - but after about 20 miles it'll start to feel like 10 lbs, and after 40 miles it will feel like 20 lbs. But I think it's the smartest 4 lbs a photographer could take.

Guess I cannot debate that your recommended kit is not the smartest 4 lbs. a photographer could take. But....it is my opinion that it is not the smartest 4 lbs. a philmont backpacker could take.

Scouters backpacks will likely weigh in at around 35+ lbs, with pack & frame, personal stuff and group stuff, plus water. It stays fun if you keep pack weight at a level a scouter can carry all day.

If its going to be a DSLR in the kit, then I'd take just one lens that I would leave on the camera all the time. That way you can keep weight down and dust off the sensor. I think I would opt to buy the Sigma 17-70mm digital zoom for this trip, rather than the Canon 17-40mm. All reports I can find indicate its a sharp lens, weighs only 16 oz. and costs 1/2 the 17-40mm. It covers, what I believe, the most useful range for Philmont in one lens.

I like the idea of securing a camera to both shoulder straps to keep it from swinging. There is nothing so irritating as a camera or binocular banging against your chest as you hike rugged terrain. Also a swinging camera is going to slam a lot of rock outcrop along the trail out here. Wait till you take out the horses, which seem to know which side your camera is on, and which aim to brush you into a tree or outcrop on that side. I would not take a tripod or even a monopod...you will tire of carrying it. Maybe one of theos ultralight table top tripods that fold flat would work....easy to set up on boulder.

After Philmont, then one could sell the Sigma 17-70mm and get the Canon 17-40mm. Or...one might discover it a most effective travel lens.

I kinda think that it is important to remember Philmont is an outdoor high adventure experience first of all. A camera is great to record the experience and sights, but it is not really a photo safari where the emphasis is on taking lots and lots of photographs.
    Available light is any damn light that's available -W. Eugene Smith
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    i agree... but i've yet to see a review on the Sigma 17-70ne_nau.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited April 14, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    i agree... but i've yet to see a review on the Sigma 17-70ne_nau.gif

Try:

www.ephotomagazine.com/tests/

www.photozine.de/8Reviews/

www.pbase.com (this site has lots of posted photos with various lenses)

Also Popular Photography magazine reviewed the lens in most current issue.

Hope that helps
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2006
    update:

End of July... Trek 13...Philmont Scout Reservation.

oiy. this is going to be a hot-one. but we chose a trek with enough free time so i'll be able to get some shaweeet photos.9496500-Ti.gif...i think a 4 gig is in order.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Backpacking Light.com article:
    Boy Scout Gear List: Philmont Scout Ranch, New Mexico, Summer
    Philmont Guidebook to Adventure: "Remember, the key to successful backpacking is to go lightly."

• Options
    edited April 19, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    Backpacking Light.com article:
    Boy Scout Gear List: Philmont Scout Ranch, New Mexico, Summer
    Philmont Guidebook to Adventure: "Remember, the key to successful backpacking is to go lightly."

That's a pretty good and informative article. A scouter is pretty much going to carry a 30 lb. back pack. Could be a bit more too.

The Philimont experience is so much more high tech these days. Used to be scouters would pick up a felt cowboy hat in Cimarron on their way to headquarters...now it's a Dorf-hat. But a hat of anykind is a necessity.

One area that I disagree with in the article is choice of fill for sleeping bags. I believe a scouter is better served with a light weight 25-degree synthetic filled mummy bag. Kelty makes an excellent one for around $75-80 that packs not much larger than a down bag. The sythetic bags dry quicker and when wet will still insulate. Down is all gone if it gets wet. July in New Mexico is "monsoon" season. Plan for one or two 10-20 minute rainstorms each day.

Philmont tents and cook gear are heavier than high tech stuff, but it still won't be a deal-breaker.

Having seperate sleeping clothes that never get near food odors is right on.

A ultra-lite therma-rest inflatable pad trumps a folding rigid foam pad by along shot. Just be sure to also take a tube of seam sealer, especially if you decide to use a tent without a floor.

Preparing your body for the trek is also right on. My son and I already live at 7000', but took many long walks, including some with loaded backpack, before the trek.
  • Options
    jaysonmcjaysonmc Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 8, 2006
    My Experience
    Just some suggestions from my personal experiences.

Day Hiking:
    Domke Shoulder Bag
    D200
    35mm f2 Prime
    20mm f2.8 Prime
    Lens cloth and cleaning solution

Trekking Poles - Convert one into a mono pod using some velcro and a tripod head mount

Lens Caps - Put velcro on lens cap and bottom of the camera so you can stick it real quick.

Backpacking
    Keep main gear around ~30lbs
    Hang D200 from neck. Stick in bag for serious climbing
    35mm f2 Prime
    20mm f2.8 Prime
    Lens cloth and cleaning solution

I recently hiked 22 miles round trip on a backpacking excursion. Did not have any issues.
  • Options
    dups41dups41 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2006

And bring a pillow. Nothing ruins a nights sleep like not having your head supported properly.

rolleyes1.gifQuoted for truth!

Easy to forget before a trip. Easy to remember when a sleeping bag stuff sack with a jacket inside is making sleep difficult after a day spent covering too many miles.
  • Options
    ysr612ysr612 Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    I have done Philmont twice and one trip was the hardest they offered (+ a side hike over baldy) the other was a nice 86 mile walk. both trips the lightest pack was 42# heaviest was 51#.

I took a Minolta weathermatic and a disposable pan camara. Mostly you will be shooting wide angle. It will not be too cold (lows low 50 high 40) you may be in the snow in Jul.

it depends on your group in both of our groups we redistributed the wgt to make things fair. One they just blanced needed items the other they did full packs ie.(camp chairs exct.)

if I did it again. I would try to split the photo tools among the group. lots of memory and a photo voltic charger.

these are what I got just scanned in and nothing else.

http://ysr612.smugmug.com/gallery/1452989
  • Options
    maljomaljo Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 31, 2006
    Backpacking
    I take a D2X + 12-24 zoom + 105 macro
    and a Gitzo carbon tripod

If you're expecting wildlife (Alaska or Yellowstone)
    add an 300 f4 or 80-400 zoom.

keep it as light as possible but bring what you're
    likely to need.

maljo

Nikon D2X + 12-24 zoom + tripod backpacking:
    rainbow%20falls%20flowers.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2006
    i'm thinking just have like a 1 gig and 2 2gig memory cards, my 3 batteries. and a battery charger for when we hit camps maybene_nau.gif , anyways. have all that in a ziplock bag inside a ziplock bag. then keep my 10D and 17-40 inside a toploader bag that i can keep around me that won't be too heavy...ne_nau.gif i'm using an exterior frame back pack BTW, so i could just tie it on there i suppose.ne_nau.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    vest
    also think about a photographers vest with lens pockets etc-you may be able to get away without needing a separate camera pack that way-although a small lowepro ,say the micro trekker 11 ,will attach to your larger hiking pack.

a vest though is useful for day walks away from camp as it allows you to change lenses faster than having to go into a pack
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2006
    gtc wrote:
    also think about a photographers vest with lens pockets etc-you may be able to get away without needing a separate camera pack that way-although a small lowepro ,say the micro trekker 11 ,will attach to your larger hiking pack.

a vest though is useful for day walks away from camp as it allows you to change lenses faster than having to go into a pack

only taking the 1 lens. i'm not too much for taking my 70-200 on the trip...

BTW, heres my trek i'm doing
    http://www.danyoder.com/philmont/trek.asp?trek=11 should be funmwink.gif looks like some great photo-ops of the valleys.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    If camping from a vehicle, bring what you can fit in the car. If you are lugging junk on your back, take as little as possible

Worst regret...hiking. If I only had...not hiked. I could have...driven mwink.gif

digicam, snickers, water bottles, matches, map, flashlight, sunglasses, hat, walking stick, knife, tent/bivy/plastic tarp.

http://www.bdi.com/content/sec.php?section=BigDog

water kills. Protect everything from water...everything. It only takes a dunk in a river or sudden downpour to find out what gets destroyed, what washes away, and what little is still dry. Plastic bags, containers, etc are very important. If it can get damaged by water, it must be protected.

Don't rely on gravity to keep things on your pack or in pockets. Use closers, straps, etc to physically attach things you want to keep in the event of an upset of one sort or another. Pockets that do not close are not safe for storage.

Plastic bin bags to lie on so your clothes don't get wet. Siwss Army knife or similar to cut things that have got aught on wire etc or to fish bits of of things if necessary. Mobile phone & charged battery to call for the Light Brigade. Extra lens cloths, you bound to get spot of rain on the lens. Suntan cream.
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    vangogh wrote:
    Plastic bin bags ...

clear plastic bags, if you can at all find them. way too many people in our troop have used rubbish bags to keep stuff dry - and way too many other people have been 'helpful' taking the trash to the dumpster when they leave the campsite. you can imagine the outcome.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2006
    okay, i leave on tuesday evening. got any last advice? i'm just gonna take my 10D and 17-40 in a toploader i'll strap around my waist.

thanks and i'll be sure to post photos for when i get backthumb.gif

Daniel

Philmont here i come.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Take a pint of the good stuff.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Take a pint of the good stuff.
    lol3.gif

sid, this is a Boy scout camp... but i'll make that suggestion to the adults going.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    Lord Barthok SocLord Barthok Soc Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    okay, i leave on tuesday evening. got any last advice? i'm just gonna take my 10D and 17-40 in a toploader i'll strap around my waist.

Daniel

Philmont here i come.

I envy you.

Well, as you've decided on your camera equipment (good choice IMO, doesn't look like the sort of trip you'll be wanting a lot of gear for) I'll just give general advice thumb.gif

Make sure that toploader is strong enough to take lots of hard knocks without damage to your camera, waterproof (don't ever trust just one layer of waterproofing/ziplocks etc) and tight against you. You don't want it bouncing around as you walk, or putting too much strain on you.

Also, you make no mention of who exactly you'll be hiking with. Security may be a factor to consider...I know I wouldn't want to leave my camera outside my tent.

Not sure how much you've already been told, but for general camping/hiking, the advice on well worn-in boots (or even trainers) and two pairs of socks is very true. This is not the time to break in new boots! I've seen people sorely regret trying to do that, as the results were invariably bloody... Keeping your shoes done up as tight as possible will also help prevent sore feet.

In addition, make sure you take as many changes of socks as you can, wash your feet regularly and use talcom powder, especially between the toes. Sweaty/wet skin will rub, soften and blister. This doesn't just apply to feet, so make sure you're soaking up the sweat around waistbands/shoulder straps etc.

Bug spray, wet wipes (for easily refreshing those sweaty areas) and liquid antibacterial gel soap that doesn't require water (for the hands before meals/first aid) and a multitool/knife are handy things to take along, take up little space and make your life so much more comfortable. Toilet paper you never want to forget. Some people's bowels don't take kindly to the change in diet when they go camping, so, yeah..... :uhoh
    :uhoh
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2006
    DanielB wrote:

Daniel

Philmont here i come.

He should be having a good trip. Finally, we have been having a couple of weeks of daily rains in NM...some have been real soakers. In fact in fanta se, its fixing to rain again shortly. Most of the National Forests have re-opened with only stage 1 restrictions (campfires at improved campsites in established firerings). This should have a positive effect in keeping dust at bay. Hope he took a plastic bag to put his camera in.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2006
    Also, you make no mention of who exactly you'll be hiking with. Security may be a factor to consider...I know I wouldn't want to leave my camera outside my tent.
    i don't have a worry about that, i've known all the people i'm going with and the dads since i was a Tiger Cub *kindergarden* and they respect my photograhy passion. oh, and good deal! i'm Crew leader so i get to plan how far we walk and when we stop on what i want. so that means i can take photo breaks as often as neededclap.gif
    Not sure how much you've already been told, but for general camping/hiking, the advice on well worn-in boots (or even trainers) and two pairs of socks is very true. This is not the time to break in new boots! I've seen people sorely regret trying to do that, as the results were invariably bloody... Keeping your shoes done up as tight as possible will also help prevent sore feet.

In addition, make sure you take as many changes of socks as you can, wash your feet regularly and use talcom powder, especially between the toes. Sweaty/wet skin will rub, soften and blister. This doesn't just apply to feet, so make sure you're soaking up the sweat around waistbands/shoulder straps etc.

nod.gif i've got ultra thick padded socks, broken in hiking boots, and sock liners.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited July 16, 2006
    He should be having a good trip. Finally, we have been having a couple of weeks of daily rains in NM...some have been real soakers. In fact in fanta se, its fixing to rain again shortly. Most of the National Forests have re-opened with only stage 1 restrictions (campfires at improved campsites in established firerings). This should have a positive effect in keeping dust at bay. Hope he took a plastic bag to put his camera in.

haven't left yetmwink.gif lol. but we'll be getting there Wed. morning and heading out on thursday. i guess theres gonna be some bad rain those days so we'll have to deal with that. but i'm really looking forward to this and i can't wait to get on the trail.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited July 16, 2006
    You'll do fine. The mountains and canyons can be spectacular in moody weather.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited July 16, 2006
    Daniel,

NM will be great. I was there for a few minutes a couple of weeks ago (ok,
    maybe seconds--however long it took to transit that corner of the Four
    Corners Monument :D). Any how, we rode motorcycles. The rain offered
    a cool change from the heat of the day. We were only held up once on the
    trip by rain--and that was for an hour while a thunderstorm passed through.

Seriously. The rain will be a welcome respit from the heat. Not to mention
    the T-storms you'll likely get to see as well as the wonderful light both before
    and after the storm.

Have a great time and be sure to bring back lots of pictures.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited July 17, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    i don't have a worry about that, i've known all the people i'm going with and the dads since i was a Tiger Cub *kindergarden* and they respect my photograhy passion. oh, and good deal! i'm Crew leader so i get to plan how far we walk and when we stop on what i want. so that means i can take photo breaks as often as neededclap.gif

nod.gif i've got ultra thick padded socks, broken in hiking boots, and sock liners.

Daniel,

Just take care of yourself. This is a wonderful opportunity for lots of amazing and memorable things, but safety is still paramount.

I recommend 2 socks while hiking, one thin pair next your foot, and the thick pair over that. It greatly reduces blisters having sock rub against sock, instead of your feet constantly rubbing. You also get more days out of the thick socks. Just alternate between days to give the "off" pair a breather. (Ideally, the thin sock should be a "wicking" type, but nylon dress socks work pretty well.)

I hope you get tons of images, but it's the experience that matters most. Have fun and be safe.

Later,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2006
    last time i'll be on probably till i get back. talk to you guys later and look for me in the Journey's section when i get backmwink.gif

adios, i'm off to new mexico!:jose

Daniel
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited July 18, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    last time i'll be on probably till i get back. talk to you guys later and look for me in the Journey's section when i get backmwink.gif

adios, i'm off to new mexico!:jose

Daniel

Hasta La Vista Baby! Have a great time and be safe.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2006
    here she isiloveyou.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    In all the discussions of gear to carry, I've missed the item I've always found most useful: the sherpa.

Note in this image that my tripod is tied to the top of Rich's pack. It was only his 17th annual Mt. Whitney dayhike and my 31st so he had junior status.

http://dbdimages.smugmug.com/photos/82879407-L.jpg

As to why the tripod, while some of my panoramas, such as the above work OK handheld, some need a lot more stability. See below:

http://dbdimages.smugmug.com/photos/82879275-L.jpg
    and
    http://dbdimages.smugmug.com/photos/84434955-L.jpg

Try these at 'O' size

Dale Dalrymple
    dbdimages.smugmug.com
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies
  • Options
    ltdesignphotovideoltdesignphotovideo Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    I'm an avid hiker but I haven't been out for very long, a matter of a few days. As far as clothes, that depends on how long you're gone, where you're going and what time of year it is.

For a week of hiking I take:

one pair of warm clothes

3 or 4 pair of seasonal clothes (ex. shorts and tees) I usually do my hiking in spring and fall, it's cooler here in North Carolina during those times.

one pair of boots (water proof or water resistant)

water bottle (you determine the size)

plenty of socks

a tent

sleeping pad

sleeping bag or blanket (usually a blanket works for me)

some small cans of food

dried food (jerky is a wonderful thing)

and of course,

Camera Gear (camera, lenses, memory cards, batteries)

I don't take a tripod or monopod but that's personal choice. I find I can ly on the ground or lean against a tree to get the stability I want.

All this depends on how "primitive" you want to be. Vehicle access also determines what else I take. Think minimal when you go hiking. Last time I was hiking I had about 35 pounds of gear.

Also, gear balance is important. If your pack isn't balanced it will make the trip awful. Unbalanced equipment sucks on long hikes.

Pain is the name of the game. If you don't like pain, don't go hiking.

On a final note, Tamrac has the new adventure series of camera bags. They are pretty affordable. The bottom half is for camera gear and the top is for clothing, etc..... www.tamrac.com

B & H Photo also has something called "The Pod" that is basically a bean bag with a tripod screw in it that you can use as an alternative to the tripod. They have 3 different sizes.
    :drums
    Lindsay Thompson
    www.grafxcreative.com